The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Sindarin ruler?
Thingol 7 20.59%
Dior 2 5.88%
Elwing 0 0%
Celeborn 5 14.71%
Cirdan 14 41.18%
Amdir 1 2.94%
Amroth 0 0%
Oropher 0 0%
Thranduil 5 14.71%
Legolas 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Silly Poll: Sindar

Posting this as a poll at Elu Ancalime's request. His original message from the other thread:

Quote:
This is a kind of sequel to Fordim Hedgethistle's revival of the poll on Favorite High King of the Noldor.

Who is your favorite Sinda ruler? Feel free to advocate for lesser elves.

Personally, I particularly like Thingol. He is an old-school ruler (since he was one of the first). He dosnt let his daughter mess around with just any fellow, and he is passionate about his realm and the Sindar Culture.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I voted Cirdan, because he sort of keeps everything together quietly. He's like a link between the land and Sea, ME and Valinor, the far past and the 'modern' late Third and early Fourth ages. He has some kind of eternal presense and wisdom.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
I voted for Celeborn, because in spite of the movie's portrayal, I found him quite smart in the books, just not as in your face as Galadriel. Though, the only one on the list I can't stand at all is Elwing. She strikes me as a selfish brat, only concerned with herself, her possessions, and her husband at the cost of everything else - including her children.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBrooke View Post
I voted for Celeborn, because in spite of the movie's portrayal, I found him quite smart in the books, just not as in your face as Galadriel.
I almost voted for Celeborn for the same reasons, but he's a bit rash, and in LOTR he's kind of overshadowed by Galadriel. And he doesn't have the same presence as Cirdan. He's ancient, but not eternal.

Or, in other words, I just like Cirdan better as a character.

Quote:
Though, the only one on the list I can't stand at all is Elwing. She strikes me as a selfish brat, only concerned with herself, her possessions, and her husband at the cost of everything else - including her children.
I think so to. I mean, she has time to run away with the Silmaril, but she's OK with leaving Elrond and Elros to their fate...

But I like the connection with birds and Sea. It's kind of like a myth within a myth in a mythology. Whenever I look at Lottie's avvie, I think of Elwing...
Old 06-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Leaf

I might have missed it, but did we ever see Legolas as a ruler?
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by blantyr View Post
I might have missed it, but did we ever see Legolas as a ruler?
We don't actually see it, as in read that he did so and so as ruler, but it's stated in RotK that he founded and ruled over a colony of elves in Ithilien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I almost voted for Celeborn for the same reasons, but he's a bit rash, and in LOTR he's kind of overshadowed by Galadriel. And he doesn't have the same presence as Cirdan. He's ancient, but not eternal.

Or, in other words, I just like Cirdan better as a character.
Perfectly understandable that you like him better. I'll admit, the rashness is what draws me to Celeborn and Thranduil...out of the Third Age elves, they seem to be some of the few that aren't passive and weary of Middle-Earth. He didn't seem that overshadowed to me by Galadriel, though. After I finished the book, I remembered more of what he said, and had a impression of Galadriel. Cirdan didn't even register, other then that guy with the boats, who sent that one elf to the Council of Elrond.

Quote:
I think so to. I mean, she has time to run away with the Silmaril, but she's OK with leaving Elrond and Elros to their fate...

But I like the connection with birds and Sea. It's kind of like a myth within a myth in a mythology. Whenever I look at Lottie's avvie, I think of Elwing...
The worst thing is, it's not like she had any reason to think that they wouldn't be killed. Her own twin brothers were left to starve to death in the middle of the forest when Doriath was sacked. And really, I don't think that the people who originally got the Silmaril, Beren and Luthien, would have thought so kindly of her abandoning her children. I mean, maybe it's just me, but they didn't strike me as the kind of people that approved of abandoning small children to fend for themselves against warriors. Don't get me started on her dear in laws....

Last edited by LadyBrooke; 06-11-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Wrong Pronoun...;)
LadyBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #7
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
I voted for Thingol.

Of all the Elves who remained in Middle Earth, he alone had been to Amman, had met the Valar and had experienced the Light of the Two Trees. He exhibited all the atributes of the great Noldor princes (and all their faults) and had the love of his people, so much so that they gave up the chance of crossing the Sea to the Undying Lands with their fellow Elves.

Thingol also won the love of one of the Ainur, who took the form of an Elf to become his wife. There must have been something very special about him.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sharp his sword, high was his helm, The king of beech and oak and elm

No question - Thingol. He's by far the strongest character, even Celeborn and Círdan pale by comparison. What we see of Thranduil in The Hobbit is more or less a replica of Thingol in the Silmarillion (cf their underground dwellings in the middle of a great forest, their haughty dealing with the dwarves); Amroth has an interesting story, but we don't hear much about him as a ruler (same with Legolas), and Oropher and Amdir are mere historical footnotes.

Also because while he acts like an arrogant, overprotective jerk in the story of Beren and Lúthien, he shows his ability to learn from mistakes by becoming a loving foster-father to Túrin.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Cirdan wasn't flashy and haughty like Thingol, nor rustically gone-native like Thranduil, nor second fiddle like Celeborn (and we know who wore the pants in that family).

Cirdan was a faithful steward and protective of his people throughout the ages, and he had enough common sense and intuition to not only last from Cuivienen to the 4th Age in Middle-earth, but to also see the greatness of Gandalf, even giving up an Elven Ring in deference to one who could truly use it.

If there was one Elf I'd want to talk to in Middle-earth, it'd be Cirdan. He's seen it all.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
If there was one Elf I'd want to talk to in Middle-earth, it'd be Cirdan. He's seen it all.
Ditto.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know why, but Thranduil as a ruler has always had a special place in my heart. Next to him are Thingol and Celeborn.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Cirdan was a faithful steward and protective of his people throughout the ages, and he had enough common sense and intuition to not only last from Cuivienen to the 4th Age in Middle-earth, but to also see the greatness of Gandalf, even giving up an Elven Ring in deference to one who could truly use it.
A little boring, don't you think?

Just kidding. He's awesome, but I'd rather meet Ereinion.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #13
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Círdan, definitely Círdan.

I am generally not overly fond of the Sindar, and Thingol is probably my least favourite character in the entire Legendarium. Similarly Celeborn and Thranduil exhibit the kind of arrogance that borders on stupidity (I'm personally convinced that they call Celeborn 'the Wise' sarcastically), and they seem to have no social talents or tact to speak of.

Círdan, on the other hand, has been able to keep track on the big picture of what's going on in Middle-earth, and react accordingly. He's pretty much the one who has kept the elven act together while High Kings have risen and fallen. We don't hear about him as much, but he's still there, working in the shadows. He's awesome.

Plus he builds ships. Awesome.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 AM   #14
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, I am not sure if we can count Círdan as a Sindar, but I voted Thranduil. Oropher would have been okay as well, hadn't he slightly failed in his strategic calculations during the Last Alliance, resulting in the deaths of a few thousand Elves.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
I liked Thranduil. His forest realm seems cool, like even though it was dangerous in Mirkwood they'd throw parties in the woods. And when I consider it he seems to me to have inclinations similar to the Noldor who left Aman with his love of riches. I don't know that Thranduil wields the power that some of the other princes of the Elves do, both innate and according to the military and political prowess of his kingdom, but he seems like a descent ruler and his people had no problem drinking and being merry.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:48 AM   #16
malickfan
Pile O'Bones

malickfan has just left Hobbiton.
Defintely Cirdan, and here's why:

http://paulashwellreviews.wordpress....ien-fans-only/

Although I would have to say Thingol is perhaps a more interesting character.
malickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #17
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malickfan View Post
Although I would have to say Thingol is perhaps a more interesting character.
Yes, but he probably wouldn't take kindly to your mortal impudence!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Yes, but he probably wouldn't take kindly to your mortal impudence!
He seemed to be pretty lenient with Túrin. Although it's not clear to me now, the story. It seems like he really wanted to look out for him, and he elevated him to where other Elves got jealous of Túrin. So he's not all that bad with mortals, at least to allies.