The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:41 AM   #41
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Good Ole Downe

at your service

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #42
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
What about the latest post thing...you know it shows the latest topic thats been posted in in every forum...where are they? will they ever come back I've always liked seeing whats been posted lasted.
The latest posts on all topics will not show up until they have been posted on with this new software. The old threads and posts have been transferred, but the forum does not read them for latest posts not made through its own software. You'll note that the most recent of posts do show up like that - the top few topics of each forum.

The old forum can be found (for a limited time, I'd say), here .
Old 02-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #43
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I miss the evil smiley and the new smile is strange. If it is not too much trouble could you please put back the old smile when you have the time.

However I agree this is much faster. I still have some stuff to figure out though.

What about the titles by the way. Will those comeback.
The whole Pile of Bones, animated skeleton, etc.

I was just reaching the 200 posts and now I am back to 114!
AWWW! Oh well, it means I will have to visit more often so I can catch up.

Last edited by Lathriel; 02-10-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:35 AM   #44
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The old location is : http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

First Name/Last Name.... I guess you go by your nick now, as always. There is a biography field in your profile if you want to share personal info.

TODAY'S ACTIVE TOPICS is at the top right of the front page.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:39 AM   #45
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

If you are getting e-mails about replies to a thread, and you don't want those e-mails, check in your USER CP. There is a list of threads you are subscribed to. You can unsubscribe from those you kn longer want notification from.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:52 AM   #46
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield Re: PM limit and Clock time

Mr. Underhill has removed the size limit on PMs and corrected the one hour time errror on the clock. Your local time zone should now correctly identify the difference from GMT.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #47
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
It was quite a shock when I came on the site and saw the changes, but everything seems to be okay with it. Apart from I have about 40 missing posts. Thats probably the Movie forum going though. It seems alot faster to.

One question about the name titles. Will you be keeping the old ones, like Ghost prince of Cardolan, or will you be making up mre ones?
Old 02-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #48
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Four questions:

1. Do we still have a limit of 10 on private messages? I am assuming there is a limit, since one of my pms sent to a moderator was thrown back to me saying that the mailbox was full.

2. If there is a limit, how is it configured? Are all pms --inbox, files, and sent-- added together so this number must come under the limit of 10?

3. I have received two inquiries from posters who have pms in their mailboxes that belong to someone else. Am I correct in telling them simply to delete these?

4. B-W, spell check would be very welcome. I was not able to find that yet. How do you access it? It is probably staring me in the face!

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 02-10-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #49
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
I like all of the new options in the User CP. Super cool stuff. One thing though... Is there some way we can size down a picture so that it can be 64x64 pixels and be the avatar? Oh yeah I lost 235 posts in the switch. What happened to the member's ratings with the little bones? On that note, I like the Idea of thread ratings, but they don't seem to be showing up. Is there some way you could get the Who's Online to be in Last Click order rather than alphabetical? Hmmm I really like the posts per day in the people's profile... interesting info.

Last edited by Lindolirian; 02-10-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:38 PM   #50
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm scared and confused but I'm sure I'll get used to things eventually. I'm just posting to see how small my already miniscule post count is now.

Gah, my post count has been halved! Ah well, I suppose it's a fair price to pay for the amazingly increased speed or the forum....
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."

Last edited by Galadrie1; 02-10-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:57 PM   #51
trolls' bane

Tolkien HELP

Something really weird is happening to my account.
I'm Maédhros of the Rev Sil Project. With this new change of software to vbulletin I have been unable to log on.
The email address that I had on my profile was outdated and when I tried changing it, I received a new password, unfortunately it doesn't work either.

Today, when I tried to log on with my username of Maédhros, the board told me that I was registered as troll's bane.
Hoping that either Mr Underhill or the Barrow-Wight can help me in this.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:01 PM   #52
trolls' bane

Okay, I'm Alaklondewen, and I did the same thing as Maedhros. I followed the link for the password and now I'm Trolls' Bane too and I can't log out.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:02 PM   #53
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Palantir-Green

Dooood. This is neat, but I miss my personal title. And the pretty rings next to the thread listings. But I really only care about getting my title back. The rings are just a way of distracting you from how selfish I am.

Neat new look, otherwise.

Variety is the spice of life.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:00 PM   #54
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Quote:
Gah, my post count has been halved! Ah well, I suppose it's a fair price to pay for the amazingly increased speed or the forum....
vBulletin only counts the posts made that have stayed on the forum. UBB counted posts on deleted threads even after they were deleted. This, along with the absent Movie forum threads, accounts for the majority of post number loss. Seems fitting to remind everyone that post count is not important (as a false emphasis seems to be placed on it). The important thing here is to participate in fun, intelligent discussion.

Quote:
This is neat, but I miss my personal title.
I imagine Lush made this post before her personal title was restored, but anyway, the missing personal titles last night and this morning should be reset today (if not, in the next few days). vBulletin, like UBB, can automatically assign the generic titles based on post count, but personal titles (as always) have to be typed in manually - every single one of them, one by one.

alaklondewen - did you use your publicly displayed name, or your old login name from the other software?

Everyone needs to login in with their publicly displayed name. The login name you used to login to the other software is now useless - the publicly displayed name and login name for the new setup are one and the same.

Last edited by Legolas; 02-10-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #55
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
*sighs*

So I gather those of us who lost posts will have to work our way back up?

Yeesh - I was looking forward to getting my title when I reached 500 and here I am at 134 when I was at 380 something!

*sighs*

The injustice of it all - I may just choose another screen name!

Last edited by Arathiriel; 02-10-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #56
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Reread my post - post count isn't important. If you're intent on actually using the Barrow-Downs forum for it's real purpose, your "lost posts" will be replenished in a relatively short amount of time.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #57
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril ummm

I don't posts a lot at the BD - not as much as some of you do and it took me nearly 2 years of posting to accumulate all the ones I had so I am a little perturbed at losing my posts total....

Sorry but it will take me another 2 yearly to get back what I had so I am just considering starting over completel as I have never been thrilled with my screen name anyways!

*sighs*
Old 02-10-2004, 06:36 PM   #58
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Wow this is weird. (In a good way) It really does load alot faster though. I really like that Calander thing. I'm posting to figure out how many posts I have now. (probably not many. I read more than post.)

Ahhh! I defintely had more than this. Oh well.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Old 02-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #59
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
hmm

Quote:
MOVIES – The Movies forum is empty. This was at first not intentional, but we came to see the absence of The Movie topics as a blessing in disguise. Now that the movies are all release, we can start over and begin a even more organized discussion of them.
I disagree with this but, hey I guess my opinion probably doesn't matter. I think it is unfair to just dump everything that was on that forum...

And I know I shouldn't be, but I am upset about the loss of about 70 of my posts... though this new site is admittedly a lot better I think restoring the movies forum is only fair... maybe the administration didn't like all of the topics and discussions there but that doesn't make them less important.

Last edited by Cinderella; 02-10-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:56 PM   #60
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Because The Barrow-Downs is a site and forum dedicated to the books of J.R.R. Tolkien, topics about the movies are less important, but they are not unimportant. That's why we have kept THE MOVIES forum and will encourage people to enjoy talking about the films.

A reminder: 500 posts does not equal a Personal Title. It is an approximate minimum that we look at, but those posts are supposed to be good discussions posts. On occasion, we have even given Personal Titles to people with less than 500 posts, but only to those who contributed greatly to the topics here. Overall, the Personal Titles, though neat to have, are much less important than the actual discussion we have here. Talk Tolkien, contribute intelligently, and your post counts will not only be high in quantity, but also in quality.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:57 PM   #61
Sam's Amy

Well I created a new screen name, one that suites me better - this will be the one I use from now on as I begin to rebuild my ID at the BD

Old 02-10-2004, 07:03 PM   #62
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dűm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Well here goes my first post on the brand new look for our beloved Barrowdowns! *squee*

Overall, I think the changes are pretty cool. The new options are nice. I've probably lost quite a few posts to Movies forum but that's fine because I figure it makes up for all the annoying nonsense posts that I made when I was a newbie.

My avatar doesn't work, though:

Quote:
Avatar Size Avatars have always been limited to 64x64, so nothing has changed.
But my avatar worked on the UBB site but now it tells me the same exact one is too big.

The only other nitpicky little bother I have is that it tells who posted last in each forum, but not the actual post that was last posted on. That's easy to get used to, though. On the whole, three cheers for BW and all the mods!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:07 PM   #63
Cinderella
Wight

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally posted by The Barrow-Wight
Because The Barrow-Downs is a site and forum dedicated to the books of J.R.R. Tolkien, topics about the movies are less important, but they are not unimportant. That's why we have kept THE MOVIES forum and will encourage people to enjoy talking about the films.
That is fair, and understandable, but I still think that the movies forum should be restored, not simply to help my post count but because I believe that even though the movies are not as important as the books, the movies forum is important to some people, especially myself. The books forum is very intimidating, but the movies forum is exactly the opposite, and even though it isn't being taken away, I feel that it is unfair to simply clear out a whole forum just because it wasn't necessarily filled with loads of stimulating posts and was more full of general discussion that anyone on this forum could participate in. There was plenty of meaningful discussion in all those topics that are now gone, even though they weren't simply literature based. I don't think it is right to just delete all those threads, cleaning them out I could understand, but wiping the slate completely clean seems ridiculous to me.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:31 PM   #64
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Quote:
But my avatar worked on the UBB site but now it tells me the same exact one is too big.
UBB automatically resized the image to 64 x 64 no matter what it's original dimensions were. vBulletin (apparently) requires the image to be 64 x 64 originally - it does no resizing, in other words. You can do this with most any graphics program. You'll need to resize and reupload it to the webspace you're using. If you need help resizing, I can do that.

Last edited by Legolas; 02-10-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:35 PM   #65
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
If you need help resizing, I can do that.
Legolas, you are indeed a fine fellow. Could you help me out with this one? http://www.barrowdowns.com/images/re...gentElrond.jpg
Old 02-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #66
Sam's Amy

Silmaril

Forgive me if I sound clueless here but how does one upload a custom avatar?

I have never been able to make this feature work...

Thank you!

Old 02-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #67
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Finding out after two days of moving the forum that THE BOOKS did not make it is devastating (this did not happen... phew).

Finding out after two days of moving the forum that THE MOVIES accidently did not make it is regrettable (this did happen ).

Going back and doing it all again just to get THE MOVIES back would be ridiculous (and would cause me to go blind ).

Really, since those Movie topics were so good the first time, I'm sure they'll be just as great the second time around.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #68
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dűm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Tolkien

Well, over all I think this new change will work out nicely. I regret the loss of the movies section as we had it on UBB, but that will be mended over time, I suppose. Although, when I first got to the forum I was somehow 'stuck' in the account of 'Pallando the Blue' until I logged out and logged back in under my rightful screen name...was that supposed to happen?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:34 PM   #69
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

No, that wasn't supposed to happen. We've had a few weird events like that, but as long as it ends up good, I guess we'll survive
Old 02-10-2004, 08:50 PM   #70
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Learning the New Way...

I must say that, after a few times around of clicking everywhere but the right links and being slightly intimidated by ALL the choices and differences, I am now quite enjoying this place! Thanks for fixing the clock, too! Personally, I'm a bit relieved to have a clean slate for the movies. It means a different inherent structure and less messy wading through all the "what will you do when this film comes out" posts or speculations, although speculations can be fun to read, especially in retrospect. I would HATE to have lost the Books forum, though! There are endless layers of treasure there, many still waiting to be mined by each new delver in the deep (to borrow a PT phrase from doug*platypus)! I really appreciate all the effort y'all have put into this place!

Cheers and thanks!
Lyta

P.S. I noticed a lot of people are having trouble getting their avatars to a small enough size. I make or modify my own avatars using Photoshop and post them on my site and it did take me several tries with old "smoking Frodo" to get him just right. If you need me to resize a photo and send it back to you for use on your profile, I can. (I can't promise it fast in all cases, though! My hours are odd and even if I show up as logged on, sometimes I am miles away!) But I'm here now!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 02-10-2004, 09:10 PM   #71
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
I agree with BW that the loss of the movie section was regrettable but it is also a blessing. Now we can go back and repost meaningful movie discussions leaving the rubbish behind. If you had a movie topic that was important to you why not just copy it yourself into the new forum.

Post count and PT are not really relevant to Tolkien discussions it is just a fun item that we have all gotten used to. Thanks Barrow team for all the good work, I love the new software.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:16 PM   #72
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Having had previous experience with vBullitin, I can say that it's a great system. My deepest gratitude to Barrowwight for moving all those threads. You deserve a long vacation.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:35 PM   #73
Cinderella
Wight

Silmaril

Just want to make sure I don't seem ungrateful, I really do appreciate all the work that went into this and I understand your decision about the movies forum, thank you for the hard work put into this site
Old 02-11-2004, 02:30 AM   #74
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring Logging in, ad infinitum...

Every time I try to post, I'm required to log in again. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem. It's getting to be annoying!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:45 AM   #75
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
I believe something can be done about it in the user cp, Nilpaurion. In "edit options". click "yes" to the "Automatically login when you return to the site?" option

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 02-11-2004, 05:07 AM   #76
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
really like the way that the new forum lets you read previous posts as you are replying to a thread. I often found myself forgetting exact points others had made and having to open up the thread in another window.

Thanks for all the hard work, must have been a nightmare!
Old 02-11-2004, 07:41 AM   #77
trolls' bane

Alaklondewen as Trolls' Bane

Quote:
alaklondewen - did you use your publicly displayed name, or your old login name from the other software?
Legolas - I did use my displayed name and it still didn't work.

I was emailed my username and reset password overnight, but when I followed the link to change the password, it still has me signed in as Trolls' Bane.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:50 AM   #78
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Woha.....well, I have to admit that it'll take some time to get used to this.

Anyway, I see that there is a lot of discussion about the lost Movie's section. May I utter an opinion? I really think it's ad that it's gone. BW said that we could start all over again, and the movies section wasn't that important since this was originally a place to discuss the books. Even though I'm not very active at that section, I think that the movies section is a great loss. . I read a lot of discussions there. I also think it's sad it's gone because of the people who have committed loads of time to the section and just see it....disappear...

Okay, enough about that.

Why can't we restore the post amount? I mean, the old forum have all the numbers there......But it takes a lot of time, doesn't it? Well, the members have used loads of time writing those posts.....

Ehm...I'll stop now.

I like it though..:P There are some pretty awesome things I can do that I couldn't do before...
Old 02-11-2004, 07:55 AM   #79
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

troll's bane(s), I have no idea what is going on, but I still see both Maédros' and Alak's accounts, so I am going to delete the troll's bane account. Please try to sign on again.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:04 AM   #80
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Just a comment about the time and date attached to the posts. It used to be conveniently placed above the post, and now is off in the lower right of the it. This is rather unfortunate when printing out RPG posts, as it was a good way to keep them in order. Is this a fixed position? It would be so nice to have it inline with the body of the post. I expect that it can not be changed though.
Closed Thread