The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Melilot Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Melilot Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Where does Gandalf live

He wanders all over ME on secret missions, but surely there must be times where he has some r&r. I wonder if he owns a house? Maybe he has an open invitation from Elrond to stay at Rivendell, and goes there. Could ask the same about Aragorn too. Perhaps they both stay at Rivendell?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melilot Brandybuck View Post
He wanders all over ME on secret missions, but surely there must be times where he has some r&r. I wonder if he owns a house? Maybe he has an open invitation from Elrond to stay at Rivendell, and goes there. Could ask the same about Aragorn too. Perhaps they both stay at Rivendell?
I'd say Rivendell,and probably Lórien, were Gandalf's most frequent resting spots, but the books seem to make it clear that he was indeed the "Grey Pilgrim", who had no permanent home in Middle-earth.

Aragorn was fostered in Rivendell, so that would have been his "home base" as it were, though he seems as an adult to have been as much a wanderer as Gandalf.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
It is pretty clear that Gandalf does not have any "permanent residence", and I think in the essay about the Istari in Unfinished Tales it is maybe even stated explicitely (but even if not, clearly enough). I think it is at least implied also that the Wizards' "settling down" was partially also a failure, both in case of Saruman (who wanted to become a "politically established power" and also wanted to "show off" with his "Wizard's tower") and Radagast (who just chose a shelter to hide in among his favourite animals). A Wizard was supposed to move to be able to assist in different places, if I overdo it a little bit, I would liken them to wandering apostles - they were supposed to boost the morale wherever they came, and simply relied on the fact that the locals would offer them a shelter for the time being. (That's also the reason why Gandalf evidently stopped going too far East and South, since he didn't receive the welcome there.)

That is not to say that Gandalf clearly had a few favourite "retreats" where he was certain of being received - such as Rivendell, Lórien, or also the Shire (in a different way) where he could go "on a holiday" to please himself with looking at happy hobbits who had no idea about any shadow and evil. But obviously, his task always drove him on, so he did not have time to settle down permanently anywhere.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
I think Metallica's song, Wherever I May Roam is appropriate here. "And the road becomes my bride... gives me all I need...rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will...anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home... and the earth becomes my throne... off the beaten path I reign". Sort of makes sense to me. hahaha

Aragorn does have 2 homes, with Elrond and with his people. He has often gone off under the guise of many names helping people and espying the enemy in the east and south. He did great deeds "in the company of the sons of Elrond" [RotK, p. 382] He left Rivendell when he was 20 and went fighting against Sauron for 29 years before returning.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
It is pretty clear that Gandalf does not have any "permanent residence", and I think in the essay about the Istari in Unfinished Tales it is maybe even stated explicitely (but even if not, clearly enough). I think it is at least implied also that the Wizards' "settling down" was partially also a failure, both in case of Saruman (who wanted to become a "politically established power" and also wanted to "show off" with his "Wizard's tower") and Radagast (who just chose a shelter to hide in among his favourite animals).
I don't know how I missed this before, but I think it's an interesting point.
Getting a "base" could be the first step, for one in a position of power and authority like the Istari, toward a mindset of domination and empire-building. After all, they were fundamentally the same creatures as Sauron. Gandalf may have deliberately kept his feet wandering not only to explore hearts and minds to see what he had to work with, but also to keep himself out of the "fortress" mentality that Saruman fell into.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I don't know how I missed this before, but I think it's an interesting point.
Getting a "base" could be the first step, for one in a position of power and authority like the Istari, toward a mindset of domination and empire-building. After all, they were fundamentally the same creatures as Sauron. Gandalf may have deliberately kept his feet wandering not only to explore hearts and minds to see what he had to work with, but also to keep himself out of the "fortress" mentality that Saruman fell into.
Very interesting thought indeed. I suppose it's a very short step from thinking "this is the manifestation of my power" to "I am the lord of this property", and Sauronity begins. It's also very interesting that in the closest to a declaration of power that Gandalf ever made, he named himself a Stewart - knowing that Middle-Earth bears traces of his influence and power, but not appointing himself as its lord or master.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
In UT it says that he "never made for himself any lasting abode" and that he dwelllt in no place and gathered neither wealth norfollowers. It also says that he travelled mainly on foot. However we know that at times he has use of a horse and horse and cart. We also know that he made fireworks which I suspect is not something even a wizard finds convenient to do on the road. We know he borrows horses from Elrond Beorn and Rohan and while he seems to be received in mortal lands as a guest at Rivendell he seems part of the househol while he is there and while we don't witness it he no doubt is equally welcome at the Havens and Lorien. Cirdan instantly recognised Gandalf's significance as shown by his passing on of Narya to the one who seemed least of the Istari. Cirdan as Lord of the seemingly mose craft orientated elven realm may well have provided workshop space to Gandalf.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Pipe

Part of the question, no doubt, must be what counts as a "lasting" abode in the course of a 2000-year incarnation-inhabitation of Middle-earth. If Gandalf rented a flat in Minas Tirith for five years, would that count as "lasting?"

I'm being mildly facetious, of course--I don't think they'd have called it a "flat" anyway.

But, that said, 2000 years is a LOOOOONG time. What is more, unlike Saruman and Radagast, Gandalf seems to have taken the time to get to KNOW the people of Middle-earth, and this suggests to me that he must have dwelt AMONG them, not just passed through now and then.

Mind you, this is no different than what has been suggested on this thread already, that Gandalf had familiar haunts where he spent a lot of time, but I would expand that list from Rivendell and the other Elven realms. Two millennia is a considerably long time. What's more, we know that Gandalf had to have spent enough time in the Shire during the Old Took's lifetime to acquire an in-depth knowledge of its families, geography, and customs. Furthermore, the suggestion that "Incanus" is a Quenya name given to Gandalf in earlier Gondor, while of only secondary canonicity (disputed as it might be by the alternative claim to be a name from Harad), might be taken as evidence that Gandalf had a base/home there in the time of the Kings that was later abandoned--perhaps he started spending most of his time in the North-Kingdom due to the near-by presence of Angmar.

As I said, I don't think I'm suggesting anything terribly new--just broadening the scope of what has been said. An abode that lasts five years might be pretty stable for me, but I hardly expect to live a century, let alone twenty of them!

Furthermore, it occurs to me that a key distinction between Gandalf and Saruman (and I include Radagast with Saruman here) is that Saruman dwells apart from the people of Middle-earth. In other words, the "sin" of a fixed dwelling is that it separates him from the people he is supposed to be among. Gandalf, on the other hand, by not having "his own" place anywhere (regardless of how long he may have settled for a time here or there), always dwells with and among the people of Middle-earth. Given the role of the Istari as kindlers of hope and prompters of action against Sauron, this seems an important point to note.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes he certainly spent enough time to get to know people and become familiar enough to acquire nicknames and reputations whether good or ill. He may spend months at a time in a place. The point is he does not settle under his own establishment whether as a powerbase as with Saruman or a presumably more humble dwelling cum wildlife sanctuary as with Radagast. Gandalf saying Radagast was never a great traveller does suggest he was either in the wrong job or had a slightly different mission. Anyway I am sure it isnt a new thougt but I can't help thinking that there is a paralel with the wandering Friars..I meant to look up and see if there were blue friars as well as white, brown and grey.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I can't help thinking that there is a paralel with the wandering Friars..I meant to look up and see if there were blue friars as well as white, brown and grey.
I really like this! And totally agree with the idea that "settling" for an Istari was a first step to a failure, a way to become either "sauronish" or "bombadillish" (which they were not supposed to). Another point here are memories of the West. Istari's true home is beyond the sea and if they obtain another one, their memories of the Blessed realm, already blurred, can be forgotten together with the sense of their mission.

I should mention that Saruman initially travelled a lot and went far to the east with the Blue Wizards. He studied people and their lore deeply, as he had to read a lot in Gondor and Rivendale to develop his expert knowledge about rings' power and the Enemy. As for Radagast, it seems he proceeded directly to Greenwood (Mirkwood) and stayed there since his arrival, as he was not known even to Farngorn... Such a shame!
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:39 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I think in Rateliff's History of the Hobbit there is a mention that Tolkien decided Radagast hadn't failed.I must try and find it.

as for the Blue Friars..there is some sort of society of Masonic authors. i have seen some speculation of msonic references in Tolkien's work ut i dont remember rading ever that Tolkien was a mason himself.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I think in Rateliff's History of the Hobbit there is a mention that Tolkien decided Radagast hadn't failed.I must try and find it.

as for the Blue Friars..there is some sort of society of Masonic authors. i have seen some speculation of msonic references in Tolkien's work ut i dont remember rading ever that Tolkien was a mason himself.
Catholics were not allowed to become Freemasons. The Catholic church decreed that the deistic religion conflicted with church theology. The 1917 Code of Canon Law states that anyone who joins the Freemasons is automatically excommunicated. I would doubt Tolkien would consider membership given that.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Catholics were not allowed to become Freemasons. The Catholic church decreed that the deistic religion conflicted with church theology. The 1917 Code of Canon Law states that anyone who joins the Freemasons is automatically excommunicated. I would doubt Tolkien would consider membership given that.
No ..he was not noticeably flexible about his faith. And the articles I have seen claiming he was don't seem to be written by people with a strong hold on probability.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
That is true. However, if I recall Catholics WERE allowed to join the Knights of Columbus (in fact, I think that was why that particular Order was formed, to provide good Catholics with an alternative) Anyone know if Tolkien was a member of that? (Actually, I don't know if KNOC has/had branches in England)and if so, if they had comparable rituals that could have left inspiration
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
That is true. However, if I recall Catholics WERE allowed to join the Knights of Columbus (in fact, I think that was why that particular Order was formed, to provide good Catholics with an alternative) Anyone know if Tolkien was a member of that? (Actually, I don't know if KNOC has/had branches in England)and if so, if they had comparable rituals that could have left inspiration
According to the KofC website, they don't seem to have any presence in the UK.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #16
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
According to the KofC website, they don't seem to have any presence in the UK.
Ok never mind
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

TheUK equivalent are the Knights of St Colomba.