The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Werewolf CXIII: Death at Deadmen's Dike - GAME THREAD

The once grand city of Fornost Erain has long decayed into complete ruin. Over the years, the empty stones became home to many a creature. The Breelanders and other peaceful folk tells stories of the horrors that live at Deadmen's Dike, as the place became known. For many years the creatures prospered, until a vicious gang came down from the mountains. They were werewolves, shapeshifters. In the night, they slaughtered and hid the good ghouls and wights and mewlips and took their shape in the day, and planned to murder all the local residents one by one. But little did they know that among the simple creatures lived those with power to thwart them- and yet there also lived one who would do much to be accepted into their group.

NIGHT ONE BEGINS. WOLVES MAY TALK AMONGST THEMSELVES. SEER MAY DREAM. ALL OTHERS REST (special roles - just please confirm by PM that you got the role from the second round).

Living Players:
Inzil- surprise creature
Rune - slightly unsettling fox
Nerwen - Barrow Wight
Sally - Boo Joe, a teacup Pomeranian with abnormally sharp teeth and a Napoleon complex
Boro - a warg bred for a single purpose, never being on time
Lalaith - fell voice on the air
Pitch - undead vampire bat
Huinesoron - inverted gorcrow
Morsul - demigorgon
Shasta

Tally:
2 wolves (definitely not 3, as I almost had it!)
8 innocents: Moon Moon, Seer, Ranger, 5 ordos

Edit: for those unsure about the deadline, this post was made 22 minutes late, after DL.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-28-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Day 1

Day 1 begins (half an hour ago ). Narration to be edited in.

By the way, since my schedule is so irregular now these couple weeks, those who are around at DL should feel free to poke and prod be through any means if I am late with the post. I can send my contact info to interested people so you can bombard me with messages if I'm being neglectful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There is too much folk coming ro live here, it's getting crowded," said a fell voice on the air.

"Ah, this place is not like Taur-nu-Fuin of old!" pined am undead bat in echo, "these broken stones are a poor dwelling next to the tall pines of my youth!"

A fox joined the group, bidding everyone good morning individually and shaking their hand just a little too long for comfort.

They were having breakfast when "Surprise!" - a sudden cry came from behind a large stone. Startled, a teacup pomeranian in a bicorne hat dropped her food. "How many times do you need to be told to stop doing that?" she yelled at the offender, "This is your last warning! I will not have it any longer!"

The morning went on as usual until the absence of a normally abnoxiously talkative person was noticed. "Where is the Blossom of Dwimmordene?" the demigorgon asked. The search began.

The body was found dropped from a cliff. The gorcrow and the warg climbed down to investigate (though the warg was twenty minutes late in coming). They found a note crumpled in the lifeless hand.

"Two werewolves. Shapeshifters. Plan to kill everyone. Their nam..."

Everyone sighed in disappointment as the note trailed off leaving the names untold.

LIVING
Inzil- surprise creature
Rune - slightly unsettling fox
Nerwen - Barrow Wight
Sally - Boo Joe, a teacup Pomeranian with abnormally sharp teeth and a Napoleon complex
Morsul - demigorgon
Shasta

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-28-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:20 AM   #3
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fell deeds have occured this night; one of our own is slain, and it wouldn't even be polite to nibble on the corpse. (What? I'm a carrion bird, it's hard not to think about this stuff!)

The Blossom lies dead, and by her own hand has identified her killers. Werewolves! Cursed canines from the dark years. And if it is wolves we face, then ought we not to look first to the confessed canines among us?

Rune the fox; Sally Boo Joe the diminutive hound; Boro the warg; will you denounce these murderous kinsfolk of yours, or do you stand in league with them in the grim night?

(Of course it is nothing at all to go on, but the hours pass; carrion is easiest found while warm, and the same goes for murderers. A little suspicion might shake something loose.)
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:03 AM   #4
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Rune the fox; Sally Boo Joe the diminutive hound; Boro the warg; will you denounce these murderous kinsfolk of yours, or do you stand in league with them in the grim night?
I don't see why I should have to denounce anything! The Vulpini clan has had no dealings with the Canina clan for generations. Perhaps all Canidae looks the same to you!?

Personally I abhore violence, though in this case I say: "let's find these murderous swine and nuke them to hell!".

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:50 AM   #5
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
A dark figure loomed behind the mourners, the icy glow of its pale eyes like remote and baleful stars.

"Cold be heart and limbs so stiff,"
it moaned chillingly, in a voice desolate as the winter wind,
"and cold be sleep at base of cliff.
Unfinished the note in lifeless hand,
unnamed the ones with evil plans.
There shall she lie until the seas
dry in the Dark Lord's withering breeze-

-Wait, does anyone have a better rhyme for 'seas'? I'd really like to give the poor Blossom a hideous dirge worthy of her, and "breeze" just doesn't seem to fit the mood I'm going for."
Old 12-29-2017, 05:31 AM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
-Wait, does anyone have a better rhyme for 'seas'? I'd really like to give the poor Blossom a hideous dirge worthy of her, and "breeze" just doesn't seem to fit the mood I'm going for."
Trees? Knees? Sneeze? Fleas?

I don't know I wasn't bred for the purpose of writing laments for the dead.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

End of Day 1. Counting the votes.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

With three votes, Rune is lynched. He is a wolf.

Night 2 begins. Wolf, Ranger, Seer - do your work. People who did not vote toDay please do so toMorrow.

~~~~~~~~~

The Blossom of Dwimordene had a fine eulogy to send her off. The warg echoed after the latest poem, "bees, freeze, knees...".

"Enough poetry!" a cry went around.

"Dare not you offer insult to poetry", said the gorcrow hanging upside down, " or henceforth I shall offer suspicion only in verse!"

"Tweeze, frees, sneeze..." went on the warg.

"Geez, get productive already!"

"Yes, thank you - Geez!" the warg agreed happily. Everyone ignored him.

"It is the fox," said the gorcrow.

"Not so," said the fox, looking into everyone's eyes in turn and staring a little too long. "It is the surprise creature."

"It's the Wight," said the warg. "It's the warg, said the bat. "It's the dog," said the fell voice.

The pomeranian lifted her ears at the mention and bared her pointy teeth. "Always you debate idiocy and never listen to intelligent people!" She barked. "You said right off it is the fox. So lynch him! He's unsettling enough as it is, and it ruins my appetite."

"Surprise!" shouted the surprise creature as he pulled out a bazooka wielding raccoon who shot the whole round into the fox. The fox's body turned into one of a wolf.

The fell creatures cheered.

Then they ate the raccoon for dinner.

LIVING
Inzil- surprise creature
Nerwen - Barrow Wight
Morsul - demigorgon
Shasta

DEAD
Rune - wolf

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-29-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Day2 begins

"Who are you? What are you doing here? This is my dwelling!"

"You won't have need of it much longer."

"Why did you come here?"

"To kill you."

"Surprise ."

"Not really."

"That was sarcasm."

"Huh."

LIVING
Nerwen - Barrow Wight
Morsul - demigorgon
Shasta - squinting red eyes

DEAD
Rune - wolf, lynched D1
Inzil - ordo, killed N2

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-31-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:01 AM   #10
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Excellent - scratch one wolf! It's a shame about Zil (sorry I suspected you); I think his second vote for Rune would have cleared him in my eyes.

Since I seem to be the first one up again (gorcrows rise early), I guess I'll kick things off with a rundown of Who's Who among the survivors:

Nerwen - still nothing to go on.

Sally - cast a bit of suspicion on Boro, then dropped the third vote on Rune - but at a time when we would have needed two votes for the same alternate, in 20 minutes, from the remaining 3 people (6 votes cast + Sally makes 7 accounted for), for him not to be lynched. This could be a safe wolf vote, but doesn't really say anything either way.

Boro - Rune's early attempt to follow me onto his case makes him look less like a wolf, but his goofy behavior and 'let's not lynch! Wait, let's lynch Nerwen for no real reason!' lends support to Pitch's Moon Moon theory.

Lalaith - cast a vote for Sally that spread the vote out to five (half the village!). Gave at least marginal reasoning (Sally has been a pop-in-and-out wolf before?), but I'm still dubious.

Pitch - Now that we know he was an ordo, I guess it's okay to quote Zil's 'sensible Pitch is sensible'. Introduced the BoroMoon theory, then noted that BoroWolf has acted cobblerish before. Voted for Boro on that ground. Also argued against lynching people 'just in case'. Nothing really to suspect here (for me).

Huinesoron - Hello!

Morsul - Absent.

Shasta - Absent.

So that's 3/8 with absolutely no evidence, which is... great. -_- I'd like to hear more from yesterday's latecomers - in particular, why Sally thought it was dangerous to need 2 votes out of 3 in 20 minutes, and why Lalaith felt we needed five lynch candidates.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:15 AM   #11
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
So, this should clear up the question whether D1 lynches are useful or not, shouldn't it?

A look at the votes (known wolf bolded, known innocent italicized):

#40 Huey -> Rune (1), as announced in #35. Huey had playfully challenged Rune (together with Boro and Sally) in his first post, focussed on Boro for a while, then begun to suspect Rune mildly based on Rune's 'overly-strong agreement' with his suspicion of Boro, repeated this point in #32 and pondered voting for Rune, which he did after being counter-suspected by Rune.

Fairly coherent, perhaps a bit much so, since it was all based on one point in one post of Rune's, but of course we now know he was right. The only way I could see Huey doing this as a wolf would be if he's unexperienced at making up suspicions against innocents and thus resorted to wolf-on-wolf in lack of anything better, but if so it was rather daring in a pack of two. Seems genuine though, and I'd say he looks pretty good toDay.

#43 Rune -> Zil, as announced in #41. Known wolf voting known innocent. Had previously surfed on Huey's suspicion of Boro, my own BoroMoon theory and Zil's observation that Huey was being jumpy, then turned on Zil after declaring that he wouldn't want to vote for Huey on his first day.

In case there was any wolf-on-wolf afoot between Rune and Huey this sudden turn would make lots of sense. So does his reluctance to vote for a cobbler-candidate, if he really believed in this theory.

#46 Boro -> Nerwen, out of the blue, because he didn't want to vote one of the active people, and because she'd be dangerous if a wolf.

Random vote for a player who had just one early IC post, reasoning looking very much like he coughed it up ad hoc. Having slept over it I tend to agree with Zil (#53) that it was 'reckless for a wolf', but it didn't seem to me a vote with the village's best interest in mind.

#48 Pitch -> Boro. I'll leave this one for you to analyse, but Boro had been worrying me for much of the Day. I also had mild suspicions of Huey and Zil, and Rune's sudden turn on Zil raised my eyebrows, but with the rules saying the first person to get a majority gets lynched I didn't feel bad enough about any of them to give them a second vote.

#51 Lalaith -> Sally, because a distracted sally is 'a Very Bad Sally'. (Is that supposed to mean simply bad or Evil?)

Another vote for a player who had barely participated, based on reasoning that was rather meta. Not unlike Boro's vote, and spreading the votes thinner. I feel her pain about transatlantic deadlines, but I don't like this.

#54 Zil -> Rune (2), as announced in #53. Known innocent for known wolf, because of the way he latched on to other's suspicions, 'then moved from all that to vote for me'. This got the wagon rolling leading to Rune's lynch an hour from DL and probably made Zil a target for the Night kill.

#58 Sally -> Rune (3). Previously agreed with me about Boro's vote, but found lynching him too risky (duly noted), voted Rune 'purely to avoid a sudden shift we didn't expect'.

This vote cemented Rune's fate right at DL-- or did it? Even if one of the other candidates had got another vote (which was unlikely at this time), Rune would still have been lynched based on the Rule of First. Thus Sally's vote looks good on first sight, but could well have been made by a fellow-wolf who found D1 had gone horribly wrong in her absence and pushed what's falling to dissociate herself from Rune.

No vote: Nerwen, Morsul, Shasta. I'd really like to hear more from them toDay, and from yesterDay'S latecomers, Lal and Sally.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:48 AM   #12
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I feel her pain about transatlantic deadlines, but I don't like this.
Fair enough, I can see it doesn´t look great. In my defence all I can say is that it was 2am, I was a about to nod off when I remembered I hadn´t voted yet, I had a quick look at events so far but failed to clock that we already had four candidates.

Anyway, good news about getting a wolf first lynch - we must have a rather worried lone wolf somewhere. I must say it is a nice refreshing change to play an old-school game with roles declared on death and no funny business.
And what about our cobbler? They failed to spot/save their wolfy ally yesterDay..I would say that Huey and Sally look pretty good bets as non-wolves based on yesterDay´s voting but of course one of them might be a furious cobbler now kicking themselves...
A more convincing alternative might be a low-lying cobbler who withheld their vote while they were sussing out the potential pack...Nerwen, Shasta, Morsul, ho hum...
Old 12-31-2017, 06:20 AM   #13
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
This vote cemented Rune's fate right at DL-- or did it? Even if one of the other candidates had got another vote (which was unlikely at this time), Rune would still have been lynched based on the Rule of First. Thus Sally's vote looks good on first sight, but could well have been made by a fellow-wolf who found D1 had gone horribly wrong in her absence and pushed what's falling to dissociate herself from Rune.
Not quite getting this by the way - I don´t see how Rune´s fate was necessarily already sealed at the time of Sally´s vote, even though it was very close to deadline. Lets say a Sally-wolf is trying to save fellow-wolf Rune. Why not vote for Boro or Zil, (Nerwen would not be such a good bet as she had herself not voted at this point and would obv vote to save herself) hoping that one of Nerwen, Morsul or Shasta would also come in at deadline vote in this way? That would give Boro or Zil three votes, to Rune´s two.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:33 AM   #14
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Would it help if I promise to be less absent? And actually be watching the real game thread? I didn't think we were starting till after New Years, oops. Will dig into this tomorrow.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:41 AM   #15
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Not quite getting this by the way - I don´t see how Rune´s fate was necessarily already sealed at the time of Sally´s vote, even though it was very close to deadline. Lets say a Sally-wolf is trying to save fellow-wolf Rune. Why not vote for Boro or Zil, (Nerwen would not be such a good bet as she had herself not voted at this point and would obv vote to save herself) hoping that one of Nerwen, Morsul or Shasta would also come in at deadline vote in this way? That would give Boro or Zil three votes, to Rune´s two.
Not to say that couldn't have happened, but with mere minutes to go, how likely was it that any of them would vote after not having showed up all Day?
Old 12-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #16
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I am at a New Year dinner with family. Could someone please tell me the final vote tally at DL when the time comes? Pretty please and apologies.