The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #41
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Maybe we should look for someone saying "I'm the Cobbler wolves please don't kill me". That strikes me as the only coded message really worth sending, but I'm not really getting that from Morsul's doggerel or Boro's clickety clacking.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #42
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I wanted to write a serious post but I realised pretty soon there's really nothing to go on by, so it ended up being 85% jokey. But I did pay attention to G55 apologies-in-advance and to your post which could have included a coded message. (To be fair, so could have Morsul's poetic first post, but yours struck me more that way.)
I suppose it could, but I'm a bit more hit you right over the head with coded messages. I got a kick out of the phantom last time with his "Boro's 5th letter of his 1st sentence is an I, then the 7th letter of his 4th sentence is an S. This is clearly a message!"

Nah, it's more like what an ordinary day we're having, don't you think? That's all the complicated my head and messages get.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #43
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
I suppose it could, but I'm a bit more hit you right over the head with coded messages. I got a kick out of the phantom last time with his "Boro's 5th letter of his 1st sentence is an I, then the 7th letter of his 4th sentence is an S. This is clearly a message!"

Nah, it's more like what an ordinary day we're having, don't you think? That's all the complicated my head and messages get.
Mostly it looked like you could be making an opening for future coded messages involving reindeer speech. But I anyway agree with you about it being a very ordinary Day this far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber
Maybe we should look for someone saying "I'm the Cobbler wolves please don't kill me". That strikes me as the only coded message really worth sending, but I'm not really getting that from Morsul's doggerel or Boro's clickety clacking.
If you're looking for that, then Coppermirror's first post seems the most fruitful, but I'm really grasping at straws here.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #44
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sally - Little Cindy Lou Who: Showed up, said next to nothing. Has been crying for Suzy all day. It would be good to see another post from her, even if it's banter.

Shasta - Jack Frost: Was delayed by making Suzy's grave arrangements. Nothing has caught his eye, and he thinks Legate is the only one who's said anything of substance. I can't blame him for thinking nothing's caught his eye when nothing much has caught mine yet either.

G55 - Rudolph: Can't participate much toDay due to real life, but will vote. Wants to make a snowflake monument. Would a Christmas-hating wolf be willing to suggest that as cover for their flinty-hearted ways?

Coppermirror - The Ghost of Christmas Present: Having lots of fun with banter! But also getting down to business now.

Steve - Valkotukka:...Has he actually posted at all? I don't think he has.

Morsul - The Grinch: Presented us with a lovely rhyme. One day he'll adore Christmas cheer, just you wait. Makes several joking comments and thinks this will be a silly game. I certainly hope it will be properly jolly.

He complains that Legate was singling him out, and makes some first impression comments about four players, there not being enough to go on for the rest.

Nerwen - The Sugar Plum Fairy: Shared reindeer language interpretations with us, and suggested through that that Boromir is a hooved wolf. Could be nothing but a joke. Could be an opportunistic Seer trying to hide an accusation, but probably isn't. Could be a wolf or Cobbler trying to look a little Seer-ish.

Zil - Frosty: Thinks that speculation based on nothing will only harm us and those of us who are in the Christmas spirit. I am very much a Christmas Spirit, so I sympathise with his views. But even so, we must analyse things. It's the weighing up of value that we must use our Christmas cheer for.

Boro - Olive the Other Reindeer: Provided an excellent opportunity for others to interpret him. Gave a list of comments on various people, which may potentially be useful to look back on when we have some hard data but right now is difficult to read.

McCaber - Tiny Tim: Cannot get far on his crutches. On general principles I'm against lynching Tiny Tim after all the effort my brothers have been to in order to melt Scrooge's heart and incidentally save Tim in the process.

Lommy - Paksu: Interprets Boro's reindeer-speak as an admission of Cobblerhood. This could potentially have a deeper meaning, but frankly it's beyond me right now. Naturally the same things applying to Nerwen's post apply to her. She then gives a quick list with little comments on people. It may or may not be useful later.

Legate - Santa Claus: Wants people to post more than banter. Which is reasonable, although I must say that I have no intentions of dropping the banter entirely at any point of the game, since I have a fun Ghost job this time. (I mean, the role description for that one is hovering around and making vaguely ominous statements! I can't pass it up.)

Legate Claus wants us to look for Cobblers and for people trying to contact them, and thinks we should look at the Boro-Nerwen-Lommy exchange. Which, again, is reasonable enough.

So in summary, I really don't think we have anything of value to go on and I'm rather aghast at the prospect of picking people based either on what looks like meaningless banter or on who has failed to post much. The only thing I can think of doing right now is going entirely by gut instinct, which is a poor substitute for decent analysis. I'll try looking through things again and hope that something jumps out at me, or that there'll be further posts of interest.

Ahem. My ghostly calculations say that toDay's choice will either set us upon a path to destruction, or to good cheer and hearty meals, but that the likelihood of the latter is smaller. We must be wary...wary...

Edit: Cross-posted with everyone on this page and the last of the previous page. Beware, beware of cross-posting!
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #45
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Galadriel had same thought as me regarding Boro which scaresme not furry scary just in general Galadriel might want get checked if she thinks like me... shudders
Like asylum kind of "checked"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I've looked into the matter. However, I don't think speculation of any real meaning would be useful at this point, and it could be damaging, at least to those in the Christmas spirit...
Damaging? In the sense that they won't have time to reply to it?

Personally I just find it useless to go in an endless cycle that doesn't yield anything.

Suspicion/gut-feeling list to follow shortly.

EDIT: xed with Cop
Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #46
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sorry everyone, I was out on the ice flats when- What is going on? Is that Suzy? [/IC]

Sorry, I've had limited time toDay, but now I'm here. Doesn't look like much has been said so far, but I think I'll give it a reread.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #47
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
After skimming/reading again, the only thing that's really caught my eye is, as per usual, the way G55 has of appearing overly-helpful on the first day. I don't think I'll be basing a vote on it, though - I'm pretty sure she's been lynched many times for the same thing, only to be innocent.

This is a puzzler. I need to go write down my thoughts. Where, you ask? Why, in frost, on windowpanes, of course. Tis tradition.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV

Last edited by Shastanis Althreduin; 12-22-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: X'ed with Eonwe.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #48
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay, my brain just isn't working and I should sleep, and besides I have Agan and Volo in my room trying to keep up a discussion...

So

++Inzil

("No, don't vote him!" says Agan. "He's nice and he looks like me!" Sorry mate, you're not playing, your comments don't count.)

My reasons: I figured Zil's been busy, but he gives a very lazy impression. As if he didn't have to catch wolves and he could just afford commenting this and that, mostly in bantery tone. That's the best I have for toDay.

edit: xed with Eönwë (*waves*) and Shasta
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #49
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Yeah, Cobbler-hinting is useful, but like you, I haven't seen anything noteworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Damaging? In the sense that they won't have time to reply to it?
Damaging if you go trying to openly work out if someone's writing in code, and they aren't the Cobbler.

x/d with Shasta and Lommy
Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #50
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, glad that it seems at least a prompt to talk made something start happening.

I am getting some general ideas about people, which is good, if I am supposed to vote in the next hour or so...

Sally - Who?
Shasta - appears but does not say much, hope he gets back to talk more now that there are things he can respond to...
G55 - I might actually find her behavior a bit suspicious, because what she did was the initial random banter just like everyone, but then at some point she started posting something that started to look like something of substance, but in fact it looked more like forced way of saying something and being "non-commited" at the same time (or ending up sort of sweeping the things she was talking about under the carpet, reverting to the fun-part with the sort of "but forgot I said anything" tone, and not trying to stir any discussion or anything, which could be of possible fear of getting herself in the middle of discussion). It just seems to me on first sight markingly different from the G55 I remember.
Coppermirror - I have no personal experience with her (him? it?), but seems, well, like a "thinking" person, I am probably not going to vote it yet, at least not before I learn something more... so far, no problems though
Steve - strangely absent.
Morsul - actually, since I know him, I *think* you can call his behavior as trying to be active one, even if objectively, he did not contribute much. But in any case, does not strike me in any sinister manner, no.
Nerwen - actually pretty much like herself...
Zil - said nothing much, this far; I would actually have expected him to be more vocal. That is also somehow unusual thing.
Boro - ditto. He posted more, but 99% of it was just banter. I would have expected more initiative on his part.
McCaber - hmm, seems to have a slightly slow start, but then, seems to think independantly, which is a positive sign. So actually looking quite good to me for now (of course, with the little we have to base thoughts on...)
Lommy - now posting, and in fact, possibly from start things which looked like attempts to post something possibly substantial... though of course, e.g. her comment about Reindeer-jingling being a Cobbler thing was a thing a Wolf-Lommy might have said too because she would have known people would have expected it from an innocent Lommy etc etc... but I don't have any really bad vibes from her style of playing otherwise.

I would really appreciate seeing more of the not-too-much-active-yet people, but let's see if there's time for it (and if they appear).

EDIT: x-ed with G55, Steve, Shasta, Lommy and Zil
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #51
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Gut feeling list

Shiny red nose feeling:
Shasta
Zil

Dull red nose feeling:
Morsul
Cop
Nerwen
Lommy

Wet and cold nose feeling:
Legate
Boro

No feeling:
Sally
Steve
Cabbie 

Now some of these gut-feelings don't exactly correspond to what my brain says, something I will get to in a moment - as soon as I reskim the thread again nd possibly make a summary.

I have to say that while Lommy's vote explanation seemed lousy at first glance, I'm quite impressed with it, considering how little there is to go on from. That is probably the most reasonable thing toDay.

Summary, here I come!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #52
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Boro - ditto. He posted more, but 99% of it was just banter. I would have expected more initiative on his part.
I protest this characterization. First post yes. The rest though...not banter at all. I suppose compared to your posts it is 99% banter, but that must make posts from others indefinitely banter?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #53
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I protest this characterization. First post yes. The rest though...not banter at all. I suppose compared to your posts it is 99% banter, but that must make posts from others indefinitely banter?
It does. But the point is, you, the way I know you, are more to the Nog-side than to the xyzzy-side, if you get my meaning (for those players who don't know: xyzzy was a person famous for playing in several games, basically posting one post per day if ever, if that post contained a vote, it was quite random, and so on...). I would have expected you to poke people into actually talking, yet your posts give the impression that effectively, until the point I asked for some substance in posting, you seemed happy with continuing ICly until DL. Or in other words (if I say it in a bit exaggerated way), I would have expected *you* to say "hey people, start saying something" instead of waiting for *me* to do it.

Such behavior wouldn't seem strange to me in the case of, say, sally, but in yours, it does.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #54
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yeah, where has sally been? She hasn't said anything about needing to be absent toDay.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #55
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

People I'm currently considering voting for:

G55 the Reindeer. Well. I wasn't entirely joking when I suggested that we examined the "Christmas cheer" statements from people. I wondered above whether a Christmas-hating wolf would suggest a snow monument for Suzy Snowflake, and actually, reflecting on that, I think one might. Yes, I know this is super flimsy reasoning. Right now I'm not getting any feelings of "G55 is innocent" from her comments.

Inzil the Snowman. I feel uneasy about Inzil's comments, but I can't put my finger on why, and don't want to make a mistake. He suggested that analysing things too much at this point could be damaging, which is true, especially for the Boro-Nerwen-Lommy thing he was talking about. But we have to analyse based on what we have in front of us, or not at all, so there's no choice. Maybe it was his suggestion that it would harm the Christmas spirit that's bothering me.

I'll give a list of suspicions. It's very flimsy and based on gut feelings, and my gut feelings aren't usually accurate, but it's better to put something on the table. The more people who do this, the better the information everyone will have toMorrow. I suggest that most of us should do this.

Not at all suspicious of:
Nobody except myself.

Not particularly worried about at present (but will examine further before voting):
Boro the Reindeer
Morsul Tim
Lommy Paksu

Feeling vaguely uneasy about:
Shasta Frost
Nerwen the Fairy
Legate Claus

Feeling quite uneasy about:
G55 the Reindeer
Inzil the Snowman

Extremely suspicious of:
Nobody, unfortunately.

Nothing much to judge by yet:
Sally Who
Eonwe Valkotukka

Edit: cross-posted with G55, Boro, Legate, McCaber.

Last edited by Coppermirror; 12-22-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #56
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I have to say that while Lommy's vote explanation seemed lousy at first glance, I'm quite impressed with it, considering how little there is to go on from. That is probably the most reasonable thing toDay.
Actually, I have to agree. Lommy's been rather innocentish, and for a Day 1 vote it's not bad, considering she's right. I have been in a rather bantery mode, though it's partly from not being home a great deal toDay and just checking in whenever. There's one or two others that might seem to fit the same bill though.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #57
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Such behavior wouldn't seem strange to me in the case of, say, sally, but in yours, it does.
It could just depend on when an idea comes to me...if I'm staring at no new posts, thus no new info to input, can't really prod, right? But an idea has come to me...Here's the player list:

Quote:
Sally - Little Cindy Lou Who
Shasta - Jack Frost
G55 - Rudolph
Coppermirror - The Ghost of Christmas Present
Steve - Valkotukka
Morsul - The Grinch
Nerwen - The Sugar Plum Fairy
Zil - Frosty
McCaber - Tiny Tim
Lommy - Paksu
Legate - Santa Claus
Myself removed, because it's a hypothetical that logically can't involve me. So here's the hypothetical...

You're tied in votes with the person below you on the list (In this case, Legate, you're at the bottom, so instead it would be sally). I have the last vote, what would you say to me (based on what's taken place so far today) to convince me not to vote for you, and instead to lynch sally? (Anyone else who wants to apply this hypothetical, feel free...Lommy you're tied with Legate, I have the last vote...why should I vote to lynch Legate and not you?...etc)
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #58
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

And crap...forgot Lommy voted...
Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #59
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
You're tied in votes with the person below you on the list (In this case, Legate, you're at the bottom, so instead it would be sally). I have the last vote, what would you say to me (based on what's taken place so far today) to convince me not to vote for you, and instead to lynch sally? (Anyone else who wants to apply this hypothetical, feel free...Lommy you're tied with Legate, I have the last vote...why should I vote to lynch Legate and not you?...etc)
Why not, I'll apply this too. We might get some extra info from people if a bunch of us do this. Or we might not, but we have very little to go by anyway.

So for me, that means that I'd be tied on votes with Eonwe. I would say that you shouldn't vote for me because I'm actively participating, and Eonwe, for whatever reason, hasn't said much yet.

But Boro, why don't you try this too? That means that you need to look at the hypothetical situation of why people shouldn't vote for you in the event of a tie between you and McCaber. I'd like to hear it.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #60
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun
Oh dear me. Poor Suzy! I start to melt just thinking about it!
Please do me a favor, and keep an eye out for the sun. It and I don't get along so well.
All right, but that snowman will have to have a hat of their own. This one's taken!
Not sure why... but read this in a dixie southern woman's voice and it was Hilarious
It does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
So otherwise, as for more practical questions... maybe one thing that should be cleared about the rules (maybe the Moddess should actually answer this, if she happens to be reading?), the Cobbler does count in the tally as innocent or as Wolf?
I think there's been.... oh, maybe one game ever where the Cobbler counted as a wolf. (Maybe I'm wrong, as we're now up to WWC, so probably pretty much anything you could think of has happened by now.) But still– it would be such an exceptional thing I'm wondering why you feel the need to ask at all. It's like asking, "Can the Ranger kill people?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror
Nerwen - The Sugar Plum Fairy: Shared reindeer language interpretations with us, and suggested through that that Boromir is a hooved wolf. Could be nothing but a joke. Could be an opportunistic Seer trying to hide an accusation, but probably isn't. Could be a wolf or Cobbler trying to look a little Seer-ish.
Translation: "Hey, wolves, look what I found!" No, really, are you sure you're not the Cobbler of Christmas Present?

EDIT:X'd with Coppermirror.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #61
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
It could just depend on when an idea comes to me...if I'm staring at no new posts, thus no new info to input, can't really prod, right?
But to me, the idea came. It really is not about saying something brilliant. It is about actually making an effort to say, or make people say something. I mean really, this has been one of the laziest Day Ones I have seen in WW, I really don't want to sound like Nog, it's all fun, we're waiting for Christmas, but if we are to lynch somebody...

Anyway, as for your list, well! That's actually not a bad idea for Day 1. Even though it has gaps (for instance, like you said, my place would be to say why not me but sally - then obviously I would say "she hasn't been around at all", which pretty much is an undisputable argument), it's a nice one. It'd have been even better if you had posted something like that half a Day ago and not two hours before DL (or how much exactly it is)... though it is true that it might give some good info even in the upcoming few hours, and also feedback for future Days to look back at...

Anyway, now I should say, that however I appreciate Boro's effort, I must say something strikes me as false in that whole behavior (up to the "I forgot that Lommy voted" - for some reason, that struck me as false, I don't know why, but it just seems that way). Partially also I agree with Copper, why don't you also play this game, even though you have removed yourself (rather illogically) from the list (if it's meant to be for everyone, there is no need for making a "subjective" list if everyone is supposed to try it anyway).

EDIT: x-ed with Nerwen
Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #62
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

The first discussion-worthy thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
"okokclak onk owk clik ockockwonk"

translates to

"I am a werewolf disguised as a terrier disguised as a reindeer. Please lynch me before I die of confusion."

Well, well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror View Post
Is that so? Borolive, what have you to say for yourself?
Quote:
Oh, really? My book gives:

"I am a cobbler disguised as an ordo disguised as a reindeer. Wolves please not my future use of reindeer language."
Then there's Lommy's 85% serious list, out of which this is the main (only?) serious thing:

Quote:
G55 - Rudolph
Already making apologies and excuses. How furry! Oh, I guess reindeer have furs... or do you call them pelts? Hides?
Then there's Boro's list, out of which these are probably the most serious comments:

Quote:
Why so seriously unserious?

G55 - the snowflake snowman monument combined with

Lommy - List of people post is about as telling as mine. But where mine is seriously acknowledged as limitted to start and help me categorizing people (yep, sorry I fit people into personal compartments). I can't tell if Lommy's is a serious attempt to look unserious and random. Or if it's an unserious attempt to start the serious suspicion train a moving.

Coppermirror - What do I say about Nerwen's translation? It's quite wrong, but as the Sugar Plum Fairy I imagine she went for the literal translation just looking at a "Reindeer to Fairy dictionary." She clearly did not pick up the slight phonetic alterations between the ock and ok which significantly changes the meaning.
Quote:
And somehow I just stopped mid thought here...should be combined with a "I won't be here, but I kinda will" first post. Because as far as I know, reindeer don't have construction skills, it's why we have elves. [referring to his comment above about me]
Can't tell how serious he is. But he seems to rearrange Lommy's words about me (and I happen to be the only common serious comment).

Legate urges people to post opinions and looks for Cobblers and people who reply to Cobbler comments.

Morsul's reaction to everything and especially Legate's comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Why'd I get singled out? Given Boro's hinting style I had a legitimate idea he might have been hining... with reindeer calls I don't know, it was a thought ad I shared it.

So far
Boro seemingpretty tame
Thin tosed out some general feelings in what looks like a genuine attempt to get the ball rolling.
Legate This post seems like a good a jumping point as any
Galadriel had same thought as me regarding Boro which scaresme not furry scary just in general Galadriel might want get checked if she thinks like me... shudders

everyone else not enugh to say much about.
I think the "singling out" is a good point, but what does suspicion of hinting have to do with it?... Sometimes I have trouble separating your ideas, Morsul.

Now as I'm reading I see that whenever people say "Christmas spirit" I get confused if they are being IC or if they mean RL Xmas preparations.

Quote:
If you're looking for that, then Coppermirror's first post seems the most fruitful, but I'm really grasping at straws here.
This actually stands out in a negative way. It's like Lommy is saying take a good look at Cop, but I'm not having any part in that suspicion! - but in a less exaggerated way. By the way, I can't see anything that special in that post. An I just being thick?

Cop's suspicion list. Semi-IC. No real suspicions. Her own summary:

Quote:
So in summary, I really don't think we have anything of value to go on and I'm rather aghast at the prospect of picking people based either on what looks like meaningless banter or on who has failed to post much. The only thing I can think of doing right now is going entirely by gut instinct, which is a poor substitute for decent analysis. I'll try looking through things again and hope that something jumps out at me, or that there'll be further posts of interest.
Lommy's vote for Zil, because

Quote:
My reasons: I figured Zil's been busy, but he gives a very lazy impression. As if he didn't have to catch wolves and he could just afford commenting this and that, mostly in bantery tone. That's the best I have for toDay.
Legate's suspicion-list post is wishy-washy and inconclusive.

Cop, while IC is quite fine, can you please separate it from your serious content? IC is fun, but not when I can't figure out if you're serious.

OK, I see people have posted since (#55 onwards), but it took me a real long time with lots of interruptions to finish this. I'll comment on the next posts separately.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #63
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Translation: "Hey, wolves, look what I found!" No, really, are you sure you're not the Cobbler of Christmas Present?
Very sure, thank you. But you commenting on that and trying to make it look like a signal does give me something extra to analyse about whether or not you're the Cobbler or a wolf, given that the gist of my comment settled on it being more likely that your statement was a Cobbler or wolf sign. Granted, I haven't suspected you a huge amount yet.

Edit: cross-posted with Legate and G55.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #64
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Right, to go on with Boro's idea, why should someone vote Boro over me? Hm. Honestly, I've got nothing. He's been quite a bit more active, with substantial posts. I can't really come up with anything, except that I'm not evil. I'm sure that's a great help.

x/d with Coppermirror
Old 12-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #65
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I think there's been.... oh, maybe one game ever where the Cobbler counted as a wolf. (Maybe I'm wrong, as we're now up to WWC, so probably pretty much anything you could think of has happened by now.) But still– it would be such an exceptional thing I'm wondering why you feel the need to ask at all. It's like asking, "Can the Ranger kill people?"
Really? Maybe it's that I am used to every Mod pointing that out, because basically in each game with a Cobbler I have played it was specified. Though when I think about it, you might be right. Nonetheless, I haven't been playing for who knows how long and well, who knows what house-rules you have come up with meanwhile...

Quote:

EDIT:X'd with Coppermirror.
Hmm. Actually interesting spot, somehow I missed that. Though the end of the sentence reverses it a bit ("could be Wolf pretending to be Seer" seems more as if Cop was basically thinking about it as a whole), but still, an innocent villager should be very careful about mentioning such things.

EDIT: x-ed since my last, and soon to vote, ugh, the clock!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #66
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
But Boro, why don't you try this too? That means that you need to look at the hypothetical situation of why people shouldn't vote for you in the event of a tie between you and McCaber. I'd like to hear it.
Sure...why not.

McCaber admittedly withholds a lot of what he's thinking...either to my great benefit or flaw, I don't. I'm an unfiltered blabberer, but it also lets everyone know where I stand and how I go about conducting business/voting. If I'm a wolfy, it's going to be known within 2 or 3 days, guaranteed. McCaber can never get a grasp on, rather unpredictable, but it also means he's very good at slipping through forgotten, an ideal "wolf under the radar" candidate.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #67
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

How long have we got until the deadline?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #68
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
How long have we got until the deadline?
2 hours and 15 minutes.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #69
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
But to me, the idea came. It really is not about saying something brilliant. It is about actually making an effort to say, or make people say something. I mean really, this has been one of the laziest Day Ones I have seen in WW, I really don't want to sound like Nog, it's all fun, we're waiting for Christmas, but if we are to lynch somebody...

Anyway, as for your list, well! That's actually not a bad idea for Day 1. Even though it has gaps (for instance, like you said, my place would be to say why not me but sally - then obviously I would say "she hasn't been around at all", which pretty much is an undisputable argument), it's a nice one. It'd have been even better if you had posted something like that half a Day ago and not two hours before DL (or how much exactly it is)... though it is true that it might give some good info even in the upcoming few hours, and also feedback for future Days to look back at...

Anyway, now I should say, that however I appreciate Boro's effort, I must say something strikes me as false in that whole behavior (up to the "I forgot that Lommy voted" - for some reason, that struck me as false, I don't know why, but it just seems that way). Partially also I agree with Copper, why don't you also play this game, even though you have removed yourself (rather illogically) from the list (if it's meant to be for everyone, there is no need for making a "subjective" list if everyone is supposed to try it anyway).

EDIT: x-ed with Nerwen
Hey now, I'm clearly making an effort here, don't criticize the time when I finally think of something...criticize the suspiciosness or unsuspicionsess of the effort.

Well, I had just asked Lommy to tell me why I should vote for you instead of her if the vote was tied. But then realized she likely would not be answering that today since she voted...ergo I forgot she had.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #70
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

Okay...

In that case, I'm planning to vote for Inzil unless something comes up before deadline.

The reason I'm not planning on voting for the other person I suspect right now, G55, is because I like her gut feeling list of suspicions and think it might be from the thought process of an innocent. She's also posted with further analysis. Although the bit where she's said I have "no real suspicions" while...actually pretty much true, does skim over the fact that she was at joint first place in my suspicions, flimsy as those suspicions are.

Goodness, that all sounds so negative and lacking in Christmas cheer! I should go and listen to some carols.

Edit: cross-posted with Boro.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #71
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
In that case, I'm planning to vote for Inzil unless something comes up before deadline.
Ah, the bandwagon. Does it approach?

Quote:
The reason I'm not planning on voting for the other person I suspect right now, G55, is because I like her gut feeling list of suspicions and think it might be from the thought process of an innocent. She's also posted with further analysis. Although the bit where she's said I have "no real suspicions" while...actually pretty much true, does skim over the fact that she was at joint first place in my suspicions, flimsy as those suspicions are.
I was getting the feeling that G55 was wanting to pick through those "coded" posts out in the open, and we all know that the Cobbler isn't the only one who might be doing that. And yes, finding things to discuss can be difficult on Day 1, but I just didn't think that was the wisest course of action.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #72
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Why Cop and not me? Good question. Huh.

Interesting effects too. Should I be pointing out my innocence or her (hypothetical) guilt?

The only issue I have with Cop is that she mixed her IC into her posts in such a way that I can't grasp her degree of seriousness. If she is a wolf, she could be easily hiding behind some of those comments. When you can't tell if she's serious about something, she could say "I said it first, here it is!" or "I never meant it, it was just a joke!" depending on the outcome.

However this case may be, I have already asked Cop to please distinguish between the two and I pray she does in the future, and I am not crying wolf based on this, or at least solely this.

I am more interested in voting either Legate or Boro. Probably Legate. He rubs me the wrong way. It's not a strong "whoa! something's wrong!" vibe, it's more of a just weird anxious feeling. And it's stronger with Legate than with Boro.

EDIT: xed with Cop and Zil
Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #73
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Hey now, I'm clearly making an effort here, don't criticize the time when I finally think of something...criticize the suspiciosness or unsuspicionsess of the effort.
I am not criticizing the time, it was merely saying that you could have done it earlier, nothing more, nothing less. The part that makes you look pretty weird in my eyes in this game is that you seemed completely leaving the "game part" of the game out until really really late, which I would not have expected you to do, unless it suited you to leave the village without talking or what.

Quote:
Well, I had just asked Lommy to tell me why I should vote for you instead of her if the vote was tied. But then realized she likely would not be answering that today since she voted...ergo I forgot she had.
I know, I know. It was just the manner of it, sort of a strange appendix. But it's not what worries me, the whole way of how you act is just so... not like yourself.

I really have to go to sleep, though. Okay, people have been behaving really really weirdly here toDay, but to decide,

++Boro

whose acting is just on top of my suspicions now. It's still only Day 1, but he's been really strangely noncommited at first and somewhat shifty now.

Good night...

EDIT: x-ed since Cop
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #74
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

++Inzil

I'll be interested to see how other people vote after this.

The current tally:

Inzil - 2 votes (Thinlomien, Coppermirror)
Boro - 1 vote (Legate)

Last edited by Coppermirror; 12-22-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: highlighting vote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #75
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Right now I'm probably going to vote sally, but I'm willing to give her another hour or so to show up. Silence is most assuredly not golden here, but will just get you a lump of coal in your stocking.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #76
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

One more thing - I've really got to note that the lack of posting from several people makes this Day really, really difficult. It would be extremely easy for a wolf or even two to be hiding amongst those people. I ended up not voting for quiet players this time, to give them a chance, but if I'm still around toMorrow, I'll definitely be looking at those people as more suspicious than I did toDay.

Edit: cross-posted with McCaber.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #77
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

A reminded votes should be highlighted not bold.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #78
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

Assuming it's okay to edit for this purpose, I'll go back and edit my vote so it's in red.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #79
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ok, my thoughts so far:

Sally - Well, she's said about as much as I have until now. Which is not good. Especially because she's potentially been around since then and hasn't said anything.

Shasta - Said very little. But he has a list coming, so I'll wait for that.

G55 - Seems to be trying to bring in some real talk as well as banter. Looks good so far. Seems to only have suspicion by gut-feeling so far, though.

Coppermirror - Seems to be mostly totally in-character banter so far. I don't like the first paragraph of this post. It seems like just posting something for the sake of it. The list seems slightly better, but the points against G55 and Zil seem pretty weak.

Morsul - Seems like normal Morsul so far. I'm inclined to believe innocent.

Nerwen - Well, she only has one post so far, so I'm not sure what to make of her.

Zil - I don't know. Something about him doesn't sit right with me. He's definitely far more banterous than usual, but that's not what makes me uneasy. I'll need to look at him in more detail.

Boro - Pretty funny so far, but he hasn't given much. So far it looks like he's tried to do a phantom (i.e. force a discussion that he wants) twice, which I don't like out of principle. Of course, that suggest innocence or guilt, but he doesn't feel like the innocent Boro I'm used to.

McCaber - Unless he's serious with his first sentence here (and I don't like that post because it seems full of false substance), this is the serious game talk he's had. It could be something that either side would suggest, but I'm going to need to address that later.

Lommy - I'm not really keen on her first list because it mixes banter and seriousness too much. Could be an easy way for a wolf to make a light non-committal accusation to go back to later when it becomes useful. And in her second list, she does indeed refer to what she previously said about G55. She then says it's 85% jokey, which makes it seem worse, because now she has license to go back to it probably one more time. Her vote seems ok, though.

Legate - Asks the moddess useful questions, but of course, this doesn't speak for his innocence or guilt, since the answers benefit every role. I was going to say that this makes him least likely to be a cobbler, but then I realised that this would probably be a really good early-game tactic for a cobbler.

People I'd rather not for just yet:
Legate
Morsul
G55

People I need to see more of before I begin to make any sort of judgement:
Shasta
Sally
Nerwen

edit: x-ed with Nerwen's #60
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #80
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Right now I'm probably going to vote sally, but I'm willing to give her another hour or so to show up. Silence is most assuredly not golden here, but will just get you a lump of coal in your stocking.
That's where I've been leaning since the most suspicious to me had been Copper...the asking me how I felt about Nerwen's translation struck me as rather odd, but last several posts have relieved general feelings of oddity.

Legate's been making a history of voting early for me...frankly, I think I've just become an easy target for him when he hasn't got much of an idea/hold on anyone else playing...as annoying as it can be, I'll forgive the behavior today.