The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2003, 10:38 AM   #1
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dűm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Boromir's death - book or movie?

My question is, which version of his death did you prefer?<P>I ask this because it's one of the very rare example in which I think that the movie portrayed it better. When I read it in the book the actual death scene didn't get to me at all. A little lump in my throat may have appeared when Aragorn and Legolas sang a funeral song as they let his boat go, but nothing compared to how I felt in the movie. Sean Bean acted it so incredibly and I love that part of the script, especially 'my brother, my captain, my King.' For someone who never cries at movies, it made me bite my lip *very* hard.<P>So what do you think? Or are there any other parts of the script that you think were an improvement on the books?
Old 09-14-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

We really didn't get to see the death scene in the book. They just find Boromir with the arrows in him. So one wasn't better then the other. They were just done differently. <P>However, I do agree that I was touched far more by the movie. Not until I saw it did I truly understand who Boromir was. Sean Bean was brilliant.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I suppose I agree...but I'm not really too sure, because the Boromir of the books would never have said 'my captain, my king etc'. But it certainly was very touching, and I can't argue against Seen Bean (I mean Sean...oops ) being a great actor.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:35 PM   #4
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I think the movie probably portrayed it better, but only because the book failed to show the heroism that Boromir showed ere he died. A friend (probably a Tolkine purist, so to speak) mentioned that it irked him that Boromir died from only three arrows, when in the book it was made clear that many arrows had pierced him.<P>Still, many scenes touched me from the movie that didn't in the book, like Aragorn jumping out to fight off the Ringwraiths at Amon Sul. I suppose it's the visualization (and Howard Shore's breathtaking music!) that lend emotion and power to the moment's dramatic affect.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the movie version better I think. One of my favorite parts in the movie by far. It was done very well I think & it helps me to imagine it even better when I read it in the books.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 04:06 PM   #6
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dűm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I think the movie did an excellent job of portraying Boromir's death, and when Merry and Pippin finally try and avenge his death ("I'm not dead yet!"), er, mortal wounding...<BR>The only thing I didn't get that PJ changed was that Boromir said, "They took the little ones", and Aragorn doesn't wonder if Frodo was also captured. I mean, it was a possibility, but it was, unlike in the film, addressed in the book by Aragorn after Boromir died. <P>By the way, Estel, I like your signature!
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 04:07 PM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Knight of Gondor, I'm not sure I agree that the book fails to show Boromir's heroism. There is a line, for example, which tells of the numerous slain Orcs around him.<P>But I could not agree more about Howard Shore's sublime music.<P>I think when comparing the film and the book, you have to take into account your own imagination. My imagination, for example, runs wild at some points in the book, yet not so much at others. Boromir's death scene was one of the best parts of the movie for me, perhaps because I didn't have a particularly strong vision of it from the book.<P>However, I wouldn't say either one was better, just very different in terms of emphasis.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:24 PM   #8
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I've heard from others before that they thought it rather cheesy how Boromir kept fighting even after being pierced by two arrows, but I actually liked that idea.<P>In the book, I did not feel sorry one bit for Boromir when he died. I thought of him as some fool easily seduced by the Ring who tried to harm poor Frodo. But when I saw his death in the movie, I began to feel sad for Boromir. For once, I saw him as a strong and brave man, who was temporarily lead astray, but not given a second chance. Sean Bean was really able to display the human qualities of Boromir that were not shown in the book. His performance was beyond excellent and helped me understand his character better than before.<P>And as for the cause of his death: we really don't know how Boromir went down in the book, since he was found with arrows already protruding from his body. For we know, perhaps Boromir did go down with a fight as he did in the movie. The movie version of Boromir's death was definitely more dramatic than the book's version, but I think that was necessary.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:40 PM   #9
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I liked the movie version much better. The book ending seemed a bit vague for me. The movie ending had me sobbing.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:26 AM   #10
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefered the book version, though it did not protray the scenes in such detail. The film version shows a totally over-dramatised scene that may appeal more to non Tolkien fans as do the other flashy scenes PJ had to incorporate to the movie to attract viewers.<P>Sean Bean however was a very goog Boromir and I must admit that after reading the book nine times and watching the movie a few times the character of Boromir is my least favorite of all the characters, in both Book and Film.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:00 AM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I must say that I had noticed Boromir's qualities a long time before I saw the film. However, it is quite remarkable that so many people's opinion on Boromir changed having seen the movie.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:28 AM   #12
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I enjoyed the movie death of Boromir more also. The character of Boromir seemed better developed in the movie, and more likeable. (IMO) I loved and missed the book's lamantful singing though. What do you call that mournful lamenting and singing of praise and great deeds after a warrior has died? I'm sure there's a word for that, but it escapes me. The singing of Boromir's bravery was a wonderful Legolas moment (and Aragorn too, I can't remember...did Gimli sing?) that I missed in the movies. Legolas had so few moments! (other than bow action)<p>[ September 15, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 09-15-2003, 12:34 PM   #13
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dűm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I've heard from others before that they thought it rather cheesy how Boromir kept fighting even after being pierced by two arrows, but I actually liked that idea. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I didn't find it cheesy at all! I thought it was great. And I personally don't think that the death scene was overly dramatised. I'm a Tolkien fan but it still appealed to me. I could have done without Aragorn's little showdown with Lurtz though, but never mind.<P>Here's a question, do you think Boromir's book-death would have had a different effect on people if it had been placed at the end of the FotR instead of at the beginning of TTT? <P>It may seem to some that Tolkien suddenly thought 'oh no, Boromir's supposed to die, I'd better stick on a quick death scene at the beginning.' <P>But I thought the book death was good. If it had to be improved it maybe could have been a little more descriptive. But I love that poignant line that goes sometime like 'but Boromir did not speak again', and the image of his peacefully propped up against the tree so he looks like he's resting but then Aragorn sees the arrows.<P>And here's a thing, in the movie Isildur was shot with three arrows in the back when he ran away from the fight, and Boromir recieved three in the front when he (in a way) faced up to things. Do you think this means anything or that it's just a coincidence?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:52 PM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I've heard from others before that they thought it rather cheesy how Boromir kept fighting even after being pierced by two arrows, but I actually liked that idea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I loved the idea. It's a testemant to the heart of Boromir, & to how much he wanted to redeem himself. Hats of to PJ. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>By the way, Estel, I like your signature!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Thank you!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:08 PM   #15
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Hats off to PJ.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*throws hat up in the air and misses trying to catch it* <P>That is a hard question to answer. I just read over The Departure of Boromir a few days ago...excellent. <BR>But the movie really brought the entire scene to life... In the theatre I actually asked my Dad if they were going to <I>show</I> what happened to him, because in the book poor Aragorn finds him slumped against the tree and riddled with black feathered arrows. <P>Anyway, I think I'm gonna go with the movie, if only because it (in a sense) completed the picture created by the Professor.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:10 PM   #16
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Anyway, I think I'm gonna go with the movie, if only because it (in a sense) completed the picture created by the Professor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> That's the main clincher for me. Provided that the movie scene isn't ridiculously far off from the books, I usually prefer the movie, if only because it's on screen & not just paper.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:48 PM   #17
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Here's a question, do you think Boromir's book-death would have had a different effect on people if it had been placed at the end of the FotR instead of at the beginning of TTT? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I think if you put the Departure of Boromir chapter at the end of Fellowship, it would have been anti-climatic after the Breaking of the Fellowship chapter. Hence why PJ had Frodo and Sam leaving after Boromir's death.<P>I also think Prof. Tolkien was somewhat restricted by the way he chose to write the chapters. Sticking with one perspective, usually a Hobbit's. That meant he couldn't jump between scenes with the same luxury that Jackson had. Changing that structure would have changed the flavour of the entire book, and certainly none of us would want to see that.<P>H.C.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #18
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Boromir's death in the movie hurts worse than in the book
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hadn't laughed so much since granny died.....

Blimey what a bit of archeology.

And there must be something wrong with me because I found Boromir's film death scene the funniest thing I had seen in years - only superseded by Frodo shrink wrapped by shelob for amusement...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #20
sassyfriend
Wight

Why did you think it funny?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #21
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I quite enjoyed the display of heroism we are shown in the film, but it was always a balance act between the heroic and the slightly silly.

The way he was repeatedly pierced by arrows and still had strength to kill everything within a 2 meter radius, almost became to much, but it sort of worked.

I did find Aragorns fight with the Uruk to be over the top though.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #22
sassyfriend
Wight

Why over the top?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #23
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Why?

Did you not notice that Aragorn chose to catapult him self at the Uruk, instead of simply stabbing it and be done with it. The Uruk somehow manages to throw a shield that gets stuck in a tree trunk, and at the same time has a strangle hold of Aragorn. When Aragorn finally pierce the Uruk with his blade, it simply starts pulling the sword further through its torso in order to get a shot at French-kissing Aragorn.

So we have Ranger that gives his adversary a warning shot, before starting the proper fight. On the other hand we have an Uruk, capable of precision hurling shields at moving targets, and that doesn't seem to be moved by pain or its own impending death.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #24
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
The way he was repeatedly pierced by arrows and still had strength to kill everything within a 2 meter radius, almost became to much, but it sort of worked.
LOTR isn't the first movie/book where characters are shot but continue to fight and shot again, until they die. I didn't really mind that part. And it's not like it's that unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
I did find Aragorns fight with the Uruk to be over the top though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend
Why over the top?
I agree with Rune here. It's of the same category as the Legolas-the-shield-surfer scene, if you get what I'm talking about.

Plus, thanks to a youtube video that helped me notice this detail, Aragorn's sword flies out of his hand, and the next moment it's back, and flies out again. Not that this is relevant in any way.

edit: xed with Rune. I think your reasons for disliking the scene are more "technical" than mine.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 09-30-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: speling
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #25
sassyfriend
Wight

Thumbs up

I get what ur saying now and u are right but i still like it though
Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #26
sassyfriend
Wight

Saw what you was talking about on youtube about Aragorn's sword. I think the reason stuff liked that happend was they would start doing a scene go for lunch and then come back again. At least they tell us that happened when Boromir was dying....not sure about the other mistake moments.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #27
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
At least they tell us that happened when Boromir was dying....not sure about the other mistake moments.
I don't really get what you're saying here...
Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #28
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I think it would have been better if Elrond had appeared out of nowhere and said to Aragorn: "Boromir...is...dying. Our list of heroes grows a bit
thi-i-i-in."
Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #29
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Why did you think it funny?
Because it was ludicrous the way the arrows were there and not there and not there again and it was cheesy, schmaltzy and in retrospect because anyone who gets kissed by Aragorn dies....

Old 10-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #30
sassyfriend
Wight

Yes i think Elrond would've been great for doing that. How many others have died that Aragorn kissed? Speaking of which Boromir was already dead when Aragorn kissed him and it was a sign of respect nothing gay about it at all. There are no arrows missing in Boromir!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #31
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Yes i think Elrond would've been great for doing that.
Oh my. You have a long way to go in terms of Downer humour.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #32
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Yes i think Elrond would've been great for doing that.
Certainly. I mean, since he had already travelled over 500 miles through hostile terrain and passed an enemy army to deliver a sword, what's one more errand another 100 or so miles away? I'm surprised he didn't stop in Gondor for tea with Gandalf. Come to think of it, he really should have led the Fellowship, considering he eluded ever single obstacle by himself.

Quote:
Speaking of which Boromir was already dead when Aragorn kissed him and it was a sign of respect nothing gay about it at all.
Well, the part where he slipped him the tongue was a bit over the top.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #33
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
anyone who gets kissed by Aragorn dies....
What happened to the poor horse?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #34
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
What happened to the poor horse?
Mwahahahaha!!! *evil grin*

Old 10-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #35
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Shield Fury in the Slaughterhouse

Ah well... serves him right for stealing Hasufel's role, I suppose.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #36
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Well, the part where he slipped him the tongue was a bit over the top.
What infuriated me was the fact that Arwen was remote-viewing Aragorn throughout his journey, but she picked that one moment to step away to the lav. I so wanted to see her send white horses to stomp her fiance flat in a fit of blind jealousy.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Yes i think Elrond would've been great for doing that. How many others have died that Aragorn kissed? Speaking of which Boromir was already dead when Aragorn kissed him and it was a sign of respect nothing gay about it at all. There are no arrows missing in Boromir!!!!!!
I never said it was gay and frankly I wouldn't give a damn if it were. But that big black arrow hits him about three times.

Haldir. I know he shouldn't have been at Helm's Deep anyway but when Aragorn greets him.... the expression on his face ..you can tell he knows his number's up... either that or he is really embarassed by the blingy armour.

Inzil - HE knew she was momentarily distracted and took his chance... and yep the horse was doomed..... also Arwen.... as if it weren't bad enough that toyboy clearly didn't prefer snogging the horse... guess it is easy to get them confused....

Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #38
sassyfriend
Wight

There where 3 arrows one was fired near enfough by his heart that it looks like its actually has entered it, 2nd one was down a little ways and the last one was almost in his stomache. No arrows are missing at all.