The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #4081
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Good to have you back!

Good to have you back, Eldorion!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #4082
Rhun charioteer
Wight

Rhun charioteer has just left Hobbiton.
I'm not a "new" member per se but I haven't introduced myself.

I was first introduced Tolkien and LOTR through the cartoon movies in the seventies and then Jackson's movies and I read the books six years later.

Anyway Tolkien's legendarium has since I was introduced to it been a passion of mine and I have always wanted to read and learn more about the wonderful world Tolkien created.
Rhun charioteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #4083
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, welcome anyway, Rhun charioteer! You've already made some interesting contributions here.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #4084
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Welcome!

As Inziladun said, welcome to you anyway, Rhun charioteer! Please don't worry about the delay in introducing yourself. I lurked for a long time before I decided to join, let alone make any contributions...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #4085
Merrymatt
Pile O'Bones

Merrymatt has just left Hobbiton.
Greetings and Bienvenue Fellow Tolkien Fans
My name is Matthew Rascoe or Merrymatt by others, I’m an aspiring comic/film writer and Tolkien has been a major hero for my entire reading life.
Merrymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:06 PM   #4086
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Welcome on board, Merrymatt!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:21 AM   #4087
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome, Merrymatt! I see you found the RPG subforum already. I hope you enjoy the rest of the site as well.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #4088
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome, Merrymatt; I think you're the first actual new person to post on this thread since me, so doubly welcome!

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #4089
Merrymatt
Pile O'Bones

Merrymatt has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Welcome, Merrymatt! I see you found the RPG subforum already. I hope you enjoy the rest of the site as well.
I intend to spread my love of Tolkien throughout this forum
Merrymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #4090
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
i want to welcome the [currently] newest member of our forum, Lobelia's Umbrella. I don't know who you are but your screen name is beautiful.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:31 AM   #4091
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Indeed! A brilliant, hobbitty name. Welcome aboard, Lobelia's Umbrella.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 09-09-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #4092
Barandiun
Newly Deceased

Barandiun has just left Hobbiton.
Hi! My name is Tyler and I like hobbits. I'm TheGreatElvenWarrior's significant other.
Barandiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #4093
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hi Tyler! Welcome to the Downs! Hope to see you around the forums in the coming days.

Do you prefer to use Tyler or Barandiun?
Old 04-11-2020, 02:42 AM   #4094
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Well, it seems I've never introduced myself either, so I'd like to remedy that. I am Marie aka Urwen, oldest child of Hurin, tamer of geese and lover of Meglin.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #4095
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome aboard, Baranduin/Tyler!
Old 04-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #4096
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Hi Tyler! Welcome to the Downs! Hope to see you around the forums in the coming days.

Do you prefer to use Tyler or Barandiun?
G55, I just asked, and Baranduin is great!
Old 10-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #4097
Imladviel
Newly Deceased

Imladviel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Hello, hello, hello!

It's been a while...

I used to be a regular here in 2003ish... my username back then was Niphredil Baggins. I can't log in to that account because I made it with my university email. Not being an university student anymore (no, I didn't graduate, I dropped out), I don't have access to it.

I don't think anyone remembers me, and it might be better to make a new start anyways, as I have changed much from that constantly drunk chaotic half-hobbit persona I adopted.

I'm honestly surprised this place is still here!
Imladviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #4098
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imladviel View Post
I used to be a regular here in 2003ish... my username back then was Niphredil Baggins. I can't log in to that account because I made it with my university email. Not being an university student anymore (no, I didn't graduate, I dropped out), I don't have access to it.

I don't think anyone remembers me, and it might be better to make a new start anyways, as I have changed much from that constantly drunk chaotic half-hobbit persona I adopted.
Welcome back! I remember seeing you here and there, but that was during my own 'sabbatical'; I didn't really get back to regular visiting until 2008.

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised this place is still here!
It amazes me also. When I look back on where I was when I joined, and how much in RL has changed, that this place is still around is a great comfort to me.

Hope to see you more!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:04 AM   #4099
Imladviel
Newly Deceased

Thanks, Inziladun!

I realized I didn't actually tell anything about myself. I am almost 39 years old, I am owned by one cat, I live alone and am unemployed. I have also recently become an aunt!

I am in the risk groups for corona because of an illness, so I have decided to isolate myself as much as possible. This means I am at home a lot and getting bored, which is why I had the idea to see if this old haunt was still here.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #4100
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I realized I didn't actually tell anything about myself. I am almost 39 years old, I am owned by one cat, I live alone and am unemployed. I have also recently become an aunt!
Congratulations on you Aunt status!

Quote:
I am in the risk groups for corona because of an illness, so I have decided to isolate myself as much as possible. This means I am at home a lot and getting bored, which is why I had the idea to see if this old haunt was still here.
Well, there's certainly a lot here to peruse. Just after the Covid onset there was an uptick of activity. I'm anticipating more when the Amazon LOTR series emerges.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #4101
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome back, Imladviel! Once a Downer, always a Downer? I am too recently dead to have met you before, but looking forward to seeing you around!

Now that I think of it, I have been dead 10 years this month. 10 years, and it is still too recent. Also, several more years and I will have been on the Downs for longer than I lived without it. I am having a mid-death crisis, maybe.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:17 PM   #4102
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I have also recently become an aunt!
For some reason I read this as "I recently became an adult" and was very confused. I even reread it multiple times...

Anyways, welcome/welcome back!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #4103
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Now that I think of it, I have been dead 10 years this month. 10 years, and it is still too recent. Also, several more years and I will have been on the Downs for longer than I lived without it. I am having a mid-death crisis, maybe.
OMG me too! I was 13 when I first found the Downes, but I didn't make an account until I was 14. Now I'm 24... geeze time flies!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #4104
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
OMG me too! I was 13 when I first found the Downes, but I didn't make an account until I was 14. Now I'm 24... geeze time flies!
Same here, down to the years! Except I made an account within the hour of finding the Downs at the tail end of 13 - never thinking I would need it for more than one post.

Hey! Let's celebrate the double digits this weekend. Throw a Downer skype party or something. Do a bit of favourite passage reading, play online 20 questions, tell Tolkien jokes. Downers used to do skype reads, maybe we can revive the tradition.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #4105
Imladviel
Newly Deceased

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Congratulations on you Aunt status!
Thank you!

Quote:
Welcome back, Imladviel! Once a Downer, always a Downer? I am too recently dead to have met you before, but looking forward to seeing you around!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
For some reason I read this as "I recently became an adult" and was very confused. I even reread it multiple times...

Anyways, welcome/welcome back!
I'm never going to be an adult. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2020, 09:58 PM   #4106
araxhiel
Newly Deceased

araxhiel has just left Hobbiton.
Hi all!

My name is Anton, and although I was aware of this forum, I never registered before (yeah, procrastination is kinda strong).

I knew about TLotR since I was a kid, as where we used to rent movies they had a copy of the 1978 animated movie (but my mom never choose that to take home LOL). A decade later, Peter Jackson's movies happened, and that was my first real approach to Tolkien's work.

Unfortunately, the only book that I've read of this series was the Silmarillion (around 2003) and being honest, I had the intention to read the other books, but never read them (procrastination strikes again...).

This next year I'll try to correct that, as I have decided to read all the books (and that's also a personal goal for next year)... Although I'm kinda nervous, as I'm attempting to read them in English, instead a translated version (The Silmarillion that I read back then was a translated version).

P.S. Sorry for my grammar mistakes, even after all these years I still have a long feud with grammar/verbs.
araxhiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:51 AM   #4107
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by araxhiel View Post
Hi all!
Welcome, araxhiel!

Quote:
Unfortunately, the only book that I've read of this series was the Silmarillion (around 2003) and being honest, I had the intention to read the other books, but never read them (procrastination strikes again...).

This next year I'll try to correct that, as I have decided to read all the books (and that's also a personal goal for next year)... Although I'm kinda nervous, as I'm attempting to read them in English, instead a translated version (The Silmarillion that I read back then was a translated version).
Well, as a native English speaker I can tell you that The Silmarillion is usually considered rather difficult for the average reader; LOTR (and especially The Hobbit) are considerably easier. Maybe, then, you've already done the hard part!

Quote:
P.S. Sorry for my grammar mistakes, even after all these years I still have a long feud with grammar/verbs.
Your post is entirely understandable, and that's what matters.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #4108
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hello Araxhiel!

It's exciting to have new people join! Welcome to the Downs!

And join the Translated Tolkien club! I knew Tolkien exclusively in Russian for years before I ever read the English copy of the books. I find that I relate to them differently, they have a different feel. I tend to prefer The Sil, The Hobbit, Children of Hurin and the other smaller works in the original English, but have a very soft spot for the Muravyov-Kistyakovsky translation of LOTR. It's actually been years since I read LOTR in English, and was planning to do a cover-to-cover of that at some point. I think my point is, translations count too! And are equally fun to discuss, when you get a few people with bilingual Tolkien experience together.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #4109
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hi, I have recently been adopted by very much non identical twin kittens. They don’t have Tolkien names unfortunately as I work with their mother’s person and got too used to their original names.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #4110
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
*whew*

Far from new but it feels like a fresh start -- I could not remember my password for the Downs and could not find it saved on either of my computers! For several days I was entirely locked from my account, before finally finding my login information on my old phone.

So, that was close.

*re-engage lurk mode*
Old 12-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #4111
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
Far from new but it feels like a fresh start -- I could not remember my password for the Downs and could not find it saved on either of my computers! For several days I was entirely locked from my account, before finally finding my login information on my old phone.

So, that was close.

*re-engage lurk mode*
What a harrowing near death experience.

Welcome back amongst the dead!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #4112
hamidradami
Newly Deceased

hamidradami has just left Hobbiton.
Hi everyone my name is hamid radami, I'm an absolute fan of Middle earth world, I remembered when I was 14 I watched 3 the Lord of the Rings movies then I bought The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth and playing a lot after that I realized The Silmarillion book, what a masterpiece, right now I'm playing another Lord of the Rings game(Divide and Conquer mod for Medieval II) It's a strategy game, so you can raise an army and attack the other factions in middle earth when I searched about the Morgoth I found your community, so I decided to register, my other hobbies are watching anime and movies, so I hope we have a great time with each other here.
Sorry if I have any mistake in my grammar, English is my second language.
hamidradami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #4113
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome aboard, Hamid!
Old 12-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #4114
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hi Hamid! Welcome to the Downs!
Old 03-26-2021, 12:05 AM   #4115
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Soriman the Whide has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Soriman the Whide
2021 new user coming through. This place is dead right?
Soriman the Whide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:41 AM   #4116
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soriman the Whide View Post
2021 new user coming through. This place is dead right?
Hi Soriman, welcome to the Downs! Naturally the place is dead - I myself am a ghostly Prince of Cardolan (apparently).

Cold be hand and heart and bone,
and cold be sleep under stone:
never more to wake on stony bed,
never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #4117
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Welcome Soriman. Define "dead" please and enjoy your stay here.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #4118
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Soriman the Whide has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Soriman the Whide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
Welcome Soriman. Define "dead"
Seems as though an ent might keep pace here.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:58 AM   #4119
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soriman the Whide View Post
Seems as though an ent might keep pace here.
I've been describing myself as a "treeish" user for something like eight/nine years, so at this point the Ents might be the active ones in this particular Fangorn...

But welcome to these shady woods all the same. I am enjoying your username if only because, in the wake of reading Tolkien's Chaucer, it's making me think that it would be an excellent and not implausible alterative Middle English spelling for our favourite master of Isengard.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #4120
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, Soriman! I think this place is suitable for Ents and Huorns and trees and merry hobbits alike, even hasty wizards have their place. Take your pick and enjoy!