The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2002, 04:05 PM   #1
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Middle Earth Borders

[The original topic was deleted because of a flood of spam. To the spammers: don't think we tolerate that.]

Howlin' Pelle asked:

"So the sea is to the west, but what is to the north, south and east?
Thanks, I've always wondered about that."

Sharku answered:

To the north, there's mainly ice and ice-wastes, that begin with the Forodwaith (see map) up to the North pole. Of old, Morgoth's fortress was there.
To the east, there are more vast lands of Middle-Earth we know very little about; until the east coast of the continent is reached.
Things are similar to the south.

There are other continents on Arda, only hinted on in the books as lands that are 'mortal like Middle-Earth' and knowing death.

There exist drafts of maps by the Professor where Middle-Earth looks like a junction of Eurasia and Africa (Harad and beyond).

Of course, things looked very different before the downfall of Numenor in the 2nd Age, but that is a wholly different story.

Marileangorifurnimaluim answered:

I was going to answer the old realm of the witchking of Angmar to the north, though I guess you meant further north than that. Quite an intimidating fortress if you look at its strategic placement on a map.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 04:23 PM   #2
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No. Off-topic replies to this very post will be deleted, so save your time.

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: Sharku ]
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 04:36 PM   #3
ladyelrond1

Sting

Tolkein mentions very little outside of Middle Earth (I'm not sure if the Southern countries which support Sauron in the war against Gondor count as in Middle Earth, can't remember) and he only mentions really that the peoples from the south are dark of skin, and that oliphaunts come from them, really. I'm not really sure about the other directions though. (by the way, referring to apologies and greetings thread, we are not stupid! I don't know why we're so hyper here though)
Old 03-07-2003, 02:21 PM   #4
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dūm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I would like to know what is outside of Middle-Earth. As said before, Tolkein says very little about the outside borders. I have always wondered about that.

~Burzdol~
Old 03-07-2003, 04:25 PM   #5
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tolkien also stated why we (and he) knew so little about the realms outside North-west M-e.

I think that Sharku already answered the question fully, except that in the South dwells Lord Imrahil at Dol Amroth at the Southern Border of M-E.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 04:25 PM   #6
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Akallabeth mentions many other lands in its desriptions of the travels of the men of Numenor. Unfortunately, there's not enough information to make a map with, although it specifically mentions two areas: The 'dark lands' to the South, and the Gates of Morning to the east.

Shaping of Middle Earth doesn't go into depth on the Dark Lands, but it does when it comes to the Gates of Morning. Apparently, in the East, ME gives way to a sea, beyond which is the Sunlands, a continent 'diametrically opposite' to Valinor, with a wall of mountains lower than Valinor's but still great. One mountain, Kalorme, was made into a 'fortress of the Sun' by the Valar(home of the Maia that drives the Sun?) The Sun would come through the Gates of Morning from the Void every morning, and land in Valinor in the West in the evening. The lands beyond the mountain barrier would probably be a desert, scorched by the Sun's frequent arrivals(I'm guessing on that particular point) and its shore is described as a 'silent beach', so it was probably uninhabited.

But besides that, I don't know much about what was beyond ME. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Meoshi ]
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote