The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #121
Aerandir
Newly Deceased

Aerandir has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I'd probably be a Dunlander from Dunland, as I have a strange fascination with them, as so little is told, save for the war(s) with Rohan. Living in Enedwaith and talking with those idiot Elves from Eregion, before the, you know, whole ring forging thing!
Aerandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #122
Lollipop010900
Animated Skeleton

Lollipop010900 has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Well, I'd be an elf, but I'd live in Rohan and I'd be married to Eomer. I know, weird combo but...
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #123
Unforgiven
Animated Skeleton

Unforgiven has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I'd be a green Thark with tusks and four arms and call myself Jeddak!

Oh, Wait wrong forum -

I'd be a green Orc with tusks and four arms and call myself Jedlak!
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #124
malickfan
Pile O'Bones

malickfan has just left Hobbiton.
I'd be a Teleri Elve born at Cuivienien (probabaly spelt that wrong) so I could experience the whole of Middle Earth's main history, and levae from the Havens on the last ship into the west.

I could then write a best selling memoir...
malickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #125
Gilnaur
Newly Deceased

Gilnaur has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I like books and learning so I would like to be an elf in Rivendell.
Gilnaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #126
Pellanarién Aldarion
Newly Deceased

Pellanarién Aldarion has just left Hobbiton.
If only...

I am a half human half elven ranger of the north. A young female desguised as a male human, hidding my trueself in plain sight from my fellow rangers. As a man I can go where I want and do what I want, I can from my pasts past and from myeslf and what I should or should not be. It would my choosings to make in this life.

I could travel between Imladris and the forests of Mirkwood. Sometimes alone along the borders of Lorien and Rohan. Maybe even as far as to the people of Harad. I would Always return to Rivendell. Lord Elrond has always offered us sanctuary to those of us who need it. Even if not asked.

I have not many friends here but in a rangers line of work and a female no less, who really does.

I would have started my time some where around in the year of 2800 of the Third age. A few decades before Bilbos time when Arda was still at a small amount of peace.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #127
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Leaf Aerlinn

I'd be an elven singer from the Grey Havens, winter in the settlements by the sea, and wander the woods in the warmer months. I wouldn't be as good an archer or swordsman as most in the wandering companies, but the Shadow can be fought with song as well as blades, and songs should be sung also for song's sake.
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #128
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blantyr View Post
I'd be an elven singer from the Grey Havens, winter in the settlements by the sea, and wander the woods in the warmer months. I wouldn't be as good an archer or swordsman as most in the wandering companies, but the Shadow can be fought with song as well as blades, and songs should be sung also for song's sake.
My dad taught me to use the long bow but I never made much of it. Not being one for wandering far from home I think I'd be a Shire dweller (they too have bows, though they only appear in the Scouring of the Shire), but one who spends time with those who journey through or live on the borders of our land.

As to singing for the song's sake, I don't know if that is quite possible or, at any rate, not how I'd put it. Shire folk also love music (I play whistle and uilleann pipes), gathering to sing and make merry. Our music is neither as 'high' as the Elves nor dour as the Dwarves, or sinister as the Goblins, but akin to all because music is more than being entertained; we make our own music, our own magic, to tell ourselves who we are.

We make music because thus we rejoin the Great Song. How can I put it? Songs should be sung for the Song's sake (capital S), not for the sake of an individual song.

"It finds an echo in my soul—
How can I keep from singing?"

R.W.Lowry
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #129
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
"It finds an echo in my soul—
How can I keep from singing?"

R.W.Lowry
Isn't that a song by Enya?

I guess I would prefer to live in the Shire, too, or perhaps in Gondor, working in the houses of healing, like Ioreth.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #130
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Isn't that a song by Enya?

I guess I would prefer to live in the Shire, too, or perhaps in Gondor, working in the houses of healing, like Ioreth.
I first heard it in a black-and-white movie, either Laurel and Hardy or Marx Bro's, but Enya did cover it.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #131
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would be a dwarf, preferably one who is skilled at both arms and the forge.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #132
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree I wish...

I'd be an elf from Rivendell, bu I'd hang out in Gondor and Rohan or where ever everything was going on at the time! (and i also happen to be very close to where ever Aragorn was at the time...)

EDIT: I would also be a good archer.

Last edited by Elyna of Rivendell; 08-11-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #133
malickfan
Pile O'Bones

malickfan has just left Hobbiton.
I'd be a Elve...

One of the Teleri born pre first age at Cunivien, I'd see middle earth in its infancy during the great journey, and accompany Olwe across the sea to Valinor, after nosing around for a few years, I'd steal a ship and escape back to Middle Earth before the kinslaying (that way I'm safe, and I would have nice unsploit memories of Valinor) then spend the next three ages as one of Cirrdan's following-I could fight with him up the slopes of Mount Doom, accompany him during the ovethrow of Angmar, sneak into meetings of the White Council, sail around Arda at leisure (exploring the other cotinents such as the Burnt Lands of the Sun, and Numenor prior to its destruction) then catch the last ship from the havens back to Valinor.

It would a action packed, very long life, and it could shed some light on Cirdan's backstory and the mysterious Grey Havens.
malickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #134
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...I don't think I'd care to be a mortal in the first 3 Ages of Middle-earth. What with war, pestilence, drought and bad dentistry, it would be as miserable a life as a medieval serf or villein - a short life and an unmerry one, even if Tolkien painted a somewhat rosy picture. There is nothing gallant about wasting away from dysentery or gangrene.

I suppose I would prefer to be an Elf, as they were too noble for bowel movements.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #135
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Maybe not Morth..there are Quenya and Gnomish words for that and other surprising things...including louse..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote