The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2002, 11:20 AM   #1
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Question What place in Middle Earth most resembles where you live?

Is there a place in ME that looks like the place where you live? I'd have to say I live in a place like the Bay of Belfalas, but with lots of rolling hills all around. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 12:35 PM   #2
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

I guess the closest thing to London would be a big city like Minas Tirith...
Old 11-02-2002, 01:02 PM   #3
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

The closest place in Middle-Earth to where I live would be Mirkwood. I live way back in the woods, so it fits. They can be really dark, especially at night, so I hope there are no huge spiders...@_@

[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]
Old 11-02-2002, 02:54 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

scotland is arnor, wales is mordor (Black Mt.s a biiiig giveaway...), south west is the shire, although i do kinda live in minas tirith..., south east is gondor, north west of england (lake district style) is mirkwood, middle east area (between newcastle and nottingham (?)) is lothlorien, birmingham area and newcastle area is dwarfiness, and the centre (between southampton, derbyshire, bristol-ish, and nottingham-ish) is where rivendell should be, cos theres nowhere else

my nottingham is just above the east anglia 'bump' that sticks out of the coast in the south east. if its not right, take my nottingham as watever is above the bump.

ireland is the undying lands.

if ure american (usa only), east-s.east is gondor, north east is lothlorien, north is dwarfiness, north west is mirkwood, west is nothing as such, south west is rohan, and south is arnor. mordor doesnt exist unless it is the west. (added note- rivendell is in the west.)

europe as a whole- scandinavia = arnor. british isles = the shire. spain = rohan. italy = gondor. russia = wastelands and some dwarfiness in the west. germany = dwarf also. france = shire and around, also. austria, and switzerland, etc. = mirkwood. belgium and the netherlands = rivendell. bulgaria, transylvania, etc. = lothlorien area. malta = undying lands. mordor is somewhere in far eastern-ish europe. sorry if i forgot anything.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:03 PM   #5
leslie_hobbit_lass

Tolkien

I'd have to say that I live outside of Hobbiton. Im surrounded by wheat feilds and there's a small town about 3 miles away.
Quote:
"Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!" Gandalf
[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: leslie_hobbit_lass ]
Old 11-02-2002, 03:14 PM   #6
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Meela, NE USA more closely resembles the Far Downs (the Shire-ish feel, with mountains in the background).

Lórien, we certainly are not.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:27 PM   #7
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dűm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

hmmmm what could California be?-probably the Mist Mountains for the bay area...
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 03:27 PM   #8
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

i didnt have my map- i lost it. that was a semi- guess, so loth. and mirk. may be the wrong way round...

does the n. e. have forest?
Old 11-02-2002, 03:31 PM   #9
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dűm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

ooooh ic

-for the forest umm I think the place where the Red Wood trees are will fit just right w/ Mirkwood...
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 03:52 PM   #10
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I live in Canada, Ontario. We have lots o trees, not mainy big mountains but hills we have as well as a few flat farmland type of thing. Perhaps in Doriath? Either that or the Shire or Mirkwood, Lothlorien...
Old 11-02-2002, 03:53 PM   #11
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There's lots of forest around where I live, so I guess it's like Mirkwood. But I find the people here are very opposed to change, and a lot of them don't like leaving the area, so in that sense it's more like the Shire.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 10:19 PM   #12
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm from Ontario, and my town is pretty cottage country, and many people have never gone outside it, though you kinda have to the go to high school. I'd say it's a pretty fair version of the Shire.
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 09:13 AM   #13
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I too am from Ontario, but I'd say I'm on top of one of the Misty Mountains. Or Caradhras. You should see the whiteout this morning.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:08 AM   #14
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I live on the edge of a city where traditional industries, coal mining, iron & steel making, quarrying and ceramics, are in decline. Much of it seems like Mordor on a bad day.

But just a mile from my house are quiet, small fields and little woods and good people; The Shire.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 10:29 AM   #15
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dűm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I live in eastern Norway, in a place that is sorta Shire-ish, or maybe around Bree someplace.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:55 AM   #16
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, I live in Maryland USA. At first I was thinking MOrdor since like, every clear space you find in Baltimore there are people trying to build stuff there (or maybe that would be Isengard?). But, when you get closer to my house, near the bay, It has really pretty trees and fields. And at night, all you can see are stars and the moon. Maybe Mirkwood, or Lothlorien, although I think my grandparents house in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan is more like Lothlorien. But everyone in my neighborhood is really nice. Except that one lady. She always says my cats....oh nevermind

I really don't know.

Aylwen

[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 11-03-2002, 11:25 AM   #17
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I live in (well, more on the edge of) a small-ish village, there are lots of feilds around and just down the road are the waterr-meadows, where the cows are always out and about. But a few of the people are quite nasty, sounds a bit like Gondor.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:48 PM   #18
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dűm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Aylwen Dreamsong, could that lady be Lobelia Sackville-Baggins?! A cranky sort?
Old 11-03-2002, 01:00 PM   #19
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dűm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I don't know about where I currently live. Probably Rohan. Where I grew up, rural Ohio, was definitely Nurn. We grew the crops for the armies of darkness.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:19 PM   #20
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Orodoliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I consider the countryside around where I live to be very Shire-like. There are lots of wheat fields, and small villages.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:04 PM   #21
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

Where I live is suburban with absolutely nothing Middle-Earthish about it--if you don't look closely and use your imagination. My town park (if you forget about the cars going by...) is a lot like the Shire. Everything is very green and rolling (until winter, then everything's dead). The downtown section of where I live is very old fashioned and the decoration on the buildings reminds me of Rivendell. Behind my house is a small wood that is choked and dark all of the time. When I go through there, I think of Mirkwood. If one chooses to walk up towards the "nicer" section of town, the houses become quite large and elegant, more fit for royalty than some suburbans who commute 2 hours a day to a major law firm in Boston. One particular house makes me think of Numenor (did I spell that right?). Going back to the park for a moment, there is a hill surrounded by trees that always has sun. Lothlorien anyone?
So you see, you can find Middle-Earth anywhere.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:48 PM   #22
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
I'm from Ontario, and my town is pretty cottage country
I am north of cottage country! (hehe I love saying that!)

I have probebly been through your town on me way to Toronto! (no, I am not stalking you.)
Old 11-05-2002, 09:26 PM   #23
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

I think where I live resembles the Shire and vice-versa (I'm in Virginia near the Shenandoah Valley). But sitting in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mts., it's a bit like the Misty Mountains as well with all the clouds straggling over the peaks all the time [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2002, 03:34 PM   #24
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

to the south of my house is a cross between the shire and rohan and north of the shire to the misty mountains area... i think, and some lothlorien/rivendell/mirkwood.
to the north is minas tirith and gondor-style/rohan-style area.
to the east is gondor/rohan-style area, and some other stuff.... i think.
to the west is arnor/rohan/gondor/shire/bree-misty mts. area.

i live between gondor and rohan [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2002, 04:52 PM   #25
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm, how to describe rural Central PA... Probably the Shire. It's all farmland, rolling hills, streams, Amish buggies and the like out here. Nosy people, cranky senior citizens, and an attitude not conducive to change. Yes, definitely the Shire(that might explain why I'm so restless; I'm more of a seashore person [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ).
Old 11-09-2002, 10:20 AM   #26
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I live in a quite SMALL town. It, I think, most resembles Crickhollow. Ya know, very few houses around with woods right behind your house. It would be either that or Hobbiton. But Hobbiton has WAY too cool of landscapes around to be my neighborhood.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:43 AM   #27
Baran
Haunting Spirit

Baran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Inot sure what The North of Norway resembles, although you could probably have found a place like this in middle-earth. Maybe the coasts north-west, north of Cirdan's place...?
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 03:01 AM   #28
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

Well, what place resembles something from Middle-earth which has a sea nearby and a town near it?
Over here there are also forests, cold wind and shopping malls.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:57 AM   #29
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I live in Holland, in the West to be exact. And it resembles the Shire the best of all things in M-e, I guess. Lots of Pools, villages (and cities). Some forests and other Shiry things. And I live not too far from the Sea (not far at all actually).
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:15 AM   #30
Balrog of Khazadum

Thumbs up

probaly like dunland or rohan
Old 11-13-2002, 08:23 AM   #31
Elana

Sting

I live in the country of southern georgia. We own more than 100 acres of forest. There are soooo many different places in Middle-Earth that would have looked like my woods. There is one area of about 10 acres that looks like Lothlorien or Rivendell, there are huge grassy hills beside a creek in another part that remind me of the shire, then there are the parts of my forest that are tangled and overgrown and remind me of Mirkwood...maybe THIS is why I've decided to make a LoTR parody movie and film it on my land. Anyone wants to help out with it? Just e-mail me at redheaded_poetgirl@hotmail.com
Old 11-13-2002, 06:19 PM   #32
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Hmmm...a mix of Rivendell and Mirkwood...until you go into town: then it resembles nothing Middle-Earthy: too darn ugly and poor...but: I live in the woods on a mountain, and it's very pretty at the moment...I live in the small upper-middle class area of my poor, unknown town...
Old 11-13-2002, 07:36 PM   #33
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

On the way home from school, which is about an hour from where I live, I saw a round spot in a forest where there grew no trees, just grasses, and weeds, and brambles. It reminded me of the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 08:37 PM   #34
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I've been trying to put more thought into what my home looks like: It actually looks like the Shire, but room looks like a bedroom out of Rivendell: at 4 to 5 pm, the light ledges itself into my room, giving it a mysterious glow.

Our backyard looks pretty much like the Shire, with the trees, and the clothesline, and with my dogs lounging all over the place.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:51 PM   #35
elsye
Animated Skeleton

elsye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not 100% percent sure what my home resembles. I live at the bottom of the Olympic mountains in Washington st. and my house is surrounded by trees with a short trail to a couple of meadows and a river, where i go to pick mushrooms. It's also got a valley just east of the house. what do you think?
Old 11-14-2002, 01:50 PM   #36
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Maybe Rivendell? That's kind of what it sounds like, with mountains and all. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I want to see mountains!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 02:04 PM   #37
Aramacil
Wight

Aramacil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with lathspell,I live in Holland and it would probably mostly resembles the shire, with the fields and villages.
But it's much flatter, we really miss the hobbithills here. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 02:22 PM   #38
Galadriel9
Haunting Spirit

Galadriel9 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi, by the way, I'm new, this is such a lush site by the way! Anyway, I live in Wales and parts of it are SO like I imagined Mordor. There is this one bit v.near my house which is a branch off a nature trail and I reckon its quite like Lothlorien, when the cars cease for a moment, all is still and all you can hear is the wind whispering in the trees, its lush, anyway, I'm really chuffed that I'm a member now, so I'm gonna go and join some more discussions, take care all, love ME!
Old 11-14-2002, 04:32 PM   #39
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs Galadriel9!!

Where I live most resembles...Midgewater. Lots of small biting insects. Blech.

However, since it's Midgewater, that means that it's not too far from the Shire! Lots of nice small towns around. I wouldn't move. I'd just move the bugs.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-14-2002, 04:38 PM   #40
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
this is such a lush site
Does anyone else find this the slightest bit amusing?
lush

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: Arwen Imladris ]