The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
ecthelion
Pile O'Bones

ecthelion has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Middle-earth pawn shops

Pawn shops to me are very interesting. Many contain pieces of junk that no one wants but there is always that one special treasure in each store. And since I love Middle Earth I wonder if there are pawn shops there. Middle-Earth has plenty of inns and taverns but, to my knowlege, no pawns shops. So maybe across the street from the prancing pony their was a little store named "Goatleaf's Pawn Shop: We Buy Silver and Gold". But another interesting question is: what would people bring in to sell? Say some guy comes in and tells the owner, "This here is the Old Took's first pipe in mint condition shape." Or someone lays a sword on the counter and says, "Right here is the sword of Egalmoth, Lord of Gondolin!"
So does anyone else think that there may have been pawn shops in middle-earth and if you do what interesting items would come through the doors.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Goatleaf claimed to have Helm Hammerhand's original brass knuckles, but they were determined by Gandalf to in fact have been Aldor the Old's bronzed dental plates.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
Archaic Elf
Animated Skeleton

Archaic Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Some dwarves pawned off the Arkenstone and the Nauglamír there a week before Mr. Underhill came to town. They traded it all for 15 silver coins a a few copper plates.

Needless to say, you can't really take everything they have in that shop at face value.

I hear that someone tried to sell Goatleaf the blade of Andúril. The nerve of some people.
Archaic Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
FlimFlamSam
Pile O'Bones

FlimFlamSam has just left Hobbiton.
ecthelion spoke: [And since I love Middle Earth I wonder if there are pawn shops there... and if you do what interesting items would come through the doors]
Yeah, they're called "Museums" or "Mathom-houses" in the Shire.
Or, the items are simply given away as birthday-presents negating the need for pawn shops altogether. Elsewhere in Middle-earth they're "heirlooms" or whatever words in Dale or Rohan that were related to "mathom".
FlimFlamSam is offline   Reply With Quote