The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #121
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas.
well that's funny isn't it, you do just learn something new every day don't you, I mean I thought Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Raaaaaaarhrkghchrghdeath.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #122
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
Quote:
Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas.
well that's funny isn't it, you do just learn something new every day don't you, I mean I thought Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Raaaaaaarhrkghchrghdeath.
Do you really think that Orlegolando Bloomleaf is the proper Legolas? He was quite a character on his own, without any help from the Professor, except for the name.

What the Leggy-bopper's quote should have said is that Bloom took Legolas, took him apart, and built his own Lego with the pieces.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #123
TheMisfortuneTeller
Haunting Spirit

TheMisfortuneTeller has just left Hobbiton.
Fathers and Sons

With his elvish gift of foresight, Legolas tells the Dwarf Gloin, "Father of Gimli, you might not believe this, but in the sequel to this tale I fall in love with your son."
Old 05-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #124
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
Quote:
Well, you have to admit it was quite amazing the amount of pathos they got from a mannequin. There was one part where I swear it almost cried real tears!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #125
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Well, you have to admit it was quite amazing the amount of pathos they got from a mannequin. There was one part where I swear it almost cried real tears!
Those tears were just water. They forgot to add salt.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #126
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
No actor for Bard and Orlando Bloom returning... does anybody else smell a conspiracy?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #127
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
No actor for Bard and Orlando Bloom returning... does anybody else smell a conspiracy?
I wasn't sure about a conspiracy until I heard the title of the new movie: Hobbits of the Caribbean.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #128
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
I had a "Tiny tears" doll that did that when I was child... it wasn't high tech.

Ang - I fully expect either Dame Helen, Dame Maggie or Dame Judi to be cast as Lobelia..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #129
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Well, as was already mentioned earlier (I believe) on this thread, Bard only appears in the second halfof the story. And who will watch a movie without Orlando Bloom in it?

This is really sad.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #130
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Judi Dench as Lobelia
Daniel Craig as Lotho.

Of course, neither are in The Hobbit but will that
stop PJ? Not hardly.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #131
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
"The Hobbit" films get titles and release dates

Yahoo reports "The Hobbit" films get titles and release dates.

Quote:
The first of the two films, which are currently being filmed back-to-back in New Zealand, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," arrives in theaters on December 14, 2012.

The sequel, opening December 13, 2013, will be known as "The Hobbit: There and Back Again." Both will be released through Warner Bros...

The sprawling cast includes a number of other "Rings" veterans: Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey; Cate Blanchett as Galadriel; Orlando Bloom as Legolas; Christopher Lee as Saruman; Hugo Weaving as Elrond; Elijah Wood as Frodo; and Andy Serkis as Gollum.
Not quite sure they are precisely following the canon plot...
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #132
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantyr View Post
Not quite sure they are precisely following the canon plot...
They aren't.

It's possible that they want to add a scene of the White Counsil banishing the Necromancer, which would explain Galadriel and Saruman. And nothing related to the LOTR movies can do without LegoBloom . But Frodo?

I'm kind of afraid to watch the movie...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #133
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Judi Dench as Lobelia
Daniel Craig as Lotho.

stop PJ? Not hardly.
Ye-es... but having a Sackville-Baggins or two appear at the beginning and/or end would actually be okay, particularly if they keep the original ending– it's just the "show, don't tell" principle at work. So if they're going to do that (I haven't heard anything about it, though) it really wouldn't bother me. Similarly, you could legitimately show the White Council bit, at least briefly.

It's the rest of it– what they're trying to make, it seems, is not so much The Hobbit as it is Lord of the Rings: Part 0. Perhaps this was inevitable, after the success of the trilogy, but it's a pretty tall order when the book they're trying to adapt is only quite loosely connected to its sequel.

Last edited by Nerwen; 05-31-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Added comment.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #134
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
It's the rest of it– what they're trying to make, it seems, is not so much The Hobbit as it is Lord of the Rings: Part 0. Perhaps this was inevitable, after the success of the trilogy, but it's a pretty tall order when the book they're trying to adapt is only quite loosely connected to its sequel.
At least they didn't try filming The Sil!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #135
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
but it's a pretty tall order when the book they're trying to adapt is only quite loosely connected to its sequel.
I fear that will be the excuse we will hear over and over again to justify all the changes they make to the story.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #136
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Quote:
but it's a pretty tall order when the book they're trying to adapt is only quite loosely connected to its sequel.
I fear that will be the excuse we will hear over and over again to justify all the changes they make to the story.
You'd think the Ring would be rather an unmistakable connection between the stories. At least, it seems to be adequate for readers of the books.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #137
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Elijah Wood as Frodo
!

Considering that they already made Frodo much younger in LotR, how could they possibly put him (as an adult, no less - unless they have the medical technology to make Wood rapidly age backwards) in The Hobbit? Wouldn't that make Bilbo's adventure happen just a few years before LotR?

White Council nonsense I was expecting, but putting Frodo in it doesn't seem to make sense even in Peter Jackson Land.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #138
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Galadriel, Aiwendil - they plan to have Frodo as the narrator, so it's not worse than that.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #139
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Judi Dench as Lobelia
Daniel Craig as Lotho.

stop PJ? Not hardly.
Having located my copy of the Hobbit - The Sackville Bagginses are measuring the rooms to see if their furniture will fit at the end... so they are there albeit for a sentence or two...

Old 06-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #140
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quite true about the S-B's at the end of The Hobbit.
But frankly, Judi Dench would make a more believable
Lobelia then the over the top harridan in the FotR movie
extended dvd.
And I like the idea of her bossing around Daniel Craig as her
son (after all, he probably has a license to foreclose on homes).

Bilbo finds a hobbit measuring his rooms.
"What are you doing? Who are you?"
Sackville-Baggins, LOTHO Sackville-Baggins!"
(cue scary music)
---Well, maybe not.---

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 06-01-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #141
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Bilbo finds a hobbit measuring his rooms.
"What are you doing? Who are you?"
Sackville-Baggins, LOTHO Sackville-Baggins!"
(cue scary music)
---Well, maybe not.---
The nickname Lotho Pimple might have to go then... that is more Bond villain

Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #142
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlomien
they plan to have Frodo as the narrator, so it's not worse than that.
Ah, that makes sense. I will revert to my previous, slightly less inflated, level of skepticism about the films.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #143
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
You'd think the Ring would be rather an unmistakable connection between the stories. At least, it seems to be adequate for readers of the books.
There's a ring?

I'm just remembering back to the days of Prince Caspian where literally the excuse for trashing the book was "the book doesn't make a very good film."

So if The Hobbit doesn't make a very good film...lets make it into two films and make it up as we go along.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #144
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
So if The Hobbit doesn't make a very good film...lets make it into two films and make it up as we go along.
Doing that with LOTR and three films seems to have paid off well for PJ.

If that's indeed his model, I think we'll be getting off lucky not to see:

1. Bilbo falling in love with a female eagle
2. Bilbo getting captured by Beorn, who tries to take him and the Ring to Smaug
3. Armies of Gondor and Rohan heroically saving the day at the Battle of Five Armies
and
4. Galadriel mysteriously appearing in Mirkwood to help Bilbo, telling him "Even the smallest person can ....well, you know the rest."
Old 06-02-2011, 04:17 AM   #145
TheMisfortuneTeller
Haunting Spirit

TheMisfortuneTeller has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
There's a ring?

The Hobbit would make a decent enough film. It just wouldn't make as much money as TWO Hobbit films strung out over two successive years.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #146
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
1. Bilbo falling in love with a female eagle
Oooo...kinky!

Quote:
2. Bilbo getting captured by Beorn, who tries to take him and the Ring to Smaug
I'm expecting to see this.

Quote:
3. Armies of Gondor and Rohan heroically saving the day at the Battle of Five Armies
I am *definitely* expecting to see this...led by Faramir and Eowyn (respectively).

Quote:
4. Galadriel mysteriously appearing in Mirkwood to help Bilbo, telling him "Even the smallest person can ....well, you know the rest."
In the interest of gender equality I think Galadriel will have to join Thorin and Company along with Gwaihirina and whatsherfacewhosenamestartswithanI. I mean, they cut all those dwarves which creates a lot of space for "better" characters to take their place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMisfortuneTeller
The Hobbit would make a decent enough film. It just wouldn't make as much money as TWO Hobbit films strung out over two successive years.
I'm pretty sure from their general attitude the brilliant minds behind this production don't think The Hobbit makes a very good movie.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #147
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I am *definitely* expecting to see this...led by Faramir and Eowyn (respectively).
No, by Eomer, who leads the troops against Theoden's will for no reason whatsoever, just to discover that he is needed on the Battlefield.

Quote:
In the interest of gender equality I think Galadriel will have to join Thorin and Company along with Gwaihirina and whatsherfacewhosenamestartswithanI. I mean, they cut all those dwarves which creates a lot of space for "better" characters to take their place.
Itaril?

I want to add to the list:

5. Thorin falling in love with Mrs. Smaug
6. Bilbo wielding the Arkenstone against the Spider of Mirkwood
7. Itaril teaching Legolas all the tricks he'll show in LOTR
8. An army of wizards flying on Eagles
9. Ents of Mirkwood
10. A Nazgul leading the Orcs in battle.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #148
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMisfortuneTeller View Post
Sad but true. As much as any film of a Tolkien book made by PJ could be decent.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #149
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
No, by Eomer, who leads the troops against Theoden's will for no reason whatsoever, just to discover that he is needed on the Battlefield.
Gah!!! Non-female character...rejected.

Quote:
Itaril?
Yes, that's the face, but I will continue to refer to her as whatsherfacewhosenamestartswithanI.

Quote:
5. Thorin falling in love with Mrs. Smaug
6. Bilbo wielding the Arkenstone against the Spider of Mirkwood
7. Itaril teaching Legolas all the tricks he'll show in LOTR
8. An army of wizards flying on Eagles
9. Ents of Mirkwood
10. A Nazgul leading the Orcs in battle.
These are all brilliant! I shall have them forwarded to the script department at once!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #150
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Gah!!! Non-female character...rejected.
Then Faramir should be rejected too. Instead, his mother Finduilas should go.

OR, he should have a sister who dies in the Battle of 5 Armies...

Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #151
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
It wouldn't exactly blow my mind if #7 really does appear in it. And maybe #10 as well.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #152
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

ROFL!!!!

I just got done arguing with some fanboy over at the OneRing.net forums, and what I stated mirrors much of what's been said here lately. Here's my take:

Quote:
...But turning a story that has been beloved by children and adults since 1937 into some 3D fan-fiction parody that loses all its endearing charm would be the real tragedy.

I've already seen what PJ can do with a script, and I am not enamored in the least. The weakest points of the LotR movies were when he played fast and "loose", but when he stayed closer to the original plot, it was magic. Even when he gave dialogue to one character that was originally said by another, it was very gratifying, and at points very moving and elegiac.

No, I don't care to see Beorn enslaved by the lure of the One Ring and dragging Bilbo off to Dol Guldur, only to have a change of heart at the last minute.

No, I am uninterested in seeing an army of Rohirrim arrive at Erebor in the nick of time.

No, I don't wish to see a 15 minute sequence of Bard falling off a cliff and then french kissing his horse.

No, I don't want to hear Elrond whine that "Celebrian is dying".

No, I am against Itaril teaching Legolas to shield surf.

No, I don't want Bilbo to tell Balin to go home.

No, I don't want a maniacal Thranduil slobbering over a piece of chicken while making Bilbo sing.

And no, I don't want a wave of green scrubbing bubbles to take out Smaug at Laketown.

Am I in the minority? Perhaps. But there is nowhere else I'd rather be. Certainly not in the "majority" if that is where you reside. The Hobbit and LotR are two completely different books for two separate audiences. Make the movie ugly and violent enough, and you'll drive away the very audience it was written for.

Strip the story of its elegant simplicity and linear quality by adding a fan-fic rendition of the White Council (which Tolkien didn't even waste words on), and you eliminate the qualities of the book. Smaug and the greed Smaug engendered are the antagonists of the story, not the Necromancer. Throw in a bewildering array of nonessential characters and lose the heart of the tale.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #153
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Then Faramir should be rejected too. Instead, his mother Finduilas should go.

OR, he should have a sister who dies in the Battle of 5 Armies...

No, we have to have some beefcake in there to make the gurls happy.

Speaking of which...I have the perfect person in mind to play Bard.

(Yes, I know I am evil.)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #154
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
No, we have to have some beefcake in there to make the gurls happy.

Speaking of which...I have the perfect person in mind to play Bard.

(Yes, I know I am evil.)
Aiee! Even though you warned us beforehand, that's just TOO BAD. I wanted to ask if he isn't too young though but then remembered that with PJ anything is possible...
Old 06-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #155
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

So you're saying PJ will have the Laketown werewolves
battle the Smaug vampires as part of the Battle of
Seven Armies while Legolas tutors Bard on how to shoot
arrows as Leggy's laketown girlfriend is slain by Smaug?
Brilliant! That's a wrap.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #156
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
I'm all for this bit of it at any rate!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #157
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
So you're saying PJ will have the Laketown werewolves
battle the Smaug vampires as part of the Battle of
Seven Armies while Legolas tutors Bard on how to shoot
Brilliant! That's a wrap.
Surely you can fit a balrog or two in there? And more trolls..

And cameos for Stanley Tucci and Kate Witless.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-04-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #158
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Surely you can fit a balrog or two in there?
It's kind of about dragons , but will that matter to PJ?

Quote:
And more trolls..
So 3 isn't enough, even though they are about to eat 13 Dwarves and one hobbit alive? There has to be some troll in the Misty Mtns, otherwise the story isn't good. And Bibo will slip right under it's nose to get away from the place.

At least one thing is certain: there will be orcs, and not those green-slimy-long-eared-goblins-who-look-more-like-Dobeys.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-04-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #159
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
It's kind of about dragons , but will that matter to PJ?
No.

Quote:
Ahhh...judging from the branches sprouting out of his head it is the reclusive tree-orc!! I haven't seen one in years!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #160
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Ahhh...judging from the branches sprouting out of his head it is the reclusive tree-orc!!
That's where the Ents come in! They will be hoding a moot all the way through the Battle, and by the time they finish Thorin would be dead etc.

So many brilliant *cough cough* ideas! Just takes a little to get them flowing!