The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #241
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
So far it looks like it's Agan (+skip +Greenie?), Lottie, you and me (unless I've forgotten someone); sounds good enough to start with, doesn't it?
Hook said that he'd be good for Sundays. Also, I could probably persuade Eönwë and Lauri to join our madness. In fact, I don't know that they would actually need persuading.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #242
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The time sounds good, and I could also try to get Volo here. Do you have any suggestions about what to read?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #243
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm... If all of the above actually make it, we'd have a complete Fellowship for something from FotR - like, say, The Ring Goes South or the Moria chapters. Now that would be awesome!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #244
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Moria sounds lovely, the Ring Goes South is good to read too. Or we could always read the first chapter of FotR, of course.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #245
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I might be a bit late, but I should be able to make it.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #246
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I should be around. Will probably be able to record if everyone is okay with that.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:33 AM   #247
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well of course I'll try to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I have stuffs Sunday morning, but after one-ish I should be available.
What, so that's about 10pm here and midnight in Finland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I guess that any time we use would be fine, just as long as it's not Eönwë Standard Time.
Hey!

Quote:
He does not operate on GMT, but his own time zone. The rumour is that he doesn't actually ever sleep, but is always up and at his computer.
Remember that any time I'm up late, Pitch and the Finns are up two hours later!

So yeah, we could start at 20:00 or 21:00 GMT and wait for Lottie to join in before we start our reading.

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-07-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #248
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I should be around. Will probably be able to record if everyone is okay with that.
Good. We'll actually have someone to record our madness this time, probably!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Well of course I'll try to be there.
Good, good. If you weren't there I'd have to sell your dirtiest secrets to the press.

Quote:
Hey!
You brought this upon yourself. I'm not the one Skyping to the wee hours of the morning.

Quote:
So yeah, we could start at 20:00 or 21:00 GMT and wait for Lottie to join in before we start our reading.
Sounds like a good idea. Last time we didn't start reading until Lottie got back as well. I think that she is conspiring against us.

In other words, I'm really excited!

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 08-07-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Oh you know, stuff.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #249
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So TGEW and I (+Greenie, Volo & skip) are online. How about you others?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #250
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm on line. May be called away soon, but will do what I can.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #251
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Present.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #252
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Update

The three of us Finns + the Swede are online as well as TGEW, Pitchwife, Eönwë and Loslote. Hookbill & Lauri should join us shortly. Haven't started yet so if somebody is still interested, post here or add me to your contacts on Skype.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #253
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Today's call went well. We read a good bit of The Ring Goes South and didn't spend most of our time talking about Doctor Who, which is an improvement from last time. We also talked a fair deal about Phantom and Alien. I think that it was generally agreed upon that we liked Volo's Gimli. He sounded quite rough. Also, LEGOS!

Nobody recorded it this time. We'll try harder next.

EDIT: That PT that we did, were we going to post it on the 'Downs, you people who were involved?

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 08-08-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Drainage problems
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #254
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Actually, the reading aloud of the Book was one of the best readings I've done so far. The roles were as follows: Agan - Frodo; Greenie - Legolas; Volo - Gimli; Skip - Aragorn; Hookbill - Boromir; Pitchie - Gandalf; Lauri - Merry; TGEW - Pippin; Steve - Sam; and me - narrator. Everyone was amazing! We (well, some of us) wanted to do a quick game of live-action WW, but couldn't figure out the logistics, and we ended up doing a quick game of Paper Telephone, which was rather epic. We were joined at the beginning by TGWBS, and it was pretty awesome to meet such a legendary Downer! [/shameless fawning]
Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #255
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
"So where is that Paper Telephone?" I hear you cry.

Well, look no further:

I started us off with this sentence:

Trouble at the house of Tom Bombadil

Which Lottie thought would be best represented by:

Lauri, on the other hand, thought that:
The floating rock of insanity scares stick-man.

Which Pitch interpreted as:

This was all too much for TGEW, who thought that:
The strange flying head chases the man whose head is disappearing.

Which Hookbill thought meant:

To be continued...

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-09-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 AM   #256
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

While Lottie thought that this would be more appropriate:
A ghostly head chases its body around a park.

Lauri thought that this was closer to the truth:

While Pitch, on the other hand, thought that this was going on:
Lisbeth Salander lost her head trying to run away from a rabid Huorn

Which TGEW could only explain through this picture:

Our Paper Telephone of super-speed drew to a close when it was left to Hookbill sum up the insanity with this fateful sentence:
Exploded tree syndrome appeared to be contagious, much to the annoyance of red haired stickman.

(Note: Photobucket wasn't working, so I had to upload the pictures through tinypic. I'll re-upload them through photobucket later.)

Anyway, as usual, great discussion and reading from everyone involved!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #257
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Hahaha you people are crazy. I'm sorry we missed the Paper Telephone but it was quite late and Volo had to catch his last bus home.

I think I've only taken part twice before, but this was one of the best readings - not only because it was one of the longest. I love the combination of Greenie & Volo as Legolas and Gimli (they've done it before back when Brinn was in Finland) - Volo's exaggerated Russian accent and Greenie's smug elvishness. And I'm sorry the hobbits got so few lines because Lauri & TGEW made a great Merry and Pippin.

Interestingly enough, skip heard Hookbill's voice for the first time when only we, he and TGEW were present, and he asked how come TGEW sounds more British than Hook.

Looking forward to the next reading.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #258
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Er... are we still doing this?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #259
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

This is great, we have to continue. Just have to set a date. Would you like to do that, Eönwë?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #260
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I don't have time this Saturday & Sunday, but everything else should work fine.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #261
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I think, if nothing else, we should prepare beforehand for the 22nd September. I mean, if there has ever been a date worth making a reading, it would be this, just like the celebration of the end of the War was, where it all started - is it possible that we have first read such a long time ago? So if nothing else, I say that I would like to participate in something on that day. The only downside for some might be that it is Wednesday, but well... what do ye people say?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:32 AM   #262
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I had a thought about perhaps doing something on one of the Oxonmoot days, if I can drag anyone around a computer on, say, the Friday night?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #263
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ooh, our own Telerin Circle, Hookbill?! That would be fun!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #264
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Oxonmoot doesn't have any days actually on the 22nd, does it? Then we could do both ideas at the same time. Alternatively, if we want to have a call on the 22nd and with all of the Oxonmooters we could always do two calls...
Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #265
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Sadly, I'd be very much not available on a Wednesday. Probably not Friday, either...if we do something on a weekend, I'll hopefully be able to make it, though.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #266
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Sadly, I'd be very much not available on a Wednesday. Probably not Friday, either...if we do something on a weekend, I'll hopefully be able to make it, though.
There are five other days in the week, you know.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #267
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
There are five other days in the week, you know.
I know...and I won't be able to make it to any of them. School beckons.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #268
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I know...and I won't be able to make it to any of them. School beckons.
Oh, well that sucks. School takes time and energy. How silly of it.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #269
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Would anyone be available this weekend? Somewhere in there, the weekends got switched to my full-time-job-time.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #270
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm ready for the usual madness and anarchy, so long that is isn't during between 9.00-15.00 (GMT -7) during the work week. I would prefer a weekend really, but I could probably do anything in the evening on the other days of the week.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:41 AM   #271
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

If there are still enough people interested in doing something tonight, I'd be available around the usual time.

On the other hand (or independently), I have to agree with Legate that the 22nd is an absolute must-date - although it'd be highly awkward for me in the middle of the work week. But if that's not feasible, what about the weekend after the 22nd?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #272
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I'm around now, and probably will be for a while.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #273
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

If we did do something tonight I wouldn't be able to be involved. I'm engaged. It will take a couple of hours.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #274
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Poke me when you're doing something and I'll try to be around.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #275
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

We should set a date in stone then. We've got a couple dates, let's Skype on one of them!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #276
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
The weekend after the 22nd is off-limits for me But 22nd itself would be great, I mean really, just for a little while, shouldn't be a problem... Or are there other ideas?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #277
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I'm fine with the 22nd. The only problem for those who actually have obligations is that it is in the middle of the week.

This time we need to actually record the call. Whoever has the technical know how/programme to do it should look into it, please.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #278
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

So it's two days to the Bagginses' Birthday, and it would really be a disgrace to let a date like this pass Skypeless. I definitely won't be able to stick around for the usual nocturnal madness this time, but I should be able to participate in the reading itself, if we don't start too late (and if we can find me a role that allows for occasional coughing, as I've got a cold at the moment that doesn't behave like it's going to leave me anytime soon).

As for choice of text, I think A Long-expected Party would obviously be ideal for this day, if we can get enough people together (I'm not sure how much roles there are in it, but my gut says lots). Or alternatively, with a smaller cast, Three is Company (we haven't done that yet, have we?)? What do you all think?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #279
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Sounds great. I think definitely something should be done, and I mean, an hour can be spent for that in any case, and it should be worth it. I don't know when the US Downers can participate, what time is good for that; but myself, I don't want to stay up TOO late. About the time when I am posting this, for example, would be still fine: I think it's about 9 PM GMT. An hour here or there is okay...

So, who would be interested?

And as for the text, I am not sure if the Long Expected Party is "readable", but perhaps there are some good parts with more characters. Three Is A Company sounds also good, if we couldn't find anything - good idea, Pitch!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #280
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I'm probably available.