The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting RotK Trailer coming to theaters near you! (with Shelob!)

BilboFett from TORN writes:<BR>"Shelob's in the new RETURN OF THE KING Trailer!!..Just talked to someone,... and the word is, "GIANT SPIDER." He had no idea what he was looking at it. I asked him how it was, and he just said, "Dude... GIANT SCARY SPIDER. What the heck is that thing?!" The source confirmed that the ROTK trailer is *indeed* in front of Secondhand Lions (released by New Line) on September 19th"<P>I've witnessed times when TORN's news has not been acurrate, but what do you think? <BR>See you later! <BR>~M<p>[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 09-09-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Well, now I have a reason to go see that movie. Ugh. LOL
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

I hope its true.<BR>No wait...no I don't, I'm with Peony, I clearly don't need a reason to see that movie! I wish it would be attached to a good movie like....um....well...
Old 09-09-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

...like Pirates of the Caribbean. Well, maybe we could go in for the trailer, then skip out to another movie. Maybe PotC...<P><I>SHELOB SHELOB SHELOB!!!</I> <P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-09-2003, 04:54 PM   #5
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Secondhand Lions looks awesome!!! What could be better than too old guys sitting on a porch and shooting at salesmen?? I think it will be similar to Grumpy Old Men and that movie was great. I can't wait! I can't wait! :Bounces off the walls:

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:01 PM   #6
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

They're putting it in theaters???? NOOOOOO!!!!!!! That is <I>supposed</I> to be the huge, secret thing that they won't show until the movie comes out! It's <B><I>supposed</I></B> to be like Treebeard was last year!!! This makes me mad! Ugh!! That ruins everthing!! [calms down] I cannot believe this.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:40 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1062982482" TARGET=_blank>Here's a link to the article at OneRing.</A><P>It's a friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing, so take it for what it's worth.<P>Personally, I highly doubt we'll get a good look at Shelob.<P>H.C.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:06 PM   #8
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Shield

I'm going with Eruwen and HCIsland here. Shelob shouldn't be shown except in the movie itself. It's the one thing that we <I>have</I> to wait for. If we don't, what'll be the big (moving) special effects thing? Sure, you've got Mt Doom, you've got the palantir, but you don't get any living characters (to my memory). <P>This shouldn't be seen yet, and if it's in any movie trailer, I'm covering my eyes. ~_^
Old 09-09-2003, 08:48 PM   #9
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien

yeah, it does spoil a lot, but they did do a good job concealing gollum and treebeard until the release i thought. But you gotta see it from their point of view: they're out to make a lot of money, and trailers are a part of the advertising strategy. I doubt they'll show a bunch of Shelob, so they can get people to come see the movie to see Shelob. Well, there's also plenty of websites that it'll come out on shortly after being released in theaters. If you want to know a good one, just PM me.
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:53 PM   #10
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They might put it like they put Gollum and Treebeard: I remember that Treebeard was only shown as legs (when he scooped up Merry after already grabbing Pip) and that Gollum was only shown from the back (I think) as he climbed down the wall to sneak up on the nasty hobbitses. I sure hope they only put Shelob as bits and snatches, because that will make me want to see it even more!!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:16 PM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I don't mind seeing a <I>little</I> Shelob because I have waited like 3 years to see the most amazing part of the book displayed on screen. But I do hope that all they show is maybe a foot, or an eye. Nothing but a little taste.<p>[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 09-10-2003, 01:44 AM   #12
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Just an FYI - the film (Secondhand Lions) was originally going to show on 9/26, but the release date has been moved up to 9/19. The ROTK preview will NOT be on the 9/19 release, but rather on the 9/26 release. <P>This is from the <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/spyreports.html" TARGET=_blank>Spy Reports</A> section on ToRN.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:28 AM   #13
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The fact alone that there is so much talk about Shelob is a shame. My brother has enjoyed the first two movies, but never read the books, so he is really curious about what is going to happen. At the end of TTT, Gollum says: "We will let her do it." My brother was wondering who "she" might be, and then, it is all over the newspaper that she is a giant spider and all, he was really dissapointed about that.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:01 AM   #14
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Great point Meriska. It is a shame.<P>I love sitting beside people that have no idea what is coming just to watch them experience it for the first time.<P>H.C.<p>[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 09-10-2003, 01:55 PM   #15
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I totally agree with Gorwingel. Or, just not show her at all. The more surprised and scared I am the better. But I agree about it being all over the news and stuff. It's just like Gandalf the White. Everyone knew, and it could have been an awesome surprise the way they showed it, with the voice sounding like Chris Lee's. At least they're keeping Mount Doom under wraps... *crosses fingers* I hope I didn't just jinx that...
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 04:17 PM   #16
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

I am dissapointed with them showing Shelob, but at the same time, I am REALLY anxious to see her! I also heard (from a VERY unreliable source) that the mouth of Sauron was to be shown in the trailer.<BR> Peonydeepdelver, KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:20 PM   #17
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

If it's the same trailer I saw a week ago (internet, not exactly officially released), in that one they showed a few of her legs (which were quite nasty) but no smile-for-the-camera full portrait of Her Ladyship. It was pretty dark, as well, so someone who doesn't know who Shelob is, while they'd get the idea of something spidery and nasty, wouldn't necessarily have the whole ghastly surprise blown for them. This could be a different trailer, though.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #18
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Hmmm, would I go see a movie I've never heard of because of a trailor?.....<BR>Yes! well maybe, <BR>I Don't know, it depends on who goes with me and if I have money.<BR>Chee, I hope that her ladyship doesn't look too much like the spiders from Harry Potter, cause, even though the pictures were cool, they didn't seem real enough to scare me. Shelob is pretty real to me through the books, lets hope that PJ and his incredible staff have come up with something special.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:28 PM   #19
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>If it's the same trailer I saw a week ago (internet, not exactly officially released)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ok, Kalimac... Where exactly did you see this trailer? I wanna see it! <p>[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 09-14-2003, 12:27 PM   #20
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

For the past two movies I've been getting at as many spoilers as I could. But Shelob is a very special scene for me (mostly cause sam gets to kick butt) so I want it to be a total suprise.<P>I don't think we have to worry about Shelob not being scary enough. Supposedly PJ is a big arachnaphobic and they designed her to scare his pants off.<P> Be afraid! Be VERY afraid!
Old 09-17-2003, 06:17 PM   #21
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm... if the movie looks interesting enough to my mom we'll probably go, but I don't think I'll bug to see this one like I did with Pirates. (the one movie I was looking foward to besides RotK)<P>I decided to tag along to Hulk because there was a PoC trailer on it and there wasn't So I ended up sitting though a mediocre movie. *sigh* Maybe if I hear <I>for sure</I> that the trailer is on it, I'll go, but I can probably watch it on the internet once it's out. <P>I'm also sceptical about getting a glance at Shelob, although I really don't care. That'll be a very painful scene for me I'm looking forward more to poor Sam's reaction. I thrive on all this emotional stuff <p>[ September 17, 2003: Message edited by: Shy Hobbit ]

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:55 PM   #22
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Eye

Aw, c'mon, we KNOW this trailer will show up on the internet before long, just like the TTT trailer they stuck on the end of Fellowship.<P>Still, someone go see this movie, okay? I don't wanna blow my money on a movie just for a trailer. Besides, I don't go to see too many movies anyway, and I only see the GOOD ones. (Not to offend any fans of this, this...WHATEVER movie...)
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:28 AM   #23
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We should keep in mind, it'll probably also be an easter egg on the EE of TTT, right?

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:59 PM   #24
Mooncalf
Pile O'Bones

Mooncalf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Here's a ROTK trailer... you can download it here:<P> <A HREF="http://www.dtheatre.com/read.php?sid=2106" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dtheatre.com/read.php?sid=2106</A> <P>You need Quicktime.<P>Then again, this may be the one on the TTT DVD. I was so excited I had to post it though.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:58 PM   #25
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Yeesh! Watch out for language on that site!<BR>Alas, I didn't have time to look at the trailer...I'm supposed to be going to bed. >.> <.<

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:08 PM   #26
Mooncalf
Pile O'Bones

Mooncalf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gah, sorry, I forgot to warn you... don't bother reading the comments under the downloading link; only about 10% are intelligible and 1% are helpful. They need some moderators on that site... The downloads are fine, though; I didn't get any viruses.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:21 PM   #27
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

This is the Return of the King preview that was packaged with TTT DVD and has been kicking around for some time.<P>It is likely not the trailer that is coming out in a week.<P>H.C.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:52 PM   #28
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

I really think PJ's going to hold Shelob's true identity a secret. Like <B>Horse-Maiden of the Shire</B> said, they only showed bits and pieces of Treebeard and Gollum. On the other hand, they did completely ruin the surprise of Gandalf the White, so I don't know what to think. I can only <I>hope</I> that most of Shelob will be a surprise... *crosses fingers* <P>Hmm... here's a question... how is it that this guy's friend saw the trailer at all? Did I miss where it said what special circumstances allowed for him to see it while it's locked under vault and key from the rest of the public viewing audience?
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 12:05 AM   #29
Blue_Punk_Dragon

Sting

I am really anxious about seeing Shelob but, like most people, I want it to be a suprise too. It probably is great and it was good how they hid Treebeard and Gollum from everyone. They probably won't show too much of Shelob. I hope<p>[ September 20, 2003: Message edited by: Blue_Punk_Dragon ]
Old 09-20-2003, 09:58 PM   #30
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

Does anyone know if the trailer that is coming out with Secondhand Lions this Wednesday (I think?) is also going to be put on the official website? Because I heard that the trailer if finally coming out (after a lot of waiting) like this week, but then I have heard nothing about it since.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:30 PM   #31
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

yea can anyone confirm that for me, cause I don't want to go to the movie thinking I'm going to see the trailer and then find out its not playing.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:37 PM   #32
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I saw a TV spot for RotK after a "Lions" preview today. I recorded it and watched the fifteen second clip in super slow-mo, and here's what I've gotten. <P>Be warned, this contains spoilers.<P>Aragorn is seen running on a field, then fighting orcs. This means that he gets to the Battle (you know which one I'm talking about).<P>Gandalf is seen up on some sort of battlement as orcs climb over a nearby wall. This is not a good sign. I have a feeling that the drama element is going to drive Minas Tirith to the same fate as Helm's Deep. Sadly, this is evidence supporting that.<P>One very good thing is a head-shot of Eowyn pulling off a dirty helmet and having the strangest looking smile on her face. One scene at least is guaranteed to be incredible, even if the first four circles fall.<P>Also, there is a brief shot of Arwen running up to Elrond and hugging him, and one of Frodo, Sam, and Gollum standing near the entrance to an odd looking cave... <P>I live in fearful joy,<BR>Iarwain<P><BR>P.S. Yes, it was implicitly stated that the trailer will be played.<p>[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 09-24-2003, 08:57 AM   #33
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

The trailer will definately be attached to Secondhand Lions on September 26 and will be available on-line Semptember 29.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1064347657" TARGET=_blank>Link</A><P>Editted to add: Also at OneRing is a rather vague description of the trialer.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1064418201" TARGET=_blank>Link</A><P>Will have to see the trailer for myself, but Galadriel visiting Frodo (likely in a dream) seems interesting. My guess is that this is after Frodo has been captured. I also find the Arwen/Elrond scene interesting. I'd have to see it before I can take a guess at where it fits.<P>H.C.<p>[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 09-24-2003, 07:16 PM   #34
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

OneRing has a report that there will be a sneak "exclusive" preview on E! News Live Thursday, 7:00PM EST.<P>They seem to think it will be a portion of the trailer.<P>H.C.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:08 PM   #35
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

I have read the discriptions of that tralier. And Oh my Gosh! It sounds absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see it. I especially want to see the end of it though, I never thought they would put a part of that scene in it
Old 09-25-2003, 05:32 PM   #36
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Another description of the trailer.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1064529509" TARGET=_blank>Link</A><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Some of the bits I remember:<P><BR>Shot of Frodo and Sam climbing to the top of a very high building... <P>Frodo getting to the top and Gollum suddenly seeing the Ring on Frodo's neck... <P>Arwen talking to Elrond about Narsil/Anduril and Aragorn needing it... showing the sword reforged... <P>Aragorn talking to Gandalf with Gandalf doubting Frodo's survival... <P>Aragorn making Gandalf feel stronger by asking what he 'believes/feels in his heart' (Sorry, I was so mesmerized I didn't take in the words properly)... <P>Aragorn making a speech to the army before the battle making them shout and cheer (you hear him but don't see him until right at the end of his speech)... <P>Eomer holding (possibly) King Theoden in his arms... <P>Frodo running up a passageway holding his light (from Galadriel) being chased by Shelob (I know this was in other reports of <BR>trailers)...<P>Lots and lots of other bits and all the time the same quotes as already mentioned in other trailers. 'For every victory' etc. <P>It looks absolutely fantastic and we sat there stunned. Whether the trailer is being shown with any other films showing at Cineworld I haven't a clue. It may be with all films being shown or only with Underworld. Perhaps they shouldn't be showing it at all yet? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>H.C.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:28 PM   #37
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>OneRing has a report that there will be a sneak "exclusive" preview on E! News Live Thursday, 7:00PM EST.<BR>They seem to think it will be a portion of the trailer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It was <BR>It was only a very, extremely small part, but what part I saw was really good.<BR>It mainly contained three small scenes...<BR>One of Aragorn and Gandalf talking about Frodo and where he is and things like that<P>Then a scene of Frodo with Sam behind him climbing up a very steep and rocky mountain hill with Gollum in front. This scene was my absolute favorite of what E showed. I can't wait to see it in the full tralier. It is a very dark scene, but the colors they use are amazing, and something is glowing in the background.<P>The next part begins with a small scene of Arwen saying something and then it goes to Elrond giving Aragorn Anduril. It is absolutely amazing the way he whips out that sword, it is so quick. The colors too seem different in this scene too than in the other films. It is darker but with a very bright warmpth, and they are in a tent.<P>I can't wait to see the tralier. I am going to be seeing it this Sunday in the theater.<P>Additionally, here is a link to Harry's from Ain't it Cool news review of the tralier. I will warn you it does have some profane language, but he absolutely loved it, and it is well worth a read...<BR><A HREF="http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16175" TARGET=_blank>Ain't it Cool News</A><P>
Old 09-25-2003, 09:46 PM   #38
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Noldorin King has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No offense to the fans of LOTR movies but the Two Towers blows...it's the most exciting episode of the tale of the Third Age but what happened to the movie? I'm sure the script writer was sick in the head when he wrote it because there's very little resemblance between the book and the film. i'm not saying they should follow every word there was in the Two Towers but they could've atleast gotten rid of the not so interesting love story between 'him' and 'her' and focused on the adventures of Sam and Frodo or atleast the journey of the three others who searched for Merry and Pippin and came across the Riders of Rohan...I wouldn't be quibbling over this trifle if they had let us see a glimpse of Shelob at the end but there was not even the slightest hint that Frodo and Sam would be meeting such a magnificent ancient beast...
Noldorin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:05 AM   #39
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

Now, back to the thread....<P>FaramirFan sent me this QuickTime link.<P><A HREF="http://img-nex.theonering.net/movies/092503_rotk_sm.mov" TARGET=_blank>The Sneak Preview On E!</A><P>Most excitting bit for me.<P>It isn't Arwen bring Anduril to Aragorn. It's Elrond.<P>I am so pumped.<P>H.C.<P>Editted to add: One bit I found a little strange is the shot of Frodo climbing towards Gollum. This seems to be the long stair leading towards the tunnel but what is the green glow below them? Any thoughts?<P>Never mind. I just got an e-mail from FaramirFan saying, "wasn't the glimps of Minas Morgul in the background cool?"<P> <p>[ September 26, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 09-26-2003, 02:39 PM   #40
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well i just saw it with once upon a time in mexico, so i htink i got a pretty ace deal <P>shelob was on it. i thought she looked more like a crab than a spider actually...