The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2002, 05:05 PM   #41
Marillanna Sarnie
Pile O'Bones

Marillanna Sarnie has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada) really doesn't resemble much, except right now, with the weather (today being snow-covered, and a balmy -20 C with the windchill) in winter, it's like the Helcaraxe, all the ice, snow....(sigh).

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 06:06 PM   #42
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dūm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

ummm let's see

since I'm from California the Redwood forest could be Mirkwood or Lothlorien -very tall trees!!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] and since i'm near the bay and there are some mountatins around it could be Bruinen-very foggy/misty too!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 07:49 PM   #43
Morelen

Sting

Well, right now, my town resembles Lothlorien. There are alot of golden leavd trees here.In the spring it looks like the Shire.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:05 PM   #44
Novlamothien
Haunting Spirit

Novlamothien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Let's see, I live in N. GA USA, and I am really close to the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have to agree that they look like the Misty Mountains. There are a ton of little towns all around there, and it is heavily wooded. I live in a very booming town, almost in the country (cow fields outside our neighborhood). Maybe Minas Tirith? can anyone help me? It looks like the Shire with the fields, but only a little bit.

Namarie
Erin
Old 11-14-2002, 08:54 PM   #45
Tśroch
Wight

Tśroch has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma on a hilly edge of the great plains. So probably more akin to the Wesr Emnet in Rohan. Tulsa is a sizable city alought not very compact. I'd say I live in Edoras.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Tśroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 05:46 AM   #46
Ringannunwen
Animated Skeleton

Ringannunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

hobbiton. apart from the fact that every thing is being buldozed(allthe trees and stuff)to make room for more houses [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2002, 07:38 PM   #47
briananoel

Sting

I live in Long Beach, CA, near a busy street, so there's not much of Middle Earth anywhere. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] But about a block away there's an old abandoned shack that makes me think of Tom Bombadil's house (even though there's no forest)
Old 11-15-2002, 08:21 PM   #48
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Tough. When I was little, there was green grass and flowers for miles around my house, and mostly children in my neighborhood. Just a few miles away, there are large hills (which the people here refer to as the "Sonoma Mountains"). Then, it was more like Hobbiton, I suppose. Now, there are houses built all around, and busy, busy, busy, and all sorts of people of--well, all sorts. Guess now it's more like Bree.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:48 PM   #49
Grendel
Pile O'Bones

Grendel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Grendel Send a message via AIM to Grendel
1420!

I live in Bree, I suppose. The village is built on a hill and the inhabitants resemble either hobbits or bree-folk. What's more, Archet(the wood) is very close to the local Breton "ar goat" or "ar choat" (depending on dialect) meaning simply 'the wood'.
Mind you it could be the Shire ... low hills, valleys, woods, hedges, small fields and little rivers.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:08 PM   #50
Grendel
Pile O'Bones

Grendel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Grendel Send a message via AIM to Grendel
1420!

I forgot to mention that the country of Rohan lies a short distance South from the village and that the castle of Rohan (the fortress of the Dukes of Rohan) is very impressive. I wonder if Tolkien knew of it? He certaiinly visited brittany at least once.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 10:39 PM   #51
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

Eruwen, would you mind telling me what site you got your picture from? It's really cool.

Ok. My town really doesn't remind me of anything Middle Earthish. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] But I live in south New Jersey, and there are soooo many farms around there. You know, the Shire stuff. And the campgrouds are really cool to film "scenes" from the movie in. Which I have already tried. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I can't wait until I can travel everywhere. Espesally to all the awesome places in Europe.(and New Zealand!) A lot of places there remind me of Middle Earth. And a lot of you seem to live there.
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:37 AM   #52
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Its really not fair, I live in Melbourne Australia and it doesn't resemble anything Middle-Earthish!! boohooo....
BUT in my school there is this HUMOUNGUS tree and it is exactly like the party tree in Hobitton which is pretty cool [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #53
FarathrimMaiden
Pile O'Bones

FarathrimMaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I might just live in rivendell. Its not quite nice enough, but its nice and there is a river. Also lots of pretty wooded areas that make me think of maybe the orad to rivendell? It might be the shire a little cause its got fields all round, buit prolly more rivendell than shire. And of course, be cynical, a touch of mordor and isenguard.

*Frodo most certainly does live.*

"Will you look into my mirror?"
"What will I see?"
FarathrimMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:06 AM   #54
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, great post by the way!
Ummm...let's see...Well, I'm in ID, USA so it is a mixture of a several places. If you've been here, you'd know what I mean. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] It has the rolling hills of Hobbiton, but it's not quite green enough to be that (they're making us tear out our beautiful grass-fields [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ) and there's lots more trees. It definitely has some Rivendell places close by, but I guess it's mostly like Rohan. But a little greener. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Confused yet? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Welcome to the Northwest. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*.·“ØØ)) -:¦:-
ø.·“ .·“ØØ))
((øø.·“ ..·“ Laialthriel -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((øø.·“*
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:16 AM   #55
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would say that where I live is probably like the old forest or Fangorn. It is very green with dense like woods, and old, very tall trees. I actually live near a place that looks very much like the way that they made Fangorn look in the film. We have trees that are covered with moss, and vines, and it is kind of dark. Maybe I have an Ent who lives near by [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 01:57 AM   #56
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Well, I like InnklingElf's and Lhunbelethiel's ideas. They make a lot of sense to me. And maybe they might see what I'm talking about. Have either of you ever been to Stern Grove, Mt. Daveidson, or Forest Hill? Ahh, so many memories...

I think that Mt. Dave represents the misty mts. because it can really get foggy up there, especially at night. Forest Hill and the Grove are like Mirkwood because it's very woody and we're like the elves having a grand old time and dissapearing and running when the cops, who are like the dwarves and Bilbo, show up. And then the Grove is like Rivendell because it's very woody and it's like a dell or a valley sort of. And Forest Hill reminds me a lot of The Old Forest (possibly Fangorn but not really) because it seems so strange sometimes.

And what about Golden Gate Park? That seems to remind me of Mirkwood, Fangorn, and the Old Forest. And Lake Merced reminds me of the lake outside the gates of Moria, and so does Pine lake in the Grove.

And the Shannon Arms reminds me a lot of the Prancing Pony. It just has that feel to it.

Well, that's all I can think of for now.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:48 AM   #57
Peacepoet

Eye

I would say that this area I live in is most like Bree with it's stores and small homes. If one was to drive the 45 minutes to the Adirondacks, one would find themselves in very much a Mirkwood (or even in some of the more isolated areas a Fangorn) look to the area.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:39 PM   #58
Arien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

I live on the outskirts of my town, we have lots of fields surrounding us, so I guess that Shire. But as you get closer to the centre of the town its more like Isenguard.

We have this really dark forest near us so I think thats most like Mirkwood. No one ever goes in there, and at night they say that witches go there.....thats just to scare little children though..... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] isn't it [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 03:01 PM   #59
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really do live in The Shire. I live near Sarehole, Moseley in Birmingham England. This was the place where Tolkien lived as a child. He played in Moseley Bog (A small wood) and used it as his inspiration for the shire in later life. He lived in Wake Green Road which is easy for me to walk to but I don't know which house. Unfortunately it is all built up around it with housing nowadays (Brum is England's second largest city and boy can you tell) but if you wander round the back of Sarehole Mill (the water mill is still there in the middle of this suburb!!)and into the parkland you can still imagine you are in the shire (if it wasn't for the noise of the traffic). The two towers are here too. One of them is in the University but no one has ever told me what the other one is as I am not a native of these parts. Any information gratefully recieved.
In my native lands in the north there is a huge gothic house called 'Cragside' in a wooded valley on the edge of the moors which I always thought of as like Rivendell as a child.
Sorry for rambling as usual.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:03 PM   #60
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Oh yeah, Mt. Dave also reminds me a lot of Weathertop. And the redwood forests around the bay area (the ones that I've seen) very much remind me of Lothlorien.

-Willie
Old 01-07-2003, 07:19 PM   #61
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Well I think Boise and the Treasure Valley most resembles the Riddermark in Rohan, because it has a sort of steppe-like ring of foothills sparsely vegitated with sagebrush and stuff (although, no, there is no Edoras in the middle). Bogus Basin is definitely a big Caradhras, in the summer the mountains are like Mirkwood. We've got a bit of everything.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:32 PM   #62
Pallando B.C
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando B.C has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pallando B.C
Sting

Hmm, well I live in Tasmania (10 points for anyone who knows were that is) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . It resembles, I think, the Carrock where Beorn lives.

Support The Aussies!
Pallando B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:34 PM   #63
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One of the cities in south or southwest Gondor beside of a river and not too far from the shores of the ocean. I live in a small town that would more resemble one of the cities on the west side of the Shire, but I say Gondor because the large city very nearby (Fayetteville, NC) is adjacent to Fort Bragg, the largest (or second largest?) military base in the United States of America. Pelargir maybe?

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:49 PM   #64
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Isn't Tasmania South of Austrailia, but part of Ausrtailia? I think it is, and it looks like one big island with some smaller islands at the north east and north west, but going more north, I think. Well, did I get those 10pts? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-Willie
Old 01-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #65
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

When I was a kid, our house backed up to a farmer's hayfield that in the summer was covered in wildflowers (a combo of the Shire and Farmer Maggot's land?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] About a mile away was a stand of eucalyptus trees that, as a kid, were much bigger than me, (my Hobbit self) and, thinking back on it, there were an awful lot of dangerous things there (rusted barbed wire, glass, nails...:rolleyes [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Dangerous...could have been a relation of Fangorn? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 01-07-2003, 09:42 PM   #66
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Since I live in the suburbs of London and Minis Tirith has been previously been equated to London, it would have to be a townland on the fields of Pelennor. I wouldn't exactly describe it as "fair and fertile" though [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] .

But I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that Tolkien saw the part of Middle Earth in which LotR takes place as Europe, with the Shire being England and Minis Tirith an Italian city (Venice?).
Old 01-08-2003, 12:08 AM   #67
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Wow Samwise, you live in Petaluma. So close. My cousins live up there. THe hills over in that side of the bay in Marin County remind me a little bit of the hills in Rohan in the movie. Do you agree? And after a hill caught fire and turned black, it looked like there was an orc burining up there.

-Willie
Old 01-08-2003, 02:44 PM   #68
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Where I live now is most defintely not reminiscent of anywhere in Middle Earth. However, until I was about 18 I lived near an old disused slate quarry in North Wales, which was a perfect minature Mordor. At one point they were the largest slate quarries in the UK. Immediately behind our house were huge, dark slate tips, with huge chunks of unwanted slate. Climb a little up the hill (and over the fence, past the DANGER signs) and many hours of fun were to be had, climbing down into deep quarry holes, finding tunnels and caves to play in. There were some huge caves linked by tunnels, some flooded. Whenever the sky was really dark and stormy (let's face it, in Wales that is often [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) then it was very atmospheric. Ah, the many happy hours I spent up there, climbing up to Cirith Ungol, or hiding from the Nazgul....

Come to think of it, it was probably not the safest place to play. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 06:11 PM   #69
Pallando B.C
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando B.C has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pallando B.C
Sting

Quote:
Well, did I get those 10pts?
Yes, you got them, MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie

That's some really good geography skills you have.

Support The Aussies!
Pallando B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #70
nuguernachil
Pile O'Bones

nuguernachil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

nope. sadly, i don't live near anywhere that looks even remotely like a LOTR local (especially not rivendell... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 08:39 PM   #71
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, Samwise... you are just a stone's throw from my locale in Napa, Ca. I like to think of the city of Napa as Dale in the footsteps of Erebor, with Mt. St. Helena as The Lonely Mountain (I just know there are dwarves mining away in there) and the Napa river as the River Running. Not to mention the fact that we have wine here good enough to knock out a wood elf or two... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:49 PM   #72
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

--
Quote:
Wow, Samwise... you are just a stone's throw from my locale in Napa, Ca.
Really, Mr. Palantir, sir? (or are you a Miss?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Wow! Think you may be the closest to me, yet! (though, funny--the only 'Downer I've ever met in person lives two states away from me...an' it's an evening I won't soon forget, Miss Rae.) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 10:55 PM   #73
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Wow Samwise, you live in Petaluma. So close. My cousins live up there. THe hills over in that side of the bay in Marin County remind me a little bit of the hills in Rohan in the movie. Do you agree?
Wow. That's two! I can't say about the hills, as I generally don't travel that far, but the hills (aka the Sonoma "Mountains") just a few miles behind my home could very well have some Hobbit holes dug into them. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 03:35 PM   #74
Sindafalathiel
Haunting Spirit

Sindafalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sindafalathiel
Sting

Hmmm...I'd have to say I live outside of Rohan, because almost EVERYONE in my neighborhood either has a horse (or two...) or lives on a horse farm. However, I live 2 miles away from a small historical town, and 30 minutes away from Washington, D.C (on a good day).
"My Legions of Terror will be an equal-opportunity employer. Conversely, when it is prophesied that no man can defeat me, I will keep in mind the increasing number of non-traditional gender roles." ~The Evil Overlord List
Sindafalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:42 PM   #75
Saenla

Sting

hmmmm...well, it's acording the where around me.... I live at the far east of ME (Maine, not Middle Earth ;-) though, I'm highly amused by that))

THere's one place that's by my house where it's just this huge forest, and my aunt and uncle own land with a small lake (more like pond) and again the huge forest....

THAN, right behind my house is the beach/ocean...but it's a rocky one... so I'm not really sure... BUT...

there's a place on the borders of Maine called Fryburg...and with the mountians and lake it's just breath taking... I felt like I was in the old ages, when the elves were in thier prime, looking into the distance.... okie... so I'm odd!
Old 01-09-2003, 07:01 PM   #76
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I live in the Appalachian Mountains ( The Misty Mountains) and there is a lots of old deep forest,(Mirkwood) rolling hills and lots of lush green farmland,( The Shire) wide plains with horse pastures like Rohan, there are deep ravines like that unto Imladris, there is an all white oak forest not far that is like Loth Lorien,
And THE WEIRDEST woods a few miles from my house like Fangorn.

I live in a small town, It is a very peaceful community but the people are rough and not always polite like the Wild Men of Brethil and up town is like MORDOR!!

There River is About 20 miles away,like Anduin.

There were many Bloody battles here, so in a history stand point might be like Gondor.

I don't know I have a pretty good mix of middle earth. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] You decide!!!
Old 01-09-2003, 07:09 PM   #77
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought of the area I lived as the Shire - lots of rolling hills, lots of farms & fields with the scattered forests here and there. Also in the back of my parents' property is an incredibly thick and old forest which always reminded me of the Old Forest.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:24 PM   #78
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There's a new road(which is actually completely a waste of money) being built in my town and they have to chop down lots of beautiful old trees. I kept thinking Saruman cutting down some of Fangorn forest.... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 10:08 PM   #79
Luthien
Pile O'Bones

Luthien has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Shire all the way, right down to the short pudgy farmer folk that live around central missouri. I live on a hill in the country with a forest and a brook(anduin of course), the trees are a mix of the old forest and lothlorien. I have yet more hills that remind me of rohan. I really do enjoy reading the lord of the rings to my trees(just in case they listen.)
Luthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #80
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

My grandparents more or less live in the shire, with a lot of forests and a lot of green, untouched nature.
20 miles away from them there are mountains that remind me very strongly of the Misty Mountains, a lot of Snow in Winter and naked stone in Summer.
Luckily there is now Mordor where I live. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote