The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2003, 01:55 PM   #81
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Really, Mr. Palantir, sir? (or are you a Miss?)
And here I thought I had a suitably masculine name, back to the drawing board I suppose... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quote:
(though, funny--the only 'Downer I've ever met in person lives two states away from me...an' it's an evening I won't soon forget, Miss Rae.)
Sounds like something I might travel two states for as well. *nods in recognition of the prowess of Samwise*
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:49 PM   #82
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well,around here,the town areas a lot like Bree(just the feel of it reminds me of it)when you get in the boonies,it's a little Shire like(with hills and everything)

the hobbits would love the budwieser factory in "Bree",although the "inns"aren't quite as respectable(unless there's a Babydolls in Hobbiton that I overlooked)

I need a good forest....
excheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:26 PM   #83
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

My mistake, Mr. Palantir, sir, as I'm not as farmiliar with languages an' such. However, masculine names don't necessarily mean much (I'm a she, as is a good friend of mine on here, Frodo Baggins) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]...
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 01:53 PM   #84
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mordor most resembles where I live. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It often feels like it!
Old 01-12-2003, 02:56 PM   #85
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

i live in a place very much like osgiliath at its peak.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:30 PM   #86
Fincarnwen

Sting

My flat is surrounded by trees, so I'd say Rivendell or Lorien... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 02:44 AM   #87
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I live in Nebraska in the US, so I would have to say I live in or near Rohan.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:57 AM   #88
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

My home definitley resembles the far downs as well, although not as many hills. We do have big mountains all around, though. I live in California, an hour and a half east of L.A.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:39 PM   #89
luin'loki
Animated Skeleton

luin'loki has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The place that best describes where I live is Hobbiton.It does so because,I live in the country,am sourounded by rolling green hills,very beautiful place.Where I used to live was most like Mirkwood. **sigh** I remember where I used to pretend I was in the palace.it was right in the middle of the brush.**sigh**.Trees everywhere.A path that runs through straight to my old cabin.Extremely beautiful.I'm going to move back to the brush in Rodney and start to build a large cabin there. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
luin'loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 PM   #90
Aredhelaran
Animated Skeleton

Aredhelaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I live 1/2 outside of Albany, Ny. It is pretty rugged out tehre. If there were no woods adn huge ugly boulders it might look a little like the Shire (rolling hills) bu then you got the sharp ridges and coyotes and bears. I think we would live near the Northern end of the foothills of the Misty Mountains. Of course, my bedroom looks a bit like Mordor [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Aredhelaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:32 AM   #91
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

ALL OF IT!

I live in Aotearoa/New Zealand.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:08 AM   #92
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I live in northen england, and in my local area there are many runes and some thing in the land scape just reminds me of Arnor (Weather Hills), but i was born in Galway (west Ireland) and i think that is so much like the Barrow Downs
Old 02-11-2003, 06:14 AM   #93
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I live in the Shire. A shire invaded by Saruman. With this areas, Northwest Indiana, trees farms and hills it look just like the Shire. But with it big time industrialization it seems as if Saruman has invaded it. Anyone else wonder why when a new store open up they always clear an area and build a new building, when there are plenty of empty building next door?
Old 02-11-2003, 06:35 AM   #94
Naldoriathil
Haunting Spirit

Naldoriathil has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Minis Tirith would be the one for me. When I Read the book I always think of my home town when I read about Gondor or Osgiliath. Keep going people!
Old 02-14-2003, 11:44 PM   #95
Lossenorodion
Pile O'Bones

Lossenorodion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lossenorodion Send a message via AIM to Lossenorodion
Question

im not quite sure but if there is a place with mountains and extreme hot and cold weather and rarely rainy days about 3 per month even though its getting bigger and faster each time,it is my home
Old 02-14-2003, 11:58 PM   #96
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

I live in Dallas, TX now, and that feels soooooo much like Mordor. But I grew up in Nebraska, and it definately had a Shire-like feel. It was so weird when I moved, because I grew up just near a town, not in a town, and then I move to downtown Dallas.

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Eressië Ailin ]
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 08:46 AM   #97
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
I know one thing,

My room looks like Moria. Filled with junk and dead things.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Maine Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:57 PM   #98
Fergo Baggins

Sting

My corner of Louisiana = Dead Marshes

Especially on a day like today when my backyard is a stinky swamp.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:44 PM   #99
Andephelien
Pile O'Bones

Andephelien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I guess you could say I live in the Shire covered with trees. With Bree as the city (although it is alot closer).
Andephelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:52 PM   #100
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I used to live in Southern Ontario and I had I conservation area right at the back of my house which I actually used to nickname the shire. For one it did have a big hill amd lots of other hills around it with trees. Where I live now in Alberta seems more like the area close to the misty mountains.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:52 PM   #101
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

I used to live in Southern Ontario and I had I conservation area right at the back of my house which I actually used to nickname the shire. For one it did have a big hill amd lots of other hills around it with trees. Where I live now in Alberta seems more like the area close to the misty mountains.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:55 PM   #102
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Sorry that I posted mine twice. My computer was being weird
Old 02-21-2003, 02:34 PM   #103
Fair Eärendil

Sting

The place where I used to live in México is very much like the Shire or the plains of Rohan, very much green in summer and lots of trees. Not at all like the Hollywood movies show México, they have distorted the image of that beautiful country. That place is in the mountains od Durango.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:51 PM   #104
Eru
Haunting Spirit

Eru has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eru
Shield

i'm surronded by trees and such. but it's surronded by a city. i could walk for an hour and not be bothered. but i'm going to have to go with something like in the realm of Gondor, next to a small city. whereever that is...
Old 02-21-2003, 09:00 PM   #105
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Well i live in a Condo and around the lot i live in is surrounded bt lots and lots of lot alike....so i dare say it feels like the Mines of Moria! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2003, 11:16 PM   #106
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Per "Mines of Moria!" quote above:

"There must have been a mighty crowd of dwarves here at one time," said Sam; "and every one of them busier than badgers for five hundred years to make al this, and most in hard rock, too! What did they do it all for? They didn't live in these darksome holes, surely? "

Sorry, couldn't resist throwing that in. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #107
Haelothiel
Animated Skeleton

Haelothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm from the Shire, near the Old Forest! Hey, I figure that if I live about 8 miles from a small town and fields are in every direction except where "my" forest is, it sounds pretty good. According to someone I'm in dwarvish country, but I don't believe it.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:36 PM   #108
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Pipe

my city resembles mordor, lol jk. no, probably osgiliath under attack w/ all the old brick buildings and potheads and hobos downtown. sad really, if you think about it. fortunately i live on the "better" part of town like 5 miles away [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:08 PM   #109
Imladrien
Pile O'Bones

Imladrien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I live on the northern fringes of Mirkwood...err....the New Jersey Pine Barrens. --Imladrien
Imladrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:32 PM   #110
Nimrodel
Haunting Spirit

Nimrodel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Brownlands look most like my home.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:42 AM   #111
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good evening! Greetings from somewhere near the foot of the Misty Mountains (well, some miles from them actually, in the foothills) in Tennessee, USA! I live on over 100 acres of land that resembles to me either the Old Forest just beyond Buckland or Fangorn forest. I am always on the lookout for Ents when I wander. There are some stone formations and one circle of stones at the top of a hill that I sometimes call Weathertop, although it isn't anyone's lookout post! Lots of small streams like the one Tom Bombadil is wandering along and perhaps some barrowdowns somewhere abouts here! I have found one Civil War relic--who knows? But I suppose the civil wars were in Gondor, weren't they? I'd love to find a blade of a Man of Westernesse up here, but it'd be rusted out from all the water! I'm also in search of the Entwash and a good Ent-draught (I'm still taller than Pippin though, and I've beat the Bullroarer by quite a bit now!) Great descriptions of places all over the world!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 01:00 AM   #112
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I live on The Plateau of Gorgoroth, but there are more Circle K's here than in Mordor.
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:01 PM   #113
GlingleglingleglingleFairy
Animated Skeleton

GlingleglingleglingleFairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I really have no idea, I'm from Auckland, New Zealand and the closest place in Middle Earth would probably be something like the Bay of Belfalas because there's pretty much sea everywhere. Although the are the Waitakere Ranges which are quite big hills I don't think any of the trees and bush is anything like what Tolkien knew. Also, coming down from the Waitakeres (to the west) there's black sand beaches which are wild and go really cool and misty in the rain but aren't anything like the idea I get about the beaches/sea in Middle Earth. The beauty there is far more alien and wild than Mirkwood. (Picture grey sea to the west, black sand at your feet, musky-looking dunes slightly east and dark, dark green bush that up close is all tangled and filled with ferns and trees.) So, that was my bit, the beach I was thinking of, by the by, when I wrote that is called Muriwai and if you've ever watched Xena on t.v, most of it was filmed there. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Some people prefer cupcakes. I for one care less for them.
GlingleglingleglingleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:13 PM   #114
Ringethiriel
Pile O'Bones

Ringethiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i live in the south of england and i would say that the area that i live would most resemble the shire because it is quite hilly and green with small groups of houses. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2003, 02:29 PM   #115
Adutincowen
Pile O'Bones

Adutincowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I live in The Middle of Nowhere, Missouri, USA... I guess it looks.... similar to the Shire, all green and hilly... and unpopulated...

*~Adutincowen Whitetree~*
Adutincowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:31 PM   #116
Chancellen the True
Pile O'Bones

Chancellen the True has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I live in NYC, so it's Utummo, hands down, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:09 PM   #117
Gilbo
Animated Skeleton

Gilbo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Baltimore has likeness to all of Middle Earth. There are great statues and monuments to long dead kings. There are nice homey areas. There are parks full of green and growing things. There are tall towers full of evil wizards.There are, also orcs and Easterlings, and evil men, full of evil deeds.And,Eru be praised, Pipeweed for all!
Gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 06:44 PM   #118
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Ruler of the Frogs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know - maybe someplace in Gondor? Anyway I live in a city. There are forests and stuff but not all around. If I just took my neighboorhood into account I would say Hobbiton, but I don't know all my neighboors and all that junk like a Hobbit wood. Definatly someplace in Gondor. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 AM   #119
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallando B.C View Post
Hmm, well I live in Tasmania (10 points for anyone who knows were that is) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . It resembles, I think, the Carrock where Beorn lives.
Haha i live in Tasmania too! I agree with you; it totally resembles what i imagine the Carrock would look like!
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #120
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Nice exavation of an old thread Elyna! I havent neen to Tasmania...maybe if I am lucky enough to go Aus one day... I did think Gippsland in Victoria was very middle earthy.

I live between the sea and a forest which is lovely but not as dark as Mirkwood nor as ancient as Fangorn and too Northern for Ithilien so perhaps somewhere in Beleriand. The bit of coast I live on has a view of a large island so it could be somewhere inGondor with a view of Tolfalas but since it has an ancient and distimguished history of shipbuilding so I could go for the Havens of Sirion. certainly a lot of Cirdan clones about.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote