The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Of the Coming of Men Into the West

This is the first draft of the chapter Of the Naugrim and the Edain

Our basis text is that of Later Quenta Silamrillion given in HoME 11; page 201-243. Wherever the text is different from that this is marked by an editing mark.

The markings are:
NE-CD-xx for the section Concerning Dwarves.
NE-CM-xx for the section Of the Coming of Men into the West and the Meeting of the Edain and the Eldar
NE-KE-xx for the section Of the Kindreds and Houses of the Edain

Some conventions of my writing:
Normal Text is from the basic text that is mentioned above (when I change the basic-Text it will be mentioned)
Bold Text = source information, comments and remarks
{example} = text that should be deleted
[example] = normalised text, normally only used for general changes
<source example> = additions with source information

OF THE NAUGRIM AND THE EDAIN
Quote:
Concerning the Dwarves

§1. Now in time the building of Nargothrond was completed, and Gondolin had been raised in secret; but in the days of the Siege of Angband the {Gnomes}[Noldor] had yet small need of hiding-places, and they ranged far and wide between the Western Sea and the Blue Mountains. NE-CD-01 < GA 150 The people of Caranthir Fëanor’s son dwelt beyond the upper waters of {Gelion}[Duin Daer], about Lake Helevorn under the shadow of the Blue Mountains. At this time> it is said that they climbed {Eredlindon}[Ered Lindon] and looked eastward in wonder, for the lands of Middle-earth seemed wild and wide; but none ever passed over the mountains while Angband lasted. In those days the folk of {Cranthir}[Caranthir] first came upon the Dwarves, whom {they [>} the Dark-elves{]} named the Naugrim; for the chief dwellings of that race were then in the mountains east of {Thargelion}[Radhrost], the land of {Cranthir}[Caranthir], and were digged deep in the eastern slopes of {Eredlindon}[Ered Lindon]. Thence they journeyed often into Beleriand, and were admitted even into Doriath. There was at that time no enmity between Elves and Dwarves, but nonetheless no great love.
NE-CD-02{...}
§4. In the darkness of Arda ....... save in further trading.
NE-CD-03{…}
§6. The father-tongue of the Dwarves ...... the speeches of the Elves.
§7. In their own tongue the Dwarves ...... while the power of the {Gnomes}[Noldor] lasted.
§9. It is reckoned that the first meeting of the Noldor and the Naugrim befell in the land of {Cranthir}[Caranthir] Fëanor’s son about that time when Fingolfin destroyed the Orcs at Drengist NE-CD-04{, one hundred and fifty-five years after the crossing of the Ice, and one hundred and five before the first coming of Glomund the dragon. After his defeat there was long peace, and it lasted for well-nigh two hundred years of the sun.}NE-CD-05 <GA 150 Now, though either people loved skill and was eager to learn, there was little love between the Noldor and the Dwarves. For the Dwarves were secret and quick to resentment, whereas Caranthir was haughty and scarce concealed his scorn for the unloveliness of the Naugrim, and his folk followed their lord. Nonetheless, since both peoples feared and hated Morgoth they made alliance, and had of it great profit. For the Naugrim learned many secrets of craft in those days, so that the smiths of Nogrod and Belegost became renowned among their kin; but the Noldor got great wealth of iron, and their armories became filled with store of weapons and harness of war. Moreover thereafter, until the power of {Maidros}[Maedhros] was overthrown, all the traffic of the dwarf-mines passed through the hands of Caranthir, and thus he won great riches.>
Quote:
Of the Coming of Men into the West and the Meeting of the Edain and the Eldar

§1. Now it came to pass, ....
§2. In a valley among ....
§3. Then Felagund, standing ....
§4. Now these were a part ...
§5. Long Felagund watched them...
§6. Now men awoke ...
§7. Thus it was that Men ...
§8. Now the Eldar were ....
§9. 'A darkness lies behind us....
§10. But Felagund learned from Bëor that there were many other Men of like mind who were also journeying westward. 'Others of my own kin have crossed the Mountains,' he said, 'and they are wandering not far away; and the Haladin, a people NE-CM-01{that speak the same tongue as we}[of a different speech], are still in the valleys on the eastern slopes, awaiting tidings before they venture further. There are also Men {of a different speech,} with whom we have had dealings at times. They were before us in the westward march, but we passed them; for they are a numerous people, and yet keep together and move slowly, being all ruled by one chieftain whom they call Marach.'
§11 Now the Nandor...
§12 Then by the advice .... south of Nan ELmoth.
Quote:
Of the Kindreds and Houses of the Edain

§13. Soon after the departure .... There was great friendship between the peoples NE-KE-01{, though they were sundered in speech, until they both learned the Sindarin tongue.}[.]
§14. Felagund himself ...
§15. The Edain did not ...
§16. Most of these took ... about the Hill of Himring.
NE-KE-02 <GA §130 It is said that in all these matters none save {Inglor}[Finrod] took counsel with King Thingol, and he was ill pleased, both for that reason, and because he was troubled by dreams concerning the coming of Men, ere ever the first tidings of them were heard. Therefore he commanded that Men should take no lands to dwell in save in the north, in Hithlum and Dorthonion, and that the princes whom they served should be answerable for all that they did. And he said: 'Into Doriath shall no Man come while my realm lasts, not even those of the house of Bëor who serve Finrod the beloved.'
§131 Melian said nothing to him at that time, but afterwards she said to Galadriel: 'Now the world runs on swiftly to great tidings. And one of Men, even of Bëor's house, shall indeed come, and the Girdle of Melian shall not restrain him, for doom greater than my power shall send him; and the songs that shall spring from that coming shall endure when all Middle-earth is changed.'>
§17. Many, however, remained ...
§18. The leaders of ...
§19. Then a council and assembly ...
§20. To this Bereg answered....
§21. Then those that ....
§22. But some still answered
§23. During this time the Haladin remained in Radhrost ....
§24. Now the Haladin did not live under ...
§25. Now Haldad had twin children...
§26. Then Caranthir looked ...
§27. But Haleth was proud...
§28. But they remained a people apart....
§29. Now Brethil was claimed ...
§30. In this way it came ....
§31. Now Hador {Glorindol}[Lorindol], ...
§32. The sons of Hador ...
§33. All these were caught ...
§34. The years of the .... that had beheld the Light.
NE-CD-01: This insert from the Grey Annals contains details about the dwelling of Caranthir which are not given elsewhere.
NE-CD-02: These paragraphs were used in Chapter 3.
NE-CD-03: These were also used in Ch. 3
NE-CD-04: I hesitate to use dates, bc at this point I do not know which date is correct. If these dates are fine, they may be retained.
NE-CD-05: This insert from the Annals contains much information about the relations of the Dwarves and the Noldor that we get nowhere else.
NE-CM-01: Christopher Tolkien says that according to a "late note" this information was wrong, and he removed it in the Sil77, as I think should we.
NE-KE-01: Same as the previous one.

This Chapter is very straightforward, and I did not include additions from the Of Dwarves and Men essay in HoME 12 because I believe that is planned to be included in full in VOLUME II. An addition made by Christopher Tolkien in this chapter concerns Melkor's corruption of Men, and is sourced from the Grey Annals, but I have inserted it into the chapter Of Men, as it seemed to fit the subject matter there better.

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 09-01-2017 at 02:24 PM.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote