The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Gorthaur the Cruel
Wight

Gorthaur the Cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Otherworldly light in Lothlorien

When the fellowship reached Lothlorien, Frodo felt that strange deep magic about the land, but more importantly the inexplicable (and beautiful) light that held all the small country in sway. Could it be that Galadriel had used the light of the phial in her attempt to recall the beauty of Valinor into her land? Is is this not the same light that made Tol Galen the fairest dwelling east of the Sea because of the Silmaril of Luthien?
Old 10-02-2015, 04:19 AM   #2
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
I think that Sam described the nature of Lothlorien better than anyone could ever do - it is simply girted and filled altogether with Elven enchantment. Something like Rivendell, but more potent. It is, in my opinion, a living memory of the Uttermost West - the blessed, peaceful, holy land that is now forgotten and removed from the world for ever.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Gorthaur the Cruel
Wight

Gorthaur the Cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

But this mysterious, beautiful Light that gilds the land of Lorien... it is one of the defining features that distinguishes it from Rivendell. Now did this Light come from the Lady's star-glass itself, or did it issue forth from Nenya, her elven-ring?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorthaur the Cruel View Post
When the fellowship reached Lothlorien, Frodo felt that strange deep magic about the land, but more importantly the inexplicable (and beautiful) light that held all the small country in sway. Could it be that Galadriel had used the light of the phial in her attempt to recall the beauty of Valinor into her land? Is is this not the same light that made Tol Galen the fairest dwelling east of the Sea because of the Silmaril of Luthien?
Nice post, for the imagery and love of Elvendom.

Galadriel also had the Elessar, as well as the Phial, both of which draw lines of effect to The Two Trees, in one way or another (former, sky borne Silmaril, latter, 'of the Sun', in one theory).

I'm not at all sure what she used the Phial for, or when it was crafted. I'm sure another poster can elucidate.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galadriel, lorien, phial of galadriel, silmaril, tol galen