The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #2281
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
Anything footie related would be great in my book right about now.
*points to her signature*

Football and feminism - what better combination can you have?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #2282
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
Anything footie related would be great in my book right about now.
How about mine?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #2283
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Perfect pio-semenza is literally "sowing", virtute is the Roman quality of "manliness, prowess" from which we derive "virtue"...

I attended a talk on the figure of Ulysses in Dante and elsewhere from which I stole that snippet. Tennyson's version is also brilliant and I'll probably put a bit of that up next...
Old 06-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #2284
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Lush -

Here's some Brazilian fút-ie for you . . .
Old 06-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #2285
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe my two cents...

Great sig pio!

I don't care much for the showing Ronaldo gave ( looked lazy and complacent, did he even run ten yards the whole match!? ), but hey, World Cup madness has me hooked & these sigs are great!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #2286
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Wolves killed on day 1 (Anguirel - WW1, Mithalwen - WW8, Spawn - WW14, Lommy - WWJ3, Fea - WWJ6)?

Combing through the Grimoire...

by those standards i would be in too because i was lynched on first day as a wolf...
Old 06-17-2006, 06:33 PM   #2287
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I like Estel's sig. Go U S of A!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
The US tied Italy today...with 8 men for most of the 2nd half.
Although, wasn't it 9... I'm pretty sure they count the goalie.

Not that I would have known that... until recently. You learn a lot about a sport from watching it; which I actually did today. Can't say I even knew that there are usually 11 guys per team. Can't say I knew that a red card dropped you a player for the rest of the match(although I did know what a red card was). Heck, I didn't even know how long a soccer... oh, excuse me, football match lasts.

Well, I do now anyway. So props to all the World Cup sigs.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:58 AM   #2288
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Blue Butterlfy ~ Papillon Bleu ~ Mariposa Azul ~ Blau Schmetterling ~ Blu Farfalla ~ Blauw Devlinder ~ Azul Borboleta ~ Bla Sommerfugl ~ синий бабочка
wilwa, it's "Paruparong Bughaw" in Filipino, if you're interested. Although we sometimes use "mariposa" and "asul" (s, not z), too.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #2289
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
And it's

Blauer Schmetterling

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #2290
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Tigeehoobeshirt: The sound in your sig is hideously annoying. Apparently I'm not a grown up yet. *breathes a sigh of relief*
Old 06-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #2291
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
How about mine?
That is perfect but I prefer to use the term inflated pig's bladder...... I can ignore the TV and rarely get to see the sports section of the Telegraph..my main problem is resisting vandalising any vehicle dispalying a tawdry version of St George's Cross (so insulting to the flag to render it in plastic and Bri-nylon even without the indignity of having stuff stamped over it) ..and as for the people in football shirts ... does anyone else inevitably think "David Mellor"? Could there be a more unpleasant mental image......

Can't wait for Wimbledon......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #2292
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Can't wait for Wimbledon......
Agreed. I think we should begin a signature uprising with Wimbledon references!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #2293
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Agreed! It already killed Fea.

However, to get back on topic a little, I like Hookbill's (possibly new) siggy:

"And now," said Saruman, "what website will bear you back across so wide a net? It will be a green, hilly site and full of ghosts."
Old 06-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #2294
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!

Chatskwerl says: This thread is closed for 24 hours due to an overabundance of chatting. When it reopens on Monday, all members who posted off-topic comments are requested to edit or delete those posts, otherwise the moderator will do so. Thank you!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #2295
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I sense impending Chat Skwerl wrath and it isn't something for those of very tender years.
I was about to say something about the impending doom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
However, to get back on topic a little, I like Hookbill's (possibly new) siggy:
It is new! I spend a while refreshing the Barrow Downs front page to get hold of the origenal quote, in order to check that I had the right wording!

British Forumers may recognise the joke in the link I included (if you happen to watch BBC dramas every now and again).
Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #2296
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril Moderator's note

This thread is now reopened. May I remind all posters to edit/delete the chat content from their posts. You may also continue posting - but on the topic of this thread, please! Please do remember that Barrow-Downs forum policy allows for private messaging of personal comments, but not for public posts containing them. We are actually rather lenient on this, but when there's more chatting than discussing, we must draw a line. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:06 PM   #2297
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

TORE's sig is great.
Quote:
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." -Obi Wan Kenobi, Star Wars: Episode III

Really Obi? Are you absolutely sure about that?
Ha ha!

Lucas takes a swing at politics... and he misses badly.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #2298
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
TORE's sig is great.
I'll second that. It seems that a large amount of small plot holes keep appearing since Episodes II & III came out.

Roa, in response to your septuple bluff sig... Eomer warms up with septuple bluffs.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #2299
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn
*points to her signature*

Football and feminism - what better combination can you have?!
Having both teams world champions would be a national pride but, to me, this quote screams of sexism. The chancellor seems to be saying if the women are capable getting the championship than surely the men are just being lazy, rather than the women working hard for their accomplishment.

Either way, it is thought provoking.

I also like Narfforc's siggy
Quote:
Debt, Debt, ride to ruin and the banks lending
Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #2300
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Holby, the German chancellor(ess) made that remark with the playful, sly humor that she shows occasionally, very tongue-in-cheek. I like it because it turns around the normal way of making a feminist statement: "If men can do that, so can women"...

I'll second that nomination of narfforc's signature, a parody of his own, I assume. He comes up with such clever versions of LotR names and statements!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #2301
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nice sig Phantom...
Old 06-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #2302
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Being a singleton and a cynic I rather liked Holby's last sig about the 3 rings of marriage - engagement ring, wedding ring , suffering.....

I have a key ring with the sentiment "Better to have loved and lost than to live with the psycho the rest of your life..."

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-20-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #2303
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It is quite embarrasing, when I first saw that I thought: What is a suffe-ring? I actually tried to look in dictionary, to find out what suffe meant.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #2304
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
Nice sig Phantom...
Heh heh. Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself. There's just something amusing about being called a "jerk". I guess now I should switch my sig to Enca calling me an SOB.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #2305
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Why not both? They would compliment each other.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #2306
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
TORE's sig is great.

Lucas takes a swing at politics... and he misses badly.
Well, I'm not sure I'd call it politics but...I won't go off on that on a thread.

I want to second Valier's nomination of phantom's. Pure phantom!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #2307
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Mithalwen's:

"Fenris Wolf - lycanthropes untied."
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:23 AM   #2308
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
To Holbytlass and Esty, Yes it is from The Lord of the Grins, it is where Earmore discovers that he not only has Theocrats funeral to pay for, but also The Lady Earwax who has apparently fallen killing the Witchy-king of Wagner and Lord of the Ring-cyclists.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #2309
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di
Why not both? They would compliment each other.
I took your advice and added Enca's quote... and a couple others.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #2310
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Cute, le fantom. You know I love seeing my name in such an illustrious place.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:49 AM   #2311
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Mith's:
Quote:
"A woman has two choices: either she's a feminist or a masochist."
It amuses me. And it's true.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:07 AM   #2312
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Holby, the German chancellor(ess) made that remark with the playful, sly humor that she shows occasionally, very tongue-in-cheek. I like it because it turns around the normal way of making a feminist statement: "If men can do that, so can women"...
Thanks, always a pitfall to see something out of context or can't hear the tone.
Quote:
Being a singleton and a cynic I rather liked Holby's last sig about the 3 rings of marriage - engagement ring, wedding ring , suffering.....

I have a key ring with the sentiment "Better to have loved and lost than to live with the psycho the rest of your life..."
I had seen it on America's Funniest Home Videos, an elderly chap was saying it to the bride and groom. And for now, I'll keep the psycho, Mr. Holby, I'm probably more the psycho! It did make me laugh.

Sorry, Rune, I am laughing at that mistake!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:13 AM   #2313
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
With daily bread be fed... or dead!
*nods slowly and solemnly* Nice, HI.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #2314
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
Can't you imagine what it's like to BE that sparrow, and know about the darkness? To know that afterward there'll be nothing to remember, ever, except that one moment of the light?
~Small Gods
You guys should stop exploiting my weakness by having Pratchett sigs. I can't help mentioning them. Lovely, beautiful sig from a surprisingly deep book.

Also, a mention goes to Fea for snatching part of our conversation and quoting it. In case anybody wonders what I'd like to nuzzle, it's On Liberty by J S Mill.
Quote:
I think I'll buy it and nuzzle it when bored. Though maybe a bear would be better. ~TGWBS
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #2315
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

The Elf-Warrior's:

Quote:
"The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse." -James Madison
How true.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:22 AM   #2316
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Brinniel has my vote with:

Quote:
"SAVE A TREE: Eat a beaver"
One question is nagging me, though... are beavers juicy? Crunchable?... sigh...

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #2317
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Narya

I have allways wanted a drowsy beaver.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #2318
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I spotted a bumper sticker a few nights ago that read "Save a cow; eat a vegetarian." It's the general sentiment of my entire locality, actually, but it still made me smile. Just like the tree sig.

My current favorite, though, is LMP's

Quote:
"Ism! Ism! Ism!" - from the March of the IsmOrcs, coming to an ATM2 thread near you...
I look forward to this with an excitement bordering on fanaticism.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #2319
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Listen to this. Supposedly, younger people can hear it, but older people can't. Weird.
I love those high-pitched-noises-used-to-annoy-teens stories. And those teens-use-high-pitched-noises-to-send-messages-in-classrooms stories.

Cool bits. I approve.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #2320
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
One question is nagging me, though... are beavers juicy? Crunchable?... sigh...
Mmmm.....beavers. Very tasty. And good with ketchup.

Quote:
Listen to this. Supposedly, younger people can hear it, but older people can't. Weird.
Ow. My ears. And my parents say I'm going deaf.......