The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting *TTT and ROTK- Boromir (Sean Bean)

Okay: does anyone feel that there should have been more of Boromir in FOTR and a little less in TTT? As a Sean Bean fan, I am all out for any Boromir I can get. But in FOTR, I really got the impression that Boromir was just a stubborn *** who wouldn't listen to anyone, no matter how many times he'd been told; in the book he was a totally good person who did what he knew was right, but unfortunately was tempted by the ring. I would have really liked it if PJ had relied on Boromir's words and actions in FOTR to make him a likeable character, rather than the extra scenes with little brother Faramir in TTT.<BR>Anybody? Bueller?

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:09 PM   #2
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To an extent i do agree with you. But, even though Boromir was portrayed as slightly stubborn, he still didn't seem like that at the end when he tried to save the Hobbits. Also it may have been the rings power that made him seem even more stubborn than he actually was.<P>I liked that scene with him in TTT. Its one of my favorite scenes in the EE.I suppose PJ could have made him seem a little nicer in FotR though.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
Enedbelethiel
Animated Skeleton

Enedbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As a Sean Bean fan myself, I do agree with Beanamir in that Boromir in FoTR seemed more impetuous than I would have liked. However, there were many subtleties of his honor and kindness before his ultimate sacrifice of valor for Merry and Pippin - the swordfighting lessons for the hobbits, the way he rumpled Frodo's hair as an afterthought once he returned the ring, his passionate speech to Aragorn about Gondor. I think that Boromir's great loyalty to Gondor was misconstrued as stubbornness. My take on it was that his passion for Gondor's survival was his ultimate goal until the ring twisted that passion and loyalty into greed. I think that PJ could have added a few more redeeming scenes for Boromir in FoTR, but I didn't see him as unlikable at all - rather, my dislike was toward the ring and what it was doing to a thoroughly amazing and courageous man. I <I>was</I> disappointed that PJ didn't include Boromir's EE scene in TTT with the screen release of TTT, but that's showbiz, I guess
Old 01-13-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
VICETORIAofYorkshire

Sting

too true, he did seem like an aragont ***<BR>and I escpecially wanted to give him a good kick in the arse for saying "Gondor needs no king," but as I can see in the EE he does care a lot for his brother, and father.. He's just a little stressed with a the pressure. Don't worry about it though not all thought him to be rude, and subborn. Though I was madd when Pipin and Merry didn't run, when he was trying to protect them. It made it seem like he dies for nothing, though not true as you find out in the end obviously!
Old 01-13-2004, 10:19 PM   #5
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I loved Boromir. He was PERFECT.<P>'Nuff said.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm very pleased they added Boromir material in TTT EE. Not only does it show why he was sent to Rivendell (to secure a great weapon for Gondor) but that he also stuck up for his brother, Faramir.<P>I think I have to agree with the above post, I don't think Boromir all that rude, just fiercely loyal to Denethor and Gondor, and would do *almost+ anything for Gondors well being.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:09 AM   #7
Sambar

Sting

Boromir in FotR the cinema release was awesome. Just the right balance of virtue and corruption. In the EE, they show far too much of the corruption.<P>Boromir's scene in TT EE was very touching
Old 01-14-2004, 09:22 PM   #8
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Shield

I really liked Sean Bean's performance, and I think the portrayal of Boromir was satisfactory. Boromir was whole-heartedly devoted to Gondor, and that's pretty much all his heart was set on...until the Ring began to take hold. While valiant, he was overconfidant, quite prideful, and it got the best of him. (Someone I heard observed that Boromir left his shield behind to persue Frodo...symbolic of letting down his guard on his pride, and it also could have provided extra defense from arrows)<P>And you all...would you watch language? Thanks to moderators for putting the bad-word blockers in. That kind of talk is for the orcs.<P>It does seem like Boromir shouldn't be of the mind that Gondor needs no king, though...but perhaps this was because Boromir saw no great leader in Aragorn. And when his heart was changed, he confessed Aragorn as his captain and king.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:17 AM   #9
BoromirsBeard
Pile O'Bones

BoromirsBeard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir looks at Strider and sees a weird dirty stranger that lives in the woods. Would you want a King like that?
BoromirsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:46 AM   #10
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

You're right about Strider.<P>I just don't really like PJ's portrayal of Boromir that much [though I never said anything about Sean Bean doing the role- he's awesome at any acting job, whether he's evil like Koster, tempted like Boromir, naked like Andy McNab, or just plain stupid like Tadgh McCabe].<BR>I don't see Sean in my head when I read the book [maybe because of the raven hair thing] and I think it is because maybe Boromir in the movie came off as pouty. Boromir in the book was witty, honest, brave, and devoted to Gondor.<P>Boromir still remains my favorite Sean role. Just check out my signature!

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:46 PM   #11
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I loved Boromir. He was PERFECT. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree, and Sean Bean was PERFECT in the role. I only wish there could have been more of him in the movies.<P>I actually think the flashback in TTT worked well to link FotR with RotK by letting us get a glimpse into the relationship between Boromir/Faramir/Denethor.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:31 PM   #12
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But in FOTR, I really got the impression that Boromir was just a stubborn *** who wouldn't listen to anyone, no matter how many times he'd been told; in the book he was a totally good person who did what he knew was right, but unfortunately was tempted by the ring. I would have really liked it if PJ had relied on Boromir's words and actions in FOTR to make him a likeable character, rather than the extra scenes with little brother Faramir in TTT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> I've always found it hard to understand what people who think Boromir was portrayed like this are seeing in him that I'm not. Boromir always had a largish measure of pride & a strong will, I thought they portrayed that well in the movies, but I also thought that they gave him a 'nice side'. Him comforting Gimli in Moria & wanting to give the hobbits time just outside of it are two excellent examples, & there are plenty more. I just can't see what people see as 'wrong' with his character .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:10 PM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think many people can't deal with the fact that someone who nearly molested their ickle Frody-kins still isn't considered "bad." <P>I think that Boromir was one of the noblest, most devoted characters that I had the pleasure of meeting in LotR. When we normally think of nobility or devotion, we immediately think of Aragorn or Sam. We have to realize that there are other forms of devotion, and even loyalty and devotion can lead a person down a wrong path. Pardon my use of a cliche, but the road to hell is indeed paved with good intentions. Boromir's extreme nobility, loyalty, and devotion to Gondor was what led him to his "fall." We shouldn't fault him for that. Rather, we should remember him for his glorious repentance. He gave his life in a just cause and he shall be remembered for it.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:26 PM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

That's very true, Finwe, in fact I find that to be one of my favorite things about Boromir, his devotion to his city & him 'only wanting to protect 'his' people'. Although it does eventually lead him down the wrong path, I still think it's one of the very best parts of Boromir.<P>p.s. I liked the TTT EE also, because that showed us that Boromir was also extremly devoted to his father, & that <B>that</B> may have been what caused him to attack Frodo for the Ring once it was made plain that Frodo wouldn't go to Minis Tirith.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #15
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I really liked the portrayal of Boromir in both movies (that extra scene in TTT was a treat), and I agree with Finwe; they showed how his virtues led him (for a while) down the wrong path. I didn't think the movies made him look evil, in fact, they did a lot to flesh out my picture of him from the book. (I'd always intellectually understood that he wasn't Eeeeevil, but he'd still left me a bit cold. Not so now). <P>The only scene I would take out would be the FOTR EE one where Boromir makes a grab for the Ring and Gandalf recites the "One Ring to rule them all" poem in the Black Speech. It makes Boromir look, shall we say, unstable, and it makes you wonder why they'd allow the guy to go on the quest when he hadn't been able to keep his hands to himself in the first five minutes of seeing the Ring. Having the slow buildup of temptation without that odd initial scene would be much better.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #16
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think many people can't deal with the fact that someone who nearly molested their ickle Frody-kins still isn't considered "bad." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> "Ickle Frody-kins"? That's taunting, don't you know, <B>Finwe</B>..*wags finger* <P>But seriously now...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I liked the TTT EE also, because that showed us that Boromir was also extremly devoted to his father, & that that may have been what caused him to attack Frodo for the Ring once it was made plain that Frodo wouldn't go to Minis Tirith.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think another quality of Boromir shown in the EE was somewhat of a doubt or puzzlement about the whole Rivendell trip. In a way, movie Boromir seemed more devoted to his brother than to his father, but did his duty well. Again, Sean Bean saves the character for me! <P>Two things made me reconsider Boromir: seeing Sean Bean play the role and a re-reading of the books that led to a Pippin-centric focus that gave me a connection to Boromir through him. It was difficult to like Boromir until these things occurred. But, even in my latest Frodo-centric era, it is easy to see the redemption and good in the character. He ended in honor and repented his fall to the Ring. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Boromir's extreme nobility, loyalty, and devotion to Gondor was what led him to his "fall."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Actually, I attribute Boromir's fall to his innate character (not to say that a fall is inevitable, but the nature of it seems to arise from this). He serves his realm in the only way he knows--through strength of arms and valor, but in following that way alone, there is blindness to certain truths. Those truths and the problems presented by them are illustrated by Faramir in his conversations with Frodo at Henneth Annun (well, in the book anyway!). Boromir's real problem was his completely military focus, without certain insightful characteristics that Faramir possessed. Boromir was no wizard's pupil, but I think he would have fared better had he been.<P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:36 PM   #17
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Thumbs up

Well, i couldn't agree with you more, PJ makes boromir look like an, (excuse me please) a complete *** ! That's one of the many thousands of reasons i hate PJ . There is some points in the movie where he actually is protraded as he should be but, not many. Especially his death scene, i cried but, i am sad to say PJ made Aragorn look cold -hearted. In the book he actually tells boromir that he will go help to save his people, and he tells boromir that he faught for a good cause. And someone other than HIMSELF.<BR> In conclusion boys and girls, Only tolkien or a true boromir fan can protray boromir correctly, not the big screen.<P> your friend/ boromir lover/ the ka<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> " I would give my right ear for Boromir!" "Seriously! i'm not being a Van Gogh about it!"<BR>- the Ka to a friend on the downs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:03 AM   #18
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I'm surprised at you people - I personally think Boromir was one of the few characters who were portrayed extremely well in the movie. I for one, liked him much more in the movie than in the book. In the book, if you read closely, you'll see how he is always going 'against the tide' - disagreeing with Aragorn and Gandalf apparently just for the sake of it; obviously minding that he's not the leader of the Fellowship. In the movie, his good and friendly side was expanded on, and his glorious death got enough screen time. And Sean Bean's acting and charisma did a lot for Boromir, I'm sure we all agree on this. <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>he's awesome at any acting job, whether he's evil like Koster, tempted like Boromir, naked like Andy McNab, or just plain stupid like Tadgh McCabe]. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>lol - don't forget coarse like Sharpe!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:29 AM   #19
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm surprised at you people - I personally think Boromir was one of the few characters who were portrayed extremely well in the movie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Moi? Oh yes, I am a firm believer in "Beanomir!" In fact, Sean Bean improves upon Tolkien's original IMO, bringing merely implied characteristics (and those related to the reader through others' eyes, at that!) and making them intrinsic to Boromir. And, as I have said in other threads, Sean B. is rather easy to look at too! I've never seen him in anything else that I know of, though--I recall that it is said of his words in Rivendell about the Shards of Narsil ("still sharp!") that they were a nod to his Sharpe character.<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<p>[ 12:31 PM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #20
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
I love movie Boromir too in fact he's my fav in the movie. And he is not evil for pity sakes!!!!!! He is human and humans have flaws but they can also show great mercy and compassion too at least some humans....... Too few far to few really good kind people now a days. Makes me sad and angry.

I can totally see where movie Boromir is coming from.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote