The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye The Lord of the Grins. The One Parody

I have finished writing this Parody. It consists of The Followship of the Ring, The Two Townies and The Retinue of The King. The characters are Legless Greenteeth son of Thatfool, King of The Silly Elves of Northern Murkeywood, Grimy son of Grubby, of the line of Dunin Coalking of Khaziboom, Borrowit son of Denizen Stalwart of Minus Thrifty, The Grand Alf (Stage name of Alfred Grey), Paragon son of Paramount The Heir of Everdulls son Evenduller, Meretricious Brandishmuck (Messy), Perigrinate Talk (Pipsqueak), Stan Gamble son of Hamfist (The Grafter) and Fido son of Doggo. They must destroy The Nose-Ring of Sourone of Bad-Odour in the land of Morbid, by chucking it into the Cracks of Gloom in the Sanctum Noir of Mount Horridruin. In their way are The Nasal or Ring-Cyclists and their Lord, The Witchy-King of Wagner, Also Sourman of Oldcrank and his legions of Dorks. You will meet Tom Bombastic and Goldigger his Lovely young wife, Theocrat, King of Bovine, who sits on The Pocelain Throne in his Hall of Milkingshed in the capitol of Udderas. His people are The Ruminates or Riders of Ridicule, of which Earmore son of Earnaught is a Third Master. I am just leaving Faraway with Smear-Gob/Grumble heading towards The Staircase of Critter Ungodly and an encounter with the kin of her Ungodliaunt, Sheblob the fast food addict. Anyone wanting a sneak preview?????? Email narfforc@gmail.com

Last edited by narfforc; 02-28-2012 at 11:13 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Sure narfforc. I`d love to see a preview. This sounds interesting. By the way, welcome to the Barrow-Downs! Hope you enjoy your stay!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Ooh, just the list of characters has me in giggling fits! Sounds amusing at least, if not positively hilarious.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:48 PM   #4
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The BW doesn't usually allow parodies on here, narf. Have you registered with www.fanfiction.net? Then you can link us to it, and you'll get a lot of exposure from that too.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:58 AM   #5
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Lord of the Grins

I didn`t really want to put huge amounts of the parody on any website, I just want to gauge peoples opinion of it. I am a member of The Tolkien Society (UK) and have passed various chapters around to other members. I have been suprised by the positive response to it. I will not tell you my age, for being of Dunedain descent, I do not look it(I wish), but have been reading Tolkien since the 60s, I have over 150 books relating to Tolkien or his works. I set out originally to write something to amuse our Smial (Arthedain/Burnley Lancashire England), however like the book it grew out of proportion. people started telling me to get it published. I can say although I am making fun of the original, I am doing it out of love for the works of Tolkien, If I didnt do it then maybe some other ******* would who hates Tolkien, and believe it or not Preciouss there are a few. Although I am only up to The Staircase Of Critter Ungodly, I have sections of The Retinue of The King already written, of which my favourite at the moment is the confrontation between The Lady Earwax, Milkmaid of Bovine and The Witchy-King of Wagner on The Battlefield of The Pellmellory where as she rams her sword through his open visor, she asks "Who the hell is Norman", think of what he says in LOTR. The ending of the book is quite funny and involves Ed Randyman, but I will not spoil it for you. If anyone wants a preview email me at narfforc@gmail.com, Until The Dagor Dagorath may the blessings of Melkor King of Arda be upon you.

Last edited by narfforc; 02-28-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 AM   #6
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Update

Stan has just attacked Sheblob using The File of Gadabout. Over the years she has got fat and slow, this primarily is due to her addiction to Fast Food, This comes in the form of Dorkburgers from Muckdorkalds and Dentmucky Flyed Dork. The Dorks at The Tower of Critter Ungodly, have orders from Sourone of Bad-Odour, to fling any cowardly dorks from the tower, thus they come to rest dented and dirty at the mouth of Tore Ungodly (Sheblobs Cave).
Old 01-11-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sure reminds me of Bored of the Rings...
Old 01-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Bored of Bored of the Rings

I can assure you that it is not like Bored of the Rings. BotR was released in the sixties and is a product of its time. My book has Botox injections, mobile phones, GM crops, 3D projections and many more up to date articles. In themselves I suppose they are not funny, it is only in the context that are used in which they are, then again Jackie Onassis and Dino de Laurentis are no longer funny today, to a younger generation 35yrs after BotR was released. I would gladly send you some, so that you can judge me on the product, I have had emails from all over the world giving me encouragement, and members of The Tolkien Society in fact put me on the path to have it published, please send an email to narfforc@gmail.com and I will send you The Followship, Thanks.

Last edited by narfforc; 02-28-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
DOesn't matter if its up to date, still seems like another version of BotR, with all the crazy name changes and such, which was a major key in BotR, and which looks like a major key in your book as well...
Old 01-13-2005, 02:41 PM   #10
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

There are two types of parody, the first type is one that you can write for fan fiction ie for this site, which no one will complain about, if you use original names, but tell funny stories about them. The second type is the one where you intend to publish, like The Soddit, The Sellamillion, The Sillymarillion and Bored of the Rings. In this type you are forced by law to change the names, so in that yes, The Lord of the Grins has changed the names just exactly like Bored of the Rings had to, however my story follows more closely to the original, very unlike Bored of the Rings. There are many people who will not like to see Tolkiens works made into parody, if you are one of those then I respect your stance, but what I would say to you is that Tolkien gave us this work to expand on, I am just coming in through a different door, just like Jackson has done. I have many friends in the Tolkien Society, and most have a copy of Bored of the Rings, it does no harm, it is a bit of fun, however if I said I hate everything Tolkien ever wrote, then you would be quite right to denounce me. The real reason I have embarked upon this path, was to update Bored of the Rings, and not just invent a name like Arrowroot of Arrowshirt or Moxie and Pepsi, without giving them a history that can be qualified within the name change, like-

Messy (Meretricious Brandishmuck) who is always dirty.

Pipsqueak (Peregrinate Talk) who gets everything wrong.

Legless Greenteeth son of King Thatfool of The Silly Elves of Murkywood.

Stan Gamble son of Hamble Gamble, known as Hamfist or Grafter.

Fido son of Doggo.

Cellphone which is Telephono in The Qwerty Text of The Haughty Elves.

King Thingy (Elude Singular, Lord of The Thousand Cafes, Manygrowth of
Doorhehath)

Hewers son Chewer and their kin
Hewing and his son Chewin a Chewinbar, Glaring a Daggerin.

Events like-

The Downsizing of Neomanor or The Alackabath which is Atolslanted.

The Battle of The Last Abeyance.

Not only these I have included The Histories of The Wiztari, The Rents, The Riders of Ridicule, The Argonlamps, The Princes of Doltamlost, The Stalwarts of Minus Thrifty and many. In short I have not just given things A SILLY NAME, I have given reasons why, so if you can find any name in Bored of the Rings that equals-

Paragon son of Paramount Heir of Everdulls son Evenduller, Alesser the
Half-Stoned, Dulladan, Stranger of the North.

Or give me the name of the father of any of the following from Bored of the Rings, then I will admit my feeble attempt at comedy has failed.

Moxie
Pepsi
Gimlet
Legolam.
Frito
Old 01-13-2005, 03:42 PM   #11
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Well, I have only readed BOTR once (and never intend to do so again, on my honour!), and I have not actually read Master Narfforc's parody, but I thought that it might not hurt a little to point out the distinction between a more "commercial" parody, such as BOTR, and a parody such as Narfforc's.

The difference doesn't lie so much in the way the base material is rewritten, meaning that the new Joke-meanings of the names aren't the difference.

The difference is the care and attention given by author to his work. In the case of Narfforc, it would seem apparent that he writes his parody, because he LOVES the source-work, not to denigrate it, but as a kind of in-joke to amuse himself and fellow-fans.

For the same reason, his names and parodies will mimic the original more closely, and hence be all the funnier. If you KNOW what it's supposed to be (aka Tolkien trivia), then you will find a comedic slant all the funnier.

Of course, any kind of parody ultimately boils down to flattery. And even if flattery isn't always sincere, the very fact that something is being flattered testifies to a certain quality or gift in the original, which in this case is the Lord of the Rings.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:08 AM   #12
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I couldnt have put it better myself.

To Formendacil, Hi, You are quite right when you say I do this through the love of Tolkiens works. I have a number of parodies, done by various authors, that quite frankly can`t have read much Tolkien, and decided to jump on the bandwagon. In my story the aspects of all the characters and their race has been exaggerated or inverted and their histories made to fit. My hope is that those people who went to the cinema to watch the films and then read the books, will read mine and be confused, for there are many references to The Silmarillion. Now if I can get one percent of the people who buy my book to go on and read more of Tolkien, I will be a happy man. I hope to have the book published before June.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:11 AM   #13
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Talking about parodies, I have just read the hilarious Sillymarillion. If you haven't, rush out and buy it. This book is a masterpiece, and goes above any parody written so far. It takes humour to a new level.

Last edited by narfforc; 06-24-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well it's finished now, the first book is out on Amazon Kindle and the second book is due out soon......I hope that if you buy it you'll find the in-jokes funny. I wrote the book I wanted to read as a Tolkien reader, and it's taken nine years to finish.

because my crayon kept breaking.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Here you go: Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/Followship-R...0510795&sr=1-1 and US : http://www.amazon.com/Followship-Rin...0510963&sr=8-1
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #16
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The third book is almost ready....The Retinue of the King....thanks to any who have supported me.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
DanielTaylor
Banned

DanielTaylor is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
The Lord of the Grins.

Well, different people different choices. parodies is amazing. It was great to read and understand it. What about a next publication? Has it published?
DanielTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The poor man seems to have got himself banned.......................... wonder if it was for liking my books........(((((((shudder)))))))......