The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 AM   #241
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
You're not the only one. I was planning a song parody to keep you guys entertained while I waited to be lynched, but no such luck.
Well, we've still got all Day... I'm not averse to being sung to my death.

Moon Moon
Just killed a crow
Who found the wolf (at last) today
So it seems he has to pay

Moon Moon
Gets to join the pack
If Pitch can't work out how to get away...!

Moon Moon
(Ar-ar-aroooooo!)
You've got everything you dreamed
So if you can keep from tripping till tomorrow
Carry on
Carry on
(And I'm sure they love you really...)

(With sincerest apologies to Queen, and none at all to the goofy wannabe or the wolf who now has to live with him. )

~

... I've just noticed that Boro's very first mention of another player on Day One was 'Pitch and Rune seem alright'. Hindsight is seriously impressive, ain't it?
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #242
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Are we gonna pretend the game is still going or should I declare victory early? Up to you endgamers, if you wanna revel in tour last Day.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #243
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Are we gonna pretend the game is still going or should I declare victory early? Up to you endgamers, if you wanna revel in tour last Day.
I'm happy to end early; those two keep looking at me and licking their lips, it's freaking me out.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:56 AM   #244
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ein lied, zwo, drei!

Since Huey insists...

My wolf, my wolf,
Don't lie to me,
Tell me: Whom did you kill last Night?
In the pines, in the pines
Where the sun will never shine
I did shiver the whole Night through.

One squinting eye lay in a pool of blood,
And the other lay miles from here,
With gorcrow feathers strewn around,
But no body ever was found.

Moon Moon, Moon Moon,
Where will you go?
I'm going where the cold winds blow.
In the pines, in the pines
Where the sun will never shine
I will shiver the whole Night through.

(Apologies to Leadbelly and Nirvana)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #245
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Endgame. Wolves Win!

As the four survivors awoke, they knew it was a race to the finish. Either they will get the wolf, or the wolf will get them.

The gorcrow began to swing a club at the vampire bat, but being upside-down, he missed.

"I am the wolf!" cried the bat as his shape turned into one of a werewolf. "Aid me now, my faithful apprentice, and you shall be rewarded!"

"Of course!" said Moon Moon the warg, "Look, I'm doing a victory pose!"

"Not now, Moon Moon! I will take the eyes, you take the gorcrow!"

And together they feasted on the flesh of the creatures of Deadmen's Dike.

LIVING
Boro - a warg bred for a single purpose, never being on time - COBBLER/MOON MOON
Pitch - undead vampire bat - WOLF

DEAD
Rune - wolf, lynched D1
Inzil - ordo, killed N2
Nerwen - Ranger, lynched D2
Morsul - Seer, killed N3
Lalaith - ordo, lynched D3
Sally - ordo, killed N4
HS - lynched in endgame
Shasta - killed in endgame
Old 01-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #246
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Congrats to the Forces of Evil!

Pitch was masterful as a solo wolf, and I envy Boro for having had what I consider the most fun role in WW.

It was a little gratifying that my intuition did lead me to say this early on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post
It's scary that I agree with Pitch so much so early.
but I also enjoyed actually not having my innocent self lynched, which is a rarity.

Thanks G55 for the game!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #247
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I dreamt innocent Zil night one and thank IRL work schedule plus meetings the day 1 slipped my mind. The days run together sometimes.

Dreamt innocent Sally

Then died after dreaming MoonMoon Boro.

I legitimately have no idea why Boro got a free pass for clearly voting just to vote.

Pitch didn’t enter my mind at all as a wolf.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #248
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

A post-mortem of Huinesoron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coroner's report
The remains of subject GORCROW were found scattered across a wide area. The primary evidence of its death were a large number of feathers; the meat they were once attached to was--
No, that's not quite what I mean.

Day One

Day One I got lucky. I do think Rune overreached with his tag-along accusation of Boro, but I was also lucky that so few people showed up! Only half of the players were active before I had to leave, which meant it was much easier to focus on each of them. Pretty much perfect for a first game Day One. That said, the case against Rune was always weak, and could easily have been the work of an innocent.

Day Two

Day Two exposed the downsides of my first day. I was now firmly in the mindset (that I didn't get out of until Day Four) that wolves would be caught by their spurious logic. That got me caught up on the fact that most people looked okay, and then on the Sally&Morsul case against me. I still don't get how 'wolf-on-wolf is possible' turned into 'wolf-on-wolf must have happened'; Morsul, what was it about me that made you convinced enough to run the risk of people falsely assuming a Seer read?

I also stayed hung up on the BoroMoon theory - ironically correct, and even more ironically proposed by PitchWolf! - which led me down a twisty side-path regarding Sally. I tunnelled on this for a while, managing to miss the fact that it didn't make much sense.

Morsul's reveal threw me for a loop. It took both Sally and himself off the table, and they were the people I'd focussed on all day. You can see me scrambling around to find anything against anyone else, and eventually picking Nerwen. Um, yeah, that didn't end well.

Day Three

Day Three exposed a big problem, and that's the way my playstyle interacted with the time of the deadline. It turns out that I'm very bad at considering people who aren't there; BoroMoon slipped entirely under my radar by the simple act of barely posting on Days 2 and 3. I also never really went back and looked at Shasta's accusations against Pitch - because Shasta wasn't there to pursue them. Sally and company discussed this after I was gone.

The timing also meant that Pitch had a lot of opportunity to reinforce my lack of suspicion in him without too many other people around. But... honestly, I think I would have voted Lalaith even if Pitch had been entirely absent. She said too much that came across as logical errors, misinterpretations, and just plain wrong statements, and had a hard time naming suspects. I know Lalaith is the reading I was most confident in.

Day Four

Look! I finally figured it out!

Except I only got PitchWolf pinned down because of BoroMoon's vote, not because of any reading on Pitch. So I still didn't really get there (and in consequence, I got et). In fact... I've looked back at Shasta's posts against Pitch, and I still don't see it. I think the idea is that Pitch was pushing too hard on Boro as a wolf after initially pegging him as Moon Moon - but I'm having a very hard time seeing his actions as more suspect than (say) Lalaith's.

Conclusions & Lessons Learned

-Never use the word 'see' in Werewolf. (Haha, I've already used it three times in this post... I just can't help it!)

-Look at other people's accusations in detail, bearing in mind the suspect's arguments, behaviour, and voting record.

-Don't trust innocents' judgement just because they're innocent. I ignored BoroMoon partly because of Sally's confidence in him, and was guided into the Lalaith lynch partly by Pitch (who I thought was innocent at the time...!).

-Don't be too defensive. I'm thinking that only actual accusations need to be replied to, not random comments that could lead to them.

-Don't get up at 3am to try and get the drop on the wolves; it doesn't help.

Well, I had fun, and I survived to the final Day as a newbie; I'll take that. Congratulations and well played to Team Werewolf, and thank you to everyone - especially Galadriel55 for setting it all up and bringing me in!

hS
Old 01-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #249
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
You acted suspicious to me. I only acted on those suspicions. Also don’t really appreciate being called a liar.(unrelated but that comment irked me.)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #250
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I would have dreamt you instead of Boro had he not so obviously been evil after his vote Day 2.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #251
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
You acted suspicious to me. I only acted on those suspicions. Also don’t really appreciate being called a liar.(unrelated but that comment irked me.)
... oh, right. That. I'm sorry for calling you a liar. I was trying to stress that we should trust the Seer rather than claiming he'd done things he hadn't. The idea that you'd dreamed Night One, then got mixed up, and then that the person you'd dreamed was dead and not worth mentioning, didn't even come close to occuring to me. I'm sorry.

For potential future games - can you be more specific on what you think was suspicious? Having the Seer focus near-exclusively on you when you're innocent is pretty unnerving...!
Old 01-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #252
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I have to say I got a kick out of the Day 1 goofiness. Boro was a spectacular cobbler. It was hilarious to watch from the side how he was doing absolutely nothing except messing with people and preventing solid discussion.

And this was an extra bonus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I don't agree with Rune's assessment that
-- I mean, I see no attempt to even seem productive in Boro's posts so far, just fooling around. I say he's Moon Moon and acting extra goofy so as to alert the wolves to his role. Discuss!
But the weirdest thing is the village still managed to lynch a wolf despite an evil predominance on the game thread that whole Day.

And the next Day Shasta came and basically said "Pitch is a wolf, lynch that guy". Why do we even need a Seer?

You guys were fantastic! I'm really sorry I kept screwing up the deadline time. I hope everyone enjoyed nonetheless.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #253
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Also, fun fact: initially I screwed up the roles and made 3 wolves out of habit and inattention instead of 2. The original team was Nerwen, Shasta, and HS. Just imagine what that would have been like!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #254
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Also, fun fact: initially I screwed up the roles and made 3 wolves out of habit and inattention instead of 2. The original team was Nerwen, Shasta, and HS. Just imagine what that would have been like!
Total annihilation. *shudders at the thought*

This was a fun straightforward game, thanks to G55 for modding and for your crisp and funny narrations! Rune and I were originally concerned that the late deadline (4am for both of us) would be a strong disadvantage for us, but combined with the Rule of First it actually worked out in our favour, allowing me to mess with Huey's mind without too much interference. (I honestly think the Rule of First is a daft rule though -- the last in a tie should be considered the village's best-informed choice; that's just an observation though, no criticism of G55's modding.)

I've always dreaded being left as a lone wolf, the one time it happened before I was easily lynched (by Sally and Lottie IIRC), but since it happened early and nothing obvious linked me to Rune I found it surprisingly exhilarating to have nobody and nothing to worry about except avoiding the noose at Day and choosing my menu at Night - a bit like a Werebear, I guess, except I wasn't really on my own with a cobbler in the game.

Speaking of cobblers, I was semi-kidding with Boro as Moon Moon on D1 but when Huey thought it made sense I rolled with it, mainly to avoid going wolf-on-wolf against Rune and maybe to draw some of the votes away from him, as Shasta saw correctly. N2 I thought Huey might be the Seer, since he went after Rune so single-mindedly, and almost killed him (!) but thought he might be protected, so I went for Zil instead, which worked out well I think.

D2 I didn't think much about the cobbler, although I considered Lalaith a possible one for her lack of suspicions which looked a bit like she was wary of lynching a wolf by mistake. (Yes, dear, I know you were pressed for time, but I couldn't make excuses for juicy lynchbait, could I?) I might have gone after Sally, but here comes Morsul and bang, he's the Seer! Fun fact: I really voted Lal to save Nerwen because of the Eye thing, thinking to maybe build a defense from that the next Day, but the village decided to be helpful and lynch their Ranger. That was just dumb luck.

D3 I became quite convinced that Huey was my cobbler and enjoyed quoting his declarations of my innocence to my wife. Sorry, Huey - I've played an involuntary cobbler more than once as an ordo, it can happen. I might have been in for a nasty surprise this morning, but Boro's vote and his comment on it on it tipped me off that I had been right about him after all!

Boro, I'm curious - who did you think the remaining wolf was before toDay?

Everybody - it was a pleasure to play with you again after so long! I've missed this.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #255
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I do think Rune overreached with his tag-along accusation of Boro
I swear I cursed at the screen when I saw this, and you were totally right to point the finger at it; it was such an easy standard textbook suspicion. Good wolf-spotting!

(Rune, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed wolfing with you and was sorry to see you go. I wish we could have shared the Night kills! You left no ties to me, that helped.)

Quote:
honestly, I think I would have voted Lalaith even if Pitch had been entirely absent. She said too much that came across as logical errors, misinterpretations, and just plain wrong statements, and had a hard time naming suspects.
Boro addressed this: innocents, because they're flying blind, can make mistakes, slip up, misread things just as well as wolves; wolves on the other hand, knowing who is on their side and who isn't, can be mercilessly logical and coherent. Also, appearing to be helpful by answering questions and clarifying things is great cover for a wolf!

Quote:
I've looked back at Shasta's posts against Pitch, and I still don't see it. I think the idea is that Pitch was pushing too hard on Boro as a wolf after initially pegging him as Moon Moon
This - I even said myself that the cobbler isn't our main concern, but Boro just made too convenient a target to let go. Also note that I commented on a few suspicious things that Rune had done but never followed up on it. "Hmm, yes, his sudden suspicion of Zil is fishy -- Oh, look, a butterfly!"
Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #256
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
I honestly think the Rule of First is a daft rule though -- the last in a tie should be considered the village's best-informed choice; that's just an observation though, no criticism of*G55's modding.
Interesting, and fair enough. I will consider this for the future. Personally, I kind of hate the rule of lasts - at least in my experience it often ends in people waiting for the :00 on the deadline to post their vote to make sure it comes in, in later Days. It's a backwards race of who comes in last. Maybe I just don't like it cause once my side lost through such voting cause our vote came a bit too late, at DL:01. Maybe doing a dice roll or no lynch are better alternatives. No lynch has also been misused though - but maybe that's also part of the game.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #257
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I’m just still curious why Boro got a pass?
Old 01-05-2018, 01:17 AM   #258
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pitch was a wolf because of his Day 1 attempt at saving Rune, his subsequent shading of me when I pointed it out, and his "oh, sure, yeah, you're right" attitude towards my suspicion of him (there's a reason his nickname is Mr. Agreeable). My own reasoning didn't have a ton to do with Boro, to be honest.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:18 AM   #259
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Sting

Well, congratulations you nasty mangy lupines! And well done recovering from the Day One disaster! (By the way, isn't Rune a Double Fenris now?)

I can't help feeling this was my fault for letting myself get lynched- my internet had died repeatedly that day and I should have voted when I had the chance.

I did hope the Eye icon would give people pause. But apparently only Pitchwolf noticed!

Still, at least Moon Moon was Boro and not Huey. I'd have felt so embarassed having to admit I'd protected the cobbler!