The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Werewolf CXIII: Death at Deadmen's Dike - ADMIN

The once grand city of Fornost Erain has long decayed into complete ruin. Over the years, the empty stones became home to many a creature. The Breelanders and other peaceful folk tells stories of the horrors that live at Deadmen's Dike, as the place became known. For many years the creatures prospered, until a vicious gang came down from the mountains. They were werewolves, shapeshifters. In the night, they slaughtered and hid the good ghouls and wights and mewlips and took their shape in the day, and planned to murder all the local residents one by one until they had complete monopoly on the Bree stock market!

Did you think the Breelanders were gonna be the ordos? That would have been too predictable.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Welcome to werewolf!

Last summer I discovered that a good number of werewolfing Downers are quite uneducated on the topic of Moon Moon. For those of you who are not familiar with this special individual, Moon Moon is a retarded wolf and has a great skill for exasperating and annoying the other wolves. No, he is not real. Among other things, this game is meant to educate Downers on this marvel of nature (*cough*the internet* cough).

ROLES:

Ordos: the foul creatures inhabiting the Dike for decades past, minding their own business, and generally being harmless (except to the occasional straggler).

Seer: your typical Seer. One dream a Night, starting Night 1. Will see all roles.

Ranger: the [somewhat confused] corpse / spirit of a Ranger of the North, killed by the creatures a long time ago, and now putting his skills to use by protecting his new people (and happily eating Breelanders with the rest of them). Typical Ranger. May self-protect. May not protect the same person 2 Nights in a row.

The "innocents" wins if all the Wolves are eliminated.

Werewolves: a vicious band of shapeshifters. 2 or 3, depending on how many people sign up. Kill one individual during the Nights. On Night 1 may talk but do not kill. Win if their number equals to or exceeds the number of innocents on tally. Bonus points if Moon Moon does not survive the game.

Moon Moon: cobbler; a local werewolf. Counts as innocent in the tally, but wants to join the wolf pack and tries to help them. Wins if wolves win. Bonus points if survives the game.

Note that in the event of wolf victory, either the wolves or Moon Moon must compromise something. If Moon Moon survives, the werewolves must accept him into the pack and suffer his constant stupidity. If Moon Moon bravely dies in attempt to assist the wolves, they will surely think more kindly of him, but he won't be around to see it. In both cases, they are victorious, but it's only a partial victory for one of them.

Here are some Moon Moon memes, to start you off on your education*:

*Moon Moon memes are encouraged from all and shall not be used as evidence against a player.

Deadline: Either 7-10 pm EST (12pm-3am GMT if I'm not mistaken. Local time now as I'm writing this post is 8:30 pm, for reference), OR 7-8 am EST (12-1pm GMT). I prefer the first option because it gives me more time around the deadline and I'm more likely to be there. But I'm flexible on the DL time, and if you don't mind waiting a bit for the narrations it can even be shifted a bit off the times I have up.

Voting: please ++highlight your vote, using [highlight] ++NAME [/ highlight] as the template (without spaces).

In the event of a tie, the FIRST person to get the highest number of votes is lynched.

During the game, set your mode to invisible!

PLAYERS: (feel free to specify or leave unknown what type of scary creature are you)
Inzil
Rune - slightly unsettling fox
Nerwen - Barrow Wight
Sally - Boo Joe, a teacup Pomeranian with abnormally sharp teeth and a Napoleon complex
Boro
Lalaith - fell voice on the air
Pitch - undead vampire bat
Huinesoron - inverted gorcrow
Morsul - demigorgon
Shasta

If you have thoughts on game dynamics or theme or anything else, I'm open to suggestions. I'm not sure how the cobbler role will work in small numbers, and I might take it away if we have too few people. The game is supposed to be simple and fun, not super stressful and complicated.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-29-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:08 AM   #2
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes please! I've been dying for a game for ages.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:51 AM   #3
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
As a scary creature I will be a fox with a pendence for maintaining eye contact the entire conversation and lingering pawshakes.

Any good, or did you have something else in mind?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Yep I'm joining
Old 11-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
As a scary creature I will be a fox with a pendence for maintaining eye contact the entire conversation and lingering pawshakes.

Any good, or did you have something else in mind?
Would it be okay to summarize that as a creepy fox?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Would it be okay to summarize that as a creepy fox?
Slightly unsettling fox? Intense and awkward fox?

Creepy fox would be encroaching on Gil-Galads territory.

Do as you like, but I would like for the description to vary in each narration. Is that too much to ask?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Do as you like, but I would like for the description to vary in each narration. Is that too much to ask?
We'll see how much time I have to write each narration.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Hang on, I didn't vote for this....

I will be Boo Joe, a teacup Pomeranian with abnormally sharp teeth and a Napoleon complex.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I can't think of any creature I'd prefer to be. Surprise me!
Old 11-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #10
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I will be Boo Joe, a teacup Pomeranian with abnormally sharp teeth and a Napoleon complex.
A teacup Pomeranian does sound absolutely horrific! Unless of course you are talking about a dog...

Old 11-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Depending on when the start is, you can pencil me in. A game spanning the Christmas holidays would be v good news...
Old 11-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Depending on when the start is, you can pencil me in. A game spanning the Christmas holidays would be v good news...
Around the Christmas holidays would be good for me too, but that would be the latest start date I could do. My next vacation is beginning of January but going to be occupied in Florida with my cousin's wedding.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hmm Christmas holidays are actually more difficult for me, as it's a lot harder to commit to anything regular when I'm with my family. I was thinking to start sooner, as soon as we get enough people really.

Speaking of which, can one of you facebookers twist some arms for me please?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:15 AM   #14
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Speaking of which, can one of you facebookers twist some arms for me please?
I already posted in our Barrow-Downs group, but that hardly constitute arm twisting.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #15
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Five years of Werewolf abstinence were long enough.

I'll be a bat; a vampire bat, some late scion of Thuringwethil. An undead bat... as in: not dead, just resting, pining for the pines of Taur-nu-Fuin...
Old 11-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #16
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

3 more people and we can definitely start with 2 wolves (but maybe without the cobbler - thoughts?). 5 more and we can have the cobbler and maybe another wolf (also thoughts?).
Old 11-28-2017, 05:02 AM   #17
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
3 more people and we can definitely start with 2 wolves (but maybe without the cobbler - thoughts?). 5 more and we can have the cobbler and maybe another wolf (also thoughts?).
Two more people is still only nine players in all... so yes, maybe lose the cobbler in that case.

I'll be a barrow-wight. Someone has to!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #18
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

I shall get to arm-twisting post haste, my Lady!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #19
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I shall get to arm-twisting post haste, my Lady!
Godspeed, my Napoleonic pomeranian!
Old 12-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #20
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Having been prodded in this direction by Galadriel, I shall swallow my fear and sign up as an inverted gorcrow. That sounds worse than it is - I'm not hideously malformed, I just have a bizarre tendency to hang and occasionally fly upside-down. ^_^

I've never played forum Werewolf before; I've played a fair bit of One Night Werewolf with family (though don't think that means an easy ride: my parents absolutely delight in nailing me to the church door!), though, so I at least know not to start by posting "What does it mean when it says 'PM with other wolves'?".

Highlight check - oh good, it works like I thought. (Votes are generally non-retractable around here, is that right?)

Now I guess it's time to wait and see if long-winded theorising about Middle-earth can make the transition to long-winded theorising about the nefarious nighttime habits of the local fauna...

(For reference: male, UK-based.)
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #21
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
"What does it mean when it says 'PM with other wolves'?".
All Night communications are done via Private Message.
(You can access your messages in the top right corner of the screen, and you can send messages to <5 people at a time: select "send new message" on the menu on the left of that screen, and type in the name(s) in the Recepient field - they will pop up).

Seer, Ranger, and wolf picks are sent to me by PM before the end of each Night.

Before choosing the kill, wolves also PM amongst each other to decide who to kill, plot strategy, and share any other thoughts they want.

Speaking of this, another thing I forgot to put in the first post, but will edit now. All players must use Invisible Mode during the game (User CP (top left of every screen) --> Edit Options (on left) --> check the box for Invisible Mode at the very top). That way other people can't see who is PMing every Night.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:24 AM   #22
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks!

I suppose it's probably better to ask this than risk any confusion, though I'm sure you'll put it up in the rules anyway - the Downs usually has unretractable votes, is that right?
Old 12-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #23
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Thanks!

I suppose it's probably better to ask this than risk any confusion, though I'm sure you'll put it up in the rules anyway - the Downs usually has unretractable votes, is that right?
Unless otherwise indicated, yes.

Now, listen, Barrowdowns Werewolf has been running for a looonngggg time, in the course of which we've developed our own peculiar customs and terminology- you may want to have a look at this.

Anyway, welcome to Deadmen's Dike!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:30 AM   #24
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Thank you! I shall read it thoroughly so I can make a fool of myself in new and unexpected ways.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #25
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Need another?
If so I'll be Demigorgon
Old 12-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #26
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Excellent! I shall edit you into the list shortly.

Now if I'm not mistaken this makes 9 players, which means we can technically start playing with 2 wolves. Are people okay to start in the next few days or do you prefer to wait until after Christmas?

Also, this is the warning call for anyone to sign in / drop out last minute.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #27
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Shasta wants to play. He just keeps forgetting to sign up. (Read, he has been a busy wolf boy and I will nag him again, so save him a spot.)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #28
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Shasta wants to play. He just keeps forgetting to sign up. (Read, he has been a busy wolf boy and I will nag him again, so save him a spot.)
I woke up at 6 cause I worked 15 1/2 hours yesterday, sorry. 'M here now though, hi.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #29
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Now if I'm not mistaken this makes 9 players, which means we can technically start playing with 2 wolves. Are people okay to start in the next few days or do you prefer to wait until after Christmas?
Starting just before Christmas seems like a good way to spend Christmas Day being told off... I can do either way, though I'll probably be more available after.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:17 AM   #30
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I could do either - will be busier just before Christmas than just after but whatever suits everyone else...oh and I will be a fell voice on the air.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #31
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Same here, I'll be busyish on Christmas Eve but should have lots of time from the 25th onwards.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:22 AM   #32
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Same same but different.

I will be busy prior to the 24th and I will be busy after, so it makes little difference to me. I will participate as well I can either way.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #33
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I have to work this weekend, and of course Christmas Day will be family stuff, but I'll manage if we start now. No drama either way.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #34
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I can do either. The earlier the better though, because by Jan. 8th I won't be able to participate at all.

And with 10...I think we can keep Moon Moon right? I just always have a soft spot for cobbler roles and hate to see them not in a game. But shouldn't be unbalanced...2 wolves, 2 gifted, 6 ordor (1 of them though Moon Moon)

Last edited by Boromir88; 12-20-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #35
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Okay then, up to 10 players with Shasta (excellent!) and due to popular opinion will start on the 26th or 27th.

Re cobbler: I think 10 people is pressing it to have an extra unbalanced vote, but then again I'm not known for good game planning. It could work though, I get N4 as endgame in worst case scenario which gives enough opportunity to lynch a wolf or do some gifted shenanigans. Perhaps a cobbler is reasonable. Other votes for the cobbler?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:08 AM   #36
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

No special opinion on the cobbler, but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
6 ordor
I love you for using the Quenya plural!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #37
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Update

Starting on the evening of the 27th. Deadline will be 10pm EST (3am GMT if I counted correctly). Roles will be sent out early on the 27th. Sign ups will be open until roles are sent out.

There will be a cobbler unless someone speaks against it. Speak now or forever hold your peace.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #38
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I love you for using the Quenya plural!
Is that when you know you've been here too long...when your typos have a Tolkien connection?

And I've decided to be:

a warg bred for a single purpose, never being on time.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #39
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Is that when you know you've been here too long...when your typos have a Tolkien connection?
There is no such thing as being here too long. Not even when you deduce that the Sindarin cognate must be orodh, plural erydh.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #40
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Roles being sent out (special ones only for now). Sign ups are closed. Elvish plurals appreciated.