The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Mansun

Mordor inspired by Nazi Germany?

I know Tolkein had flatly refused to link the LOTR with World War II, but who can resist drawing the comparisons between the mighty Dark Lord Sauron, amassing armies to assault Middle Earth, as with Adolph Hitler during his reign in Nazi Germany and his seige on Europe? Their respective ends differ somewhat, but their ambitions in life were tragically similar and malicious. Was this then the inspiration for the settings of Mordor and it's ruler as described in the LOTR?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There might be something to what you say. Hitler was a manipulator and a deceiver, like Sauron. However, I do not think that this slight similarity was intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
Their respective ends differ somewhat, but their ambitions in life were tragically similar and malicious.
World domination were both of their goals, but isn't that every evil geniuses dream? You would think that they would come up with something different but no... they have to have the world or die trying. It would be very weird if Sauron proclaimed orcs to be the arian race.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Mansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
There might be something to what you say. Hitler was a manipulator and a deceiver, like Sauron. However, I do not think that this slight similarity was intentional.

World domination were both of their goals, but isn't that every evil geniuses dream? You would think that they would come up with something different but no... they have to have the world or die trying. It would be very weird if Sauron proclaimed orcs to be the arian race.

It is interesting that the Last Battle could have been compared with the Great War, and the Third Age reflecting the events of the Second World War. Mordor and Nazi Germany were perhaps too ambitious with their strategy for domination of other countries, leaving themselves exposed to a counterattack of some description.

Sauron could have held Mordor, in theory, for eternity if he chose to remain interested in defending Mordor only. I wonder if the same could have been true for Nazi Germany?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

One of the things I love about good, solid literature is the ability to find symbolism where the author hadn't intended to put it. In this way you are free to draw your own conclusion to your life, to history, or to what you will without being right or wrong in your analysis.

Though Tolkien refused the connection to WWII in his works what an author witnesses in their lifetime can and often will come across in their writings, whether directly (as C.S. Lewis often did) or indirectly in Tolkien's case.

After taking a class about the military history of WWII I was often drawing connections to LOTR. Obviously Mordor can be seen as playing the role of Nazi Germany. There's a leader who was defeated once and spent time licking his wounds before unleashing himself on the world. Isengard plays a more Italian role. A great threat, but one that proves easier to beat thanks to the strength of an allied cause. In this case the Ents.

Gondor can be seen as the British. Gondor fought long and hard against Mordor often times holding it alone, much like Great Britain did after the defeat of France and while Russia and the US were trying to steer clear of trouble. And Rohan can be a more American role. They were fully roused to action after a grievous attack on their native soil (Helm's Deep as a sort of Pearl Harbor attack). In this case it would make Eomer an FDR figure, always pushing his countrymen forward because he understands this looming evil.

Quote:
Sauron could have held Mordor, in theory, for eternity if he chose to remain interested in defending Mordor only. I wonder if the same could have been true for Nazi Germany?
The world probably would have let Hitler get away with violence and murders and defense of his borders as long as he stayed within his borders. Once he institutes blitzkrieg on a neighbor though... Sauron on the other hand was a known threat and countless lives would be lost trying to break through his border defenses to overthrow him.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Yes and no!

Go not to the elves etc.

One thing to remember is that Tolkien was writing LoTR during the Second World War.

Quote:
In spite of the darkness of the next five years I found that the story could not now be wholly abandoned, and I plodded on, mostly by night, till I stood by Balin's tomb in Moria. There I halted for a long while. It was almost a year later when I went on and came to Lothlorien and the Great River late in 1941.
I don't want to get into allegory or applicability territory but I'm sure that WWII must have affected the story. Remember that as the Prof was writing 'Balin son of Fundin' the War was still very much in the balance. Perhaps the overwhelming power of the Sauronic forces reflects Britain's plight during that time. We could very well have lost without the Soviets and the USA. By late '41 both were our Allies and it looked as if we were going to be on the winning side, did this perhaps inspire the continuation of the story, knowing that someone would probably read it in the future? I'd guess that it would have been banned as 'anti-totalitarian propaganda' had the war gone the other way.

Also, a major influence was Tolkien's own front-line service in the tenches of WWI, which comes across to me in the Dead Marshes and the pits before the Morannon, and in the early Fall of Gondolin.

On WWII specifics, I've always had a fancy that the Nazgul's steeds were inspired by Stukas, same nasty wail and terrifying effect no doubt, and continually being shown bombing refugees in the British propaganda films of the time.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
If I may be permitted to take up Burrahobbit's mantle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun View Post
but who can resist drawing the comparisons between the mighty Dark Lord Sauron, amassing armies to assault Middle Earth, as with Adolph Hitler during his reign in Nazi Germany and his seige on Europe?

Me.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Rohan can be a more American role. They were fully roused to action after a grievous attack on their native soil (Helm's Deep as a sort of Pearl Harbor attack
Helm's Deep was not exactly a 'sneak attack'. The Rohirrim had already fought Saruman's forces at the Fords of Isen, which was where Théoden's son Théodred met his end. It must also be remembered that if not for Gandalf the victory at Helm's Deep would very likely not have occurred, and the King would have been captured or killed at Edoras. That said, I don't think Éomer can be compared to FDR. He was a military leader, perhaps more of a Patton, and had little influence on 'policy' decisions for the Rohirrim until very late in the War..
Old 07-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Helm's Deep was not exactly a 'sneak attack'.
I was speaking of it more on the fact it was on Rohan's land rather than it being a sneak attack. Rohan was no stranger to attacks like the US, but it took a major battle to move them forward into an aggressive position, much the the US couldn't be moved until after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

And as for FDR and Eomer both were trying to push their countries toward war for the security of their lands.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Mansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Me.
Perhaps this thread is not for you then, Formendacil. This thread seeks intelligent posters of the highest order.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
And as for FDR and Eomer both were trying to push their countries toward war for the security of their lands.
I wouldn't go that far, FDR was cautious to keep America out of the war because the Americans wanted to stay out of it. Most likely America would have stayed out of the war in Europe entirely if it wasn't for Hitler declaring war on us.

I am entirely convinced that Tolkien meant what he said with not being inspired by events of WWII for the The Lord of the Rings, indeed I think that you could draw comparisons between any two things if you put your mind to it. It is neat to look at SOME of the similarities between the two. Gandalf for example would probably be the Winston Churchill of Middle Earth: desperately trying to wake people up to the danger that is coming and eventually succeeding.

That was a nice point that you made, Kitanna, in post four.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Brevity thy name is wit

Whoops, let's not get into personal attacks here; let's just look at the ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
If I may be permitted to take up Burrahobbit's mantle...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
:

but who can resist drawing the comparisons between the mighty Dark Lord Sauron, amassing armies to assault Middle Earth, as with Adolph Hitler during his reign in Nazi Germany and his seige on Europe?

Me.
A clever acknowledgement of burrahobbit's clever and witty eloquence, Formendacil. I will go, however, for something less succinct.

Quote:
Gondor can be seen as the British. Gondor fought long and hard against Mordor often times holding it alone, much like Great Britain did after the defeat of France and while Russia and the US were trying to steer clear of trouble.
Well, let's take this further to see what legs it can stand on. Who in Gondor would play Chamberlain's role of appeasement? What to do about that awkward bit about the king with Nazi sympathies who abdicated? Would that be Boromir, whose actions actually could have led to defeat? Who else would be the Mordor/Nazi sympathisers who were not uncommon in Britain before the war? Who would play Churchill's role of defiant conservative? Faramir? And what about those former colonies who came to the aid of Great Britain, as the little island didn't exactly stand alone--one of which was "rewarded" for its support and participation by having a beach all of its own to attack, Juno Beach, on D-Day.

And how would mad Denthor fit into the British situation of the time? Or would that be the king who abdicated rather than give up the woman he loved? Denethor's descent into depression, despair and madness began with his wife's death. Is there something here about men who care too much for their women? No, not really.

It is really important to look specifically at what Tolkien said about how a true comparison to WWII would look--it is not a very flattering portrayal of the Allies at all.

It would also be very easy to make comparisons between Mordor and Stalinist/communist Russia--both perpetrated unspeakable horrors on people who lived within their territories and both maintained prison camps for people and both persued networks of spies against their own citizens. Generalities can be compared easily but details are what makes a comparison really sustainable. jmho

Last edited by Bêthberry; 08-01-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: oh the horror, the horror! sp!!
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Eye Lets have a heated debate!

Hi all,

I find myself in good agreement with Bethberry's points (especially the first ). Where is the renowned Burra these days anyway?

Who indeed gets to be Stalin? These sort of major details do not match up well between LoTR and WWII. The overall sort of thing - defeat of an aggressive 'evil empire' does, but not if you dig much deeper.

I think that there must be an argument, however, for Tolkien's writing process being affected by current affairs. The jouney started in 1936, and many have commented oh the lighter, 'fairie' feel of the first chapters, if I remember 'It feels diferent near the Shire' was one such thread. By 1940, however, the story is getting darker, and 'greater' if you know what I mean. Certainly I think that living through the most terrible and dramatic events of the 20th century, both WWI and WWII, must have affected the tone and broad themes of the book. I am willing to be proved wrong!

Rather OT, but Juno should never be forgotten, my Dad was there with the Canadians that day.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I wouldn't go that far, FDR was cautious to keep America out of the war because the Americans wanted to stay out of it. Most likely America would have stayed out of the war in Europe entirely if it wasn't for Hitler declaring war on us.
But FDR did everything in his power to bring the US into the war. He pushed buttons so the US would be a attacked and he knew the Americans wouldn't stand for an attack. FDR was eventually going to war with Germany and FDR was going to ensure that. He just got lucky when Hitler declared war first. Though I do understand what you mean by cautious. When playing the political card and reelection he had no choice.

Quote:
Who indeed gets to be Stalin?
Who played both sides enough to warrant it? Saruman maybe, but only to the fact he switched sides. He certainly wasn't doing things for the same reason Stalin was.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #14
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
This thread seeks intelligent posters of the highest order.
Good luck, buddy.

Anyway.

I don't think you can say any of the events in the Lord of the Rings, or indeed any of Tolkien's work, is directly based on any events in the real world. Except perhaps Dinner. Dinner is a nice event that we don't take enough time with anymore.

That being said, the physical descriptions of Mordor are very clearly based on "no man's land" in WW1 which Tolkien experienced firsthand. So not Nazi Germany, and not politically any kind of Germany, but geographically related to German activities in some abstract way.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, Foreword to 'The Lord of the Rings'
As for any inner meaning or 'message', it has in the intention of the author none. It is neither allegorical nor topical...The crucial chapter, 'The Shadow of the Past', is one of the oldest parts of the tale. It was written long before the foreshadow of 1939 had yet become a threat of inevitable disaster, and from that point the story would have developed along essentially the same lines, if that disaster had been averted. Its sources are things long before in my mind, and little or nothing in it was modified by the war that began in 1939 or its sequels.
The War of the Ring does not emulate WWII in the least, per the author. If anything, the battle and horror in the story reflect Tolkien's recollections of WWI:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, Foreword to 'The Lord of the Rings'
One has indeed personally to come under the shadow of war to feel fully its oppression; but as the years go by it seems often forgotten that to be caught in youth by 1914 was no less hideous an experience than to be involved in 1939 and the following years. By 1918 all but one of my close friends were dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrahobbit
That being said, the physical descriptions of Mordor are very clearly based on "no man's land" in WW1 which Tolkien experienced firsthand. So not Nazi Germany, and not politically any kind of Germany, but geographically related to German activities in some abstract way.
Precisely, burrahobbit. The no-man's land of Mordor reflects Tolkien's memories of the barren no-man's land of the Somme, just as the Dead Marshes reflect the bloated, dead bodies of his comrades-in-arms floating in flooded bomb craters, and the valiant charge of the Rohirrim on Pelennor Field represents the last formidable cavalry charges of WWI (Tolkien being a cavalry man himself), before mechanized war and machine guns made cavalry obsolete.

But the political climate of Middle-earth does not reflect WWI Europe anymore than it does WWII. One could just as well equate Sauron to Kaiser Wilhelm's bloody imperialism and compare the Haradrim to the Turks, and the Hobbits as wild-eyed and innocent English boys naively marching towards the blood-strewn fields of Flanders. But one would be just as wrong.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #16
Mansun

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrahobbit View Post
Good luck, buddy.
I say rather that fate will bring intelligence to this thread. Karma existed in Middle Earth, so why not here also?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #17
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Perhaps this thread is not for you then, Formendacil. This thread seeks intelligent posters of the highest order.
Quote:
I say rather that fate will bring intelligence to this thread. Karma existed in Middle Earth, so why not here also?
Intelligence is all relative; in this case, relative to the replies and not to the original posit, which is faulty and incongruous with facts presented to the contrary.

I suggest you refrain from character judgements.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrahobbit View Post

That being said, the physical descriptions of Mordor are very clearly based on "no man's land" in WW1 which Tolkien experienced firsthand. .
There's also a very interesting verse in King Harald's Saga (part of Snorre's Heimskringla) :

Waltheof's Fighters
Bitten with weapons,
There lay dead
Deep in the Marshes,
So that the war-keen
Northmen could
Cross over there
On Corpses only.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Well, let's take this further to see what legs it can stand on.
And what of Japan?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #20
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
And what of Japan?
Or for that matter Italy? Mussolini was a tin-horn dictator and his armies never fared well (their battles in Ethiopia against Selasse were documented fiascos). Mussolini was never considered more than a demagogue and Hitler toadie, and the Italian army crumbled in Africa and Italy without much pressure and little success, so one really couldn't compare Benito with Saruman. Saruman's army was certainly effective (having won at the Battle of the Fords of Isen, for instance) and lost at Helm's Deep due to circumstances beyond their control, even though their battle strategy was sound (it was Saruman's lack of foresight that lost the day, not the army he sent out).
Old 08-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #21
Mansun

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Intelligence is all relative; in this case, relative to the replies and not to the original posit, which is faulty and incongruous with facts presented to the contrary.

I suggest you refrain from character judgements.
These comments are best suited for private messages, if at all. Please continue with the thread topic.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #22
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I'm with Formendacil here. It's very easy to accept that Tolkien was not writing about our world. You can see anything in The Lord of the Rings if you want to. It's just like Nietzsche and Adam Smith being 'claimed' by diametrically opposed thinkers. Tolkien's writing relates to stories and traditions far older than a 20th century dictator.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #23
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
I'm with Formendacil here. It's very easy to accept that Tolkien was not writing about our world. You can see anything in The Lord of the Rings if you want to. It's just like Nietzsche and Adam Smith being 'claimed' by diametrically opposed thinkers. Tolkien's writing relates to stories and traditions far older than a 20th century dictator.
I think that we're talking about the Rorschach inkblot test; though the truly creative can see all kinds of Balrog wings in the blots. On the other hand, it's hard to dismiss the influence of the environment on the mind.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #24
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Moderator's note

Quote:
These comments are best suited for private messages, if at all. Please continue with the thread topic.
This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The first character judgement was posted by you, publicly (post #9, which I would delete if I were not referencing it here); therefore I now remind you publicly to follow your own advice and refrain from personal comments.

The same applies to all other members posting here. The premise of the discussion may be flawed, but there is no reason to insult the other participants. Argue your points objectively, please, or refrain from posting if you cannot do so. Any further personal remarks will be deleted and continued insults will result in the closing of the thread.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #25
Mansun

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. The first character judgement was posted by you, publicly (post #9, which I would delete if I were not referencing it here); therefore I now remind you publicly to follow your own advice and refrain from personal comments.

The same applies to all other members posting here. The premise of the discussion may be flawed, but there is no reason to insult the other participants. Argue your points objectively, please, or refrain from posting if you cannot do so. Any further personal remarks will be deleted and continued insults will result in the closing of the thread.
Tolkein's world was indeed beautiful and elegant . . .
Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #26
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Karma existed in Middle Earth, so why not here also?
I had originally intended to leave this thread alone--though I have no grudge, I really don't have anything constructive to say that will in any way further an intelligent conversation about Tolkien and World War II--but if perhaps that particular topic is exhausted, I'd like to enquire about the above quote.

Personally, I'm inclined to give karma as much of a chance on the shooting range as I would allegory, but I'm also inclined to think, Mansun, that you wouldn't post that if you didn't have something in mind.

So I must ask... is there karma in Middle-earth? Obviously, not under that name... but still...

?
Old 08-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #27
Mansun

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post

So I must ask... is there karma in Middle-earth? Obviously, not under that name... but still...

?
Good things happen to ''good'' people through good actions and vice versa etc. I would think Karma has a place in Middle Earth on that front, though in the real world it does not materialise that often.

Last edited by Mansun; 08-14-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #28
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Eye Karma Chamaeleon

Hello all,

nice to see Burra striding the Downs as of old

Formendacil, I was thinking about Middle Earth Karma, and who should come up with a possibly relevant quote but good old Theoden

Quote:
oft evil will shall evil mar
Karm-ish if not strictly Karmic!

I'm still wondering about the WWII thing. Must say I'm with Burra on the allegoricalness. However, did the state of the War affect Tolkien's mood, and the 'vibe' of the book, while he was in the process of writing? Considering that he wrote nothing during the darkest days of 1940-41, can anyone further entertain the possibility?
Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #29
Mansun

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post

I'm still wondering about the WWII thing. Must say I'm with Burra on the allegoricalness. However, did the state of the War affect Tolkien's mood, and the 'vibe' of the book, while he was in the process of writing? Considering that he wrote nothing during the darkest days of 1940-41, can anyone further entertain the possibility?
Would the LOTR been the same if WWII never happened? Inspiration may have subconciously occurred within the grim context of war, and war itself was central to much of the events in the LOTR.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #30
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Good things happen to ''good'' people through good actions and vice versa etc. I would think Karma has a place in Middle Earth on that front, though in the real world it does not materialise that often.
Middle Earth is a different place, and you never know when the breath of Manwe or the dew of Ulmo will bring some karma your way. In real life, I would say that the idea is unproven, as we tend to see and remember some events more than others, which is why, on average, our pasts look just peachy as we selectively forget the nights when Tolkien in the net wasn't even a dream.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #31
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
Would the LOTR been the same if WWII never happened? Inspiration may have subconciously occurred within the grim context of war, and war itself was central to much of the events in the LOTR.
I find it hard to believe there wasn't some effect on his writing from the war, but at the same time whatever effect it might have had probably wasn't as big as one could expect.
As Morthoron posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien
The crucial chapter, 'The Shadow of the Past', is one of the oldest parts of the tale. It was written long before the foreshadow of 1939 had yet become a threat of inevitable disaster, and from that point the story would have developed along essentially the same lines, if that disaster had been averted. Its sources are things long before in my mind, and little or nothing in it was modified by the war that began in 1939 or its sequels.
Though WWII was a world changing event of the 1900's and its impact is still felt heavily today, WWII tends to get broken down into good vs. evil, light winning against darkness, (the evil Axis vs the vitreous Allies), and the ideas of good vs. evil are ones that go back to the first stories told word of mouth from parent to child. Tolkien's work can be compared to other world events that had just as profound effects. That doesn't mean that's where Tolkien found influence for his world. As I said before the joy of his work is the ability to allow the reader to find a connection to their own life, to other events in the world. Though it doesn't mean that's where Tolkien was coming from it doesn't make the reader wrong. Good literature is open to interpretation.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #32
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Aaron has just left Hobbiton.
I don't think that Mordor was necessarily inspired by the Nazi state. I don't really buy into the notion that Tolkien's work was inspired by Nazi Germany.
In any case, Mordor was driven by the will of Sauron alone. Whereas the Nazi's had a whole system of thought, they weren't brainless savages like the Orcs. No, the scary thing is that many Nazi's were well educated and yet still lowered themselves to such barbarism.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #33
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

It isn't that Mordor was "not necessarily" inspired by Germany, it's that it was "necessarily not" inspired by it. Explicitly, empiracally so.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #34
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Pipe Sauron a patriot?

burrahobbit is right.

And, as per the trend of Bethberry's inquest into details in the comparison of Mordor with Nazi Germany, I have one thought: was Sauron a patriot?

I might push more than a few buttons here, but Hitler was, perhaps only at the beginning, a patriot. Perhaps insanity and power drove it from his mind in the later years (1935-45), but following the collapse of Germany after WWI, Hitler was deeply moved by the plight of his fellow Germans, and it was his patriotism, not necessarily insanity, that began his struggle to bring Germany back into the "Successful Nations" list. I concede and agree that most of his actions were misguided, cruel, foolish, insane, diabolical, etc., but his beginning motives were rather noble.

Did Sauron have such motives? I think not...
Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #35
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
bilbo, your comparison of patriotic motives is not applicable on both counts. The word "patriot" denotes a loyalty to the country of one's father. Sauron was a Maia - for whom/which country would he have had patriotic feelings? And Hitler was born an Austrian; any patriotic feelings he might have had for Germany were opportunistic at best.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 AM   #36
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think the only aspect of LotR that you could argue was influenced directly by WWII was the creation of the Fell Beasts (good call, Rumil). I believe there is something in one of the letters about this, about how Tolkien was horrified by airborne warfare - and I understand he was not wholly happy about Christopher being an RAF man, either.

Mordor is certainly run on totalitarian lines, but totalitarianism is not limited to Hitler. It existed before him, it will exist after him.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #37
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Off topic comment here, but I can't let this stand as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo
but his beginning motives were rather noble.
Mein Kampf was written in 1924 already. His antisemitist and racist motives were laid open in it, as were his plans to go to war. His motives were never noble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo
Perhaps insanity and power drove it from his mind in the later years (1935-45), but following the collapse of Germany after WWI, Hitler was deeply moved by the plight of his fellow Germans, and it was his patriotism, not necessarily insanity, that began his struggle to bring Germany back into the "Successful Nations" list.
While it is true that he was deeply moved by Germany's defeat - as well as the following unfair peace treaty - it is not possible (at any time) to sever his patriotism from motives you would label insane, like the ones I mentioned above. He didn't "go insane" around 1935, but before 1935, he simply didn't have the means to realize those motives in a larger scale yet.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #38
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Thank you Estelyn, for pointing out Hitler's Austrian backgrounds. However my point was that Sauron couldn't be patriotic to Mordor, since he was a Maia, whereas, Hitler at least had some vague idea of a "greater German empire" to which he belonged... but he wasn't German, it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
Mein Kampf was written in 1924 already. His antisemitist and racist motives were laid open in it, as were his plans to go to war. His motives were never noble.
Dang it, there went my mouth again. I concede on the point that his racist ideas and anti-semitism went back as far as his patriotism, and that the two are inseparable.

But on the other hand, don't many people have radical (and ignorant) ideas about how to improve their country? As you have easily proven, his patriotism cannot be separated from his desire to kill Jews, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a patriot.

And Sauron as a patriot for Mordor is inconceivable - this difference between Sauron and Hitler was really the only point I wanted to make. My tangents were groundless...
Old 09-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #39
rorschach
Newly Deceased

rorschach has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Better Historical parallels than WWII?

Hi Folks

This is probably old hat to all old-time Tolkein fans, but I've never understood all the WWII allegory stuff. Tolkein was a professor of medieval languages, steeped in the history of Dark Age England. From that, can we identify a corresponding point in time in English history where LOTR 'takes place'?

I think that the whole ethos and historical sensibility of the book does point to one period in particular - the lowest point of Saxon fortunes during the Viking invasions in the late 9th century, specifically after the battle of Chippenham (878) where Alfred of Wessex was defeated and his army scattered.

Take or leave these 'parallels'

The Misty Mountains: North-South mountain chain = the Pennines
The White Mountains: East-West mountain chain to the south = The Wessex Downs (OK they've grown a bit in Tolkein's imagination)

The Elves: previous great civilisation now effectively banished to the far western fringes = The Roman-British (Celtic) civilisation defeated by the Anglo-Saxons and confined to Wales etc.
Rivendell/Lothlorien: Enclaves of Elvish civilisation surviving in or near the Misty Mountains. = Celtic Kingdom of Elmet in the West Riding of Yorkshire (OK gone by the time of Alfred but artistic licence here)

The Humans: formerly great kingdoms of men. Northern Kingdom (Arnor) previously pre-eminent, now destroyed = Kingdom of Northumbria, destroyed by the Danes
Southern Kingdom (Gondor) remaining in the south and west of Middle Earth, army fights mainly on foot = Wessex and the traditional Saxon shieldwall
Minas Tirith: Capital of Gondor at eastern end of White Mountains close to threat from Mordor = Winchester, capital of Wessex
Aragorn: King of Gondor but in exile and waiting to reassume power when the forces of Mordor are defeated = King Alfred himself, hiding in the Somerset levels until he can rally forces for the Battle of Ashdown.
The Rohirrim: The 'new humans', rather barbarian, who fight on horseback = The Normans with their mounted knights - an anachronism here but remember these parallels are not meant to be exact.

The humans (Gondor) are the 'good, white' civilisation in the sense of being Christian.

The Baddies: Dark destructive power based in the south and east, determined to destroy the power of Gondor and apparently invincible. = the Danish Vikings who've already destroyed Northumbria and look set to complete the job against Wessex. Utterly evil (i.e. pagan, non-Christian). Centre of power is Mordor =London (note the similarity of the words). Nothing changes, I'm from Yorkshire and I still think of London as the root of all evil. Colour is black = Vikings are commonly associated with this colour, from the black raven standard to the normal dress of Guthrum, the Viking commander at Chippenham.

Of course these are not all exact parallels, but the point is that this was the history that Tolkein knew and loved deeply, and his imagination was surely fired by the desperation and heroism of Alfred's Wessex, even if his greatest sympathy always remained with the Celts (the Elves).
All the modern charges of Racism against Tolkein rather miss the point if we regard his epic as being rooted firmly in the past, The fear and horror that the Vikings inspired in Saxon England is very well caught in LOTR, as is the sense of the end of all things and the potential death of christian civilisation. Saxons had very good reason to be racist against the Vikings, although after Alfred's victory the two races integrated rather well eventually, before the Normans finally turned up and wiped the floor with the true flower of English civilisation. It was a historical accident that WWII occured during the writing of LOTR, and I've always assumed that Tolkein would have written a very similar story even if he'd been born in the Victorian era, say. He always was a man out of tune with his times.

Just my opinion of course, but I'd be fascinated to know what others feel about this.
rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #40
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Those are much better comparisons. Places and people etc. started out much more "based on" things in Tolkien's earlier drafts/works, and I think you have at least a lot of that pretty spot on, so far as it goes.