The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
thewichtking
Animated Skeleton

thewichtking is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
1420! how long would the movies take if they where true to the books 100%

how long would the movies take if they where true to the books 100%?
i would think about 9-12 hrs per movie please post just to be weird
thewichtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have no idea, really. But I must admit I seriously planned making movies like that when I was 11-13 years old... And I still think it would be cool, kind of.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yeah, I've always wanted to make my own movie as well. There must be hundreds of people like us. If we could all get together...

I don't know if you could make movies totally cohesive to the book. You could get close, certainly, but at some point you have to realize that a movie is a movie, a book is a book, and so a movie will have its own rules. That said, you could be much more faithful to the books than New Line's production if you weren't catering to the plebeians (heck, you could be more faithful AND have better box office ratings, IMO).

But for your question, it depends on who makes the film. If it were me, and I did not care about what non-Tolkien fans thought, or about making money, then I might have to make them about 4 hours long, each, or more, to satisfy my own personal desire of completeness, without being ridiculous.

I think the best format would be a TV series - instead of movie-goers having to sit in their seats 4-5 hours, three times, to enjoy Lord of the Rings: Unabridged, we could break up the story into 20 separate hours, thus having more screen time paced in an enjoyable fashion.

I know that didn't answer your question, the answer to which I couldn't even guess at.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewichtking View Post
how long would the movies take if they where true to the books 100%?
i would think about 9-12 hrs per movie please post just to be weird
100% percent? Every last parcel left by Bilbo for his multitude of grasping rellies? That would be too much even for me ... I don't think it need be anything like that long. The radio series was much closer to the books and took less than 13 hours. Remember that because the Jackson films were geared to those who like lots of battles and violence some things were expanded hugely compared - the battle with the cave troll was just a couple of lines in the book but took about the same time as Lorien which occupies 3 book chapters and there is an awful lot of description. I can't imagine that you would need anything like 3 to 4 times the screen time ot make it uber-faithful even if you include Gildor, Bombadil, all the tooing and froing across Rohan, Imrahil, Faramir and Eowyn properly and the journey home and scouring.

I would guess 16 hours would do - 20 max even if you include the stuff even I am
not bothered with

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
However much people may defend PJ, the radio series is proof that a time-economical adaptation that remains true to the story is possible. Maybe when I am an old man it will happen. *sigh* I hope the next filmmaker who takes on LotR chooses to make it a television miniseries rather than a feature film trilogy. Anywhere between 13 and 15 hours ought to do it.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
However much people may defend PJ, the radio series is proof that a time-economical adaptation that remains true to the story is possible. Maybe when I am an old man it will happen. *sigh* I hope the next filmmaker who takes on LotR chooses to make it a television miniseries rather than a feature film trilogy. Anywhere between 13 and 15 hours ought to do it.
I agree with all of that! Especially doing it on TV - it can be done, Gormenghast was a fantastic production with very high values. And imagine tearing home from work on the day the next episode was screened - that would be something to really look forwards to

But yes, each one would probably be about 12 hours long if it stuck exactly to the text. And I'd flippin' well love it.

What was that German film which followed the life of a village and it was around 10,000 hours (slight exaggeration....) long? Was it Heimat? It was eventually shown in chunks on TV here. And wasn't Das Boot originally a mega-long film?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh Gormenghast was wonderful...must try and get the DVD.. but I think I have most of das Heimat on tape.. the one with the musicians anyway...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I have always hoped for an animated series, because you still have all the fantastic effects you would need with a lot less difficulty. Would love it if Pixar did it, then again I would not expect of them to want to keep it true to the book...

I was thinking on episode is one chapter of the book, that way you get an entire series together.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
thewichtking
Animated Skeleton

thewichtking is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
1420!

I was thinking on episode is one chapter of the book, that way you get an entire series together.[/QUOTE]

i like that idea
thewichtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

How long before the tech is there to sample all the film images and CGI everyone to your hearts content on your home computer, 5 years? 10 years? 8th Age?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
How long before the tech is there to sample all the film images and CGI everyone to your hearts content on your home computer, 5 years? 10 years? 8th Age?
I don't know, but the current CGI work like in Beowulf was downright creepy as far as the faces of the main characters. I couldn't watch it for the same reason I disliked Polar Express -- the abominable reconfiguring of facial features.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #12
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Location: The cave under the Misty Mountains. Just take a wrong turn in the goblin's tunnels.
MaultheStoor is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I don't think you can make a movie that perfectly imitates the book. I mean, think about it....everyone interprets and imagines the scenes of the book in different ways, and a movie can only be interpreted in one way....

See? You made him mad.
MaultheStoor is offline   Reply With Quote