The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2003, 09:47 AM   #1
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Who was the greatest Hobbit?

Like the other threads for dragons, elves and men, who was the greatest Hobbit. Frodo and Bilbo have strong cases here but my vote goes to Bullroarer Took (sp?) if it is who I am thinking of. Its the hobbit who leads the victory against the orcs and invents the game of golf at the same time!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] WHAT A GUY!
Old 01-28-2003, 12:37 PM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Opinion topics should be placed on the Novices and Newcomers forum - this one has been moved, so please read and post there. Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my opinion, inventing golf is a hanging offence. But maybe thats just me...

Greatest hobbit was definatly Elanor Gamgee. She gets the best dad in the world, and is maid of honour to Arwen queen of Gondor. What more could you ask for.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:41 PM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Frodo Baggins. You all know the reasons.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:13 PM   #5
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Ring

Hello! Frodo was the greatest! He saved the world, for elves sakes! The Bullroarer, one of Frodo's distant relations, maybe was the greatest in his time, but Frodo was definately the greatest of all time.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 06:59 PM   #6
cannedpoatoe
Haunting Spirit

cannedpoatoe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to cannedpoatoe
Sting

Can there be a tie?Well..I say Frodo and Sam because they saved Middle Earth gosh darn it,
Quote:
Frodo wouldn't have gotten far without Sam
yep yep....its a tie.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:01 PM   #7
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Marcho and Blanco cos they persuaded all the rest of the hobbits to leave home and travel [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2003, 08:21 PM   #8
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Samwise. That is the answer. Without him Frodo would have gotten no-where. He was a ring-bearer.He blinded and mortally wounded shelob. He was seven times elected mayor of the shire. He had thirteen children. THIRTEEN! That, my friends, is no mean feat(even though rosie did most of the work there, sam had his part [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). And he sailed to Valinor. I know Frodo had the ring, but he would have failed the quest if SAM wasn't there. Simple as that. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2003, 08:28 PM   #9
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

C'mon, no vote for Bilbo?

Most importantly he found the Ring,

Saved the mighty Dwarves (most notably Gloin Gimli's father, Balin and Thorin) from death by the Giant Spiders and from imprisonment by the Elves of Mirkwood,

He found Smaug's weakness, leading to Bard's great victory and ascent,

He selflessly took the Arkenstone out of the Lonely Mountain and so in the end helped the cause of victory in the Battle of Five Armies,

Wisely chose Frodo as his heir and gave up the Ring, no small deed,

All his other selfless deeds, like giving to Frodo his Mithril shirt and the sword Sting, generosity to other hobbits (alluded to by the quality of presents he handed out, etc...)

Not to mention he began the Red Book of Westmarch, which as we all know, is a treasure!
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:31 PM   #10
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Nope, it's Samwise.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:56 PM   #11
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Samwise. That is the answer. Without him Frodo would have gotten no-where. He was a ring-bearer.He blinded and mortally wounded shelob. He was seven times elected mayor of the shire. He had thirteen children. THIRTEEN! That, my friends, is no mean feat(even though rosie did most of the work there, sam had his part ). And he sailed to Valinor. I know Frodo had the ring, but he would have failed the quest if SAM wasn't there. Simple as that.
This is silly. Your logic does not follow.

Sam wouldn't have made the quest without Frodo either.

Forget that?

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 01-28-2003, 09:53 PM   #12
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Who was the greatest hobbit? GOLLUM of course, he was a hobbit right? Sort of a hobbit.. or something.. does he count?

(WARNING: THE RETURN OF THE KING SPOILERS) Don't read further if you haven't read the booooooook.

Quote:
"Hello! Frodo was the greatest! He saved the world, for elves sakes! The Bullroarer, one of Frodo's distant relations, maybe was the greatest in his time, but Frodo was definitely the greatest of all time."
Ermm.. technically GOLLUM saved the world, remember? Frodo was weak like Isildur. He couldn't give it up. If Gollum had not bitten off Frodo's finger and fallen into fiery chasm from whence the ring came, Middle earth and everything in it is screwed. Clearly Gollum is the hero of this story [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

Seriously though, Bilbo gets my vote. He is the one and only hobbit and/or ring bearer to give up the precious willingly after years of possessing (or being possessed by)it. Just like that, he gave it up. Plus, he is an artist! and a historian too. Also, the author of one of my favorite books "The Hobbit", hehe. Yes, yes we likes him.. nice hobbit Bilbo...
Old 01-28-2003, 10:44 PM   #13
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Peregrin Took. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

No, seriously, it's Frodo. Tolkien did say that Sam was the "genuine hobbit", but as far as Middle-earth is concerned, it would have to be Frodo. Sam helped him in his journey, but Frodo had to bear the Ring by himself most of the time. So Bullroarer was big, did he save the world? So Bilbo helped bring about the events in LotR by finding the Ring, did he carry it to Mount Doom?

Quote:
Frodo was very brave, wasn't he dad?

Yes, my boy, the famousest of hobbits, and that's saying a lot!
Old 01-29-2003, 03:05 AM   #14
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo. Well, he did undertake the quest and took the ring of power with the intention of destroying it.

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Inderjit Sanghera ]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:34 PM   #15
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Elrond said that Frodo would have a seat among the mighty elf-friends of old.... Hador, Hurin, Turin, and even Beren. Elrond's opinion is good enough for me, so I say FRODO! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I must admit though, Bilbo giving up the Arkenstone like that was wonderful! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2003, 05:31 AM   #16
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Frodo's weakness at Mount Doom doesn't come into it because no Hobbit could have thrown in the Ring.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:39 PM   #17
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I say that it's a tie between Frodo and Bilbo. Sam is a great hobbit, but Frodo and Bilbo are definately above Sam.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:26 PM   #18
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hate Sam. He has always annoyed me. What of the Old Took? He seemed quite wise.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #19
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] How could anyone not like Sam he such a good friend he never gets upset with Frodo even when Frodo snaps ant him. Also throuugh the entire war of thr Ring Sam stays as innocent and simple as any other hobbit who never left the Shire or saw such dark times.
Sam and Frodo are a team niether one would have made it without the other. my vote is definitly for Sam and Frodo!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 03:58 PM   #20
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i second elfchicks opinion
after all their journeys together, frodo and sam must be considered together rather than seperately. neither would have made the journey without the other.
thoguh bilbos adventures may have seemed fun, frodo/sams was serious and important
sure, he found the ring, but ultimately it was frodo/sam (mind if i call him frosam?) who destroyed it.
it obviously wasnt gollum, who didnt wish to destroy it at all, that was only chance, because he was following frosam.
the old took? we know absolutely nothing about him otherthan the fact that he was wise and lived to be 130. i dont really think that qualifies him
and the rest? no. it has to be frosam, because they saved middle earth. i vote frosam
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:10 PM   #21
Carrűn
Wight

Carrűn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say Bilbo since he managed to give the Ring up willingly (albeit with a bit of help from Gandalf). Frodo would get my vote for most famous.

However it also comes to mind that while Bilbo possesed the Ring longer than Frodo, Frodo's time with it was filled with much more peril and led directly into the heart of the Dark Lord's kingdom where the potency of the Ring would be at its height.

So maybe it's Frodo then.

To me it seems like a question to which there is no real definate answer.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:28 PM   #22
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Poor Frodo kept trying to give the ring away, but his intended recipients wouldn't take the icky thing! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 01-30-2003, 06:45 PM   #23
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Surely, Frodo must win hands down, for all the reasons that have been stated. He was the Ringbearer while the Ring was steadily gaining in power and brought it all the way through a multitude of perils right to Mount Doom, practically on Sauron's doorstep for goodness sake, thus precipitating its and Sauron's destruction and saving ME.

But, Bilbo is my favorite.

Quote:
thoguh bilbos adventures may have seemed fun ...
Well, they seemed fun because it is a children's story. But he was nearly eaten by Trolls, Wargs and Spiders, nearly killed by Gollum and Goblins, and nearly killed at the Battle of Five Armies, to name but a few of the perils that he faced. And he bandied words with a Dragon (and found Smaug's vunerable spot). So, probably not all that fun for him at the time. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #24
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Question

It'd have to be Frodo hands down for all the reasons mentioned above. Then, I'd go for Sam. Going to Mordor out of love for a friend isn't a tiny miny thingy.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #25
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
It'd have to be Frodo hands down for all the reasons mentioned above. Then, I'd go for Sam. Going to Mordor out of love for a friend isn't a tiny miny thingy.
Bandobras Took. He invented golf, after all.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #26
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Bandobras Took. He invented golf, after all.
Ha! It's Frodo, still. He bore the ONE RING. If you were joking, then, I'd say: Geez! Very funny.
If not, then, this quote may explain something to you!
Quote:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Frodo bore the Ring, that was trying to dominate his WILL every second of his life. Its power grew with every step Fro & Sam took to Mordor.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #27
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Ha! It's Frodo, still. He bore the ONE RING. If you were joking, then, I'd say: Geez! Very funny.
If not, then, this quote may explain something to you!

Frodo bore the Ring, that was trying to dominate his WILL every second of his life. Its power grew with every step Fro & Sam took to Mordor.
All the Rings are gone. Only golf remains. Golf is greater than rings.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #28
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
All the Rings are gone. Only golf remains. Golf is greater than rings.
Golf remains because the Ring is gone. Had it not been for Frodo carrying the Ring to Mordor, Souron would have won. And then, instead of playing Golf, people would be screaming with pain!!! All around darkness, sadness. I don't think people would even want to play Golf when it is dark like hell.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #29
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Golf remains because the Ring is gone. Had it not been for Frodo carrying the Ring to Mordor, Souron would have won. And then, instead of playing Golf, people would be screaming with pain!!! All around darkness, sadness. I don't think people would even want to play Golf when it is dark like hell.
On the contrary, I can imagine a miniature golf course designed along the lines of a Hieronymus Bosch painting.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #30
Smaug's voice
Newly Deceased

Smaug's voice has just left Hobbiton.
My vote would be for Smeagol's grandmother. Afterall, she did taught Gollum to "suck eggs".
Old 03-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #31
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The Gaffer's caretaker. Because Widow Rumble is the best Hobbit name ever. She must have been a wrestler in her spare time.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #32
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Samwise Gamgee

I vote for Sam; because while he and Bilbo are the only two beings to voluntarily give up the One Ring, he went further, taking the Ring while knowing the risks, in order to stop it falling into the hands of Sauron. It is no wonder that the relevant chapter is called The Choices of Master Samwise.

He then resisted the call of the Ring, which was offering to make him 'Samwise the Strong', due to his 'hobbit common sense'. Sam then, after rescuing Frodo, voluntarily gave the Ring back to him. In doing all this, he ensured that the War of the Ring was won.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #33
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The Gaffer's caretaker. Because Widow Rumble is the best Hobbit name ever. She must have been a wrestler in her spare time.
I assumed she just had chronic indigestion...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote