The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2003, 08:27 AM   #1
Andephelien
Pile O'Bones

Andephelien has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye What. Only One??

I kept the TV on later that usual, because I wanted to see the nominations. I was shocked when Lord of the Rings only got one. I definatly think PJ should have gotten nominated for best director, and Gandalf for supporting actor. What do You all think?<P>------------------------------------------<P>"Kazad! Kazad aimenu!"
Andephelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:31 AM   #2
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nominations for which award ceremony?<p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Inderjit Sanghera ]

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:46 AM   #3
Veon
Pile O'Bones

Veon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I guess it's the Oscars. (<A HREF="http://us.imdb.com/RTO/2003/Oscars/" TARGET=_blank>IMDb: Academy Award Nominations</A>)<P>TTT is nominated for "Best picture", "Best Art Direction/Set Direction", "Best Editing", "Best Sound", "Best Sound Effects" and "Best Visual Effects".<P>Anders
Old 02-11-2003, 08:53 AM   #4
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Yeah, it sucks that PJ isn't on there.<P>And can you believe, no nomination for best screenplay based on previously produced or published material?<P>Nothing for costume design?<P>And nothing for best music???<P>What's the deal?
Old 02-11-2003, 09:01 AM   #5
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't take the Oscars seriously anymore. Forrest Gump better then Pulp Fiction? A Beautiful Mind better then FoTR? No oscar For Denzel Washington, for Malclom X? And all those nominations for Titanic...

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:45 AM   #6
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yes... i am afraid that the world is degressing into the pile of mush it once was what a pity. hmmm... they should have at the <I>very</I> least had a nomination for costumes.<P>pæling
Old 02-11-2003, 09:47 AM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All I can say is at least they got best picture, so that FOTR got one, and TTT got one, so giving the award to ROTK will seem even more urgent.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:27 AM   #8
Andephelien
Pile O'Bones

Andephelien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Peter Jackson didnt even get nominated, although on an online poll, he got 48% of the vote, and the next best one only got 20!!
Andephelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #9
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only problem with popular votes is that no one in the Academy listens to what the people want. They think that they know better what is good and what is not. <P>I say, screw the oscars, why should we care what the so called 'critics' think about a movie we like. I sure won't let it ruin the movie for me.<P>In my opinion, Peter Jackson is the best director and TTT is the best movie, whatever happens at the oscars.
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:27 PM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Thumbs up

Right on Jurion! that is a positive attitude to have.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:28 PM   #11
Naldoriathil
Haunting Spirit

Naldoriathil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Only awards like The Empire awards are worth paying attention to because they are voted for by the public. The Oscar's is rigged. I the Awards!!!!!! sorry....
Old 02-11-2003, 12:38 PM   #12
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

OMG! ---- those stupid awards! The same nominees for Best Picture at the Golden Globes are the same ones for the Oscars!!!!! I hate these stupid "committees" who don't know jack about the movies. The only awards show LOTR would get any cool thing at would be People's Choice. And you know why? CAUSE THE PEOPLE ACTUALLY CHOOSE THE WINNER!!!<P>Sorry. I gotta calm down now. I just really got mad after the Golden Globes and the same thing is gonna happen for the Oscars. You just watch. Gangs of New York will get everything, and LOTR will be stuck with the stupid Best Effects award. <P>And what is with the no nominees for Best actor/actress? Where are these guys from anyway? I don't think they would know acting if it hit them in the head. Ugh. This is so gay.<P>EDIT: My apologies. I had to edit this post for content. <P>EDIT: Oh, and I must add, my mom just informed me of this. She was watching a show on tv and they were talking about the Oscars. Well, they made a comment that since TTT was the only movie nominated for Best Picture but not Best Director, there is a slim chance of them getting the award for Best Picture. How stupid is that?<p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:35 PM   #13
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The only awards show LOTR would get any cool thing at would be People's Choice. And you know why? CAUSE THE PEOPLE ACTUALLY CHOOSE THE WINNER!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You would think that award show where the people choose would be better, but really their not. I haven't watch the People's Choice Awards (did it already happened?), but I did watch the Teen Choice Awards. IT SUCKED!!!! Not only did FOTR not win anything, but the entire award show was terrible. The music, movies, and TV shows that deserved to win did not and the celebrities who were there did not seem to care much about winning. Their speeches were only about two seconds long and it was one of the most casual award ceremonies I've ever seen! UGH!
Old 02-11-2003, 06:43 PM   #14
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The same nominees for Best Picture at the Golden Globes are the same ones for the Oscars!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not true: Richard Gere <I>won</I> a Golden Globe for "Chicago" and he isn't even nominated for the Academy Awards!<P>And: how can you really compare movies like, say "Chicago" for example, and "Lord of the Rings"? They are so different, who is to say that one is better than the other (certainly not me: I've seen both three times in the movie theater)?
Old 02-11-2003, 07:06 PM   #15
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i checked out the oscars website and ttt actually got nominated in six categories -- <B>best picture, sound, sound editing, art direction, visual effects and film editing</B>.<P>folks in the other oscar thread were right -- since fotr got cinematography and score last year it didn't even get nominated in these categories this year.<P>i'm not really surprised with the lean reap ttt got, not even with the snubbing of pj. there is some politics involved in these awards too -- i wouldn't be surprised if strong insular sentiments in the u.s., what with the country at the verge of war, has had some influence in the selection process this year. of course, this notwithstanding some of the weaker points of ttt as outlined in the other oscar thread (yo maril ), in regards to which ttt actually did pull off more than expected.<P>now film editing for ttt -- that is surprising. i keep reading horror stories about how terrible the editing went and came out.<P>peace, my fellow downers <p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Amarinth ]
Old 02-11-2003, 07:09 PM   #16
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It got two thumbs up from Ebert and Roeper, and made an obscene amount of money, what more do you want?
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:18 PM   #17
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was really, really shocked that costume, score and cinematargraphy didn't get nominations. Ok so FOTR won the score and cinematargraphy last year, but what about costume??!! It's not fair! But film editing??? Well, i won't complain then.<P>I will wager TTT will not get best picture this year. It's easy to tell. We are all betting our money on ROTK... Actually, i would rather have TTT lose this year, and have ROTK taking all the big trophies home next year(best film, best director, best actor, best score<I hope Howard Shore get some more stuff up his sleeve> and all that. Let's just wait and see...<P>I know the general public LOVE TTT. CNN newnet is doing a poll, and right now TTT has 49% while Chicago only has 22%. Talk about ironic, since we know Chicago is most likely to take home the statue.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:41 PM   #18
Waenfalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Waenfalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://att.eonline.com/News/More/oscar2003noms.html" TARGET=_blank>oscar nom.'s</A><BR>TTT got 7 nominations.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:10 AM   #19
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I first saw the nominations, I was a little disappointed, what with everyone talking about how Viggo should have been nominated for best supporting actor or best actor whatever. <P> So ya, it was a bit of a shock that TTT didn't get more nominations, but I guess its novelty of last year has worn off a bit. I mean, its costumes were great, but they were pretty much the same as last years anyways, and so it wouldn't really be fair to nominate it again for something it was already nominated for.<P>Plus, we should keep in mind that this is only the second time ever that a sequel has been nominated for best picture. The only other time this has happened was with The Godfather II. I doubt TTT will win best picture, but then again, I was surprised it was even nominated for best picture, so who knows what the Academy has up their sneaky sleeves?

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:53 AM   #20
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I did watch the Teen Choice Awards. IT SUCKED!!!! Not only did FOTR not win anything, but the entire award show was terrible. The music, movies, and TV shows that deserved to win did not and the celebrities who were there did not seem to care much about winning. Their speeches were only about two seconds long and it was one of the most casual award ceremonies I've ever seen! UGH!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Teen's Choice awards suck. Big time. But think about it: they're <I>TEEN</I> choice awards. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Ok so FOTR won the score and cinematargraphy last year, but what about costume??!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>FotR won best makeup last year. I find that is enough for me, especially considering the makeup jobs and how much the actors and extras (especially the orcs and Uruk-Hai) had to go through. I believe it was Lurtz who had a 12:00AM makeup call and was in there for almost eight hours. That takes patience.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:50 AM   #21
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I really had my hopes on Andy Serkis being nominated for best supporting actor but I guess these people think that the actor's who you can't see in the final movie arn't important.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:36 AM   #22
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not to belittle what Andy Serkis accomplished, but I think the problem here is that the character of Gollum is not created entirely by him in the same way other actors create their characters. The line between where Andy stops and where the animation begins is very fuzzy. I think what he did does not fit easily into any of the Oscar catagories. Just the fact he was being talked about as a nomination contender bespeaks the incredible work he did.<P>H.C.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:10 PM   #23
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I just realized that 3 out of the 4 awards FOTR won last year, TTT didn't even get nominated for this year.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:20 PM   #24
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this *I did a quick look-over and didn't see it*, but Lord of the Rings did win the People's Choice award for best film. So at least we know that the general public thinks that LOTR is the best out there!

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:45 PM   #25
Calliope and Linus S. Underhill.
Pile O'Bones

Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nope. I think they should only get special effects oscars. The movie might have been special to fans, but the acting wasn't all that special compared to other movies this year. The fellowship was just a better movie than this was. Am glad it got nominated for best picture, though. TTT was a very good movie, just not close enough to the books for me <p>[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. ]
Old 02-12-2003, 11:19 PM   #26
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Yeah, the general public loves this movie, in almost every internet poll about which film do you think should win best picture, the LOTR films have been far ahead in the lead. No one really goes and sees all the other films that are nominated for best picture.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:40 AM   #27
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

I was upset to hear that PJ wasnt nominated as best director. What he did was no easy task (as many of you already know). But i read in a newspaper that one of the reasons he didnt get nominated was that 'The film directed itself'. I dont see that through TTT...

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:16 AM   #28
Veon
Pile O'Bones

Veon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

People are idiots. The general public would vote for anything that made them say "oooh!" and they wouldn't remember movies they saw more than two months ago.<P>The general public would even say Bloodhound Gang's "The Bad Touch" is THE best song of 1999.<P>Anders
Old 02-13-2003, 03:02 PM   #29
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A little revenge for TTT's Oscar 'snub'? Did PJ release his dark riders to hunt down academy voters? Who knows!<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/movie/scrapbook/large/5988" TARGET=_blank>Click here.</A>
Old 02-14-2003, 12:13 AM   #30
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

*lol* funny picture there Arwen Thanks for that.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:10 AM   #31
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>People are idiots. The general public would vote for anything that made them say "oooh!" and they wouldn't remember movies they saw more than two months ago.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Quite true. After all, it is the general public that made things like American Idol and Survivor so popular.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote