The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2003, 05:24 PM   #1
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting MORE news on the EV TTT! *Spoilers*

<A HREF="http://www.warofthering.net/specialnewspages/tttextendedreview.shtml" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is a written overview from a screening they did of the EV TTT. A lot of it sounds great! And it seems they're going a bit far on the tribute to Tom Bombadil. If it's true, I think PJ had too much to drink one night to include you-know-who in Fangorn Forest. It's not Arwen. <BR>As good as some of it sounds, I think I'll rent it before I'll buy it.<BR>See you later! <BR>~M<BR>P.S. It's....19 days 'til it releases!<p>[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 10-30-2003, 05:43 PM   #2
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I can't wait...I'd love to see the Huorns in uh, action*cough*
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Now what's Old Man Willow doing in Fangorn Forest? I guess this serves two purposes: 1) to acknowledge the bits of Fellowship that they cut out and 2) it could be a way of introducing the Huorns a bit (that's rather what OMW is, right?). Very clever, PJ! <P>OMG, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS!!!!<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 10-30-2003, 07:56 PM   #4
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Now I got movie jitters again. I had them early today until I got advanced Matrix tickets. Now the jitters are back again. I can't wait to see TTT extended edition.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:27 PM   #5
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sounds good! I'll be buying that! No Gollum statue though. I noticed an error when he said Grima describes the ring of Baradur, isn't it Barahir? The Faramir/Boromir/Denethor scenes sound brutal! And Eowyn singing! Dang it though...more burping! <p>[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 10-30-2003, 09:31 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know what? I'm not going to pore over the review. I want a few surprises to hit me.<P>Ahh, that feels good. <P>H.C.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:43 PM   #7
Morquesse
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Now what's Old Man Willow doing in Fangorn Forest? I guess this serves two purposes: 1) to acknowledge the bits of Fellowship that they cut out and 2) it could be a way of introducing the Huorns a bit (that's rather what OMW is, right?). Very clever, PJ!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I guess nobody feels the same about OMW as I do. Either 1), I have more purist blood in me than I thought, or 2), I need to lighten up. <BR>~M
Old 10-31-2003, 06:42 AM   #8
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>After watching this version I came away with a much better understanding as to the behaviour of some of the characters. For example, after watching this version and seeing the interaction between Faramir, Boromir, and their father Denethor (yes, as rumoured, Denethor makes his first appearance here!), I walked away with a much better understanding of just why Boromir behaved the way he did in The Fellowship of the Ring, and why Faramir's character was so much different than in the books. This is just one example of many where things such as family dynamics were expanded upon and did an excellent job in giving the characters more depth. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Will this help to justify Faramir for most of you? I feel I was the only one who actually saw the good side of Faramir's character change. Will any of you give a little on the angry front after seeing this, or still be super mad with PJ?<P>I suppose a lot of you, being all book-knowing and what, will know that Denethor has a lot to do with Faramir's change anyway. So were you all just hung up about the fact that Faramir was changed full stop?<BR>Perhaps most of you would still be mad then, but know that this scene gives good reasoning in the film.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:08 PM   #9
Morquesse
Wight

Sting

At first I was mad at the change of Faramir, but someone made the point (don't remember who) that if they kept Faramir like the book, he wouldn't fit in the movie at all. <BR>In the books (I think), it appears only a few were truely tempten by the Ring. Faramir wasn't. I don't think Aragorn was, and most of the tempted ones were able to hold back (i.e. Gandalf).<BR>So then PJ makes the movie different from the book. A lot of poeple are tempted. Since PJ did this, having Faramir flat refusing the ring sounds....like he's above the Ring's power. So, I guess PJ's choice was justified. Though I will gladly accept a nicer Faramir, or at least better reasoning for his actions. <BR>See you later!<BR>~M
Old 10-31-2003, 01:46 PM   #10
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I'm really glad that the scene with Faramir, Denethor, and Boromir is going in. I noticed that one thing Denethor said to Faramir was he needed to "prove his quality". I think this really smooths out things that happen later, so when Faramir reiterates that line he's saying "Look at this Dad, here's your proof, I'm getting what Boromir couldn't." I think that's really meaningful and fits well.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I guess nobody feels the same about OMW as I do. Either 1), I have more purist blood in me than I thought, or 2), I need to lighten up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Maybe a little. I'm just so overjoyed that that bit is gonna be in there at all, albeit in the wrong book/movie. I loved the Old Forest bits in the book, and so some kind of tribute to it will be great.<P>Now, if he can work the Barrow-Downs in at some point, that would be something... <P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 11-01-2003, 12:24 AM   #11
Morquesse
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm just so overjoyed that that bit is gonna be in there at all, albeit in the wrong book/movie. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Good point. I wonder if Merry will be swallowed up and Pippin is running around in circles shouting "Help! Help!" <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Now, if he can work the Barrow-Downs in at some point, that would be something... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know! The Pathes of the Dead! <BR>~M
Old 11-01-2003, 05:55 AM   #12
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dűm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You know what? I'm not going to pore over the review. I want a few surprises to hit me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree with HC. I think I showed very good self control by not looking at the EE section on the TT DVD. And after all, it's only 18 days now!
Old 11-01-2003, 06:02 AM   #13
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm with Daisy and HC. Only I don't have the TT DVD, so I can't peek.<P>About Faramir...I've found my extreme anguish at the way PJ portrayed him has softened slightly, possibly because of all this reasoned discussion ...I think this is one of the good things about having a good, long break between the release of each film. We can full prepare for the onslaught of the next one.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:25 AM   #14
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I have mixed feelings about Faramir's new scenes. While I'm very happy they'll explain his circumstances better so that his motives will be clearer, I'm very upset by the continued portrayal of him as a bully. Faramir allows his men to "beat Gollum pretty badly"?! Why is this necessary? It's so out of character it's infuriating and there's no justification for it. Also, the scene I dread is the one where Faramir grabs Gollum by the throat, throws him to the ground and threatens to kill him. I don't care if it's because he's concerned about Frodo. It's wrong! <P>*deep breath*<P>Okay, I'll try to stay calm until I've seen the scenes themselves, but I was hoping they would show the gentle warrior we know him to be. It appears some scenes will, but some definitely will *not*, for which I'm still deeply saddened.<P>-Lily
Old 11-03-2003, 06:07 PM   #15
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Calisuri at tORn wrote a review of the TTT EE. While most of it does sound good, this really got to me:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Previous to TTT, I had heard rumors of a scene in which Faramir's men beat the living snot out of Gollum after his capture at the pool. I did not expect to see the sequence in TTT EX, simply because the description relayed to me sounded excessively violent. Much to my surprise, we do get a brief glimpse of Gollum being beat to smithereens. In fact, in TTT EX Gollum is treated by men, especially Faramir, in a very violent manner. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>*AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH!*</B> <P>[Lily writhes on the ground like Gollum with Sam's rope around his neck]<p>[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: Lily Bracegirdle ]
Old 11-03-2003, 06:18 PM   #16
Morquesse
Wight

Sting

I wasn't very happy with Faramir's violent behavier either, but I'm guessing that PJ will start him like that and after his fever he'll be a nice guy. A nice thought anyway.<P>Here's <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1067831998.html" TARGET=_blank>another review</A> about the EV TTT, which has more opinions than anything.<P>See you later!<BR>~M
Old 11-04-2003, 10:24 AM   #17
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read the review from War of the Ring.com and the EE of TTT sounds awesome, I can't wait to buy it!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 12:45 PM   #18
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thats sounds great!!!!! Its gonna be like a whole different movie! Aweosme, I can't wait!! *gets in line at blockbuster*!! lol
Old 11-04-2003, 02:30 PM   #19
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good idea, Morquesse! (So long as the Army of the Dead aren't just arms :P )<P>This DVD sounds sweet. I never doubted it. I just love it already. *sniff* <P>As for Faramir: PJ's excuse of Faramir not fitting in is rubbish. Her does get tempted in the Books, but overcomes it (paraphrasing: "and you have run from Boromir to me, with a company of men at my call...a chance for Faramir to prove his quality!" he then overcomes it, and laughs bitterly. "Alas for Boromir, this trial was too sore for him.")<P>The Ring is just as evil and corrputing in the Books. doesn't destroy the wisdom Gandlaf, Elrond etc have though that they shouldn't have it. If they did claim it, well, they'd go very, very evil. They could have kept Faramir how he is. He'd fit in better than crazy character-change man.<P>As for brutal behaviour...more than the Books, but I think it's not too far from what happens. True, Im don't think Book-Faramir would let Gollum be beaten to a bloodying stump, but look at his behaviour in TTT. He starts off very harsh to Frodo, a possible spy. Then he softens, and is nice, especially when he learns the truth.<BR>But he and his men treat Gollum like an animal. He less so, and he accepts that Gollum is not lying, but still, it seems that in his mind Gollum is worth no mroe than an Ork or piece of dirt.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:40 PM   #20
Eurytus
Wight

Eurytus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>As for Faramir: PJ's excuse of Faramir not fitting in is rubbish. Her does get tempted in the Books, but overcomes it (paraphrasing: "and you have run from Boromir to me, with a company of men at my call...a chance for Faramir to prove his quality!" he then overcomes it, and laughs bitterly. "Alas for Boromir, this trial was too sore for him.") <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Well given that he overcomes that temptation in about two paragraphs I can see why PJ made the change.

Lionel Hutz
Eurytus is offline   Reply With Quote