The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2003, 10:39 PM   #801
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Congrats to Aerowen and Esty on the motto!

Still headed south. Frodo is still steadily worsening, and Aleia and the rest have all become more alert and jumpy. The Black Riders seem to be everywhere; it is because of this that they no longer light fires at night. Their whole journey has become exceedingly uncomfortable!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:03 AM   #802
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yesterday there was a lovely breeze. But I don't think Bilbo's stone trolls enjoyed it much! Lol! But I did. Time to get marching again... I'm slowing down!
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:00 AM   #803
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

It has finally stopped raining! It's nice and cool this morn, with a nice breeze. (It's 73 degrees F.) I tried to kill a squirrel with my slingshot, (I did try this morning, on my walk. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) but I hit Alatįriėl in the back of the head. Maybe she won't figure out 'twas me...
We have walked 333 miles.
We are still south of the Road (328).
It is 9 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 125 miles to Rivendell.
-Melilot
-Fėa
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:58 AM   #804
Galenfea of Mirkwood.
Wight

Location: Road2Rivendell: 250miles (somewhere near Weathertop)
Galenfea of Mirkwood. has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Galenfea looks up at the thretening clouds and sighs. She can see the road snaking on ahead and wishes she hadn't chosen to wear these particular boots. They seemed comfortable enough at first, but within a few miles blisters had started to form. "Walking for pleasure? Why did I get in this mess?" She shrugs her backpack on and starts off again.
Galenfea of Mirkwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:40 PM   #805
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The cooler, dryer weather today was a welcome change. I like rain as well as the next elf, but I prefer it in moderation. Now if we could just have a change in the provisions as well as the weather...

Quote:
I hit Alatįriėl in the back of the head. Maybe she won't figure out 'twas me...
That was you??? Ooops! I yelled at Strider for that. Maybe I should apologize to him? Naaah! You know Arwen, if you manage to hit that squirrel, we could have something besides cram for dinner! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

--------------------

"Certainly it reminds me very much of Bilbo in the last years, before he went away. He used often to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary. 'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,' he used to say. 'You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to. Do you realize that this is the very path that goes through Mirkwood, and that if you let it, it might take you to the Lonely Mountain or even further and to worse places?' He used to say that on the path outside the front door at Bag End, especially after he had been out for a long walk."
Old 07-25-2003, 01:18 PM   #806
Princess*Buttercup*Of*Rohan

Sting

Yesterday besides the fact that the weather was no good i managed to get a good 7 miles in and today the weather was *beautiful* and so far have gone about 3 miles..but i am far from done. I did see Legolas from afar dont really kno what hes doing around here and was to nervous to confront him for he looked alittle distressed, maybe gimli stole his conditioner again. Ill try later [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

.*Buttercup*>
Old 07-25-2003, 05:47 PM   #807
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

It seemed too much to hope that the Riders had already lost their trail again. Perhaps they were waiting to make some ambush in a narrow place?

The autumn days were ever shorter, and their marches ever longer. Peony had never before spent so much time in darkness. And although she half expected the dreadful Riders to re-appear at any moment, she also found herself drinking in the hush which descended upon the earth after the sun set, and anticipating starlight and moonlight more eagerly than she would have believed possible. Most curious of all, she had no trouble staying awake during the night watches--unlike her fellow hobbits, who sometimes required a gentle nudge to remain alert.
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:20 PM   #808
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

They spent a miserable day in this lonely and unpleasant country. Their camping-place was damp, cold, and uncomfortable; and the biting insects would not let them sleep. There were also abominable creatures haunting the reeds and tussocks that from the sound of them were evil relatives of the cricket. There were thousands of them, and they squeaked all round, neek-breek, breek-neek, unceasingly all the night, until the hobbits were nearly frantic.

The weather's been nasty, with the typhoon and all, and the a/c at work has just been working just fine---at the cost of my poor nose---caught a sore throat yesterday, and I feel really bad.

I haven't been walking lately, save for a mile on the elliptical, and a walk all around the mall with my brother last night.

And bit of confession: the family had a buffet dinner last night---one that crosses over three restaurants...I am gaining rotundity, but I've been having buttered hot corn *erp* and salad for lunch everyday (I skip rice as much as possible for lunch--we're Asian [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

But my goal on the elliptical is 5 miles a day...Weathertop, here I come.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:41 PM   #809
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hello, Neferchoirwen! It seems we're stuck together, at least for a little while. I hope you don't mind?

You have walked 200 miles.
You have passed the western edge of the Midgewater Marshes (196).
You are only 1 miles from Neekerbreeker Pond.
You still have 258 miles to Rivendell.

The ground now became damp, and in places boggy and here and there they came upon pools, and wide stretches of reeds and rushes filled with the warbling of little hidden birds. They had to pick their way carefully to keep both dry-footed and on their proper course. At first they made fan-progress, but as they went on, their passage became slower and more dangerous. The marshes were bewildering and treacherous, and there was no permanent trail even for Rangers to find through their shifting quagmires. The flies began to torment them, and the air was full of clouds of tiny midges that crept up their sleeves and breeches and into their hair.

EDIT: Forgot to add that once again I'll be going through and creating an updated list, so if you don't have your mileage in your FROM: space please put it there so you can be counted in our list. Thank you!

[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 07-26-2003, 12:50 PM   #810
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Walking all through Tennesee, Arafangwen has found the three stone Trolls from Bilbo's adventure! This week has been an exciting one for the elf maiden, sleeping at the Hermitage after an exausting ten mile walk was probably the most memorable moment though.

I was thinking of you guys the whole time, mainly because I was completly surrounded by Peony plants, I'm sure you know where my mind trailed off to at that time....

Arafangwen peered ahead in the distance looking for Esty wondering where she should camp tonight.

Off to update my milage elsewhere....
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 01:29 PM   #811
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

AS OF JULY 26th
Our last update was July 11th. Next to a walker?s name you will see something looking like this: (## m.) That shows how many miles they have walked since our last update. Keep up the good work! I apologize if I left out any of our newer walkers, and my excuse is that sometimes when you?re a new walker but your mileage is not in your FROM: space, I overlook you, not realizing that you aren?t on the list. If you wish make certain that you will be displayed on this list with your correct mileage, please put your mileage in your FROM: space. Thank you!

MEMBER : MILEAGE
alaklondewen : 302 (28 m.)
Alatariel : 332 (39 m.)
Annunfuiniel : 144
Arvedui III : 136
Arafangwen : 391 (211 m.)
ArwenBaggins : 333 (47 m.)
Aylwen Dreamsong : ?
bain_edhel : 12
Bulelainwen : 108
Barrow Wight : 108 (28 m.)
Durelin : 2
Durlossiel : 130 (25 m.)
dragoneyes : 145
Eärendil : 150 (38 m.)
Eruwen : 70
Estelyn Telcontar : 379 (46 m.)
Faenaduial : 125 (31 m.)
Firondoiel : 44
Galenfea of Mirkwood : 18 (18m.)
Gorwingel : 414 (54 m.)
Hilde Bracegirdle : 407 (41 m.)
Horsemaiden Of The Shire : 294 (46 m.)
Ilsanie : 5.5
Joy : 14
Kalel : 32
Keowyn : 3?
Lalaith : 230 (16 m.)
Lindolirian : 170
Linnamalle : 389 (22 m.)
Linzielf : 451 (50 m.)
LotrMaster02 : ?
Luinalatwen : 57 (57 m.)
Lyra Greenleaf : 335 (106 m.)
Maiden of the Dry Waterfall : ?
mark12_30 : 305
Naz : ?
Neferchoiren : 200 (27 m.)
Niluial : 264
Nurumaiel : 200 (40 m.)
peony_foxburr : 319 (41 m.)
Princess*Buttercup*Of*Rohan : ?
Raefindel : 363 (52 m.)
Ranger Jewel : 35?
red : 52.5
Rochelle : 59
Salix : 11
Schmendrick : 70
Sindafalathiel : 11
Sophia the Thunder Mistress : 151
SwordMaiden of Rohan : ?
Tar-Palantir : ?
Tarvasa : 43
Tefalathiel : 170
The Phantom: 28
The Real Findorfin : ?
Thenamir : 110 (54 m.)
Tigerlily Gamgee : 50
Tinuviel of Denton : 180 (10 m.)
Tira O Alata : ?
Vanwalossien : 256 (36 m.)
Vardamar : 314
Old 07-26-2003, 08:37 PM   #812
Princess*Buttercup*Of*Rohan

Sting

Today was once again beautiful and managed to get 8 miles in. I did confront Legolas and we decided he would walk with me to keep me company. I non-chalontly asked him why he looked alittle miffed and indeed, gimli had stole his conditioner..very touchy elf but no doubt he is good company. Now I must help set up camp.

You have walked 20 miles.
You have passed Green Hill Country (18).
It is 7 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 438 miles to Rivendell.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:00 AM   #813
LINZIELF
Pile O'Bones

Location: Marching to Mordor - 590.5 miles-in the Barren Hills
LINZIELF has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] In a last spurt of energy this elf finally staggered into Rivendell and looked hopefully round for a drink [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Many elves were there to meet her and they looked curiously at her as she was an unusual elf being neither slender or over 6 foot tall!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] however she proved herself up to the challenge of getting to Rivendell and proceded to join in with the music making and general revellery surrounding her (she also made friends by sharing the large bar of chocolate she was carrying!). Now I shall rest and regain my strength before attempting the long and dangerous journey to Mount Doom. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2003, 02:13 PM   #814
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
Silmaril

Quote:
Congratulations to Aerowen, the first Barrow-Downer to reach Rivendell!! You can see her name on the
Rivendell Page of the Éowyn Challenge site. A triple hurray for Aerowen!!
Thankee Esty and Horse-maiden :-)

Yes yes, I know I haven't posted in a near forever, but that doesn't matter. I always lurk.

Now, how did I do it, you may ask. Mostly walking or running, but some biking as well. I'm on the track and cross-country team at school and we were 'required' (more like asked, but if you wanted to get better, and stay in shape over the summer..) to run/jog/walk 6 miles for each sport (a total of 12 miles per day for myself) and in the end, it just all added up with the track meets we had, the training, the practices, etc. Plus, I was determined ;-)

Now, how that one Wizard person wants to walk 1000 miles, well, that's amazing. But now, I'm still running/walking/jogging...around a track, it seems. :-P

You have walked 535 miles.
You have reached Rivendell! (458)
You have been jogging around the Hidden Valley running track for 77 miles!

Frodo woke and found himself lying in bed. At first he thought that he had slept late, after a long unpleasant dream that still hovered on the edge of memory. Or perhaps he had been ill? But the ceiling looked strange; it was flat, and it had dark beams richly carved. He lay a little while longer looking at patches of sunlight on the wall, and listening to the sound of a waterfall.

Good luck to the rest of you! You still have 143 days left. If you're going to be like Esty and I (attempting to walk to Rivendell twice) you have to walk 916 miles. I'm 381 miles away from that, lol. It's possible, but hey.

And congrats on the Motto, Esty. Sorry I couldn't end up contributing. We're close on the House Contests, as well :-D

Once again, good luck and happy walking.

-The Lady Aerowen
TheLadyAerowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:02 PM   #815
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

26.5 miles after last thursday, I've passed green hill country. Still a ways to go...

Iarwain
Old 07-27-2003, 08:20 PM   #816
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Psst, Nurumaiel and Neferchoirwen! Check around for a stash of Peony's Bug Dope, next to the Rangers' woodpiles! Works great against the midges (but you're on your own for drowning out the Neekerbreekers).

[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: peony_foxburr ]
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
Old 07-27-2003, 08:36 PM   #817
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

The dryer, cooler weather was very short-lived and the storms have returned to the Lone-lands. Strider says we will have to head back towards the Road soon, as we are getting close to the River Hoarwell, and we can only cross by the Last Bridge. We must be very wary, as the Black Riders may be waiting to ambush us there.

--------------------

"How far is Rivendell?" asked Merry, gazing round wearily. The world looked wild and wide from Weathertop.

"I don't know if the Road has ever been measured in miles beyond the 'Forsaken Inn', a day's journey east of Bree," answered Strider. "Some say it is so far, and some say otherwise. It is a strange road, and folk are glad to reach their journey's end, whether the time is long or short. But I know how long it would take me on my own feet, with fair weather and no ill fortune: twelve days from here to the Ford of Bruinen, where the Road crosses the Loudwater that runs out of Rivendell. We have at least a fortnight's journey before us, for I do not think we shall be able to use the Road."

"A fortnight!" said Frodo. "A lot may happen in that time."

"It may," said Strider.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:41 PM   #818
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Aleia and the hobbits are still headed south. They are all still extremely paranoid. Frodo is still steadily worsening. Same ol' same. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2003, 11:07 AM   #819
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Hurrah! Thanks, Peony. What a great relief that is! As for those Neeker-breekers... Ugh, almost as bad as Tom Bombadil!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:13 PM   #820
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Congratulations, LINZIELF! Rest up and relax before the next phase.

I have 80 miles to go. I'll see you in a few weeks.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:53 PM   #821
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

The rain continued throughout the day, but we finally made it back onto the Road. All this mud makes for extremely difficult traveling conditions, but at least we don't have to worry about leaving tracks for the Black Riders to follow. We made camp about 300 yards south of the Road in a little hollow. Strider says 'no fire' tonight for fear of attracting the Riders. And of course...cram again!

--------------------

They were suddenly aware of great hunger, for they had not eaten anything since breakfast; but they dared not make more than a frugal supper. The lands ahead were empty of all save birds and beasts, unfriendly places deserted by all the races of the world. Rangers passed at times beyond the hills, but they were few and did not stay. Other wanderers were rare, and of evil sort: trolls might stray down at times out of the northern valleys of the Misty Mountains. Only on the Road would travellers be found, most often dwarves, hurrying along on business of their own, and with no help and few words to spare for strangers.

[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: Alatįriėl ]
Old 07-28-2003, 10:28 PM   #822
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Only 13 miles to go, so close yet so far away!

I should make it to Rivendell in a couple of days. But later this week I am going to have a wisdom tooth removed that may slow me down [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 12:48 AM   #823
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*Neferchoriwen approaches Nurumaiel and pats her on the back*

I wouldn't mind company at all!

And I'd like to thank everyone for cheering me on...you have all acted like a cloud of witnesses for my success...even I'm stuck at 203.8 miles!

*yay* I moved a couple of miles!

Went back to doing yoga, recently. I feel sorry for myself for not doing yoga for almost 5 weeks...my posture's back, I'm getting frequent headaches....but I'm getting better.

The Asian weather's really REALLY freaky...hot and humid, and it's making me sick...

...But a happy walker I be 'till I reach Rivendell (would've sounded better if I hadn't reached Bree [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])
Old 07-29-2003, 12:50 AM   #824
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

erm...
Quote:
Neferchoiren : 200 (27 m.)
I'm on mileage, and so there's no need to convert anymore. Thanks for updating, anyway!

[img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 07:34 AM   #825
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

The weather has been nice the last couple of days, although it poured rain in buckets yesterday. Strider found a small bird with a broken leg, and decided to put it out of its misery. I felt sorry for the poor thing, put the little meat we got off of it was better than cram!
We reached the Last Bridge today, suprised that we saw no Riders. Strider made us sit in the bushes beside the bridge for what seemed forever, while he scouted ahead.
We have walked 348 miles.
We have reached The Last Bridge (348).
It is 6 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 110 miles to Rivendell.
They hurried along with all the speed they could make, and after a mile or two they saw the Last Bridge ahead, at the bottom of a short steep slope. They dreaded to see black figures waiting there, but they saw none. Strider made them take cover in a thicket at the side of the Road, while he went forward to explore.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:29 AM   #826
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

A lot of people have been confused about the (## m.) next to their name on the update page. I was PMed about it, which gave me the chance to explain in full, and I'm going to paste that here, too, so no one will get confused.

This is the original, which I thought might explain well enough

Quote:
Next to a walker's name you will see something looking like this: (## m.) That shows how many miles they have walked since our last update.
but it doesn't, so I've explained in more detail.

Quote:
Both of them are miles.

The one immediately after your name is the total amount of miles you have walked (as found in the FROM: space).

The one in parantheses is how many miles you have walked since our last mileage update.

If I updated the list on July 11th and I had walked 160 miles then, and then on July 26th updated it again and had walked 200 miles by that time, it would have (40 m.) next to my name because that was how far I had walked since July 11th, our last update.
I don't know about everyone else, but having that next to my name really gives me a boost in walking. If I've gone quite awhile since our last update, I can feel encouraged and know I'm making it. If I've only gone a short way, I can wake up and say, "Oops, I need to get moving!"

But does that make sense now?
Old 07-29-2003, 11:24 AM   #827
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Makes sense to me! I'm so glad you keep updating that nice list! You're very sweet to do that for us.
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:51 PM   #828
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
Next to a walker's name you will see something looking like this: (## m.) That shows how many miles they have walked since our last update.
Nurumaiel: Thanks for keeping our list updated. I like having my additional mileage shown next to my total.

What a cold, miserable night! No fire, no decent food, wet blankets...whose idea was this, anyway? The rain stopped just before dawn, but it remained very foggy and misty for most of the day. Strider kept stopping to listen for hoofbeats on the road (a very muddy procedure as he puts his ear to the ground each time), but there was neither sight nor sound of the Riders. We'll cross the Last Bridge tomorrow, and then it's back into the hills. I'm really getting hungry! I sure hope Elrond is planning a feast for us.

--------------------

"I don't see how our food can be made to last," said Frodo. "We have been careful enough in the last few days, and this supper is no feast; but we have used more than we ought, if we have two weeks still to go, and perhaps more."

"There is food in the wild," said Strider; "berry, root, and herb; and I have some skill as a hunter at need. You need not be afraid of starving before winter comes. But gathering and catching food is long and weary work, and we need haste. So tighten your belts, and think with hope of the tables of Elrond's house!"
Old 07-30-2003, 09:00 AM   #829
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

It's quite pleasant outside, and we're getting in more miles that originally thought. Strider tells us to jump into the bushes every five minutes to check for Riders, but he never hears anything. I really think that they've given up following us....
We reached the eerie Trollshaws early this morning, and we camped for anout an hour before moving on.
We have walked 354 miles.
We have reached the first camp in the Trollshaws (354).
It is 5 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 104 miles to Rivendell.
At once they went on again. They crossed the Bridge in safety, hearing no sound but the water swirling against its three great arches. A mile further on they came to a narrow ravine that led away northwards through the steep lands on the left of the Road. Here Strider turned aside, and soon they were lost in a sombre country of dark trees winding among the feet of sullen hills.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:56 PM   #830
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

More walking, more south, more worsening Frodo, more paranoia. This is turning out to be a lovely journey! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: *does the Wave for double numbers*

[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]
Old 07-30-2003, 07:05 PM   #831
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

"At the end of the fifth day the ground began once more to rise slowly out of the wide shallow valley into which they had descended."

Peony could scarcely believe they had come so far in so short a time. But then, less than two months before, she had been helping to pack up Bag End and hatching her own plans. She would never have believed she would now be making her way to Rivendell on foot, pursued by the Enemy.
-The Return of the King
Old 07-30-2003, 10:08 PM   #832
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

We crossed the Last Bridge this morning. With all the rain lately, the river was so high that the water was almost to the surface of the Bridge. No sign of the Black Riders, but Strider doesn't think that they have stopped searching for us. Someone dropped a beautiful green beryl in the middle of the Bridge...I put it in my pocket with that gold ring I found several weeks ago. (Elves love jewelry, you know!) After crossing the Bridge, we headed back into the Hills. Although we're still eating cram, at least we can have a fire tonight.

--------------------

They hurried along with all the speed they could make, and after a mile or two they saw the Last Bridge ahead, at the bottom of a short steep slope. They dreaded to see black figures waiting there, but they saw none. Strider made them take cover in a thicket at the side of the Road, while he went forward to explore.

Before long he came hurrying back. "I can see no sign of the enemy," he said, "and I wonder very much what that means. But I have found something very strange."

He held out his hand, and showed a single pale-green jewel. "I found it in the mud in the middle of the Bridge," he said. "It is a beryl, an elf-stone. Whether it was set there, or let fall by chance, I cannot say; but it brings hope to me. I will take it as a sign that we may pass the Bridge; but beyond that I dare not keep to the Road, without some clearer token."
Old 07-31-2003, 06:04 AM   #833
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Oh, Glorfindel, it's so good to see you! I feel much safer now. Nice horse!

I didn't find a beryl in the mud on that bridge. But I did stumble across the pedometer I lost this spring! And it was still showing 2.6 miles! LOL! I was on a little side path thinking "I wonder if I have been here before." I guess the answer was yes! LOL!
Old 07-31-2003, 06:23 AM   #834
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Congratulations from me too, LINZIELF!! If you've been reporting your mileage to the Éowyn Challenge site, do let them know you've arrived. (Details in one of my above posts.)

I've passed 400 miles, have also reached the great East Road and am happy to see Glorfindel. Where were you when the movie came out, guy?? Linnamalle is close behind me, maybe even catching up now...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:54 PM   #835
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
But I did stumble across the pedometer I lost this spring! And it was still showing 2.6 miles!
Linnamalle: Wow! You've sure walked a few miles since then. I'm going to have to invest in one pretty soon. I'll be hiking in the Misty Mountains at the end of September with some friends (a hobbit married to a dwarf...rather an odd couple but old, old friends), and I want to keep track of my mileage. I just hope we don't have to take a detour into Moria... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

The skies remained overcast here in the Trollshaws, and a chill wind was blowing. The terrain became quite difficult, and our progress was much slower today. We are hoping to make it to Rivendell by the video release date in August (Elrond has a great mini-theatre, and the twins promised me a private viewing..wooohooo!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). We only have 103 miles left and just under 4 weeks to go...we can make it!!

--------------------

At once they went on again. They crossed the Bridge in safety, hearing no sound but the water swirling against its three great arches. A mile further on they came to a narrow ravine that led away northwards through the steep lands on the left of the Road. Here Strider turned aside, and soon they were lost in a sombre country of dark trees winding among the feet of sullen hills.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:41 AM   #836
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not very far at all. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Hey, but I just started last week!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I have walked 12 miles.
I have passed Last View of Hobbiton (7).
It is 6 miles to the next landmark.
I still have 446 miles to Rivendell.

As they began to climb its first slopes they looked back and saw the lamps in Hobbiton far off twinkling in the gentle valley of the Water. Soon it disappeared in the folds of the darkened land, and was followed by Bywater beside its grey pool. When the light of the last farm was far behind, peeping among the trees, Frodo turned and waved a hand in farewell.

[ August 01, 2003: Message edited by: Sirithheruwen ]

[ August 07, 2003: Message edited by: Sirithheruwen ]
Old 08-01-2003, 10:59 AM   #837
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Is that the Great East Road I see? Yes! What a welcome sight that is after all these swamps and mountains!

Great Iluvitar, I hear something! I think I'm being persued, a horse is approaching! I'll just hide behind this tree.

That's no Black Rider I hear, there are bells on the harness. And I feel a sudden lightness of heart. Anticipation fills the air. As the rider approaches I recognize him-It's Glorfindel! Good to see you! Glad to have you join me on the final leg of this journey.

Tell me, my friend, are they planning a great feast to celebrate the arrival of all these valiant and dedicated walkers?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:36 PM   #838
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

What an dreary and depressing land this is! Strider led us along paths that went constantly up and down hill, through forests of dark trees. There were ruins on some of the hilltops, and I found myself constantly looking over my shoulder. It felt as if unfriendly eyes were watching us. We made camp this afternoon in a sheltered dell with a small stream, and although we tried all evening, we caught no fish. I believe this constant diet of cram is becoming detrimental to my luminous Elvish complexion.

--------------------

The hobbits were glad to leave the cheerless lands and the perilous Road behind them; but this new country seemed threatening and unfriendly. As they went forward the hills about them steadily rose. Here and there upon heights and ridges they caught glimpses of ancient walls of stone, and the ruins of towers: they had an ominous look.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:19 PM   #839
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
I've only started this recently and I have 450.31 miles left to walk before I reach Rivendell...

*sighs*

I will keep going though as best I can!
Old 08-02-2003, 06:23 PM   #840
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Boots

Estelyn, Linnamalle , I'm finally catching up to you. What a relief to finally have traviling companions! It has been a long and lonely road for me! Anyone care for a break for tea?