The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #121
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
That was fun. Though, those who were Skyping seemed to have descended into madness by the time that I came 'round.

I shall definitely be doing that again!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #122
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I say!

This month's reading consisted of the encounter of Our Four Hobbits with Old Man Willow and Tom Bombadil, consisting of Loslote, Pitchwife, Laurinque, TGEW, Hookbill the Goomba and his kazoo, Eonwe, Thinlomien and Oddwen. I believe that Eonwe made recordings of the event, and may soon upload selected selections suitable for everyone's ears.

So this time afterwards we didn't get into the deep philosophical discussions of the deep places of the world like last time. Our topic was of subjects less keen and lofty in delight but deeper and nearer to mortal pants. I mean Heart.

It was amazing once again. This time next month quite a few of us will be involved in the visiting of our Finniship of the Ring, so the next time may be pushed way back.

I've talked with Pitch Tombadil, Eonwe, and Lommy before, but with Lotty, Rinky, TGEWy and Hooky I hadn't had the pleasure yet. Everyone was awesome and hilarious and very fun to talk with.

Last edited by Oddwen; 05-22-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #123
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
It was brilliant! It shone like a nuclear reactor in meltdown.

The best part was when Hookbill fixed Skype with is his sonic screwdriver. And when Eönwë uncloaked. I had to leave about half way through, so I'm not sure what madness everyone got up to after I left. If it was as mad as it was when I departed (and we were on a downward spiral of decreasing canonicity) then it must have been bedlam by the time it finally came to its timely demise.

Did you get to record the whole thing Eönwë? I must hear what happened next! Also TGEW and I think your accent is really posh.

Last edited by Laurinquë; 05-22-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Wisdom teeth
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #124
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ah, what a pity, what a pity I missed this one! Especially with such a special cast. But, well, my internet connection decided to pick yesterday of all days to die out, be repaired, or be on strike, whichever of it it was I am not sure. Alas! Hopefully next time then - and hopefully with good amount of people as well.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #125
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Sorry I missed it. I was at an unexpected wine tasting.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #126
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The Night of the Kazoo

The cast:

Lottie - narrator
Oddwen - Frodo, zither (?)
Eönwë - Sam, recording engineer
Hookbill - Merry, kazoo, gratuitous sound effects
Laurinquë - Pippin
Pitch - Tom Bombadil
Lommy - Goldberry

All of the above - additional weird sound effects, general mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
That was fun. Though, those who were Skyping seemed to have descended into madness by the time that I came 'round.
That would be presupposing we started somewhere else to descend from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë
The best part was when Hookbill fixed Skype with his sonic screwdriver. And when Eönwë uncloaked.
Not to forget Hookbill's musical autobiography; and the light-saber duel in Eönwë's shower; and the Gandalf limericks (utterly unsuitable for publication, alas). And everything else.

On a slightly more canonical note, we discovered that architecture in Middle-earth was way more advanced than is commonly recognized. Has anybody ever noticed that Tom's and Goldberry's home included a penthouse? (Go check, no kidding.)
Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #127
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
These sessions sound quite entertaining. I just started getting acquainted with Skype, so perhaps if I can figure it out and there's a next time....
Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #128
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
These sessions sound quite entertaining. I just started getting acquainted with Skype, so perhaps if I can figure it out and there's a next time....

Definitely! You're almost an honorary member, since anyone who can pronounce your name will gratuitously throw it into the conversation somewhere.

Also, om nom nom.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #129
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Definitely! You're almost an honorary member, since anyone who can pronounce your name will gratuitously throw it into the conversation somewhere. .
For some strange reason, that doesn't surprise me.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #130
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Not to forget Hookbill's musical autobiography; and the light-saber duel in Eönwë's shower; and the Gandalf limericks (utterly unsuitable for publication, alas). And everything else.
Unsuitable for publication on a family friendly site, you mean. They are perfectly suitable for publication in some place with lesser regulations and a love of uncloaking jokes. And I thought it was his toilet, not his shower...
Old 05-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #131
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Unsuitable for publication on a family friendly site, you mean. They are perfectly suitable for publication in some place with lesser regulations and a love of uncloaking jokes. And I thought it was his toilet, not his shower...
I thought that he had thrown his computer in the Thames!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #132
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I thought that he had thrown his computer in the Thames!
No, that was Hookbill throwing Eonwe's dead body in a resevoir to hide the evidence. They can't prove anything.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #133
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Quote:
And I thought it was his toilet, not his shower...

Oh no, it was definitely lightsabers in the shower. While skydiving.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #134
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Oh no, it was definitely lightsabers in the shower. While skydiving.
Oh, right! I'd forgotten the skydiving part. Was this before or after a train ran over his house?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 AM   #135
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Yay Ibrin! Another drone for the collective! Resistance is futile.

Gwath, never mind, I just hope the wine was good.

Quote:
No, that was Hookbill throwing Eonwe's dead body in a resevoir to hide the evidence. They can't prove anything.
Didn't he end up burying the corpse in the sky because they were least likely to look there?
*quickly ducks away lest Esty mistake him for a tasty nut*
Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #136
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Oh, right! I'd forgotten the skydiving part. Was this before or after a train ran over his house?
Was that the same train that ran over Lommy and Oddwen's houses? Or were they attacked by a stampede of oliphaunts? That's what it sounded like to me.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #137
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Definitely! You're almost an honorary member, since anyone who can pronounce your name will gratuitously throw it into the conversation somewhere.
Hey I did that last time I participated! (For the record, I should also be able to write it correctly. )

Anyway sounds like you had fun, I would have liked to join but I wasn't anywhere near a computer so no can do. Looking forward to hearing the recordings, though!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #138
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
A quick note first- The last software that Oddwen linked sort of worked, but because it messed up my Skype (made the call just sound like short blocks of sound, etc., and I think this happened to Oddwen too (and it may have had a virus), I had to uninstall it, so the large files of sound containing most of the call(s) are gone, and seem to have overwritten by the software as a large act of revenge so I can't even recover it).

Anyway, as I didn't realise this software had been working until the end, I recorded with the free one that I found, but it only records 15-minute sections, and at first didn't record my voice. So there are bits and pieces of the call that I do have.

OK... so here are some of the more... normal... recordings:

LOTR reading 1 (The Old Forest) - I was in this one, but for some reason the software only started recording my voice at a later time, so there are a few gaps in it.
LOTR reading 2 (In the House of Tom Bombadil)- I'm not in here, so it hasn't got any strange gaps

General discussion (before it went... erm...)
Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #139
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Quote:
The last software that Oddwen linked sort of worked, but because it messed up my Skype (made the call just sound like short blocks of sound, etc., and I think this happened to Oddwen too (and it may have had a virus)
Aww, dangit, sorry. It had been recommended in a couple of places. Hopefully next time we will have the Magic Goomba and his Recording Computer of Doom to assist us.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #140
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I think I've got some software that will work. I'll probably have to test it out before hand, though. But hopefully...
Old 06-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #141
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Lottie said something about having another Skype call sometime near the end of June. When exactly is this set to occur? Or was that decided on at all?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #142
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Lottie said something about having another Skype call sometime near the end of June. When exactly is this set to occur? Or was that decided on at all?
I think we were considering having another one around the 25th again...for me to be there, though, it'd have to be before the 28th. And I don't think the Finns will be able to make it at all.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #143
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
They probably won't, but I will 25th is Friday this month, so that would be the "default" date - if people preferred e.g. 26th, however, the schedule could be changed accordingly... it will be nice to get as many people as possible
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #144
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
They probably won't, but I will 25th is Friday this month, so that would be the "default" date - if people preferred e.g. 26th, however, the schedule could be changed accordingly... it will be nice to get as many people as possible
Hmm. If it is on the 26th I have to pick up Lauri from the airport. I guess it would depend on what time it happened. I might be able to do the 25th, though. Not sure. . .
Old 06-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #145
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

25th or 26th would both be feasible for me.
IIRC Oddwen mentioned she'd be meeting with the Finns around that time, so I guess she won't be available either. Don't know about Eönwë, but I don't really see him passing it up if he can possibly make it.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #146
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I'm pretty sure both dates work for me. And really, Pitchie, I can't see anyone passing it up if they can possibly make it!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #147
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Maybe we could do it on the 27th?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #148
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Maybe we could do it on the 27th?
The 27th would be good, though I'm not sure how Tabby and I will do it when we're at the same location. I suppose you'll just have to put up with a shared microphone.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #149
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I'd be busy on the 27th - friend from Virginia coming up, get to see her once a year, all that fun stuff.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #150
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I'd be busy on the 27th - friend from Virginia coming up, get to see her once a year, all that fun stuff.
Oh dear. Then we shant do it then.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #151
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
27th would be the only good date for me that weekend...
Old 06-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #152
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

So, are we doing another conversation tomorrow, the 27th? It would be good to know.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #153
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Oops - I'm afraid this whole business has rather slipped from my mind in the last couple of days. I won't be able to hang around as long as the last times, but if there's something happening not too late in the American afternoon/European evening, do give me a ring!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #154
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Oops - I'm afraid this whole business has rather slipped from my mind in the last couple of days. I won't be able to hang around as long as the last times, but if there's something happening not too late in the American afternoon/European evening, do give me a ring!
Ooops, the same. I actually wanted to post a reminder here a few days ago, but I forgot it... so here we go. Well, there is still a possibility to do something... but not sure how many people could participate and all... and when... and so on.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #155
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Well, I'm here, if anybody else is.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #156
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Well, I'm going to pick Lauri up from the airport today and if we did something today, I couldn't do it until after 15.30 Washington time (or 23.30 Britain time).
So were we doing something?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #157
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
So were we doing something?
Not yet, it seems.
Quote:
Well, I'm going to pick Lauri up from the airport today and if we did something today, I couldn't do it until after 15.30 Washington time (or 23.30 Britain time).
I'm afraid it'll get rather late for me then, unless we make it a quickie - say till 01.00 GMT at the latest; but you can always go on without me, of course.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #158
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I'm going to give it a shot.
Can't promise much as there are some internet problems in the village, but I'll see what can be achieved!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #159
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Not yet, it seems.

I'm afraid it'll get rather late for me then, unless we make it a quickie - say till 01.00 GMT at the latest; but you can always go on without me, of course.
If we were going to do something, who would be involved?

EDIT: Are Pitchwife and Hookbill the only ones who would be able to do it now?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #160
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
If we were going to do something, who would be involved?
At the moment it looks like you, me and Hookbill, and possibly Legate, too. TM said he'd have time today, but I've no idea how to contact him on Skype.