The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Tol-in-Gaurhoth XIII: Enter Shamville

The full moon was cheesier than ever and a sly breeze played tag on the narrow alleys of a little village called Shamville. It was a particularly chilly night and the villagers hurried to close their window blinds and lock their doors before diving under thick woollen blankets.

In the past months, bad omens had been seen, though little of all this, of course, reached the ears of ordinary townsfolk. But even the deafest and most stay-at-home began to hear queer tales of green sunsets, sudden extinction of dolphins and barley fields growing fully decorated Christmas Trees in July. No one knew what it meant, but clearly it didn't bode well.

A black cat crossed a road, ran under a ladder thirteen times and disappeared into shadows.

Welcome to Werewolf XIII!

Gameplay: The game consists of two different phases: Night and Day. Nights and Days begin at 9:00 pm. GMT, thus lasting 24 hours, each.

Night

During night, the Werewolves PM with each other and choose one Villager to kill.
The Seer chooses one Villager to dream about.
The Hunter chooses one Villager to kill if they die during the Night.
The Ranger chooses one Villager to protect from the wolves.

These Villagers then PM their choices to me.

Day

The Villagers will wake up and (usually) discover one of their own dead. The Villagers must publicly discuss their suspicions in order to find out, who the wolves are. Eventually villagers start to cast votes for who they feel is a werewolf and must be lynched. Votes are irretractable and are cast by bolding a name with a ++ sign before it, all in CAPITALS and on a separate line. Like this:

++DANCING SPAWN

If you don't vote like this and I end up lynching a wrong villager because I didn't see your vote... well, just blame yourself, dear.

At the end of the Day the player with the most votes is lynched and their secret role is revealed.

Winning

The Villagers win if they kill all of the Werewolves.
The Werewolves win if they kill enough villagers so that their numbers are equal.

Roles

Ordinary Villagers- try to find out, who the Wolves are and lynch them by Day.

Werewolves- choose one person to kill every Night by PMing one another and discussing their strategies. Werewolves may not PM each other during the Day.

Seer- chooses one person to Dream about each Night. The role of this person is then revealed to them. The Cursed will be seen as an Ordinary Villager unless they have become a Wolf (then the Cursed will be seen as a lycan).

Hunter- chooses every night one Villager to die with them if they are killed by the Wolves. If the Hunter is lynched by Day, they can choose a new villager to die with them, who is then killed automatically.

Ranger- chooses one fellow Villager to protect every night. If that player is the Werewolf victim, they survive and there is no death that night. The Ranger may not protect the same person twice in a row.

Cursed- doesn’t know that they are cursed. If the Cursed is killed by Werewolves, they become a Werewolf and are introduced to their new team mates. The Seer will see the Cursed as an Ordinary Villager unless they have already become a wolf.

Other stuff

The players will be told, if the Ranger is successful or if the Wolves manage to get an extra lycan in their team.

Mass lynchings: One shalt be the number thou shalt lynch, and the number of the lynchees shalt be one... or two, if you must. Three shalt thou not lynch, neither lynch four. Five is right out!

Do not edit your posts, please. Double posting is perfectly acceptable here.

If I use players' names in my narrations, they are not "hidden clues" or anything.

You can say you're a villager/seer/werewolf, etc. all you want, but you are not allowed to post anything that would automatically prove your claim (like PMs and such).

Once you are killed in a werewolf game you should no longer post in this thread, or the Werewolf I thread, or communicate with players that are still alive in the game. You're dead. Dead people tell no tales.

Players may not PM one another about the game; all discussion must be open. The exceptions are the Werewolves, who may only PM with each other during Night.

Players should not refer to the game as a game and mention past Villages in their posts. There are plenty of other ways to give reasons for a theory than say "In Game III..."

If you have any questions, either PM me or ask them in the Werewolf 1 thread, please.

Please remember to stay invisible.

Players:

1. Anguirel - jester
2. Bergil - door-to-door salesman
3. Celuien - luthier
4. Eonwe - militiaman
5. Firefoot - traveller who has a dog
6. Glirdan - undead with Michael Jackson's nose
7. Kath - writer
8. Kitanna - goat herder
9. Kuruharan - local lorekeeper
10. Lalaith - goosegirl
11. littlemanpoet - village undertaker
12. Meneltarmacil - dinosaur researcher/ fossil hunter
13. tar-ancalime - charlatan
14. WaynetheGoblin - goldsmith
15. Wilwarin538 - official town daydreamer

We have:
3 Werewolves
1 Seer
1 Hunter
1 Ranger
1 Cursed
8 Ordinary Villagers

And so it begins...

It is now Night 1. Wolves may PM with each other but I need a name only from the Seer. The Night ends on Sunday at 9:00 pm. GMT.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 11-06-2005 at 02:54 PM.
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Day 1

"Good morn', oh dreadful day"

When the Village People woke up at the break of dawn, they immediately sensed that everything wasn't quite right. One by one they got up and gathered together to gossip about their bad premonitions. As a meritorious herder Kitanna quickly counted the town's residents, who flocked on the village square. "Fifteen. One is missing", she said. "Where's Spawn?"

Indeed, dancing spawn of ungoliant, Shamville's fisherwoman, was nowhere to be seen. As considerate and caring people the whole group strolled to Spawn's little cabin to check if she was all right (and maybe buy a fresh perch or two). With years' experience Bergil knocked on the door.

*knock, knock*

"Who's there?"

"It's B... Oh, Anguirel! Shut up!" Bergil snapped at the town's jester, who was laughing up his sleeve. "That wasn't funny."

When the villagers didn't hear an answer from the house, they tried the door handle. The door creaked on its hinges as it opened and the prying neighbours swarmed into a small living room. On a little table, they saw a note. "Here may be found the last words of dancing spawn of ungoliant", Kath read out loud. "There are three werewolves running around Shamville! The lycans are Aaauuuggghhh."

"What?"

"The lycans are Aaauuuggghhh", Kath repeated in bewilderment.

"What is that?" WaynetheGoblin wondered.

"She must have died while writing it", Glirdan whimpered.

"Oh, come on!" snorted Eonwe.

"Well, that's what it says", Kath replied.

"Look, if she was dying, she wouldn't have bothered to write 'Aaaauuuugggghhhh'. She'd just say it", Meneltarmacil groaned.

"Maybe she was dictating it", Wilwarin538 proposed helpfully.

"Oh shut up", sighed tar-ancalime, and rolled her eyes.

"Well does it say anything else?" littlemanpoet inquired.

"No, just 'Aaauuuggghhh'", answered Firefoot who tried to peek the note over Kath's shoulder.

"Whooooouuuaaaa!" Celuien suggested.

"No, no, no, it's 'Aaaauuuggghhh' from the back of the throat", corrected Kuruharan.

"No, I mean, 'Whoooouuuaaaa' as in surprise and alarm", Celuien clarified.

"Oh, you mean like 'AAAHH'" helped Lalaith.

"Yes, that's it. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"

And with the deafening high C that escaped from Celuien's lungs and shattered every window screen within a mile, the villagers turned around to face a horrible sight. They had finally found dancing spawn, who was mangled, strangled and tangled in fishing nets that hung on the wall. She looked mostly like a travesty of a giant spider caught on her own web. For some reason the villagers weren't very keen to buy fish anymore, and they calmly left the house knocking furnitures out of their way, and it is said that the dustcloud did not settle for many days after.

Living:
Anguirel - jester
Bergil - door-to-door salesman
Celuien - luthier
Eonwe - militiaman
Firefoot - traveller who has a dog
Glirdan - undead with Michael Jackson's nose
Kath - writer
Kitanna - goat herder
Kuruharan - local lorekeeper
Lalaith - goosegirl
littlemanpoet - village undertaker
Meneltarmacil - dinosaur researcher/ fossil hunter
tar-ancalime - charlatan
WaynetheGoblin - goldsmith
Wilwarin538 - official town daydreamer

Dead:
dancing spawn of ungoliant(mod) - mangled, tangled and strangled in fishing nets on Night 1

Score:
Villagers: 15
Wolves: 3

It is now Day 1.
Wolves, stop PMing, please. Villagers, you may start discussing. Have fun!
The Day ends in 24 hours at 9:00 pm. GMT.
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A frightfully fishy situation, you have to admit.

Ah well. dancing spawn will always have a special plaice in my heart. Cod rest her sole.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

This is really not looking good for the village. And that's a major understatement.

We are dealing with werewolves here, and werewolves are smart creatures. They'll likely not be the ones in the open acting suspicious. Nor will they likely be really quiet. It's the ones in the middle we ought to watch out for, those who offer their comments every now and then, but just not enough to be useful. Unless we're dealing with extremely stupid or extremely smart wolves, I think those types of people are worth keeping an eye on.

Just be glad they're not were-tyrannosaurs.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Ho blimming ho. Watch it mate, I'm the jester in town. Try and take my mantle and who knows what might happen to you...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
There's a time and place for such punning, Sir Jester. You gabble like some of my more foolish charges.
But now, we must try to react as best we can to the tragedy that has hit our village. These lycans won't stop at this. I don't know when the rest of us will get here, but lets all try to talk as much as we can. Wolves can hide better in silence.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Did you hear about the town that got attacked by werewolves?

No? All the inhabitants were devoured.

Not funny? What do you mean? Oh, you thought that one was a joke? By Eru, even fools speak seriously amidst events like these...

For the moment, I will second Little Miss Goosey Goosey Gander. We need to keep ourselves wrapped in earnest debate, lynching each other, while around us our comrades drop like flies. A well-tried and tested strategy, though some have doubted its efficacy...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #8
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well if you, or anyone else for that matter, has any better alternative plans, feel free to share....
Old 11-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

If I had a better plan, dear Goosey, would I recommend such a bad one?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
AHHHHHHHH. Hard times are upon us, villagers of Shamville. Harder times than when you wouldn't buy my fiddles and lutes and I nearly went out of business. My life has been spent in the carving of wood into works of art with voices of their own, not in pursuit of foul beasts. But it seems that is the task Fate has dealt us all.

Here's a plan. Back when I was a small lass, my gaffer had a pet dog. (Patience, patience, there is a point to this story.) Whenever I would sing a high note or squeak out a tune on my fiddle, the dog would howl. Nearly drove me out of my mind. Wolves are pretty close to dogs. Maybe if I let out a high C, the wolves would be like Huan Jr. and howl too, giving away their identities.

Oh, wait. I already sang my high C and the wolves didn't emit a single note. I guess that won't work. So I don't have any better plan for the moment than the previous suggestion to speak out in debate.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
My, what a horrible village I have come across in these travels of mine! Werewolves! And this place was reputed to be a peaceful sort of village, where one might rest. Apparently not.

I'm not sure that just talking a lot will flush out the werewolves. Talk a lot, but actually say something, I say! It would be extremely easy for wolves to hide in a mass of insubstance and chattiness. Force them to come out with substance; then perhaps we can catch their blunders.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I shall always respond to one post at a time, and in that way you will be able to see my progress in keeping up with the conversations.

*LMP stops just outside Spawn's fishercabin, and knowing his duty, he goes back into the cabin, disentangles the poor lady from the net mess, and carries the mangled corpse to his mortuary, where he spends time talking to the dead body as he prepares it for burial.*
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:45 PM   #13
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

well, well, i have nothing to say. except please explain your various theories and stuff, that way i know what your talking about and can follow the arguments. and pass my own judgement on them and you.

day one is always slow...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:45 PM   #14
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Well that little episode this morning put me right off writing. It's hard to create a best-seller when every third line all you can think is "Aaauuuggghhh". So please let's get these dratted creatures so I can finish my book! I promise to give you all a free copy if we do.

Aaanyway I suppose we have to start trying to figure out which three members of our little community are in fact werewolves. So, using the time honoured tradition of the random picking of names I would like to hear from:
Firefoot
Lalaith
wilwa

No offense meant people you just happen to be the 5th, 10th and 15th names on the list. And we have to start somewhere - right?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #15
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
We need to keep ourselves wrapped in earnest debate, lynching each other, while around us our comrades drop like flies. A well-tried and tested strategy, though some have doubted its efficacy...
And I shall do my part, preparing and burying the dropped flies with due reverence, speaking overwrought Jamesian at times, mayhap, and all the while pondering the words of my fellow villagers for clues to foul villainy whilst talking to and listening to the dead. Not that they speak back to me, but one of my profession must find comfort where one may.

*LMP thoroughly disentangles the corpse, straightening every bent limb, washing tear and blood stained face, molding lips to renewed (and less smelly) comeliness, speaking to the dead.*

Who are the dastardly villains who so mangled you? Is there some sign in the words I've overheard already? Is our jester hiding beneath a string of words? Our fossil hunter preaching to the proverbial choir to hide his misdeeds? Our goosegirl scolding our jester to hide her own laid egg of vehemence?

*The corpse does not respond as LMP continues his careful work.*
Old 11-06-2005, 05:06 PM   #16
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Speaking of random names, my 20-sided die has just come up with a 3. That happens to be Celuien's number. Celuien does not seem to have said anything extremely helpful yet, but she hasn't acted like a wolf either. Interesting that Lalaith told everybody to talk as much as possible, an idea that I agree would be helpful, however, could she be trying to hint that that's what her fellow wolves should be doing? As yet, however, nobody jumps out at me as being a wolf.

*goes back to chiseling some rock off a Stegosaurus spike*

EDIT: cross-posted with LMP
Old 11-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #17
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

No offence taken, Kath my dear. Both Firefoot and I have already spoken, but our daydreamer is not yet with us, it seems. I don't know what else you would like to hear from me at this stage. I can - and will - tell you that I'm not a wolf, but I can't expect you to believe me, any more than I would you.
I will also reveal, as it is useful to announce absences, that it is now goosegirl's bedtime. I will rejoin the debate in around nine hours time.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #18
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
Interesting that Lalaith told everybody to talk as much as possible, an idea that I agree would be helpful, however, could she be trying to hint that that's what her fellow wolves should be doing?
well, as they just had 24 hours to pm about stratgy, either they are very lazy, or the answer is no.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #19
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I don't know what else you would like to hear from me at this stage.
Nothing yet really, just to know you're around I suppose. I have a slight problem now though in the form of Menel, I had forgotten he was here and I believe I did once vow never to trust him again. Well, benefit of the doubt should be given I suppose but it's going against a lot of my beliefs.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #20
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Hmm...Anguirel is acting strangely.

Good. That's normal. Don't know if there is anything to discern from that.

Eonwe is saying that he will say nothing substantive. At the moment, I can't really blame him. There isn't a whole lot substantive to say.

littlemanpoet is developing some strange habits.

Most everyone else seems interested in running a numbers racket.

That is not so good. We will end up arguing about random assignment and probability and it would be easy for a wolf to avoid detection if we spend our time doing that.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:18 PM   #21
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Nah. We're all just picking any old person, doesn't matter how, it's just to generate some conversation. Can't find wolvish slip ups if there's no one talking!
Old 11-06-2005, 05:27 PM   #22
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I only wish I had something more helpful say at this point. I'm not really expecting anyone to be amazingly helpful this early, as we have nothing to go on yet. I know that I can't garner enough information to suggest theories this early. But I assure you, once things start moving, I'll analyze to the best of my abilities.

And here's a start. So far, no one really looks suspicious at all. In order of posts:

Anguirel - even though this is a sad day for us, I can't expect a jester to stop jesting. Nothing strange there.
Menel - makes a good general suggestion for whom we should be watching. A suggestion with which I agree.
Lalaith - scolds Ang for punnery and urges everyone to be vocal. A reasonable strategy, as long as innocents are careful not to get into duels with each other and miss wolves as a result.
Me - relates story of my gaffer's dog and agrees with suggested strategy. Admittedly, not particularly helpful at this point. But I prefer to watch, collect information, and deliberate before making drastic moves.
Firefoot - refines strategy with warning against chattiness.
lmp - says that he'll be responding to posts in order. Not all that helpful right off either, seems to be working on gathering data.
Eonwe - request for explanations of theories. Not helpful, but nothing wolvish there.
Kath - randomly selects names. A reasonable way to generate debate.

Still awaiting the arrival of the rest of the village.

EDIT: cross-posted with Kuru, Kath and Eonwe. Slow typing is annoying.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #23
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

the Day One Disorder has always manifested itself in symptoms ranging from lack of conversation, lack of substance, to lack of evidence, and so shall it ever be, unfurtunately. the only treatment that my research has shown to have any amount of effectiveness in correcting teh disorder is that of plunging into random accusations, culminating in a random vote.

edit cross posted with Celuien, and

hmmm, about this helpful business...for myself, i am just putting in time, so to speak. talk of collecting data, forming theories and opinions, and being helpful, not to mention rating helpfulness, seems a little bit useless.

Last edited by Eonwe; 11-06-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #24
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Can't find wolvish slip ups if there's no one talking!
That is something I've wondered about from time to time. What would happen if people said as little as possible on DAY ONE and then just voted. We might be able to pick up a few tells or force the wolves out in the open because they think they could pick off somebody. Unfortunately, this would be at least as open to manipulation as any other opening strategy. They would probably just vote for different people they hoped wouldn't get hung (which is potentially what they will do anyway).

DAY ONEs are just bad all the way around.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #25
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I take a break from paper writing to find this sad situation in Shamville. I always liked Spawn. She was so kind to me and my goats.
But I can't dwell on our dearly deceased.

I can see though that something that keeps coming up is Lalaith's suggest for more talking. Firefoot and Kuru both seem against it. They want posts with meaning that will help the village, not just tons of talking and nothing to it. And I agree completely.

Quote:
What would happen if people said as little as possible on DAY ONE and then just voted. We might be able to pick up a few tells or force the wolves out in the open because they think they could pick off somebody. Unfortunately, this would be at least as open to manipulation as any other opening strategy. They would probably just vote for different people they hoped wouldn't get hung (which is potentially what they will do anyway).
That is quite interesting, but I see a few problems with it. If almost nothing was sad and no hints dropped here or there and at the end of day all the villagers just voted at random, well I think it is possible that no single villager would get more than one vote. And if everyone voted for a completely different villager what would that really tell us? With complete silence on DAY 1, well, I think that could be as bad as too much chatiness. I must say that would be an interesting plan though, but I really can't see it helping the village.

That's really all I have to say right now. Hopefully I can be back in a few hours with more to add.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #26
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Oh, wait. I already sang my high C and the wolves didn't emit a single note. I guess that won't work. So I don't have any better plan for the moment than the previous suggestion to speak out in debate.
If it's high pitch you crave, I urge you to try my enchanted whistle. Handmade of pure lithuanium, mined from a mountain near Srobrocznya, winked at by jackals, and guaranteed to send shivers up the spine of any cani--er, lycan. This whistle, of course, is worth twice its weight in gold, but as things do seem to be getting a little tense around here I'll allow you to have a free tootle.

As for the rest of you, I'm hard at work concocting an anti-Wolf ointment. Crackerjack stuff, and as always guar-an-teed.

I'm as dedicated as anyone to rooting out these lycans, and Shamville's wish is my command.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #27
Bergil
Wight

Bergil has just left Hobbiton.
hey, mister, wanna buy a door. no-one seems to remember I sell them.

in the past, Glirdan hasn't been trustworthy. he's been "forgetting" to hive Michael Jackson his nose back for decades.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #28
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Wolves? Oh my! And so little to go on. I suppose rondomness is all we have today.

I notice I've already shown up on a list. Just one question Kath, why did you decide to skip by fives? I have a little theory about your choice of that number. There are 15 villagers in this here town, and three wolves. 15 divided by 3 is 5, which is the number you chose.

Interesting.

Ok so I can't really use that as evidence, but I'm trying.

All the villagers and my random theories:

Anguirel - jesters are creepy, im guessing wolves are creepy also, coincidence? I think not
Bergil - door-to-door salesmans are creepy, another coincidence? doubt it
Celuien - a luthier, hmmm, well a mandolin was used as a very violent weapon against a cousin of mine, and Celuin repairs these horrible things, terrible
Eonwe - militiaman, well I believe the militia has somthing to do with weapons, that should speak for itself
Firefoot - hmmmm, this trouble starts when she comes along. the dog? probably a long lost cousin of hers
Glirdan - undead? aren't we all? stealing micheal jackson's nose? probably clawed it right off of him
Kath - the lycan who wrote down spawns last words perhaps?
Kitanna - probably herds her goats right on in to her mouth
Kuruharan - claims to have a lot of information, about his fellow lycans!!!!
Lalaith - see kitanna, sub in goose for goat
littlemanpoet - perhaps he's losing buissiness? needs to fill up that grave yard of his perhaps?
Meneltarmacil - maybe geting tiered of those dinosaur bones, wants a different kind of bone to examine?
tar-ancalime - a charaltan is a deceiver, she's making us think she's innocent, when she's probably not
WaynetheGoblin - they use hammers, hard hammers, can easily be turned into a weapon
Wilwarin538 - as innocent as the wind dreavin snow

Take from this what you will.

I'll just finish with sayng that we need to defeat these wolves and quick.

crossposted with kitanna, tar and bergil
Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 PM   #29
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
At this point, I really don't see anything more than idle, meaningless suspicions and some strategy speculation. There really isn't anything to go on - based on what people have posted, I could pretty easily construe any one of you to be innocent or guilty.

It's like people have said. Day 1 is horrible that way. You have to hope that a wolf slips up and/or you get lucky. But a word of caution: don't just vote randomly (as in, drawing a number out of a hat). This leaves no record that means anything. Have some kind of reason for voting the way you do, even if it is a really horrible reason. The voting records will mean more that way.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #30
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Oh me oh my!!! Another person to come join me once I go back to my watery grave beside Micheal Jackson, after I cut his nose off with my knife.

I cannot believe something like this could happen to such a wonderful person.

Here's a completely random list of completely random accusations:

Anguirel - jesters are funny in a creepy sort of way. i don't know what to think about him
Bergil - door-to-door salesman hey? I wonder if it's just an excuse to get into people's houses at night
Celuien - I can't draw any suspicions of Celuien but I will be keeping my on Celuien
Eonwe - militiaman, I trust him just because of it, yet not entirely. He's not as suspicious as others
Firefoot - a traveller hey? Convenient how the trouble starts as soon as he gets here
Glirdan - Well, what can I say except that I'm innocent?
Kath - can't think that she's supsicious yet I'm not sure. Keeping my on her.
Kitanna - I don't like goats. It the fault of a goat that I'm dead. The stupid thing spit into my eye which made me fall off the cliff into the water after I cut off Micheal's nose and then he tripped over a rock and fell in.
Kuruharan - a master of lore hey? perhaps a little to much lore for her own good?
Lalaith - geese are cute!! I like geese. Lalaith isn't as suspicious as much as others are, but still keeping eye on her
littlemanpoet - i don't trust him. He works in a grave. He might want to kill people to fill in those empty graves of his
Meneltarmacil - an archeo-who? What ever it is, I don't like it.
tar-ancalime - don't know what to think of tar. Definetly deserves keeping an eye on.
WaynetheGoblin - hammers you say? hmmm...I wonder. Definetly keeping my eye on him
Wilwarin538 - she daydreams by day, and turns into a fuzzy little animal by night. Don't trust her

That's all I have to say for now.

PS: I'll be posting my vote soon because of the time difference.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #31
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar-ancalime
If it's high pitch you crave, I urge you to try my enchanted whistle. Handmade of pure lithuanium, mined from a mountain near Srobrocznya, winked at by jackals, and guaranteed to send shivers up the spine of any cani--er, lycan. This whistle, of course, is worth twice its weight in gold, but as things do seem to be getting a little tense around here I'll allow you to have a free tootle.
I think I'll have to pass on that whistle. I'm still upset over those planing knives you sold me. Solid steel? More like aluminum foil over clay. They broke the first time I tried them.

With regard to the task at hand, I still see nothing to go on, since no one appears suspicious yet.

I won't be making any random accusations today. I'm a craftsperson, and I work slowly and deliberatively, perfecting my instruments over years. So it goes against the grain for me to say anything rashly. Though, unfortunately, I fear my choice is still bound to be incorrect. Such is the grim arena of day one.

Finally, I will be at the shop from 9 to 5 EST during the week, so my votes will have to come over lunch (about three or four hours before the deadline).

It's bedtime for your local luthier. I'll return in a few hours.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #32
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I still cannot find anything useful, as it is the first Day and all we have to go on are suspicious statements that are probably meaningless anyway. Nevertheless, I notice two odd things:

Lalaith believes we should all talk a lot.
Kuruharan wonders about keeping silent.

One of these two may be up to something. I'm more inclined to suspect Kuru based on his statement, but the tactic may be a little too wolfish to seriously say he's a wolf. As for Lalaith, I've mentioned her already.

Of course, neither one may be a wolf, as statements like these could just be the honest suggestions of innocent villagers.

EDIT:
By the way, I'll be busy excavating a brachiosaur I found a few miles away from about 7 AM-2:30 PM EDT during the week, making me unavailable for comment during that time.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 11-06-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #33
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dûm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
Everything is completly random today. I dont suspecect anyone but i will come back tommorrow and say my suspisuns that is all.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #34
Bergil
Wight

Bergil has just left Hobbiton.
excuse me for voting early

++Wilwarin538

those statments did not take 33 minuites to type.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #35
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
. Talk a lot, but actually say something, I say! It would be extremely easy for wolves to hide in a mass of insubstance and chattiness. Force them to come out with substance; then perhaps we can catch their blunders.
Does our luthier attempt to distract us from her guilt with stories from the past? Our traveller who has a dog has said the most useful thing so far. Speak with substance, not just much talk, for lack of substance will stand out the clearer. Yes, that is a good idea.

*LMP takes leave of the corpse and fetches from the passed's cabin the best gown he can find.*
Old 11-06-2005, 08:14 PM   #36
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Well, since I'm playing catch-up, I guess I'll respond to a lot of folks at once until one stands out in some way.

*LMP talks to the corpse* Our militiaman begs of the rest of us to speak plainly. Is that not wise, my dear Spawn? Yes, it seems so to me too. *LMP changes corpse into best gown* You noticed, I suppose, that our writer has randomly accused three of us. Tell me, is she onto something, or is she doing a 'morm', may he rest in peace, to try to throw us off her own guilt? *LMP combs the long shiny tresses, still growing, into a cloud about the head of the corpse* Our goat herd has finally spoken. He speaks wisely as well, but says nothing a wolf would not say. Should I look harder at him? Did I see you blink ever so slightly? No? I didn't think so, but thought I'd ask. *LMP lays out the corpse on the presentation dais in the front room* You know, Spawn, in your honor, maybe I suppose I could throw out a plan, although it probably won't be used, but it may garner revealing conversation so that we can catch your nemesis out. *LMP checks for any last sign of dirt or blemish, and finding none, is satisfied with his work, and goes outside.*

The corpse is prepared for viewing! Pay your respects!

Having read as far as post #24 and no further, I have a plan. We could vote for a leader who would be given our confidence for the remainder of the day, allow that person to tell us for whom to cast our vote; if we lynch a werewolf, this person is a likely known innocent and may receive our vote for the following day. If not, said person must defend his or her choice or be lynched. What say you? I do of course doubt that the plan will be followed, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see what you esteemed (well most of you) villagers say.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #37
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
That is something I've wondered about from time to time. What would happen if people said as little as possible on DAY ONE and then just voted. We might be able to pick up a few tells or force the wolves out in the open because they think they could pick off somebody. Unfortunately, this would be at least as open to manipulation as any other opening strategy. They would probably just vote for different people they hoped wouldn't get hung (which is potentially what they will do anyway).

DAY ONEs are just bad all the way around.
Your proposed plan lends credence to your presumed innocence, but I will not completely leave off questioning you, good sir. Um, it's hanged, not hung, by the way, my good man. To, shall we say, unpack my plan, there being 12 innocents and only 3 wolves, the innocents will out-vote the innocents in choosing the proposed leader; on the other hand, the wolves could hide amongst these votes as easily as those cast for lynching. But it does have the benefit of giving us two voting sessions per Day instead of just one, providing twice as much evidence per Day.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #38
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

hmm well there are a couple situations that arrise from your said plan, LMP.:

we could pick an innocent to lead us, which would yeild two resolts:

1) lynching of a wolf. that wold be good and our leader would be praised.
2) lynchin of an innocent. that would be bad, not only because we killed an innocent, but because we now cast suspicion on yet annother innocent. not to mention we wouldn't get anything as way of a trail.

or we could pick a wolf to lead us, also yeilding two results:

1) the wolf chooses to lynch a wolf. that is good and bad. we kill a wolf, but clear a wolf as well.
2) he lynches an innocent. good because we would suspet him.

all in all, i think it could be a worthy plan. but we should use it later on. and don't ellect me as leader, either.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:40 PM   #39
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Yes, very good plan there Lmp. Except for one thing, you are now not so innocent in my eyes. Could you be using this plan of yours to be a helpful innocent who's trying to catch a Wolf? Or do you have a hairy little secret that you're trying to hide under that plan? By the looks of things, the second option seems more possible than the first. You are now more suspicious in my eyes. I'm definetly keeping my eye on you.

And now I'm keeping an eye on Eonwe. I know I said I trust you, but now I'm not so sure. You could be an innocent thinking that Lmp's plan is good and that we should follow it. Or you could be his fellow Wolf helping him out in his scheme to lynch innocents. I think the first option is probably more correct but I"m still going to keep my eye on you.

Bergil, exactly why did you vote for Wilwa? Is it completely random? Or is your reasoning behind it because of that which you posted? Your another that I'm going to watch carefully.

So my suspicion list is as follows:

Lmp
Eonwe
Bergil

Lmp seems most guilty in my eyes and I will probably vote for him unless something new arises.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #40
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
hmm well there are a couple situations that arrise from your said plan, LMP.:

we could pick an innocent to lead us, which would yeild two resolts:

1) lynching of a wolf. that wold be good and our leader would be praised.
2) lynchin of an innocent. that would be bad, not only because we killed an innocent, but because we now cast suspicion on yet annother innocent. not to mention we wouldn't get anything as way of a trail.

or we could pick a wolf to lead us, also yeilding two results:

1) the wolf chooses to lynch a wolf. that is good and bad. we kill a wolf, but clear a wolf as well.
2) he lynches an innocent. good because we would suspet him.

all in all, i think it could be a worthy plan. but we should use it later on. and don't ellect me as leader, either.
You analysis, good sir, is quite on target. And having read it, I must say that you have unveiled a fatal flaw in it, unless you can convince me otherwise. That fatal flaw is none other than the wolf leader choosing to lynch a wolf, thus more or less clearing self of suspicion. Of course, 'tis not a fatal flaw if we all go in realizing that a wolf may just be forced by the plan to pick a fellow wolf for lynching; but the question is, would a wolf do such a thing so early in the game? The late and dear departed Fea might, but she is no longer with us, gods rest her soul, big as its head was. All that to say, maybe it is therefore not such a fatal flaw, and still gives us two votes per Day rather than just one. More opinions?

Of course, the plan's merit has already been a little washed out for toDay with Bergil's early vote. So early! That is, of course, suspicious, though he gives a reason; but his reason has holes, if you know what I mean; after all, everyone knew each other's professions before Spawn's death; making his supposed reason mere empty air.