User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2005, 02:25 AM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril Island of Sorrow Planning/Discussion Thread

This thread is open to complete the planning for an upcoming Shire Game. Only these people may post on it at present:
  • Anguirel
  • Envinyatar
  • Feanor of the Peredhil
  • Firefoot
  • Piosenniel
  • Child of the 7th Age

All other posts will be deleted.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:27 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Silmaril

Here is the proposal as it stands now:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piosenniel invites you to play in a game co-hosted with Anguirel:

Island of Sorrow

---------------------------------------

Historical Background

The First Age was a time of constant war, the exiled Noldor against the hordes of the Dark Lord Morgoth. Though all the Princes of the Noldor showed valour, none was more courageous than Maedhros, the son of Feanor, who took the lands closest to Morgoth’s fortress at Angband so that the brunt of Morgoth’s attacks would fall on him and his brothers.

For hundreds of years Maedhros and his uncle Fingolfin besieged Morgoth in Angband, and Maedhros made his stronghold at the Chill Mountain, Himring, a castle even Morgoth could never take. But at last, at the Fourth Battle of the Sudden Flame, Morgoth, with a dragon at his side, broke the leaguer around Angband and slew Fingolfin. Maglor, Maedhros’ brother, driven from his domain, joined Maedhros upon Himring, reinforcing it further still. The road south from Himring was secure thanks to the vigilance of the Sons of Feanor, and many refugees found their escape easier. But all those Noldorin Elves who bore arms in those lands hastened to Himring; and their smithies were bright.

Alas, Maedhros marched forth upon Morgoth in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, the Battle of Unnumbered Tears; and after he was betrayed and the battle lost, he fled to Ossiriand, leaving Himring empty and desolate behind him, its walls and gate wrecked by Maedhros’ own catapults to stop the Dark Lord from making use of it.

But by some curious fate, when all Beleriand was sunken in the War of Wrath, Himring alone survived, as an isle, and was called Himling in later ages.

Maedhros, meanwhile, in his eagerness to recover his father’s Silmaril, carried out two Kinslayings at Doriath and Sirion. All his brothers fell in these battles, save Maglor, his comrade at Himring; and of his fate no tale tells.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:28 AM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Silmaril

Basic Storyline

It is the last year of the Third Age. Six Elves, the only survivors of Maedhros’ host, meet at the Grey Havens. They are planning to sail to the ruins of Maedhros’ old fortress at the isle of Himling, paying a final visit to their former home before they sail West. Little do they know what danger bides on this chill, grim remnant of Beleriand.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:29 AM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Silmaril

The purpose of the story is to: Sail to Himling, explore the ruins of Himring, and sail back to the Grey Havens to embark with the Ringbearers into the West.

This means we will know the story is over when: The surviving Elves are sailing to Valinor.

Starting Location: The Grey Havens

Likely destination: Cirdan’s ship
Old 05-18-2005, 02:30 AM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Silmaril

Timeframes

This game takes place in the Third Age at around year 3021.

The storyline itself or plot covers a week.

This game requires a time commitment of 8 - 10 weeks from me, the game owner and from the major players.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:32 AM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Silmaril

CHARACTERS NEEDED

-- Any number of houseless spirits (Coavalta) - Elves

-- Any number of houseless spirits (Coavalta) - Orcs

A player may control more than one should they wish. NO BIOS NECESSARY FOR THESE CHARACTERS.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-04-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Here's my post. Let me know if anything needs to be changed.

~*~*~*~

*** POSTED TO PROPOSAL *** ~*~ PIO

Dreary step by eager step, Lómwë drew ever nearer to the Grey Havens. He and Tasarënì would reach their destination by midday, he estimated. The journey had been long if uneventful, and traveled mostly in silence. It was not that there existed any particular aversion between the two; rather, they had nothing of importance that they cared to share. Lómwë could scarce remember the last time he had had a lengthy conversation of any real import – import to him, that is. The truth was, very little seemed important to him anymore. Now this trip; this was important. It was everything he had longed for and tried to escape for the last six and a half thousand years, and naturally, after so long he had some very strong feelings about it, feelings which he had expressed to no one. He had made it clear early on (subtly) that this topic was not open for conversation on his part, and fortunately Tasarënì did not seem overeager to discuss the subject either. Always though it lurked around the corner, ready to come up in discussion like a dark cloud preparing to storm. So, they hadn’t done a whole lot of discussing.

As was the norm, Lómwë was wrapped in his own thoughts, and currently his mind was turned towards the thought of home. He was going there, he supposed, though he was not exactly sure where “there” was. Certainly, home was not Lórien, where he had dwelt for so many years. In sunken Beleriand? Maybe. Valinor? Perhaps. He honestly wasn’t sure. He had long since lost a feeling of belonging anywhere. He wondered if finding this home, this sense of belonging, was his desire for the trip to Himring – now Himling, he corrected. He honestly did not know, for with the belonging he had also lost an ultimate purpose. It had all seemed so clear before we left Valinor, when Fëanor explained it, he mused. Yet it hadn’t been clear at all, nor was it now.

With a shake of his head, he cleared his thoughts. He had found that dwelling on these things changed the past not at all and his feelings about them hardly. If he did not fear to forget, he would not think of it at all, if he could help it.

Instead he concentrated on the path, for something to do rather than for need. He tried to think of something to say to Tasarënì to lighten the quiet, but found nothing. Thus the remainder of the trip was continued in silence.

They knew they were getting closer as the grey gulls wheeled overhead in increasing frequency. Soon the harbor came into view: the end, and the beginning. One of these grey ships would carry them on a voyage into the past, a past Lómwë felt ready to confront, or at least knew he needed to. It was a past full of sorrow and defeat mingled with valor and glory. Yet none of these were what Lómwë sought.

He sought peace.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-29-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:39 AM   #8
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Apologies, apologies!!!

I'm sooo sorry... I know I promised to have my first post up on Friday but I got home on Thursday for a four day weekend and discovered that my internet is down.

Firefoot, I love your idea of me doing the first part and you getting us there. I'd actually planned on asking if you wanted to do that.

I'll get my first post tweaked and posted and then you can work off of it. Sorry again about the delay... I will definately have my first post up within the next few hours.

Fea wanders off muttering about stupid technology.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 AM   #9
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That's fine, Fea. As for the order, I suggest-

Child of the Seventh Age (in Lindon, provides a link to first post)

Feanor of the Peredhil (summons, journey from Lothlorien)

Firefoot (approach to Grey Havens)

Envinyatur

Piosenniel (opens dialogue I can react to)

So when Fea's post is in, we're ready. That leaves the Imladris group by the ship, with the Lothlorien group and Lindir still encountering Cirdan on their way. If you like you can brush over the poor old chap and skip straight to Malris' boat as the twins did...
Old 05-31-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
First Post (yay, I finished!)

** POSTED TO THE PROPOSAL ** ~*~ PIO

Tasarënì wiped away a quiet tear as she slowly passed through her deserted home for the last time. She had lived in Lothlorien as a maiden of the Lady of the Golden Wood for years beyond count. Though named for her love of the willows, the mallorns quickly became their equals in her heart, and she was loathe to leave them behind. She had watched silently as many of the first born passed from the land, tarrying long. For what had seemed an age, Tasarënì waited for an unknown sign, certain she would recognize it when it came. Every twilight she would walk the silent woods, marvelling. Song birds came to her, singing quiries of her sadness, and she smiled.

She looked to the sky, noting a single ray of starlight passing through the canopy. She smiled softly, eyes downcast. It was time. She turned, glancing for the last time at the water by her feet, the trees that had been her silent companions for many long years, bearing witness to her grief, never condemning her, and never asking of her what she cared not to answer.

A harsh cry pierced the air and she looked up, startled. A swift falcon was weaving carefully through the trees, making its way to Tasarënì. She lifted her arm, sending out a quick prayer that the handsome bird's sharp talons not hold too tightly. He landed gracefully and met her eye with the intelligence of his kind. She looked at him in amazement, noting not without a start the roll of paper bound to his leg.

She removed it quickly with one delicate hand as he perched patiently. With a flick of her wrist, Tasa unrolled the letter, tears coming to her eyes as she received the long awaited message... Malris requested her presence, accompanied by Lómwë, at the Grey Havens. It is time, she thought. Time to go home.

Silently, but with a small smile, Tasarënì walked through the woods, seeking for Lómwë. They would leave at the first light.

--------

So I'm thinking that Tasa's going to be having the falcon with her as she and Lomwe travel back... because she likes birds. And he would make for better conversations than a reluctant Elf.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-31-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:08 AM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

The game is now open for play.

Please remember to remove your signature from every post to the game thread – including SAVES.

Try to fill any SAVES put on the game within 48 hours.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An additional thought:

Please remember to use other writers' characters very carefully.

Don't speak for them or have them perform actions unless it is okayed by the character's owner.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-31-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #12
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Firefoot

Just an FYI -

I've had my character approach yours and ask for his help. Feel free to start a dialog if you wish.

- E -
Old 06-06-2005, 03:03 AM   #13
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

I've sent The Ghostbearer heading westward toward the mouth of the Gulf of Lune . . .
Old 06-06-2005, 04:04 AM   #14
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

A storm is coming! Prepare to repel it, my valiant crew...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Child

Orë's given Lindir a bucket and thrown him a rope if he wants to secure himself to the ship rail.

Prepare to man, or rather, elf the buckets!

- E -
Old 06-06-2005, 05:59 PM   #16
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I do believe that Lindir forgot his umbrella and is getting rather wet!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:44 AM   #17
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Ah, my loves, there seems to have been a break in battle.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:21 PM   #18
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I wouldn't mind seeing something of Lindir, as he is the focus of the Orc attack, assaulted by Ghashthurk himself and three others. I also want to see Envinyatur play with some of the Orcs I've tossed in-Ghashthurk is my precious, the others are fair game...and pio post the reactions of her pet Orc to Tasa's manouevres and proud cry...

EDIT: Is Child having Rita trouble? Should I or pio post Lindir's defence of the Helm?
Old 09-25-2005, 01:44 PM   #19
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
I wouldn't mind seeing something of Lindir, as he is the focus of the Orc attack, assaulted by Ghashthurk himself and three others. I also want to see Envinyatur play with some of the Orcs I've tossed in-Ghashthurk is my precious, the others are fair game...and pio post the reactions of her pet Orc to Tasa's manouevres and proud cry...

EDIT: Is Child having Rita trouble? Should I or pio post Lindir's defence of the Helm?
Ditto. I'd be much appreciative if Tasa's proud cry does nothing more than to cause a brief hesitation and then some derisive laughter.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:58 PM   #20
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Anguirel

It would be best if you carry Lindir at present - I'm soon off to a long day at work followed by another tomorrow.

I'll put up a save for my little Orc and see if I can get that filled in when I return early tomorrow a.m.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #21
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Pio

I'll follow on your lead. Or if I get a chance to post first, you can follow on mine.

- E -