The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #4041
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn-of-Rohan View Post
Thank you all for the welcome! I was a little nervous about posting for the first time, so now I feel more comfortable.
No need to be afraid. We don't bite....hard.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #4042
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
A belated welcome to TilloW, who came here at my recommendation. Thank you all for welcoming him so nicely and apologies for not being in to greet him myself!
Old 07-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #4043
Barrel-rider
Pile O'Bones

Barrel-rider has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Hi guys :)

Hi. I'm new here, but I want to tell you a little about me:

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led. And through the air, I am he that walks unseen. I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly. I was chosen for the lucky number. I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them alive again from the water. I came from the end of a bag, but no bag went over me. I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider.

Just kidding I have read the Hobbit, and I am almost through The Two Towers. I am very happy to have joined you guys here.

So I guess you could say I'm a typical Tolkien fan Tolkienology ftw!
Barrel-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #4044
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Barrel-rider!

One thing I've definitely come to believe since I joined the Downs is that there is no such creature as a 'typical Tolkien fan'. Here we seem to have them all: the learnéd, the eclectic, the young, the old, the in-between. Movie-fans, and movie-not-fans.

Enjoy yourself!
Old 07-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #4045
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, Barrel-rider!

Like Inziladun, I found since joining Tolkien fandom that us fans come in all shapes and sizes, although I don't think there are any dragons among us; so no one will miss a cup...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #4046
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Barrel-rider! Your barrel has brought you to the right port. Any pickled Dwarves to declare? Otherwise proceed and enjoy being dead.

Like Zil and Faramir said, Downers come in infinte diversity and infinite combinations, and the only typical Tolkien thing about all of us is, well, being Tolkien fans. You'll fit in fine.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #4047
Barrel-rider
Pile O'Bones

White Tree Thanks!

Thanks for welcoming me, guys I'm glad this place is still active. I also think I'll be using the smoking emoticon a lot
Old 08-24-2016, 01:51 AM   #4048
Greybeard
Newly Deceased

Greybeard has just left Hobbiton.
Introduction

Hey! Been a big fan of Tolkien since I read The Hobbit, many many years ago. Look forward to talking about Middle Earth with you all!
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:54 AM   #4049
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome Greybeard! Feel free to stir the pot with some controversial topic.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #4050
Barrel-rider
Pile O'Bones

White Tree Welcome Greybeard

Welcome! Glad you decided to join us! I'm a relatively new fan myself, though I am inspired by Tolkien's works. Hope you enjoy your stay!
Three rings for the Elven-kings munchin' on rye, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their nightly drinks alone, nine for Mortal "Men" doomed to cry, one for the Barrel lord on his barrel-y throne in the land of hoarders where the fellows cry.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #4051
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome, Greybeard, and belatedly Barrel-rider!
Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #4052
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, Greybeard!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #4053
Shire Flower
Pile O'Bones

Shire Flower has just left Hobbiton.
Hello! I used to visit this forum a lot around 2003, when I read Lord of the Rings for the first time. My favorite area was the humor thread. I'm glad to see that the Barrow Downs are still around.
Shire Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:10 PM   #4054
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome back, Shire Flower!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:30 PM   #4055
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
The Eye

Welcome back, Shire Flower.

Now, just to bring you up to date- these days we have a rule that all new (or long absent) members must sign up for the next available Werewolf game, or face permanent banning. We are very strict about this.

You can read about the rules here.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #4056
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up Lovely to have you back!

Lovely to have you back, Shire Flower!
Old 06-06-2017, 07:05 AM   #4057
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Welcome back, Shire Flower.

Now, just to bring you up to date- these days we have a rule that all new (or long absent) members must sign up for the next available Werewolf game, or face permanent banning. We are very strict about this.

You can read about the rules here.
Is that the rule?
Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #4058
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Welcome back Shire Flower and Morsul! Once dead, always dead...or something like that. Cheers!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #4059
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Is that the rule?
Yes.

Welcome back!
Old 06-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #4060
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn-of-Rohan View Post
Thank you all for the welcome! I was a little nervous about posting for the first time, so now I feel more comfortable.
We were glad to get three posts from you Lady Eowyn!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #4061
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lovely name, Shire Flower! Welcome back.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #4062
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
It's been quite a while since I was active here, but I'd really love to give it a go again. I missed my lovely 'Downers~

Perhaps this time I'll do more than lurk the Mirth-y depths.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #4063
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hello and welcome back Valesse!
Old 11-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #4064
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yay Welcome back Valesse. Wherever you post we will be glad to have you back!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #4065
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Welcome back, Valesse!

Welcome back, Valesse! It'll be good to read your posts again.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:53 AM   #4066
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valesse View Post
It's been quite a while since I was active here, but I'd really love to give it a go again. I missed my lovely 'Downers~

Good to have you back again Valesse. I have missed our MSN conversation from the days of yore.

I my self have started lurking in the shadows, although I am only sporadically active.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #4067
al'Thingolfin
Pile O'Bones

al'Thingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
Just wanted to pop in and say hi! Technically not new, but it's been ages since I was on here. Can't believe I remembered the login for this old account.

This was pretty much the first page I visited back when I was new to the internet, loved just idling in the #barrowdowns chatroom. I think I was 13 or 14 back then, closing in on 30 now.

Vaguely recall some nicknames, Ulmo, Rimbaud and Thenamir the chat OPs, Gayahithwen (who I believe taught me how to make an e-mail account!), Artilien, Naz, Yiriandur, burrahobbit, and some guy with a chinese nickname I can't recall.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #4068
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by al'Thingolfin View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say hi! Technically not new, but it's been ages since I was on here. Can't believe I remembered the login for this old account.
Welcome back!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #4069
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valesse View Post

Quote:

This was pretty much the first page I visited back when I was new to the internet, loved just idling in the #barrowdowns chatroom. I think I was 13 or 14 back then, closing in on 30 now.

Vaguely recall some nicknames, Ulmo, Rimbaud and Thenamir the chat OPs, Gayahithwen (who I believe taught me how to make an e-mail account!), Artilien, Naz, Yiriandur, burrahobbit, and some guy with a chinese nickname I can't recall.
Welcome back old timer.

I remember Thenamir, (and some of the others) though he stopped being active a relatively short while after I joined.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #4070
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:

Welcome back! I don't think we've "met" before, but I recognize your name from some of the older threads.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #4071
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up Welcome back!

Welcome back, al'Thingolfin!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #4072
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome back indeed, al'Thingolfin!
Old 11-29-2017, 02:44 AM   #4073
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I would simply like to say that I have missed many of you and that visiting this place still gives me joy. It has been many years. Maybe tomorrow another decade passes. I hope that each of you are enjoying life's adventures. With love!
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dűr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:34 AM   #4074
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hello the Downs!

Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo to you all.

Hi! I'm Huinesoron. I've known of the Downs for many, many years (I started one of those many Silmarillion Film projects with a bunch of folks from here), but for some reason have never signed up. Well... until now. It turns out that stumbling back across you and reading thread after thread while going 'oh, I have a thought on that' is a really good incentive to join.

I have a deep-seated inability to keep my mouth shut when I want to say something, so you can probably expect to see me around a fair bit...

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #4075
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I have a deep-seated inability to keep my mouth shut when I want to say something, so you can probably expect to see me around a fair bit...
In the immortal words of the god Vulcan in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, "Oh, we cater for all sorts here. You'd be surprised."

Le nathlof hí.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #4076
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up Welcome to the Downs!

Welcome to the Downs, Huinesoron! Like you, I lurked around a lot before joining...
Old 12-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #4077
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome back, ninja91!

And welcome, Huinesoron.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #4078
Eldy
Pile O'Bones

Eldy has just left Hobbiton.
I registered here a long time ago when I was still relatively new to online Tolkien fandom and while I never became active I have lurked intermittently over the years. I recognize more than a few of the names here from elsewhere. Over the past several months I've been venturing out of my usual online haunts a little more than I have for a long time (pun semi-deliberate :P).
Eldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:41 AM   #4079
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome back, Eldorion!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #4080
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome back, indeed!