Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2005, 02:58 AM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Sailing Away RPG

Firefoot’s post

Sondo hurriedly shoveled down his breakfast. He was eating by himself this fine May morning, a rather unusual occurrence. His friends, scattered across the large dining hall, were likewise alone; they had all agreed it would be best if they were not seen leaving Brandy Hall together so as not to arouse suspicion. For this was the day that his adventure was to start! Sondo had been awaiting this day for some time, ever since he had decided on his newest and grandest exploit yet: to sail down the Brandywine and explore new lands and come back, maybe even with treasure like old Mad Baggins had.

Upon finishing his breakfast, Sondo stood to take his plate back to the kitchen. Such was his good mood that Sondo bid the cook a good day as he delivered his dish. She recognized him; Sondo had caused trouble more than once in her kitchen.

“Be off with you!” said the cook, smiling and shaking her long spoon at him. “And if you are to cause any trouble this day, make sure that it is not in my kitchen!” Sondo laughed and promised that he wouldn’t, for once meaning every word. As he threaded his way back through the long dining tables, he passed a few of his friends and exchanged discreet conspiratorial glances. Those who knew Sondo well would recognize the look on his face as the one he wore when he was up to something.

The hallways were fairly busy, but Sondo passed through them unnoticed - it was the start of a busy day and no one paid much attention to a young hobbit lad. He slipped out one of the side doors while no one was watching. It was the perfect day to start an adventure: the sky was deep blue and a light breezed caressed his face, carrying with it the sweet fragrance of spring. He struck up a fair pace and whistled as he walked, taking the road south past the turn to Bucklebury Ferry.

As he walked, Sondo allowed himself to review the past few weeks with great satisfaction at what had been accomplished. There had been much to do and plan before he could leave. He had first needed to convince his friends what a wonderful idea it was. This had perhaps been the easiest part, because Sondo could make even the most fool-hardy plan sound like a brilliant idea to his group of friends, and they had taken to the idea almost immediately anyhow. He could not even begin to count the near-misses and scrapes he had gotten them into, but still they listened to him, for often as not his ideas worked out excellently and they had a fun time carrying them out.

The next step had been to build a raft and secure supplies. After all, one could not have an adventure without proper supplies. Slowly, secretly, they had confiscated tools and food from the immeasurable resources of Brandy Hall. Someone had found an oilcloth to keep the needed supplies safe from water, because whatever they found had to be stored in their secret stash near the bank of the Brandywine. This was the same cove where they had kept the unfinished raft. Sondo had found himself a hunting knife, a weapon he deemed fitting for adventures. It was in his pocket now - he could not have worn it outwardly inside Brandy Hall because it would have been noticed for sure. The food, enough for several days, had been stolen from the kitchen over the course of the past week. Their sailing vessel was of simple design: logs roped together and caulked with tar, and a makeshift mast with a sheet tied to it for a sail. The hobbits had only finished and tested their raft yesterday, and found with great jubilation that it floated easily, even with all of their weight on top of it. Then they had secured their supplies to the raft and covered those with the oilcloth, ready for sailing.

It was not long before Sondo came to the little creek that crossed the road. The road was clear, so Sondo turned to follow the stream to the Brandywine. The land here between the road and the river was covered by a sparse forest, so the Brandywine did not come into vision until he was nearly upon it. The surface of the muddy river appeared to flow lazily, but Sondo knew that the current was much swifter than it looked. He turned left to reach the storage location of the raft. The place was a little inlet, invisible from every angle except the north, and only then at a close range.

Sondo was the first to arrive, and he was relieved to find everything exactly as it had been left. He resisted the urge to look and make sure the oilcloth was secured correctly. It had been checked several times already and the supplies had been arranged specifically so that the things that would be needed first were on top. There was no need to rearrange. Having nothing else to do, Sondo sat down on the raft with his back to the mast and waited for his companions to show up, dreaming of the adventures he would have, each one being more fantastical than the last.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:58 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Boromir88's post

This morning Rory was forced to eat with his parents, and siblings, because of the last incident. Rory convinced his youngest brother, Madoc, that Mirabella had taken his mushrooms they got from Old Maggot. Madoc ended up throwing his tea on his sister's dress. Like always Rory's parents found out he was behind it, and forced him to wash the dishes after every meal, and eat next to them, away from his siblings.

Rory sat eating next to his mother, who kept shooting glances at him. He wondered how he was going to be able to escape this time, his mom barely kept her eyes off him. Rory knew he had to escape, and sat contemplating how to do so. He already spotted Sondo had left, so he figured he better get out soon.

They already had food stocked by the river, but he managed to slip in some extra bread and berries into his pouch. Mirabella began to complain that she wanted some more tea. "I'm thirsty mama" she whined.

"Honey," Daisy said turning to her husband, Filiburt. "Could you get the kids some more drinks."

Rory perked up, this could be his chance he thought, "I'll do it." His mom looked at him suspiciously, but thought with all the trouble Rory was in, he should do it. "Ok, just don't you go causing any trouble for the cook. She fixes you these meals, you should be more grateful."

"Don't worry mama," he tried not to smirk, or appear he was up to something. He ran up to the cook and kindly asked, "May I get some more tea m'am?"

"Why of course you can, since you asked so nicely. I can't stand hobbits with no manners." She gave Rory a tray, with 6 cups filled with fresh, hot tea.

"Thank you m'am" he replied.

"Why anything for a generous little hobbit like yourself." she smiled.

Rory began walking back towards the table he was eating at, and figured it was now or never. Suddenly, he tripped over his feet and fell flat on his face, as the tray and tea cups went shattering on the floor. Every person dining in the hall turned their eyes on Rory, and the cook began to get red faced, she couldn't stand having to replace her precious china. Rufus and Madoc started cracking up laughing, acting out the scene, and Mirabella began to smirk realizing her brother was about to get it again.

Rory tried his best to keep a straight face, "Gee, I'm sorry m'am. This is all my fault, I'll go get a broom and sweep up this mess. I'm sorry, I'm just so clumsy sometimes." Rory let out a fake frown.

The cook's face which was flooded with red subsided back to normal color, "Oh it's ok, that sort of thing happens a lot around here. You're a nice boy. Yes, go get the broom, and sweep this up."

Rory spotted his parents rushing up to where he tripped. They had an expression of worry, and anger in their faces. Definitely worried they wouldn't have to compensate the cook, and angry at their son.

"Oh, I hope he hasn't caused you any trouble." Daisy pleaded with the cook. "Forgive him, he's constantly causing trouble." She let out a sharp glance at Rory. Rory bowed his head, knowing he was going to get in trouble, and probably be in more trouble when his parents found out what he was going to do.

"Not a bit," the cook responded, "your son was very kind, he even offered to clean this up. Don't worry about it." She then looked at Rory, "Just go get the broom, I'll sweep this up."

Mirabella had joined behind her parents, hoping to eavesdrop on the conversation. Daisy and Filiburt kept saying how sorry they were, and hope that Rory didn't cause her any problems. The cook kept reassuring them everything was ok.

Rory sprinted off, recognizing now was his chance. With his brothers occupied, fighting with eachother, and his parents and tattle-tale sister up with the cook. He bolted out of the door as fast as his feet could carry them, without stopping until he couldn't see the hall anymore. Oh boy, I'm going to get it when I get back, he thought. He quickly brightened, when he heard a faint chatter up towards the river, some of the hobbits must have already appeared. He figured they were waiting on him. He got to the hiding spot, Sondo and the other hobbits signalled him over, they were still waiting on a few others who said they would come. Atleast he got away, but he wondered if his parents knew he was gone yet, probably, it was a good ten minutes since he left the hall. He couldn't turn back now though, he knew he was already in deep trouble, might as well make the best of his opportunity.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-04-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 AM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Child of the 7th Age's post

Bingo fidgeted impatiently as he shoved the last morsel of breakfast into his mouth. Although the lad normally returned for seconds and thirds, he did not intend to linger over his platter this morning. Bingo was almost too excited to speak. He had finally been invited by young Sondo to share in a grand adventure. Bingo really didn’t care where the lads were going or what they were doing. He had paid little attention to all the details. The important thing was that he was not being left out. The young Hobbit had risen early, packed his little satchel, and made sure that his bow and quiver of arrows stood nearby. Then he had done the same for his brother.

Bingo watched as his Aunt Hilda bustled back and forth between the kitchen and the table, carrying platters of hot cakes to be shared by her three offspring who were hungry young tweeners. Bingo reflected that it was as good a time as any for he and his brother to make their escape…..

“Aunt Hilda, I hope you won’t mind…. Just last night Cousin Melilot talked to me and suggested we stay with her a bit.”

Aunt Hilda looked back with a question on her face. “But I thought she and her husband were just getting settled into that small burrow, the one down by the river?”

“Yes,” continued Bingo, thinking as quickly as he could. “They need two young lads to help them unpack the furniture and parcels, and get things in order. Please, Aunt Hilda, we can help her.”

The night before, Hilda had been thinking how nice it would be if her widowed mother could pay a visit from the Southfarthing. She did not want to toss Bingo and his brother out the door, but they were staying in her only guest room. Hilda had considered asking them to sleep in the pantry, but this new suggestion seemed to fit in perfectly with what she had been considering. She looked at the two youngsters and smiled, “Yes, I suppose a visit to Cousin Melilot might be a good idea, especially if you two can be of help to her.”

“We’ll go this morning,” Bingo added. “As soon as we’ve helped you clean up.”

Within the space of an hour, Bingo and his brother were headed out the door of Brandy Hall, lugging their belongings with them, along with a generous wrapped luncheon packet that Aunt Hilda had provided. They quickly reached the large oak that marked the path where Cousin Melilot’s new smial stood. “Down there,” urged Bingo to his brother. “Go on. Just tell Cousin that I’m staying at Brandy Hall for a few more days to help Aunt Hilda arrange her library. I’ll come later.”

“But Aunt Hilda doesn’t have a library! And what if our kin start asking questions?” his brother objected. “Anyways,” he added more gently, “I don’t want you to leave me. Why can’t I come with you?”

“No, not this time. You weren’t asked. And for once I want to do something with Sondo. Anyways, no one will ask questions. They’ll just be glad we’ve gone somewhere else for a while. I’ll be back in a day or two. I promise. Don’t worry!”

His younger brother sighed, and reluctantly turned down the pathway that led to Cousin Melitot’s burrow. Feeling free and happy, Bingo raced down the other path that led towards the River. Ahead of him, he could see the raft bobbing in the water, and one or two Hobbit lads gathering their things together on the shore.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-04-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 AM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Encaitare's post

Reginand felt rather abandoned as he watched Bingo go happily off down towards the riverbank with a spring in his step. He looked gloomily towards Cousin Melilot's door, bright yellow in the side of the hill.

I could still go back home, he thought, dreading the idea of spending several beautiful spring days indoors. But then that would give Bingo away, and I can't do that either.

The young hobbit found himself dragging his feet as he slowly made his way up the path, gently swinging his satchel around. It was a sunny day, and the whole Shire seemed to be coming alive again. He ought to be outside romping in the grass or playing by the river with Bingo, not left by himself to unpack boxes and move furniture.

Another look at the yellow door did it for him: there was a cart just outside of it, covered in bundles and packages. He wouldn't have minded so much if Bingo had stayed, but there was not a chance that this was how he would spend these days. Why shouldn't he have an adventure too, like so many of his older Took relatives, or even that funny Bilbo Baggins?

Making up his mind, Reggie turned about and raced down towards the riverbank. There he could see a raft floating in the water. Bingo was there with Sondo, and another hobbit who he knew to be called Rory. Bingo noticed him approaching and looked at him sternly.

"Reg, why aren't you at Cousin Melilot's?"

"I can't go there and unpack things for half a week! If you think I'm going to do that, boy, you're crazy, Bingo Brandybuck--"

His older brother did not look amused. "You must go, or else Aunt Hilda will come looking for me. Come on, Reggie," he said more quietly. "Please, just go."

"Can I come with you?" Reginand said, turning to Sondo, who was watching the whole spectacle. "I won't take up much room on the raft, and I won't weigh it down at all -- see? I'm small enough!" He jumped up and down a couple of times for emphasis. "I can help you lads with whatever you need. Please?"

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-04-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 AM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Kitanna's post

Marroc shoved a last piece of bacon into his mouth, hoping now to get away to join Sondo. Marroc pushed back from the table and headed for the door. "Where do you think you're going?" His mother said, pulling him back into his chair.

"Out to help Father."

"Not without more than a few pieces of bacon you're not." Ruby shoveled more bacon and some eggs and bread onto Marroc's plate. "You'll need your strength to go out with your father and brothers today."

Marroc dug into his food, barely taking anytime to chew it. "You're going to be sick." His oldest sister Daisy said. "No one will get any work done today if you get sick and they have to carry you back."

Marroc tried to say something with a chunk of bread in his mouth. "Daisy's right, take your time."

The Hobbit lad mumbled and paced himself. But the entire time his tapped his foot nervously on the floor. He had to get away. He had to go join up with Sondo.

Finally he cleared his plate of all traces of food. "May I go now? Please?"

Ruby looked over him and smiled warmly. "I suppose so, but stay out of trouble. There's work to be done and there's no time for your foolishness."

Marroc jumped out of his chair and ran outside. He did a quick check to make sure no one was watching and he headed away from the field. On his way to meet Sondo and the others Marroc stopped off at a hollowed out tree trunk. Inside he had hidden his knapsack with his slingshot and plenty of stones, a few apples, and water. He grabbed his walking stick as well and headed off.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-04-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:00 AM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Crystal Heart's post

Samuel tip toed as lightly as he could towards the door. Today was the day that he would go out on adventure, or something. As long as there was food involved. That's all that mattered. That's what the others had said. They had promised him food. That and a vacation away from his parents which in his opinion was the greatest present anyone could ever give him.

"Samuel Brandybuck, where do you think you are going?" His mother's shrill voice yelled from in the kitchen. He swore under his breath.

"I'm going to the secret hangout with the cousins, Mum," Sam answered, trying not to let the anger show in his voice.

"Without doing your chores?" His mother's voice questioned.

"I did them!" Sam shouted back.

"You have not Samuel and you know it. Don't you lie to your mother." Sam sighed and rolled his eyes. He looked at the door. He could just run. What could she do? She would never be able to catch him, that he was sure of.

"Okay, I'll go do them," Sam answered as he opened the door and walked right out. He laughed to himself as he walked down the path. He walked down to what he usually called the "creek of death", due to reasons even he didn't entirely understand, and the raft where Sondo had told him he would be.

He wondered if his mother would be mad and realized that she would be. He started to think about the punishments she would ensue. Probably locking him in his room for a week. Maybe even doing even more chores, if there were more chores. Then a thought hit him. She could take away the food, but she would never..... He stopped and thought about it. Should he take the chance?

Sam shrugged his shoulders, knowing that his cousins and other family members would never allow another Brandybuck to go hungry, and headed off towards the creek of death.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-04-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:00 AM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Nurumaiel’s post

Falco Brandybuck sat up in the apple tree, picking the fruit and studying them carefully, and then choosing which he would eat and which he would cast aside as no good. Every now and again he would look out of the corner of his eye towards Brandy Hall, where his family was, more than likely, just finishing breakfast. He had had some difficulty in deciding which he preferred more: to go eat the fine breakfast with his family, or to climb the tree and sit nearer the sky, and dine upon his desserts at once. He knew well he would be scolded for taking his dessert before he had eaten a single meal, but he knew also that it would not take the taste of the apples from his mouth. He didn't know, or rather he had forgotten, that his mother was going to make apple pies that day. Having forgotten (for he had not paid her close attention when she was speaking), it never occurred to him that he would be punished in the manner of being denied his fair share of pie.

He was ignorant, and he was happy. The apples tasted fine, the clear spring breeze rustled through the leaves and through his hair, and he was at peace.

A little pattering of feet on the grass below called his attention, and he saw a head of waving brown hair below him. It was his sister. He choked back a laugh of excitement, for he was hiding and she was searching for him. He put a half-eaten apple into his pocket, in case she should find him, for he did not want to be caught in his guilty act, and he pressed himself against the tree trunk. She looked here and there with a perturbed frown on her face, pattered a little way further, and then returned, her hands on her hips and her head cocked angrily to one side. She looked here and there once again, and then she rolled her eyes upwards in a sigh of annoyance. She caught sight of his blue shirt, and was immediately at the foot of the tree, calling up to him.

"Falco, Mamma 'as been looking for you everywhere and she's very angry. Why do you run 'way from breakfast?" And then her big eyes widened and she said, "Were you eating apples up there?"

"Yes," said Falco, and brought himself to the ground. "But don't tell Mamma, Rosa, and I'll give you an apple too."

"Oh no, naughty boy," she said, shaking her finger (and looking just like her mother). "You are very naughty to be stealing those apples, and I won't 'elp you."

"Stealing?" said Falco indignantly. "Why, I was just eating them because I was hungry!"

"You should 'ave et your breakfast, naughty boy."

"Please don't tell Mamma, Rosa," said Falco, his voice pleading and his hands catching her own.

She pulled away from him and fixed her determined eyes on the Hall, but she did not move. Rather, she cast him a keen sideways glance and said, "Will you give me your piece of apple pie if I don't?"

"Apple pie?" said Falco, very stupidly.

"Yes," said Rosa. "Mamma is making apple pie and if you don't give me yours I will tell 'er that you et those apples!"

He had forgotten about the pie. Ah, well. Either way he would lose his share. It was better to lose them to Rosa and escape a scolding. He nodded. "You can have the pie, Rosa, but don't tell Mamma."

"Then I won't," she said.

"I'm sure Sondo and the other boys were looking for me?" he said, and he presented it as a question.

"No, no," she said. "But soon everyone will be looking for Sondo and the other boys."

"What do you mean?" said Falco, quite as stupidly as before.

"I saw 'im leave very quietly, and he ran 'cross the grass towards the river. I wonder if 'e's running 'way?"

Falco turned pale. How could he have forgotten? He recalled, vaguely, that Sondo had been saying something about an adventure, and something about the river, and the raft. Again he questioned himself: how could he have forgotten?

"Rosa, I have to go now," he said. "Don't tell anyone that you saw Sondo leave, or that you saw anyone leave, or that you saw me leave."

"What will you give me if I don't?"

"My piece of apple pie."

"You already gave that to me."

"Then you can tell Mamma about the apples." It didn't matter if she knew. He wouldn't be about to be scolded. "Tell Mamma about the apples, and I'll give you my pie for not telling about us going."

"Very well," she said, "but don't you be running 'way too."

"Of course not, Rosa," he murmured, and giving her a little pat on the cheek he turned towards the river and ran with all speed he could muster.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-04-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sondo frowned at Reggie jumping up and down on the raft. He wouldn’t sink it, that was for certain - but that wasn’t the problem. He waved the slightly younger hobbit over to him, saying, “Come here for a second.” The excited hobbit hurried over and stood in front of Sondo. Bingo was frowning in the background. Sondo had always maintained a tenuous relationship with the brothers as far as plans for activities and mischief were concerned, sometimes involving Reggie and sometimes not. In truth, he had no problems with the younger brother accompanying them; Reggie was friendly and Sondo liked him. What Sondo really wanted to know was a very petty concern that Reggie’s remark had raised: who was smaller? Sondo took great pride in his short stature and did not desire to be taller than anyone. He looked Reggie over critically as if wondering whether he was fit for the expedition. He felt a wash of relief at finding Reggie to be just slightly taller and gave a decisive nod.

“So I can go?” Reggie asked, taking the nod for approval.

Sondo decided to risk the annoyance of Bingo. After all, he was the leader and the whole adventure was his idea, so he said, “If you really want to, it’s fine with me - but do you even know where we’re going?”

“Well, obviously you’re going to take the raft and sail away, right?” answered Reggie. Sondo nodded, “Basically, yes - we are going to have an adventure down the Brandywine” and left it at that. He hoped that Bingo would not be mad at him, but if he was Sondo figured Bingo would forgive him. If he didn’t... mutiny would not be tolerated. Sondo chuckled inwardly at his own joke.

Sondo turned around to see if anyone was missing. Someone was; Sondo mentally check-listed all present and discovered it was Falco. Sondo’s brow creased worriedly. He wasn’t always sure whether Falco heard or listened all the plans he made and was concerned that he had forgotten. They would have to be going soon because if they weren’t far enough away by the time they were discovered to be missing, all of his plans would be in shambles. Sondo did not want to leave anyone behind, but time was valuable... Just then, Falco sprinted into their midst looking rather out of breath.

“Am I late?” he panted.

Grinning, Sondo shook his head. “Just on time,” he said, and then louder, “Hey, we’re all here now! We’re ready to sail!” A small cheer broke out as they began to load onto the raft. Everyone was ready to go after all their preparation. Last-minute supplies which the lads had thought to pile on board were all heaped together on top of the other covered supplies. Soon everyone was balanced aboard the raft save Sondo, who boarded last after carefully untying the rope anchoring the raft to shore. He tossed the rope onto the raft and leapt aboard, shoving the craft out away from shore.

Seeing the open, murky waters of the Brandywine laid out before him, Sondo felt a rush of exhilaration. He was actually going to have his adventure! Once they were past the borders of Buckland, which was not far, no one would be able to stop them. He let out a whoop. He was off to tame the Brandywine, and maybe even come back famous and rich. Why not? Anything was possible.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bingo

Bingo stretched out on his stomach and sprawled at the back of the little craft while he stared fixedly at the Brandywine, or the Baranduin as his father had usually called it. He wiggled his body forward another inch or two, hanging his head and arms over the edge and slipping his fingers into the muddy waters. Steady rain had fallen for the past two days so the level of the river was higher than usual for this particular time of year. Surprized by the strength of the rushing current that flowed through his splayed fingers, he wondered if the boat was strong enough to survive the long trip that lay ahead of them.

Bingo had no real sense of where they were going, but he was sure it was very far away and that they would have a wonderful time. For one moment, the young lad considered what would happen when they finally got to the point far down the Baranduin that Sondo had picked out as their destination. Since the river's current ran in only one direction, how did Sondo think they would return home? He was quite sure the other lad had a plan. Maybe there would be fine ponies waiting there. They would climb on their backs and return north in a triumphant procession. Bingo imagined arriving back in Buckland with a pony of his own, sporting many souvernirs of his journey and with stories to tell everyone. Master Saradoc and the other residents of Brandy Hall would be so proud of the lads' bravery and resourcefulness that they would never dare say a cross word.

Noticing that his brother was fidgetting about and having trouble getting settled on the far side of the raft, Bingo yanked himself out of this pleasant daydream of cheering Hobbits and focused his thoughts on their real dilemma. Reggie had appeared out of nowhere. He loved his brother dearly. If truth be told, Bingo felt responsible for keeping Reggie out of trouble in the same way that their own father would have done. But he had hoped for a few days on his own when he wouldn't need to carry that heavy burden. Now all that was spoiled. Worse yet, Cousin Melitot would realize something was amiss when Reggie did not show up at the burrow as he had promised. And who knows what she would do after that? Still, Bingo vowed to stand up for his brother whatever happened and make sure the two of them came safely home to Brandy Hall. At the back of his mind was the distant image of his mother and father who had gone off on a voyage and never returned.

Lost in these ponderous thoughts, Bingo did not notice that he had wriggled sideways and, by so doing, accidentally gave Samuel a hearty poke in the ribs with his elbow......
Old 01-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #10
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Sam had been sitting peacefully, looking at the river until Bingo decided to poke him, which in his opinion was ENTIRELY uncalled for.

"Why in the heck are you poking me you little orphan?" Sam asked him angrily, his eyes turning dark. He never could understand stupid children's nonsense. In fact he had never really understood any one else in the Shire ever. He couldn't stand their stupid habits, their dumb words, and anything else about them. If he wasn't a hobbit he would have run away years ago to a place that had no hobbits only himself. And perhaps a maid to cook for him. And perhaps another maid to clean up..... He shook his thoughts away and returned to being thoroughly mad at the young hobbit lad before him. He wasn't sure if Bingo had even said anything. He was sure he probably did.

"Blah blah blah, all your darn excuses. Get away from you!" He roared, totally prepared for a fist fight. A good long fist fight would make him happy and hungry and then he could eat some food and be happy. Yes, a good fist fight was just what he wanted. Particularly with this snot nosed little hobbit lad that had ticked him off by being so entirely stupid by deciding to poke him. Wasn't it enough that he had even agreed to go on this stupid idiotic adventure? Besides everything else didn't Bingo know who he was? He was Samuel Brandybuck for goodness sakes and no one and he meant no one should ever disturb him when he is actually in a good mood. For he was always in a good mood except for the times when others decided to make him angry then he was in a horrible, rotten mood where he just wanted to hurt others and eat.

The thought of food made Sam's stomach grumble in protest.

"SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE?! NOW I'M HUNGRY AGAIN!" Sam bellowed as he got up and went over to his large pack to get some food.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:03 PM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Rory was in a cheerful conversation with Marroc and Reggie. They were sharing their stories of how they made their escape. Rory was of course exaggerating.
"I told my Ma, I was going, whether she objected to it or not."

"What did she say?" asked Reggie.

"She said not after the stunts I pulled. But I didn't care. I'm here aren't I?" The two hobbits nodded their head in approval. Rory told them about the tea and the broom. Reggie and Marroc listened intently. Reggie began to tell his story about Aunt Hilda, and saying they were going to their cousins, when some spiteful words broke out on the other side of the raft.

Sam and Bingo were engaged in a bitter debate and were on the verge of exchanging fists. Sondo was desperately trying to calm the situation, but it wasn't helping much. "Watch out" Rory shouted, "you don't want make the boat unbalanced! Stop this foolishness!" They didn't heed any of Rory's pleads. Sam stood up, about ready to jump on Bingo, when he did the raft tipped to one side. Soon all the hobbits found themselves sprawled into the water, some drastically whipping their arms and legs, because they didn't know how to swim. Someone had to catch the raft, before it floated away....

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-06-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
Child of the 7th Age

Bingo

For the moment, Bingo could do little but concentrate on the immediate problem at hand. He'd had no intention of getting in a fight with Samuel. His natural inclination was to avoid a fistfight at all costs. Usually, that meant slinking off with his brother to some secluded niche where they could commiserate. But there were no secluded spots on a raft, and Bingo felt he couldn't just sit still, waiting to be bashed over the head.

The water at this point in the river was definitely over their heads. Some of the lads looked to be in trouble. While frantically treading water and trying to decide what to do, Bingo spied an old tree stump that had a few live branches protruding out of it, growing in the middle of the river. It was a good thing he had spent so much time playing near and in the water. Collaring the nearest floundering hobbit, he scooped him up by the collar and swam over to the stump, dragging the lad behind him and shoving his body up onto a low-hanging tree branch. "Wait here!" he bellowed, as he swam off to retrieve one more hobbit who appeared to be having serious troubles.

The current was swift and even Bingo could not fight against it forever. If he had been on his own, he could have made it down to the raft or swum over to the side and scrambled out on the bank. But, relectant to leave the other lads alone, Bingo swam back to the sheltered stump and clung, panting, to its lower branches as he pondered what to do. All the while, their raft was floating further down the river. A few of the other lads had taken off to try and retrieve it. How they were going to get it back against the current, Bingo had no idea. Or maybe they could steer it over to the bank, while he and the other two hobbits in the tree carefully made their way downstream by wading through the muddy waters and reeds that ran near the shore. He looked downstream to see what was happening.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-08-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #13
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Sondo was absolutely furious. How much thought did it take to realize that you couldn’t have a fistfight on a raft? Now, everyone was in the water and the raft with all remaining supplies was floating away. Sondo could hardly be called a good swimmer, but the concept was not unknown to him and he could at least stay afloat without difficulty. With shaky strokes he took off toward the raft after only a moment’s hesitation. Without looking closely he saw that there was another hobbit swimming just behind him, also intent on the raft. Slowly the pair gained on it, and they ended up quite a way down stream before actually catching it. Fortunately, it had tipped but not flipped, and the supplies which had been secured to the raft had not been lost.

Upon catching the raft, Sondo knew that the next step had to be turning it to shore so that they could go back and rescue the other hobbits. Now that he had leisure to look, he saw that the hobbit who had joined him was Reggie.

“Reggie,” he said, “go to the other side of the raft. We need to get up at the same time so it won’t tip.” Sondo was out of breath from the swim but his voice still conveyed a no-nonsense tone. Reggie obeyed without question and the pair was able to simultaneously hoist themselves up onto the raft. Sondo was now thankful that they were about the same size and weight. He looked despairingly back up stream. Though peaceful seeming, the Brandywine’s current was strong, and the hobbits stuck in the river were dwindling.

“Now, we need to get the raft to shore and hurry back to help the others,” instructed Sondo. Reggie was one step ahead and held up the rope which had previously been used to tie the raft to the stream. Reggie had tied a loop in the end so that they could hopefully hook something on shore. He asked, “How about this?” and gave an experimental throw towards shore. The loop caught on a piece of driftwood, but as soon as tension was applied the log snapped.

“Try again,” encouraged Sondo. Reggie tossed the rope, and this time it caught a peculiarly shaped stone sticking up on shore. They held their breaths, and fortunately, the rope held. They swung around to the bank as the rope tightened, and soon they were able to hop onto dry ground. Sondo hurried upstream to unhook the rope from the rock, retrieved it, and sprinted back to where Reggie was holding the raft by the shore. Sondo took the rope, saying, “Go on ahead - see if you can help. I’ll follow soon.” Reggie nodded and hurried off as fast as he could. Sondo deftly tied the rope around a tree so that it ran from tree to mast, suitably securing the raft. He gave a quick tug to make sure the knot would hold and hurried after Reggie. He was already weary from the strenuous swim to catch the raft and his run from raft to rock and back, and now he was slowed by the need to take care not to stumble over a tree root in his fatigue. This was not how adventuring was supposed to go! He was already imagining the things he would say to Sam and Bingo. They had not even left the Shire yet, and already they were having difficulties! He hoped that things would be under control at the scene of the spill. Haste was needed, and so he dug in for a last spurt before finally arriving.

Last edited by Firefoot; 01-06-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:27 PM   #14
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Marroc had been sitting on one side of the raft with Rory and Reggie. Rory was talking about he escape from his family. "I told my Ma, I was going, whether she objected to it or not." Rory stated proudly.

Clearly he was exaggerating, but Marroc wasn't going to say anything about it. "So you let all that tea go to waste?" Marroc was not the kind of Hobbit who would let any amount of tea or food to go to waste.

Rory smiled and laughed when Marroc made his comment. He just nodded. It was now Reggie's turn to tell his tale, but a fight seemed to be breaking out on the other side of the raft. Sam was yelling at Bingo for what seemed to be some sort of misunderstanding.

Sondo was trying to break Sam and Bingo up. Rory shouted a warning about tipping the raft, but no one listened. The next thing Marroc knew was that he was bobbing in the water and the raft was floating away.

Panic filled the young Hobbit. He was a terrible swimmer. "Help!" He desperately tried to keep himself afloat. Someone grabbed him by the collar, helping him toward safety.

It was Bingo. He pushed Marroc to a low-hanging branch. Marroc grabbed hold and gasped for air. "Wait here!" He instructed as he swam after another one of the Hobbits. Marroc just clung to the branch for dear life.

Now that he was safe Marroc's thoughts turned to the raft. What would happen to them if it was lost on the river along with all their food?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #15
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Reggie hurried along the riverbank, scrambling through grasses and mud. He glanced back to see Sondo still holding the raft safe, and scanned his surroundings for any of his companions.

He was angry with that Sam -- not only had he been picking on Bingo, but he had upset their entire raft! If he found that mean hobbit...

A cry broke his thoughts, which was probably for the best. He looked to see Marroc clinging to the branch of a tree, suspended over the water.

"Help!" Marroc called, seeing Reggie on the bank. Reggie wracked his mind but could not think of any way to reach him, hanging above the surface of the water like he was. The call came again, and Reggie began to get scared. What if he couldn't do anything? He began feeling around in his pockets for something that would aid him. Nothing in his front pockets, nothing in his shirt pocket -- aha!

In his back pocket, Reggie's fingers closed around a piece of thin rope. He pulled it out and was dismayed to see that it wasn't particularly long, only a few feet. He thought quickly, and decided that his idea was worth a try.

"Marroc! Get closer to the bank if you can! Move along the branch!"

Marroc looked frightened, and tentatively let one hand go to swing himself a little closer to the trunk.

"That's good, come on," said Reggie, dreading that at any second he would hear a plop, and then Marroc would be out of his aid. But at long last, Marroc was several feet closer.

"The branch is too thick," he called to Reggie. "I can't hold on for much longer..."

"You're going to have to let go," Reggie said, "and then swim towards the bank. Then I'll throw the rope in and you can grab on!" He hoped that Marroc was a decent swimmer...

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-06-2005 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Signature removed
Old 01-07-2005, 06:32 AM   #16
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Marroc was clinging for dear life to the branch. Any second he could be swept away. His thoughts went to his family. They would never know. He could die and his family would never know where to look for him. Marroc could not die like that. He had to get to safety.

Reggie was on shore. "Help!" Marroc cried, trying to get Reggie's attention.

The other Hobbit heard Marroc's cry for help and came to his aid. He searched his pockets looking for something, looking for anything that would help him pull Marroc in. Marroc's heart sank when it seemed Reggie had nothing. He was going to have to swim to Reggie.

Reggie pulled a piece of rope from his back pocket. Marroc's spirits rose until he saw just how small the rope was. "Marroc! Get closer to the bank if you can! Move along the branch!"

Marroc started to move slowly along the branch. He let go with his left hand and swung himself close to the trunk. He would not dare let go with both hands. Reggie was on shore shouting encouragement to him. Inch by inch he drew closer to Reggie and the shore, but the closer Marroc got to the trunk the thicker the branch was. He little hands would not be able to hold on much longer.

"The branch is too thick. I can't hold on for much longer..." Marroc dreaded the only solution he could see to this problem. He was going to have to let go and try his luck at swimming.

"You're going to have to let go," Reggie said, confirming Marroc's fear. "and then swim towards the bank. Then I'll throw the rope in and you can grab on!"

Marroc was frozen with fear for a moment. He was no swimmer and the current was so strong. He took a few deep breaths, each time swearing he'd let go and each time failing to do so.

"You can do it, Marroc!" Reggie called. "I won't let you go under."

Marroc stuck in some air and let go of the branch. Marroc went under right away. He kicked furiously and resurfaced. He kept kicking, desperately trying to get within reach of the rope. Reggie cast the rope out and Marroc grabbed hold. Again he went under, but this time Reggie was able to pull him out.

Marroc kicked, Reggie pulled and soon Marroc could feel Reggie pulling him out of the water and onto the shore. He couldn't decide what to do first. Hug Reggie for saving his life or kiss the ground. He grabbed Reggie and gave him the biggest hug he could muster. After letting go he kissed the ground out of joy.

Now that Marroc was safe he had to turn his mind to other things. He had to help Reggie find the other Hobbits and make sure none were hurt.

Last edited by Kitanna; 01-07-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #17
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sam didn't understand what in the world had happened. He had gotten up to get some food and now he was in the water. Now he was in the water. He was sure this was all Bingo's fault. His arms swung around as he tried to get back to the raft that was floating down river. Panic and fear clutched his heart as realizations that he was about to die here in the Shire in the river, alone..... He swung his arms even faster in fear.

Memories of his life flashed before his eyes as the water poured into his mouth. He could hear gurgled screams coming from somewhere nearby, but his head wasn't thinking about the fact that it was him who was screaming. Memories of how he had treated his parents, the food he had last eaten, the fight with Bingo, the stupid raft he had agreed to even set foot on, his last steps out his house door, the night with that beautiful hobbit girl... Esmerald. His memories swam swiftly, almost exactly like the river, through his mind as the thought that this was the end full took him.

Sam knew that he did not want to die, that he was far too young to succumb to death. Furthermore, he understood that what he wanted wasn't necessarily what he was going to be granted in this situation. As his arms tried to swim, he felt his feet getting further towards the bottom of the river. His head bobbed up and down. He barely had enough time to breath in between the breaks of water and air. As he was pulled farther down the river a thought struck him, his last thoughts were these and these breaths his last. Never again would he see the green, lush fields of the Shire. Never again would he eat his mother's wonderful food. Never again would he be a young hobbit.

As he floated down the river, he silently prayed a promise to be a better hobbit if someone just saved his life.

Last edited by Crystal Heart; 01-09-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:09 PM   #18
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
When the raft had tipped Falco had been fortunate enough to be swept immediately to shore. He retained his calm and reason very well, and hurried downstream to be of better assistance to those who were still floating along down.

Falco watched Sam struggling in the water, and he considered that their adventure was not coming off to a very good start. Sam was such a grumpy, disagreeable boy, anyway. But, of course, they couldn't just leave him to drown, even if he was unpleasant. Falco touched one toe in the water. He was wet anyway. Why not? He went a little further in. He must be careful not to be swept away. It never occurred to him that he was doing something rather dangerous, as he didn't know how to swim. What did he care for danger?

He was almost up to his waist now, but fortunately the river was flowing very fast, and he was not swept off. And what of it if he did? It would be an adventure, at the least. He looked upstream. Sam was floating down, flailing his arms helplessly. Falco waded on more step, and put out his hand. "Grab my hand, Sammy!" he called. "And try paddling more towards me, if you can."

Honestly, things hadn't started out well at all. With Sondo as leader, perhaps that could be expected. They'd have mutiny now for sure. No doubt the boys would all be frightened after their escapade and want to go back. And if they went back he, Falco, would be in dreadful trouble for running away. That wasn't right. What if things kept going like this under Sondo's leadership? He would have to speak with him.

But first he had to take care of Sam.

Last edited by Nurumaiel; 01-08-2005 at 05:18 PM. Reason: minor revisions, and taking out the raft
Old 01-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #19
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Salvation appeared to Sam in the form of Falco. He tried to swim as hard as he can and reached out, just barely touching Falco's fingers before being swept away. He pushed through the current, his will for living life becoming stronger. He swam as hard as he could before he finally reached Falco and his hand.

Falco pulled him to where Sam could feel the slightly rocky river bed beneath his feet. He coughed up the water that had proceeded to find a way into his lungs. Falco helped him up onto the shore. Sam fell to a sitting position, his hands upon his head.

The knowledge that he would be able to live yet another day was a reassuring one to say the least. As he gasped and tried to regain some sort of normal breathing pattern he thought about what could have happened. He also thought about how wrong he was for blowing the poking situation out of proportion.

"Thank you, Falco for saving my life. I owe you one," Sam said once he had caught his breath. Falco flashed him a smile. Sam got up shakily and wandered over to Bingo and the others to see if he could help.

Last edited by Crystal Heart; 01-11-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #20
Child of the 7th Age

Bingo

Things seemed to be settling down a bit. His brother had assisted Marroc in climbing down from the tree and finding his way back to the shore. Falco had also lent a helping hand to Sam, and, possibly for the first time in his life, the young hobbit lad had seemed genuinely grateful. The last to be rescued had been Rory. The young lad had been half drowned, until Bingo had managed to drag him over to the tree stump, and others had come to guide him to the shore. A short distance down the river, Bingo could see that Sondo had caught up with the raft and was trying to push it to the side, out of the way of the strongest current.

Bingo slipped off the tree branch and swam over to the weeds and muds that lined the edge of the shore. The water here was no more than a foot deep. Since this stretch of bank appeared to be both slippery and steep as well as thoroughly riddled with large tree roots, he decided to wade downriver in the shallows, while keeping a close eye for unfriendly snakes. Fortunately, there were no more unpleasant incidents, and, within a short while, he had made it back to the raft where Sondo was waiting.

"Is everyone here?," Bingo queried nervously. "Are the lads alright? Do you think we should unload some of the supplies on shore, and make sure they're not soaked or damaged?" He looked over at Sondo, awaiting his response. But before Sondo could open his mouth, he felt another hand tapping him on the shoulder.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-11-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #21
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sam ventured over to Bingo and placed a hand upon the lad's shoulder.

"Bingo, I owe you an apology. I shouldn't have done that. I owe everyone here an apology. It was all my fault that the raft tipped as it did. We are all fortunate that no one died here, but that does not condone my actions. Again, I apologize to all of you for what I have done," Sam apologized, his head hanging in shame. For the first time in his whole small hobbit life he actually felt regret for what he had done. If Sam didn't know any better his entire outlook on life was changing, but he wasn't about to admit that to anyone no matter what.

Something was stirring in the young hobbit's heart. Something of caring and more kinder qualities. His mother had always told him that he was born with a heart so small that not even it could withstand the love and kindness it was suppose to posses. Sam had agreed and had believed that up until this day. Until this moment he had not really thought about what his life could be like.

Mentally, he shook his thoughts away and silently prayed that his companions in this journey would actually forgive him and that this adventure that he so desperately needed would begin without any further incidents.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #22
Child of the 7th Age

Bingo:

For a moment Bingo stood silent, his eyes opening wider by the moment and his jaw hanging open. He was so surprized that he was completely unable to say anything. This was the last thing he had suspected. He'd assumed that Sam would blame him for their scuffle as well as for the overturning of the raft. Bingo was used to backing down when the sons of wealthy landowners came to him complaining about this little thing or that. He put up with their jibes, good natured and otherwise, and politely pulled at the bill of his cap to show his respect. What else could he do when he didn't have a Da or Ma to stand up and protect him?

The one thing he hadn't considered was that the young lad would apologize and extend a hand in friendship. Recovering his wits as quickly as he could, Bingo turned towards Sam and spoke, "Not a problem. Of course, I forgive you. There's nothing to forgive.....just a tussle and a misunderstanding. I'll try to be more careful with my own elbows and feet." He looked down at his own gangley arms. "I expect both of us owe an apology to Sando as well."

With that, Bingo looked over to Sando, "Is everyone alright? Even Rory?" He had been worried about Rory ever since he'd pulled him up from under the water. The lad's face had looked so pale, a sickly shade of greenish-blue, and he had been coughing and gagging.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-11-2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #23
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Rory stirred from his rest. He woke up with a gasp, first not knowing where he was. He remembered the argument, the boat tipping, but his last memories were getting mouthfuls of water, and then going underneath....his mind was blank of what happened after. He sat up, and saw all the hobbits staring at him, and with a sigh of relief on all their faces. His clothes were soaked, and his pouch filled with throwing stones were gone.

"Anyone happen to grab my sack of rocks?" Rory asked.

The Hobbits chuckled, they found it hard that Rory had just been through a traumatic experience, which if it wasn't for Bingo he probably would have died, and the first thing that hops into Rory's mind were his rocks.

There was a long, uneasy silence, that Sam broke. He was apologizing, and asking everyone for forgiveness. Rory piped up, "Cheer up Sam, no one's blaming you. It's not like that raft was a finely made Elven boat, it was bound to tip with any slight movement." Some of the hobbits glared at Rory, especially Sondo, who took pride in building the raft. Whatever the thoughts, the hobbits were relieved that Rory was his normal self.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-12-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:39 AM   #24
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Sondo was having difficulty getting a word in edgewise, which was perhaps a good thing because it had given him time to cool off. Quite honestly, he had not thought that Sam had it in him to apologize, though Bingo was mellow enough. He was, however, still extremely annoyed at how his adventure had started off, especially when the now-awakened Rory insulted his raft. Never mind that most of those present had helped build it - Sondo was quite protective, and glared at Rory accordingly.

He cleared his throat, and everyone turned their attention to him. “Yes, it would appear that everyone is fine,” he said in answer to Bingo’s earlier question. “But we can’t have something like this happen again. Any supplies that weren’t lashed down, which is basically everything anyone brought along today, were lost.” Here there were some sighs or disappointed groans. “We need to work together in this.” Everyone nodded their agreement, whether because they actually agreed or just didn’t want to argue, Sondo didn’t know. Sam and Bingo both looked properly penitent. “As for the raft,” continued Sondo with a withering glance at Rory, “just about any boat is going to tip if you want to tussle on it.”

Feeling better now that the situation was firmly under his control again, Sondo grinned. All had been forgiven, for now, and he was eager to get going again. “At least no serious damage was done. If we can get through this, we’ll just be even more prepared if anything else happens along the way. After all, what fun would an adventure be if nothing happened? Come on, the raft’s only a little ways downstream!” Sondo struck off toward the raft, and the lads all followed along, their high spirits generally restored. Most talked merrily as they walked, sometimes laughing. Sondo caught Falco frowning, as if he had something on his mind. Sondo made a note to maybe ask about it later, but now they had reached and found the raft thankfully still tied securely to the shore.

“So are we going to make sure our supplies are undamaged?” piped up Marroc, recalling Bingo’s idea. Sondo nodded, “Yeah, I think we should. Some stuff might have gotten moved around, and it wouldn’t be any good for all the food to get crushed.”

Deftly the hobbits untied the simple knots tying the oilcloth to the raft and pulled it away. Then they stopped - some scowled, and some gaped, but Sondo was the picture of shocked anger. Sondo forgot about everything else for the moment, for underneath the oilcloth, an all too familiar stow-away had been hiding. She was his sister, and she would ruin everything.

“What are you doing here?” he demanded harshly.

Last edited by Firefoot; 01-12-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:58 PM   #25
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Primrose Bolger has just left Hobbiton.
Previous to the misadventure . . .

‘Boys are so stupid!,’ she thought to herself, chuckling quietly. ‘Even my brother!’ Sassy caught herself just as she was about to let out a small whoop over her observation. ‘Quiet, Sass,’ she reminded herself. ‘Don’t let them know you’re here.’ She hunkered down behind a thick bush watching the boys. Piled neatly on the raft was a little pile of blankets, and several small sacks of apples, taters, and little carrots and a number of tools and other things . . . all taken from the Brandybuck cellar. She knew, because she’d seen her brother and one or two of his companions sneaking them away and followed them, sliding along behind trees and running as quickly as her little feet would carry her from the shelter of one shrub or rock to another. She watched them cover the pile carefully with a large piece of oilcloth, then, later, tie it down securely to the raft with rope.

When the boys had gone, off to gather their own packs for the next day’s trip, she snuck down to the shore where the raft was tied and looked about it. For the most part the oilcloth over the mound of supplies was secured well. But being a determined eleven year old girl and one of small stature, she found a little space where two ropes crossed, leaving just enough room to pull up a corner of the cloth and wriggle beneath it. ‘This is it!’ she whispered to herself as she gave it a try and pulled the flapping corner in behind her, tucking it in neatly so that it wouldn’t be noticed. ‘This is my chance to go with him this time!’ She shivered a bit in the darkness beneath the oilcloth, but shrugged it off. She wasn’t scared . . . no, all she needed was her little cloak to pull over her and she would be fine. It was Spring after all, and sometimes Spring was a little chilly, she reassured herself.

Early next morning, before breakfast had even begun, she crept out of the Hall. Her little pack was stuffed with items she thought she might need. None of which were clothes. Fishing line borowed from her uncle’s creel with a few hooks and a number of fat, stubby candles from the kitchen, a shaker of salt, too, and a small pot of honey. Oat and currant cookies from the pantry wrapped in clean napkins, her Da’s filleting knife in its leather sheath, and a rather large ball of twine. A small, sharp hatchet meant for the woodpile, for kindling. And in one side pocket were stuffed two little rope snares for coneys or squirrels and in the other her tin mug and a spoon.

The sun had not yet burnt off the little fog that gathers along the river in the morning, so it was quite easy to slip down to the raft and hide in the little space she’d made for herself. She’d been quite tired, having stayed up most of the night to pack her needed things. It was warm under the oilcloth once she’d drawn her cloak up over her and resting her head on one of the little folded blankets, she fell asleep in spite of herself, the rocking of the raft on the river current in the little inlet lulling her.

-o-o-o-

She’d woken when the fight began. First were the loud words and then what she imagined were pushes and blows as the raft rocked and tipped. She heard the sounds of the others as they splashed into the water. She would have gone into the water herself, save for the fact her little space was well secured by rope. The cries of the Hobbits faded as the raft moved down the river, and Sassy had just peeked out from under the oilcloth, seeing if she should try to help maneuver the raft. There was no one aboard but her! She ducked her head back into the supposed safety of her little burrow and thought furiously about what she should do. Fortune smiled on her and she heard the voices of her brother and one other . . . Reggie, she thought by the sound of the voice.

Sassy realized she had been holding her breath as they tried their plan to rope something on the bank. And she almost cried out as she heard the first anchoring log snap. But somehow the raft was brought into shore and she heard Sondo talking as he tied it to a tree, telling Reggie to go on ahead; he would follow after.

Carefully easing her way back into back of her little hidey-hole, Sassy lay down, resting her head on the crook of her arm. She got her ragged breathing under control and thought about what she should do. Stay hidden or go out and wait for her brother and the others. She decided to think on it a little more and she was still not done with her thinking when she heard the gathering voices of the boys . . .

-o-o-o-

The stowaway . . .

‘What are you doing here?’ he demanded harshly.

Sassy stood up and looked her brother square in the eye, or almost in the eye, that is. She had stepped up onto one of the folded blankets, affording her a few more inches of height. In one hand was a cookie she’d been munching on to ‘help her think’, and in the other was a half-eaten apple from one of the sacks because, well, she liked the taste of them both together. In a decisive moment she jammed the remainder of her snacks into her pockets and planted her hands on her hips.

‘Don’t you talk to me like that, Mister Sondo-I’m-so-smart-I-can-sneak-away-without-anyone-knowing! Ha! I’ve been on to what you been doing and planning all along.’ She tilted her head up at him, and narrowed her eyes, giving the appearance she was considering him from a great height. ‘I’m going with you!’ she declared. Sassy looked up the river to where they’d started. ‘It’s too far now to send me back without you taking me.’ As he appeared to be considering just that option, Sassy cut off his response with a threat. ‘You do that and Da will skin you alive. Especially when his poor little girl comes in all dirty and bruised and maybe even bleeding and for sure, crying.’

She pushed a stray curl back from her face and looked round the circle of boys. ‘Uh huh - I’m coming with you.’ She bent down and fished around in her pack, pulling out a napkin filled with big cookies. ‘Anyone else want one? There’s enough for all of you?’ she said smiling sweetly at the cluster of lads.

As the boys were passing the cookies about, Sassy sidled over to where Sondo stood. She stood next to him as he looked about at his companions. With a quick move, she pinched him hard on the back of his arm as she smiled and handed him a cookie. ‘And don’t you ever talk to me like that again, or I’ll tell Da you dragged me along on this adventure,’ she whispered

Last edited by Primrose Bolger; 01-18-2005 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #26
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Reggie took a cookie and began munching on it, shivering in his wet clothes. Oh, how he envied Sassy, standing there assertively, and also decidedly dry.

He wanted to feel empathy for her, he really did. After all, he was never included in the original plan either. But a little sister? He didn't have any of his own, but most of his girl cousins were always an annoyance. The younger ones were always running amok through Brandy Hall, acting as though they owned the place and bugging he, Bingo, and their friends. And the older ones were even worse; they were all superiority and smugness, calling them naughty boys when all they were really doing was something like trying to sneak mushrooms from the kitchen or getting mud all over the parlor. Yes, girls certainly were bothersome.

But still... he had been in the same position as Sassy just a short time before, although he hadn't been met with as much resentment from Bingo as Sassy appeared to be getting from Sondo.

Ugh. If anything could be said for girls, it was that they caused nothing but trouble, and a sideways glance at Bingo, who was shaking his head disgustedly, told Reggie that his brother certainly agreed.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:25 PM   #27
Child of the 7th Age

Bingo

Bingo exchanged a meaningful glance with his brother and then moved quietly off to the side. He said nothing aloud, but only stared stubbornly at his toes with a blank expression masking the real feelings that lay underneath.

Confound it all! he ruefully mused. What kind of an adventure was this? First, he had been dumped in the water, and now there was a girl threatening to come along with them! As far as Bingo was concerned, the addition of a girl could only bring trouble. What if their journey involved danger and excitement? This Sassy character would probably sit back to wimper and complain while cowering in the corner and insisting that the older lads protect her.

Bingo had always avoided meeting the younger sisters of his friends, and Sassy was no exception. The few experiences he'd had with lasses had not been good. They had giggled at him for being shy and awkward, or even because his neatly mended clothes weren't up to the standards they had set. One of his eleven-year-old cousins had insisted that Bingo do all her errands and chores since she was too busy with other important things. As he and his brother were dependent on the charity of her parents, Bingo had grudgingly complied with all these requests, even the most outrageous and nonsensical. From what he could tell, this Sassy had a sharp tongue about her and would probably threaten to complain to Master Saradoc about Reggie and himself in the same rude way that she had browbeaten her own brother.

All the other lads had taken a cookie, but Bingo kept his hand deep within his pocket refusing to be swayed by the girl's all too obvious attempt at bribery. He walked over at Sondo and grudgingly assented, "If she's coming with us, let's go. Can't we all get back on the raft and start sailing again? I'm tired of sitting around and doing nothing. We'd best get going, or the day will run out before we find a good place to camp and cook our supper."

Bingo stepped back on the raft and curled himself up in a small ball at the very edge; he hoped that Sassy would find another place to sit. Bingo's stomach was growling loudly. He had missed second breakfast, but he wasn't about to suggest a stop for lunch. He only wanted to leave this place and hope that better things awaited them further down the river.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #28
Kitanna
Child of the West

Marroc could handle being knocked off the raft. He could handle being soaking wet. He could probably even handle meeting unpleasant folk on this adventure, but he couldn't handle Sassy coming along. He had sisters of his own who annoyed him. Now someone else's sister was here to bother the hobbit lads.

All the others were grumbling and complaining. Reggie seemed to be the only one who had any sort of sympathy for Sassy. Marroc was about to go retreat and ignore Sassy's existance when the cookies appeared. "There's enough for all of you." She said holding out a plate of cookies.

Marroc moved closer to Sassy and took a cookie. Marroc was changing his opnion of Sassy already. Could someone who offered them cookies be all that bad? "Thank you, Sassy."

Marroc continued to munch, thinking maybe this wasn't so bad after all. It was not like the raft couldn't support. She was small and light. But then again what if she was a whiner like Marroc's sisters. They'd all just have to wait and see.

Last edited by Kitanna; 01-13-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #29
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Sondo felt a burning desire to slap his sister. She was right, of course; he could not send her home - yet. They were just close enough that a party of hobbits would be able to ride out after them and bring them home before the adventure really got started. He was stuck with her. He would not, however, let her boss him around like she just had. He was older, stronger, and smarter, and on top of it all, she was a girl!

Before he had time to tell her off, Bingo came around and reminded him that they needed to be moving on. Sondo agreed; they had wasted a lot of time already. They needed to be far away by sunset. He began issuing directions: “Someone tie the oilcloth down again - we need to start sailing again. But leave the blankets out, so everyone can get dry and warmed up. Then everyone get on board the raft - I’ll be there soon.” He realized that he was quite chilly, now that he had stopped moving around. The day was warm, but not warm enough for a swim and wet clothes.

He turned his attention back to Sassy, who had begun to move triumphantly toward the raft. “Come here,” he instructed. She looked at him, and then very deliberately turned around to face him, as if it were solely by her decision that she listened at all. Sondo gritted his teeth, and when she was close enough he grabbed a small handful of her hair and held tightly. “You listen to me, you little brat,” he hissed. “First of all, I am the leader of this expedition, not you. I did not invite you along, nor do I want you here at all, but since you have decided to come along you are now under my leadership since I am the leader here. You will come with us for a while, because we are too close to home. Yes, too close - you can be home probably before tomorrow morning, and then you will send hobbits after us. But know that I will have no qualms about leaving you somewhere up ahead if you cause trouble. Then where will you be? You won’t be telling Da anything, then. When we get back and he asks where you are, I will say that you weren’t with us, or if you were you must have been hiding and were lost with all of our supplies when the raft tipped on the first day out. Got that? You are in no position of power over me or any of the other lads here, and being my sister will afford you no special favors. I won’t be taking any sass from you. Now, come on.” He released her with a shove and strode briskly toward the raft, stopping only to untie the rope lashing the raft to the shore. In this time Sassy boarded the raft.

Sondo shoved the raft off into the river, and they were once more sailing the Brandywine. He was in a foul mood, and after picking up a blanket for warmth he selected a corner of the raft and plunked down, dangling his legs in the water and gazing with unseeing eyes back upstream. For the moment, the others left him alone with his thoughts.

It was not that he hated his sister. Usually he was rather indifferent to her, except when she tried to tag along with him, in which case he sent her home without fail. He supposed it was this rejection that had led her to stowaway, and this did not put him in a better mood. Why now? Why did she insist on trying to go along with him all the time? Weren’t there any nice hobbit lasses her own age to play with? Aptly named little spitfire, he thought, as if it were a curse. Why wasn’t she docile like all the other lasses who played with dolls? Too bad she hadn’t been born a boy. She wasn’t usually this bad, and he didn’t even really mean it about leaving her someplace; he had mostly just needed some grounds with which to hold some power over her, and he wasn’t even sure she believed him anyway. Not that he was any less mad at her. Did she want to make him miserable and annoyed at her? Perhaps. He stared broodingly at the passing shores and wondered why his adventure was not like the ones in stories. Those heroes did not have to worry about tag-along little sisters. Then he vowed that she would not ruin his adventure. Would not. As far as it was in his power, he would even ignore her.

With false cheer, he got up to join some other hobbits in conversation.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:06 PM   #30
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
As Sondo moved to join the others, Falco stepped in his way and gestured for him to sit down. Falco sat down as well, and he was silent for a few moments. Every so often he would glance at Sondo, or at Sassy, or down at the water. At last he spoke, slowly and quietly, but with a very clear ring of annoyance in his voice.

"Look here, Sondo, I thought this was a good idea to start with," he said, "and I still think it has some promise. But you can't deny that things haven't come off to a wonderful start. Mind you, I'm not questioning your leadership, but I am saying that there are some things that should, and need to, be improved." He glanced over his shoulder at the other boys. "First, you need to get a better hold on the other boys. The raft tipping wasn't a good thing, as I'm sure I don't need to tell you. You really need to sharpen up, Sondo."

Falco realised, of course, that it was not Sondo's fault that the raft had tipped, but he had a vague idea that the leader was responsible for all under his command, and what was laid to blame upon them should also be laid to blame upon the leader. Anyway, Sondo had to be told that the adventure wasn't starting well. Falco did not break it gently, but told it exactly as he saw it. Sondo appeared annoyed and perhaps slightly angry, but he was too used to Falco's manner of suggesting improvement and giving advice to fly into a great rage.

"The raft was bad enough," said Falco. "Everyone was scared ('Except me,' he thought). Sam thanked me very humbly when I fished him out. If that's not a sure signal that they were scared, nothing is. Besides losing morale and running the risk of mutiny - " whereupon Falco drew himself up a little with pride for using such exceptional words " - we've also lost some supples ('I think,' he added to himself... he wasn't sure if they had our not... he hadn't exactly been paying attention). But I was willing to put up with that because we're not a bad set of boys and I think we can re-coop-i-ate well and trudge on. But this business about your little sister is going much too far."

"I spoke to her," said Sondo, through slightly tight lips. "She won't cause any trouble if she knows what's good for her."

"I don't care if she causes trouble or not! Her mere presence is trouble. Do you think she's going to keep quiet when Sammy starts saying sharp and grumpy things? Eh? Mind you, I'm not trying to insult your sister. I think she's a fine little girl in her place... but this isn't her place."

"I can't send her back," said Sondo. "Unless you want to be caught... and whipped..."

Falco pondered over this for a moment. "Very well," he conceded. "I suppose we can't send her back. But things have come off to a bad start, Sondo. Really they have."

"Do you think I'm not capable of being leader?"

"No, no, I wouldn't say that," said Falco, after some hesitation. "You're capable of it. But, like I said before, you need to sharpen up. And you need to keep an eye on that sister of yours." He paused for a moment, and then smiled in a comradely way. "I'm not trying to stir up trouble," he said, "and I'm not thinking of mutiny myself. I just wanted to give you a little advice... before the other boys started giving their opinions by deserting and... and... mutiny-ing."
Old 01-14-2005, 04:30 AM   #31
Primrose Bolger
Wight

Sassy swatted at one, or most probably more, of the little gnats that hung in clouds along the riverbank this time of day. They were buzzing near her ear, threatening to chew on the tender parts. And really the sound of them was becoming more annoying than the buzz and hum of Sondo’s words as he scolded her. She hadn’t really been listening to Sondo as he talked. In fact, she had tuned him out as soon as he started his declaration. ‘First of all, I am the leader of this expedition . . .,’ he had begun. ‘Well of course you are,’ she thought to herself, squinting up at him in the sunlight. ‘You’re Sondo. You’re always the leader.’

She kept her attentive face on as he went on. It was a well practiced face, used mostly for times when her Ma or Aunty or one of the twins felt it was time to ‘take the young lass in hand’ for something. She opened her eyes wide and looked toward the person speaking, a look of sincere attention on her face. Then she’d let her mind wander, being careful to keep one ear tuned to the scolder’s voice. This time she was looking at the pools and eddies that lay along the river’s bank, thinking about what her Gammer had taught her about fishing. The gnats were hatching and she could just see where fish were rising to the surface to feed.

‘. . . and being my sister will afford you no special favors. I won’t be taking any sass from you. Now, come on.’ She caught the change in the pattern of his speech and brought her attention fully back to him. He’d shoved her a little, toward the boat, and she trotted aboard eagerly, glad that he was done talking. She was on the raft, out in the open, with the others! A part of the adventure!

The others on board seemed to ignore her, for the most part. But she was used to that, that’s how it was at home, too. Though . . . she looked slyly at two of the younger boys, Reggie and Marroc. They weren’t exactly overly friendly, but at least they weren’t grumbling about ‘girl’ and ‘little sister’. Maybe she could be pals with them. She looked toward her brother who seemed to be cornered by that Falco fellow. He looked sneaky, Falco did, to her. And some of the things he was saying sounded pretty darned whiney, though truth be told she couldn’t hear all his words. Sondo had that set look on his face. ‘Not gonna get anything by MY big brother,’ she muttered smugly, thinking to herself this was one of those people you didn’t want to be around too much. He looked like trouble to her.

With a shrug, she shouldered her pack and walked carefully to one side of the moving raft. The gnats she noted, were less bothersome now that they were on the move. 'Just like Gammer said,' she thought to herself. For a few moments she stood looking at the water. Sassy poked about in her pack, looking to find the fishing line she’d brought. Once found, she measured out several arms length, and taking her little scissors from her vest pocket, she snipped off the length. One of her uncle’s hooks was soon deftly tied on, and a bit of linty apple from her breeches pocket stuck on the sharp point. She plopped herself down on the edge of the raft, tucking her feet beneath her. Reggie’s brother was there, curled in a ball, and she could hear his stomach rumbling quite loudly. Tying her line onto the handle of her spoon, she trailed it out into one of the eddies as they passed near it. No luck with the first one, or the second, but the third cast was luckier, and a plump little trout caught the apple with its hidden hook and was soon pulled aboard, wriggling and slapping against the wooden surface of the raft.

‘Hey!’ cried Sassy, delighted with her catch. ‘Any one fancy some nice crispy fish for supper?’ She looked round with a grin on her face. ‘I’ve more line and hooks if you want to give it a try.’ Sassy cast her little line out again, not really expecting an answer . . .

Last edited by Primrose Bolger; 01-14-2005 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #32
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Rory was usually the foolishly optimistic, slightly ridiculous, member of the hobbit lads, but he doesn't understand why Sassy was allowed to join. Just her name spelt trouble. Rory had his own tattling sister, and if Sassy was anything like Mirabella, he was going to have an awful time; he just knew it.

When the cookies got to him, Rory didn't want to attract attention, so he decided to pull one out. He gave it to Reggie, "Here you can have it, I'm not that hungry." somehow Reggie wasn't convinced. He could hear Rory's stomach grumble. Reggie still took the cookie and munched it down.

Rory went and sat down staired into the murky water. Why did he come? He was having no fun, not only that, but he was going to be in serious trouble when he got home. Rory didn't get depressed very often, and when he did, he always got out of it rather quick, but it's hard to be cheerful when everyone around him is moping around, with frowns on their faces. The only ones that were happy, were the ones congradulating Sassy for the cookies, and that only made things worse.

Then when Sassy caught a fish, Rory only grumbled more. Eventhough he didn't know Sassy very well, he kept thinking of his spoiled brat sister, Mirabella, and how much trouble she's gotten him into in the past. He just thought of Sassy as a show off, trying to win all the hobbits' affection. "She isn't gonna win me over, I don't care how many fish she catches." He said, then he thought he might have stated it rather loud, and was afraid some of the hobbits heard him....

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-14-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #33
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

"She isn't gonna win me over, I don't care how many fish she catches," Reggie heard Rory grumble. Then he fell quite silent, as though worried that everyone else could hear him. It was likely, since few secrets could be kept for long within the confines of a raft. Reggie looked around at his mostly morose friends. Sassy kept on fishing, her cheery words hving fallen dead in the air.

He quietly edged over to where Rory was sitting. The other hobbit glanced up at him, and then let out a small derisive snort. "D'you think the whole raft heard?"

Reggie shrugged. "I don't think they care, anyways." There was a minute of silence, broken only by low grumbling and the sounds of the river. He thought about the situation. If she wanted to be the one to take care of getting food and things, then what was the harm in that? Of course, a few things would have to be set straight with the young girl: there was no way that the older boys would be taking any orders from her.

"If she wants to help us find food, I guess that's a good thing," Reggie said, looking to see the other lad's expression. It remained grim.

"It's nothing but bribery," Rory returned, staring out at the riverbank. Reggie felt momentarily guilty, like the time when he and his cousins disobeyed Aunt Hilda, sneaked into the kitchens, and ate half a cake they found there, only to discover later that it was to be a surprise for a wedding anniversary. His full stomach almost made him feel traitorous. But at least he wasn't going to go hungry...

"I guess it's like in those real adventure stories," Reggie mused. "With the corsairs and their big ships and everything. You know, so far we've capsized, and we've found a stowaway..." From the other side of the raft, Falco's conversation with Sondo drifted over. "deserting and... and... mutiny-ing." Reggie wasn't sure what mutinying was, but he thought he remembered it had something to do with pirates and adventure. "I wonder if we'll be fightin' any pirates next."
Old 01-15-2005, 04:54 PM   #34
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Even though Falco assured him that it wasn’t, Sondo still couldn’t help but feel slightly threatened. He was becoming increasingly annoyed with Falco’s direct manner, and he had noticed his hesitation before answering the previous question. Did Falco think that he was unaware of the fact that nothing had gone very well yet? None of it was his fault, but he was doing the best he could to correct it, and here was Falco criticizing him! Sondo took a deep breath before responding. Getting mad at Falco would do no good - it may even cause more disunity among the lads.

“I shouldn’t have to worry about that. It’ll get better,” answered Sondo, unable to keep a slight edge out of his voice.

Falco shrugged. “I’m just telling you how I see it.” It was then that Sassy announced her catch, and Sondo directed his vexation her way once more. What was she trying to do, win them all over with food? First the cookies, then the fish? They wouldn’t be able to cook the fish, since they weren’t stopping until night. Enough time had already been wasted ashore. Sondo realized he was hungry, though, and so probably was everyone else. None of them had eaten much since breakfast.

“Let’s go get something to eat - we brought plenty of food,” said Sondo abruptly, ending the conversation. He was pretty sure that it was about over anyway. Falco agreed. Carefully so as not to tip the raft, the pair made their way over to the covered supplies. Sondo untied a corner of the oilcloth, revealing a good store of food.

“Hey, everyone!” said Sondo to get the lads’ attention, though some had already caught on. “Let’s have some lunch.” The prospect of a meal seemed to cheer them all to a greater or lesser extent. Rory especially seemed glad to have food not gotten by a girl. Sondo dug out some bread, cold chicken, and fruit to pass around. Being hungry, most took generous servings, and Sondo fleetingly wondered just how long their food supplies would last - after all, two people had been added to their coterie since stockpiling the supplies, and they were growing hobbits. As quickly as the thought had come, it was gone, and Sondo ceased to worry about it. Mostly the hobbits returned to their previous locations on the raft after receiving some lunch so as to balance the weight.

Sondo took the time to notice several things about the group at this time. The first was that for all her fish and cookies, Sassy had not been above getting some lunch like the rest of them. The second was that though Reggie had not been originally included, he fit in well, and seemed to be forming a friendship with Rory. Sam had remained unusually friendly, a change Sondo hoped would last but doubted it. Last was that Bingo seemed unusually moody since they had set out again. Sondo supposed that if he was to fear mutiny, Bingo might be the one to instigate it. He seemed genuinely unhappy with the adventure thus far, and he was more independent than most of them and generally well-liked, besides having a staunch supporter in Reggie. Sondo supposed that Bingo might even be annoyed with him, what with allowing his brother to come along, and then his own sister showing up. Sondo almost thought that he could sympathize with the other hobbit, though Reggie was decidedly older and a boy besides. He didn’t have nearly the control that Sondo did however.

So the day waned on. Sondo knew of nothing to do to raise the morale except hope that Sassy stayed out of everyone’s way and that a good night’s sleep with full stomachs would cheer everyone. Eventually Sondo had gone over to sit near Bingo for some company. Bingo was the one Sondo felt he was able to relate with most, at the moment.

“Do you mind if I sit here?” Sondo had asked, plunking down.

“Go ahead,” Bingo had answered.

“It’ll get better, you know,” said Sondo after a while. “Right now, we’re all sort of getting used to this.”

“I hope so,” said Bingo. After that they hadn’t said a whole lot. It wasn’t really the uncomfortable sort of silence, though; simply neither of them had much to say to the other. Suppertime came, but due to the late lunch and lack of activity afterward no one had said anything about being hungry. The sun cast long shadows stretching eastward, and golden light glinted off the river, flickering with the current. It was ironic that the day which had started so poorly would end in such a dazzling show of light. It’s pretty, really, thought Sondo, but he didn’t realize that he had spoken aloud until Bingo responded softly, “Yeah.”

Sondo realized that it would be too dark to sail soon, and figured he had better start looking for a place to stop for the night and cook dinner. With a word of explanation to Bingo he got up and gathered up a rope to bring them to shore. He called to Reggie who was still chatting with Rory and now Marroc, “Reggie, you were able to catch a tree earlier today - do you think you could do that again now?” Then more generally, “Everyone else, start gathering up what we’ll need for the night - we’re stopping.” Reggie acquiesced, and Sondo soon found a promising spot on the eastern shore. Reggie cast the rope out and it caught, bringing the raft to shore without mishap. The hobbits all seemed glad to see the end of the day, and with more enthusiasm than they had had since before the raft tipped, they set up camp. It had been a long day, and Sondo dearly hoped that his adventure would pick up after the rocky start.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:13 AM   #35
Primrose Bolger
Wight

As good as the bread and chicken looked and smelled, Sassy passed them up. She was not immune to the barely concealed disgust with which most of the others viewed her, and she figured that eating their food would simply make them all the madder. She did take an apple, for they seemed to have plenty of those.

The others gathered together in their little groups, and offered no invitation to sit with them. Oh, well . . . she said to herself, shrugging it off. I’m the odd Hobbit out as Gammer Brandybuck would say. She gathered her pack and moved as far away as the surface of the raft would allow. She hung her legs over the side of the raft, just far enough to let the water riffle against her feet. There were still a few cookies left in her pack, so she fished one out and ate it with her apple. Stashed in the side of one of the front pack pockets was a packet of dried, smoked coney strips, the sort her uncle took with him when he was venturing far upstream to fish and wouldn’t be home til next morning. She took out a whole one, then thinking better of it, broke it in two. Who knew how long this trip would be.

Light played prettily across the water as the sun headed off for bed. Sassy fixed the picture in her mind, intending to share it with her Gammer once she’d got back. With the encroaching darkness, the air grew a little chilly, and Sassy pulled her little wool cloak about her shoulders fastening it securely beneath her chin. Pulling her knees up to her chin, she clasped her arms about her legs and watched the banks of the river with their rushy edges and stands of cattails slide by. Here and there a duck paddled along, leaving a wide ‘V’ of water in its wake. And once, in a marshy little inlet pushed in against a bend in the channel, a heron poked along among the rushes in the muddy flat, looking to spear a tasty fat frog.

When it was almost dark, Sondo called for Reggie to cast out a rope and hook a tree. The throw was successful and soon the raft was brought up onto the river’s bank for the night. Sassy stood to the side as the others hauled their needed supplies off to a little campsite they’d picked. She trailed along, half hoping that someone would ask her to join in, but knowing they wouldn’t. She fetched her little fish from the stringer in the water, plucking a few stalks of the tall cattails as she did.

Sassy found a dry, cozy spot near the boys’ camp. At the base of a wide old willow. She spread leaned her pack against the trunk then looked about in the failing light for what she needed. There were plenty of small twigs and branches lying about, and she gathered them into a small depression she dug out in the soil a short ways away from the tree’s trunk. Fetching her flint from her pack, she got a little fire going. She didn’t need much, just enough to cook the fat trout she’d caught earlier. She gutted it carefully making sure not to slice her own fingers with the sharp knife, then spitted it like her uncle had showed her and cooked it over the fire. It was her Gammer who’d told her about the cattails – peel the stems and salt them a little and they tasted just like fresh, sweet cucumbers from her Ma’s garden. She picked every bit of the tasty meat from the fish once it was done, licking her fingers as the juice ran down them. A mug of cold water dipped from the river washed the feast down. And with another, she splashed her hands to clean them.

Her little fire had nearly burned down to ash by the time darkness fell fully. Sassy covered it with dirt to put it out, then sat listening under the cover of night to the sounds from the boys’ camp. ‘I wonder what they had for dinner?’ she thought sleepily, snuggling down after a bit near the willow’s trunk, her head resting on a low root and the rest of her wrapped warmly in her little cloak. It had been a long day and soon sleep found her, sending dreams of grand adventures to come dancing beneath her closed eyes.

Last edited by Primrose Bolger; 01-16-2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #36
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Rory perked up at the sound of food. It's amazing how much merrier Rory is on a full stomach. Once you are full, you don't remember ever being hungry. Chicken, apples, bread...now all we'll need are a few good pints and we'll have a meal fit for a king, Rory thought. Ok, maybe there will be no pints on the journey, but atleast there's good food.

Most of the hobbits were in their cheerful conversations. Rory, Marroc, and Reggie were telling stories of when they got in trouble, since those were the best. "I told my younger brother, Madoc, that Mirabella had taken his mushrooms. He threw his tea on her." Reggie and Marroc began to laugh, "It was the funniest thing I've done in a while." Somehow, above all the other conversations, Sassy heard what Rory did to his sister, and thought how low and wicked it was, but let it go. Then Reggie began to tell how he took all the Sackville-Bagginses' spoons, "And to this day I don't think they've gotten them back." Rory said he would have never thought of that and Marroc chimed up, "Good I don't like them Sackville-Bagginses."

Then Reggie was summoned to pull in the raft, since it was getting dark, and it would be tough to see soon. All the hobbits enthusiastically nodded their heads, agreeing it was time to call it a night, they didn't want to have anymore setbacks today.

All the hobbits were safely pulled ashore. They began to discuss what would they do tomorrow, while all chowing down on more chicken. The hobbits got tired after their supper, and decided to call it a night. Sassy was off by herself, eating her fish. Despite all the problems today, Rory was full, and enjoyed his conversation with Reggie and Marroc. Today was a good day, Rory thought to himself, and tomorrow will only be better.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-17-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #37
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Sondo awoke at dawn in high spirits. It was a beautiful day - the sun was shining in a cloudless sky. A touch of dew lay over everything and the birds were singing in the trees. This was his adventure, his dream, so why should he feel down-trodden about it? Even Sassy could not dampen his mood, partially because he was simply ignoring her presence in as many ways as possible. The other hobbits were in various stages of wakefulness, but he was the first to get up and start moving around. He was soon joined by others, who helped him build up the fire and start roasting some meat for breakfast. Those who still were not up were soon drawn to the fire by the scent of food. It wasn’t exactly an ideal breakfast, being that they had no eggs or bacon or muffins or any of the other traditional breakfast foods, but all in all it tasted fine.

As leader, Sondo’s cheery mood was mirrored in the other hobbits, who generally seemed encouraged by the new day anyway. The morning activities of eating and reloading supplies were spent in light banter and conversation. Sassy stayed largely on the periphery, suiting Sondo fine. In fact, he hoped she felt a little left out, as payment for forcing herself on them like this. He was soon distracted from her by a question concerning the arrangement of supplies on the raft, and paid her no more heed.

Soon, they were ready to sail again. They performed a quick check to make sure nothing was being left behind and put out the cooking fire before loading onto the raft again. He felt that it was his duty to keep the morale high, since it would make for a more enjoyable day as well as safeguard against mutiny (the thought of which scared him a good deal more than he would admit, even to himself). So as soon as the raft was underway, he spoke up.

“Fellow adventurers! We got off to a rough start yesterday, but this day and all following will be better. Soon, we will be entering into lands completely strange to us, and then will our adventure truly begin. If we want, we may even go all the way to the Sea! Few hobbits have ever seen the Sea, and even fewer have come home to tell of it. We could be heroes!” He wasn’t sure where that part about the Sea had come from, but it sounded good. He did not really understand just how far away that was, having only seen brief glimpses of maps outside the Shire, but it sounded good, and most of the hobbits seemed to be buying it. He continued, “And it all starts here. In only a few days we can start making trips away from the raft rather than sailing farther downstream for a day and seeing what we can. After all, that’s what adventures are for!” He really did not know where his adventure was going. It seemed that most of the heroes in stories had some kind of quest, like Old Mad Baggins, or Isengrim the Mariner. He did not have a purpose, but perhaps one would present itself along the way.

His speech was met with general approval, especially from the hobbits who were characteristically more optimistic. Oh, but it was a glorious day for adventuring!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:22 AM   #38
Child of the 7th Age

Sondo's predictions were happily true. The sun shone bright over the voyagers as they made their way forward. The current was brisk but not too strong as it carried the raft steadily down river. Two times, the boat came up against a pile of jagged grey boulders appearing out of nowhere in the middle of their path. But Sondo gave instructions to the lads and, working together, they were able to use their makeshift poles crafted from the branches of trees to push off from the rocks before any damage was done and resume their journey. By late morning their progress had been so good that Sondo had agreed they should put into shore and take a moment for a bite to eat.

After they'd steered the raft to the side, the lads and Sassy scrambled out and sprinted up the bank, continuing to run up the grassy knoll that stood close by. This gave them an excellent vantage from which to view the Baranduin as well as the surrounding countryside. Bingo turned around, with his back facing the river, staring eastward. The land that they had come through was a vast expanse of forest; ahead the terrain looked less wooded, with more rolling hills. On the other side of the river, just barely visible, was a stretch of land veering westward that looked to be a marsh.

Bingo wondered what would happen when they came to the edge of the lands where hobbits dwelled, if they ever got that far. Would there be a bright line on the earth, with hobbits lined up on one side and big folk on the other? He didn't really think so, but it made him uneasy to consider going into territory where there were vast number of Men roaming. Like many Bucklanders, he had been to Bree once in his life, but had felt a bit uncomfortable and was glad to head home again.

His brother Reggie seemed to be settling in easily on the trip, The young lad had chatted comfortably with Rory and Marroc, and only occasionally looked back at his older brother for a steadying grin or reassurance. Bingo's earlier fears that his brother would turn out to be a millstone around his neck were not proving to be the case. For the most part, Bingo was left on his own and could do as he pleased.

He could not help noticing that Sassy had sat by herself for most of the morning, quietly keeping to the edge of the raft. Bingo truly did not like girls and preferred to keep a distance, but he had enough gentleness in his heart to feel uncomfortable at the thought of anyone sitting off by themselves without a friend in sight. There had been too many times that he had been in the same situation. He could see that she had finished her lunch. The other hobbits were still up on the bank eating. Bingo quickly shoved the last morsel of bread and cheese into his mouth, and went to pick up a netting and two pair of heavy gloves that he'd found in the supplies. Walking down to the water, he stopped for an instant beside Sassy and casually mentioned, "I'm going down by the water to try and catch a turtle so we can cook a batch of soup later tonight. I saw a drove of them hiding in the reeds and dozing. Don't know if you want to help, but you're welcome to come."

With that, he nonchalantly tossed down a pair of gloves, mentioning that the turtles were snappers and it was best to be careful. He walked purposefully down to the water, never looking back. If she came, so be it. If not, he'd try to get one on his own. In any case, he'd better hurry. Sondo would likely have them get back on the rafts as soon as they finished lunch to continue their journey southward.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-18-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:43 AM   #39
Primrose Bolger
Wight

It was the dull thunk of the gloves near her that made her believe the he just might mean for her to go with him. Sassy scrambled up from her seat on the ground and picking up the gloves and her pack followed after him. She noted he carried his own pair of gloves . . . and a net. Her little brow wrinkled as she tried to imagine what he was going to do with it. She shrugged her shoulders; perhaps that was how his family did it. But try as she might she just couldn’t see how it would work. The net looked too flimsy for the claws and jaws of a sizable snapper.

Sassy shouldered her little pack and ran up beside him, saying ‘thanks!’ as she tucked the gloves in the waistband of her breeches. They walked along in companionable silence until they neared the reedy area, stopping only once as she ran off to the side of the little grassy track to pick up two very stout, thick sticks. Bingo looked at her, his brows raised, but she just grinned up at him. ‘Comes in handy,’ she said, not offering much of an explanation. ‘My Uncle Maddy showed me.’

The two Hobbits stood for a few moments on the edge of the reedy area. There were, indeed, a number of snappers dozing among the reeds in the muddy flats. Bingo loosed his net and put on his gloves, nodding toward where the turtles were lolling. Sassy pointed a little ways up the river where an old willow grew on the bank, its roots a tangle as they dipped into the river. ‘Think I might try my luck there,’ she said. ‘Unless you need my help with something?’ Bingo shrugged, and she took that as an okay.

Sassy put her pack on the bank, taking out her little hatchet to lean against its side. Then she edged out onto the root tangle, hunkering down to peer through the intertwining roots. At first she had no luck, but she inched along and finally found what she was looking for. There was a snoozing turtle, about ten inches across, all cozy in the little passageway it had found for itself beneath the roots. She picked her way quietly to the tail end of the turtle, noting how it had tunneled in. Putting her gloves on, Sassy thrust her arm carefully into the hole and grabbed the snapper by his long tail. A struggled ensued, but the determined girl planted her feet and drew the hissing turtle out. It was not one of the granddaddy turtles, but it was a fair size, and would add a good bit of meat to Bingo’s plans for soup.

‘Got one!’ she called, dragging the creature backwards up the slope and onto the top of the river’s bank. The snapper was spitting mad and tried twisting itself this way and that with its claws dug in to get at its capturer. At one point, her foot slipped on the muddy bank, and the turtle nipped her soundly on the ankle, causing her to yelp loudly. She scrambled her feet out of range never letting go of the tail. ‘Hey! Can you help me here?’ she cried, calling out to Bingo. He came quickly, adding his weight to the pull as they eased the turtle toward her pack. ‘Get that stick there,’ she told Bingo, nodding at those she’d brought along. Bingo took hold of one of the stout stick and bopped the turtle on the nose. Like greased lightning, the snapper stretched out its neck and grabbed hold of the stick intending to do in its tormentor. Bingo kept a tight hold on the stick, keeping the turtle’s neck extended. With a quick move of her own, Sassy let go the tail and grabbing up her little hatchet, severed the head of the turtle from its neck. ‘Whew!’ exclaimed, standing back with her hands on her hips as she surveyed the catch. ‘That ‘un was a fighter!’ Sassy smiled widely at Bingo. ‘Hey, thanks!’ she said, grinning still. They could hear the turtle he’d netted flopping and hissing and tearing at the net that held him. ‘Want some help with that one?’ she asked getting out her hatchet and the other stick.

The walk back to the camp with their catch was a little less quiet. That is, Bingo was not much of a talker, but he listened to her burbling on about what fun that was, and how she hadn’t known you could hunt turtles with a net, but next time she’d try it, and how this was the second time she’d been snagged by a snapper, showing him a scar on her thumb as well as the little gash on her ankle. ‘Oh my gosh, I’m running off at the mouth aren’t I?’ she asked. ‘Sorry! My Gammer says sometimes I talk too much. Just tell me to be quiet . . . I’m used to it!’

They could hear the sounds of the other boys as they neared the camp. They were putting things back on the raft, getting ready to go. ‘Good thing you’re back, Bingo!’ one of them cried. ‘We just about left you!’ Sassy helped secure the two turtles on a short length of rope, so they could drag along in the cold water of the river to keep fresh. She looked about as the boys gathered on the raft, standing about in groups of twos and threes. Bingo had gone over to talk to his brother. With a resigned little sigh, she sat down again near the edge of the raft and leaned against her pack, dipping her nipped ankle in the cool, soothing water . . .

Last edited by Primrose Bolger; 01-18-2005 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #40
Child of the 7th Age

Bingo:

Bingo had said little as they walked down to the river to catch the turtles. His mind was preoccupied with other things. When his mother and father were alive, they had fled the acrimony of Brandy Hall and occupied a rambling burrow near the banks of the Baranduin, almost like the Stoors of days long past. Dinodas Brandybuck, Bingo’s father, had always been fond of turtles and thought them quite intriguing. He had a gift for trapping and hunting the creatures that enabled him to keep his wife and children fed while trading leftover turtles back to Brandy Hall for other goods.

Bingo remembered the day he had helped his father dam a side tributary of the river to create a large holding pond at the rear of the family’s burrow. They had stocked the pond with fish and turtles and encircled it with a tall wood fence. In it lived a snapper named George, round and heavy as a boulder, with a nasty temper that was even more pronounced than his massive size. George had somehow escaped the family’s cooking pot to live several years in the pond, making steady inroads on his smaller neighbors there. Whenever Bingo walked over to the pond to do some errand for his Da, George regularly terrorized the lad, coming close to try and nip his toes.

Despite this, Dinodas had defended the turtle to his son, pointing out that George had reason for his actions, “A smart critter, and no wonder he’s so testy. He’s lived longer than even Mister Bilbo of Hobbiton, and that’s no easy task.”

On the night that Bingo learned of his mother and father’s deaths, he had gone to the pond and enticed old George into a wooden box, lugging him down to the river before setting the monstor free. Bingo had never seen George again, but he was sure he had done the right thing.

As he reached the water’s edge with Sassy, Bingo pulled back from his musings. He nodded goodbye to the lass and set out to trap a turtle of his own. Sassy had looked askance at the net he was carrying. It wasn't the best of traps to use, but it would have to do. Back home, his father has crafted floating traps made of a special kind of hollow wood and then lured the turtles in with bait. He did not have one of those. But in a pinch, other things would work almost as well. He leaned over the edge and dropped the net into the shallows, threading a few slivers of chicken onto a hook attached to a line. The line had several other sharp barbs sticking out near the end; these did not have any bait. When the sleepy turtle came up to look and clamped his mouth down on the chicken, he had not only been snared by the original hook, but the other two had each embedded in a leg, making it more difficult for the thrashing creature to reach back and nab Bingo.

Bingo drew the net tight and cut his line, still leaving the hooks in the turtle’s mouth and legs. Then he stuck a stick under the snapper’s nose. The turtle clamped down and refused to let go, which was exactly what Bingo had hoped for. The lad quickly slid a piece of rag over the snapper’s head to keep him from seeing and bundled him out of the water, squalling and kicking, before laying the creature down on the bank and chopping off the head with the help of Sassy's hatchet. After that, he'd removed the hooks and carried the body in the net bag.

He had thanked the lass for her help. For all her youth and wagging tongue, she had shown considerable skill and bravery. Then he'd run back to rejoin the other lads and left Sassy behind. Several of the lads were admiring his catch, which made Bingo puff up with quiet pride. Then, at Sondo's insistence, they had gathered together the last of their belongings and bundled them into the raft as everyone again found their places. Within a short time, they had pushed off from shore and continued their southwesterly path.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-19-2005 at 10:36 AM.