The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien "We will not meet again, Elessar"

Can anybody give a clear explanation why Jackson thought it fit to have Galadriel say this line to Aragorn as The Fellowship leave Lothlorien? As we know that they do meet again (in the books) it was pointless to have added this in the movies.

Just another PJ error, I suppose.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"For darkness will flow between us, and it may be that we shall not meet again, unless it be far hence upon a road that has no returning."

These were her words in the book. Could it be that PJ just wanted a more dramatic farewell?

Did Galadriel and Celeborn come to see Aragorn's coronation in the movies? It's so long since I've watched them, I don't remember anymore.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
No, I don't believe they did.

If you remember in the book, at the hill that the company stopped at in Lorien, it was written, "And Aragorn never saw the ... again." I don't know the direct quote. Was PJ trying to recreate this? I know when I first read the books that I got really worried over that line.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas
No, I don't believe they did.

If you remember in the book, at the hill that the company stopped at in Lorien, it was written, "And Aragorn never saw the ... again." I don't know the direct quote. Was PJ trying to recreate this? I know when I first read the books that I got really worried over that line.
I guess the line was just trying to convey the sense of the last time they'd be in this peaceful, beautiful sanctuary - and indeed, perhaps with Faramir aside, this is the last point on Frodo's quest when he feels 'safe'.

Last edited by Sir Kohran; 06-07-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Sir Kohran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Very romantic theories.

I suspect the real reason was that they knew they couldn't get Kate Blanchett back to film the wedding scenes (I know she stated she was only on set a limited time), & popped the line in to explain to the audience why she wouldn't be at her grand-daughter's big day.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
But the audience would have no clue that she was her granddaughter. They may have done that for that reason, but no one would have noticed... well most people wouldn't have, and people who hadn't read the books definetely wouldn't have.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas
I believe the part you're talking about is this-

"At the hill's foot Frodo found Aragorn, standing still and silent as a tree; but in his hand was a small golden bloom of elanor , and a light was in his eyes. He was weapped in some fair memory: and as Frodo looked at him he knew that he beheld things as they once had been in this same place. For the grim years were removed from the face of Aragorn, and he seemed clothed in white, a young lord tall and fair; and he spoke words in the Elvish tongue to one whom Frodo could not see. Arwen vanimelda, namarie! he said, and then he drew a breath, and returning out of his thought he looked at Frodo and smiled.

'Here is the heart of Elvendom on earth, he said, and here my heart dwells ever, unless there be a light beyond the dark roads that we still must tread, you and I. Come with me!' And taking Frodo's hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and came there never again as living man."
(The Fellowship of the Ring, Ch. VI)

Perhaps the quote in the movie also refers to this, as Aragorn never returns to Cerin Amroth. In the books, I believe C & G come with the host of Elves that bring Arwen, so they see the two joined together.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks MatthewM, that was what I was talking about.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:12 AM   #9
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM
'Here is the heart of Elvendom on earth, he said, and here my heart dwells ever, unless there be a light beyond the dark roads that we still must tread, you and I. Come with me!' And taking Frodo's hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and came there never again as living man." [/B] (The Fellowship of the Ring, Ch. VI)
Somewhat off-track, but don't you find it interesting that Tolkien specifies "never again as living man"? Does this not hint towards a return in another state? I've often puzzled about the end of the world according to Tolkien. It is said that the fate of the elves and the fate of man is separate, but I believe that there was something written about how only the destinations after death were different, but that Eru would one day renew the world, and both kinds would dwell in harmony and peace.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Gondor
Somewhat off-track, but don't you find it interesting that Tolkien specifies "never again as living man"? Does this not hint towards a return in another state? I've often puzzled about the end of the world according to Tolkien. It is said that the fate of the elves and the fate of man is separate, but I believe that there was something written about how only the destinations after death were different, but that Eru would one day renew the world, and both kinds would dwell in harmony and peace.
Not sure about seperate destinations after death, but I've thought about the line too. I just always read it and smiled in a bitter sweet sort of way, because it does imply an after life in Middle-earth that you do not read too much of in the narrative of The Lord of the Rings, and although Aragorn does not visit it again as living man, this line implies that in another form he does.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM
Can anybody give a clear explanation why Jackson thought it fit to have Galadriel say this line to Aragorn as The Fellowship leave Lothlorien? As we know that they do meet again (in the books) it was pointless to have added this in the movies.

Just another PJ error, I suppose.
I think it was added simply to give the audience (those that hadn't read the books) the idea that perhaps Aragorn might not survive the coming events. Galadriel's very definite 'We shall not meet again', coupled with the earlier scenes of the mirror etc cause a sense of doubt in the viewer.
That way, when he goes over the cliff edge with the warg they think that he just might possibly actually be dead.
I remember when I saw the films for the first time, although I enjoyed the spectacle of the battles, there was no sense of real danger for Aragorn, as I knew he survived.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruanna
I think it was added simply to give the audience (those that hadn't read the books) the idea that perhaps Aragorn might not survive the coming events. Galadriel's very definite 'We shall not meet again', coupled with the earlier scenes of the mirror etc cause a sense of doubt in the viewer.
That way, when he goes over the cliff edge with the warg they think that he just might possibly actually be dead.
I remember when I saw the films for the first time, although I enjoyed the spectacle of the battles, there was no sense of real danger for Aragorn, as I knew he survived.
I don't think anyone, even the uninitiated, seriously believed Aragorn died at that moment.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Gondor
I don't think anyone, even the uninitiated, seriously believed Aragorn died at that moment.
Well, my twelve year old nephew did. He was quite concerned.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Just to clarify something mentioned towards the top of this thread, Galadriel and Celeborn both do indeed appear at Aragorn and Arwen's wedding in the book. You'll recall that Gimli and Eomer nearly came to blows (in a hilariously courteous fashion) over whether Galadriel was the fairest lady that lived.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #15
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Just to clarify something mentioned towards the top of this thread, Galadriel and Celeborn both do indeed appear at Aragorn and Arwen's wedding in the book. You'll recall that Gimli and Eomer nearly came to blows (in a hilariously courteous fashion) over whether Galadriel was the fairest lady that lived.
That is what happened, In the books.