The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2003, 05:01 AM   #881
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tinuviel that is a GREAT LINK! Thanks a mint for sharing it with us, brightened an otherwise dull day. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 01:15 PM   #882
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Quote:
They hurried along with all the speed they could make, and after a mile or two they saw the Last Bridge ahead, at the bottom of a short steep slope. They dreaded to see black figures waiting there, but they saw none. Strider made them take cover in a thicket at the side of the Road, while he went forward to explore.
Peony's alter ego is slogging along as early in the day as she can drag herself out of bed, to escape the worst of the steam wave hovering over New England. However, it could be worse..this could be London at 100 degrees F. Talk about Mordor!!!!!!!
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:25 PM   #883
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Last night we made camp under an enormous oak tree, which kept off the worst of the rain. The wood was so wet that the fire burned only fitfully, and with more smoke than flame. We sat huddled in our cloaks and blankets around the small fire, silent with our own thoughts and fears, until sleep overcame us. My dreams were troubled, and I awoke in the night with pounding heart. In the darkness, I heard the gentle voice of Glorfindel singing softly. My fears disappeared, and in the dawn I arose with a lighter heart to a clear and bright day.

--------------------

• Snow-white! Snow-white! O Lady clear!
    O Queen beyond the Western Seas!
    O Light to us that wander here
    Amid the world of woven trees!

Gilthoniel! O Elbereth!
    Clear are thy eyes and bright thy breath!
    Snow-white! Snow-white! We sing to thee
    In a far land beyond the Sea.

O stars that in the Sunless Year
    With shining hand by her were sown,
    In windy fields now bright and clear
    We see your silver blossom blown!

O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
    We still remember, we who dwell
    In this far land beneath the trees,
    Thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:11 AM   #884
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here's an important announcement to all Walkers to Rivendell:
Quote:
The Third House Contest has begun!

Enter your LOTR comic short story. All stories must be in the LOTR framework, be 2,000 words or less, and be submitted by 8/24/03.
Please see the House Contest page on the Éowyn Challenge site for more information. I hope that there will be at least several of us taking part - we do want to get those points that are given for participating, no matter whether we win or not.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:01 AM   #885
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

This little Elf is getting hungry and longs for her bed as well. As I trudge along I'm thinking of the food and rest that are just 6 miles away.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:42 PM   #886
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

The rain has stopped, and we are able to travel more quickly, but not quick enough for Glorfindel. The hobbits are exhausted, Strider stumbles with fatigue, and even I, Elf of many journeys, am feeling very weary. We have seen no sign of the Riders, and we fear they may be lying in wait for us at the Ford of Bruinen.

--------------------

They cast themselves down in the heather a few yards from the road-side, and fell asleep immediately. They seemed hardly to have closed their eyes when Glorfindel, who had set himself to watch while they slept, awoke them again. The sun had now climbed far into the morning, and the clouds and mists of the night were gone.

"Drink this!" said Glorfindel to them, pouring for each in turn a little liquor from his silver-studded flask of leather. It was clear as spring water and had no taste, and it did not feel either cool or warm in the mouth; but strength and vigour seemed to flow into all their limbs as they drank it. Eaten after that draught the stale bread and dried fruit (which was now all that they had left) seemed to satisfy their hunger better than many a good breakfast in the Shire had done.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:09 AM   #887
Tefalathiel
Pile O'Bones

Tefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Congratulations to those who arrived at Rivendell. Please don't eat and drink everything before the rest of us get there! Especially the mineral water and the miruvor.

Signed: very, very thirsty elf!!!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:20 AM   #888
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

I was looking at the Eowyn Site and now it appears as though The Barrow Downs is not listed in the community area. Is there a reason for this? Or is it an oversite? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2003, 08:06 AM   #889
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

As far as I can see, we're listed as always. A shield has not yet been made for us... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] If there's a page that does not include us, please let me know which one it is so that I can check with the Éowyn site to correct that.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #890
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

The days of our journey begin to blur one into another. At dawn, we arise and break our fast with cram and water. We march until mid-day, when we halt briefly to rest and partake of more cram and water. We then continue marching until the day wanes, at which time we make camp, and end the day...with yet more cram and water. I begin to dream of the laden tables of Rivendell even during waking hours. Glorfindel has promised us a magnificent feast upon our arrival, and the hobbits will hold him to that promise.

--------------------

...days passed, without the ground or the scene changing much...they saw nothing, and heard no sound but the sigh of withered leaves and grass...Glorfindel still urged them on, and only allowed two brief halts during the day's march...So far there had been no sign or sound of pursuit that the hobbits could see or hear...
Old 08-17-2003, 09:45 PM   #891
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I was away at camp for two weeks, but that didn't mean I quit walking! I am now at 323 miles, and I am fully determined to get to Rivendell. Hoo...but there's a heatwave, and heat makes me not want to walk! Noo!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:17 PM   #892
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well now, the river didn't do anything special when I crossed it! Hmmm... I can't imagine why.

I arrive amidst a torrential rain storm, but I am welcomed by all the folk of Rivendell. After a bath & a rest I am given a wonderful dinner. Not a feast though. Elrond explains that the feast will be held when more adventurers have arrived.

I slept 14 hours and woke to a beautiful day. Before breakfast I go for... a walk...only this time I'm holding my coffee cup... and my coffee has Elven Cream in it.

Happy Adventures, fellow walkers. I'm waiting for you.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:48 AM   #893
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Estelyn, looking back at the page I see our points listed but HERE there is no reference. Maybe because Helen is not heading this up anymore. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2003, 06:36 AM   #894
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Hilde, this is listed on that page:
Quote:
Join Estelyn Telcontar ( estelyn@barrowdowns.com ) and Nurumaiel , and the Barrow Downs Walkers on the Walk to Rivendell thread.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:13 AM   #895
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

So very sorry! Seems like I've left more than a pocket handkerchief at home! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I missed it...
Old 08-18-2003, 01:42 PM   #896
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Glorfindel pushes us almost as much as Strider! We're always tired, and we only stop for a few minutes during the hottest part of the day. It feels as soon as I lay down to sleep, it's time to get up and go again!
We have walked 429 miles.
We have reached the place where the four hobbits, Strider, and Glorfindel rested on the Road! (418)
It is 7 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 29 miles to Rivendell.
They cast themselves down in the heather a few yards from the road-side, and fell asleep immediately. They seemed hardly to have closed their eyes when Glorfindel, who had set himself to watch while they slept, awoke them again. The sun had now climbed far into the morning, and the clouds and mists of the night were gone.
-Melilot the Hobbit
or
-Fėa
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 09:24 PM   #897
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
Before breakfast I go for... a walk...only this time I'm holding my coffee cup... and my coffee has Elven Cream in it.
Happy Adventures, fellow walkers. I'm waiting for you.
Raefindel: Congratulations on reaching Rivendell! Ummmm, Elven Cream! Save some for me...I'll be there soon. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

We are getting close to the Ford. Glorfindel and Strider are getting more and more anxious. They fear the Riders are close and will not allow a fire tonight. The River will protect us once we are safely across, but until then our peril will continue to increase.

--------------------

..often Glorfindel would halt and listen for a moment, if they lagged behind, and a look of anxiety clouded his face. Once or twice he spoke to Strider in the elf-tongue.

But however anxious their guides might be, it was plain that the hobbits could go no further that night. They were stumbling along dizzy with weariness, and unable to think of anything but their feet and legs...The hobbits were still weary, when they set out again early next morning...and they hobbled forward at the best pace they could manage.

"Our peril will be greatest just ere we reach the river," said Glorfindel; "for my heart warns me that the pursuit is now swift behind us, and other danger may be waiting by the Ford."

[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: Alatįriėl ]
Old 08-19-2003, 07:53 AM   #898
Dūrlossiel
Haunting Spirit

Dūrlossiel has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

You have walked 218 miles.
You have passed the eastern edge of the Midgewater Marshes (211).
It is 10 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 240 miles to Rivendell.

They had not gone far on the fifth day when they left the last straggling pools and reed-beds of the marshes behind them. The land before them began steadily to rise again. Away in the distance eastward they could now see a line of hills. The highest of them was at the right of the line and a little separated from the others. It had a conical top, slightly flattened at the summit.
'That is Weathertop,' said Strider. 'The Old Road, which we have left far away on our right, runs to the south of it and passes not far from its foot. We might reach it by noon tomorrow, if we go straight towards it. I suppose we had better do so.'

Well, Strider is certainly in a hurry. That's alright, because my job requires much walking and I bought a pedometer. (I walk about 2.5 miles at work every night and that is in addition to any walking I do purely for the challenge.)

Oh, the midges! They like human as well as they like hobbit! They certainly enjoy eating me alive.

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: Dūrlossiel ]

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend; inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
Dūrlossiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:03 AM   #899
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dūm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Congrats Raefindel! Say hello to Elrond from me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Are you going on towards Mordor now? Just remember
Quote:
At MINAS TIRITH, turn LEFT
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Heehee, great link Tinuviel!

I think I can make it on time actually, I didn't expect that, but I've been walking a lot this summer. Walking to Rivendell is extremely motivating, 'cause you know Elrond and Bilbo are waiting for you when you get there! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2003, 08:50 AM   #900
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't laugh, anybody... I only have 11 miles. *hangs head* I don't know why one should laugh at someone for only doing 4 mi in a day- I've only done up to 2! It was really humid last week, but this week it's cooled down, so hopefully I'll get some miles on... But school is starting soon (next Monday!)...

Well, I've at least got to try... (but I have a problem with getting "motivated"- all I can really do is walk up & down the street 16 times...) [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:36 PM   #901
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Welcome Rae to Rivendell. I saved you some biscuits [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Oh and Naz don't worry, everyone has to start somewhere. Just go out there and walk. Walking to music always helps me.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:51 PM   #902
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

It was as Glorfindel feared...the Riders were lying in wait for us at the Ford. Frodo and the other hobbits were able to cross the River before the Riders attacked. When the first of the Riders hit the water though, the River rose up into a flood and overwhelmed them. Amazing!! Arwen wasn't even there to chant her invocation. The rest of us crossed after the water subsided, and we traveled a couple of miles further on before making camp. For the first night since we left Tom's, we are able to rest without fear of pursuit.

--------------------

At that moment there came a roaring and a rushing: a noise of loud waters rolling many stones. Dimly Frodo saw the river below him rise, and down along its course there came a plumed cavalry of waves. White flames seemed to Frodo to flicker on their crests and he half fancied that he saw amid the water white riders upon white horses with frothing manes. The three Riders that were still in the midst of the Ford were overwhelmed: they disappeared, buried suddenly under angry foam. Those that were behind drew back in dismay.

With his last failing senses Frodo heard cries, and it seemed to him that he saw, beyond the Riders that hesitated on the shore, a shining figure of white light; and behind it ran small shadowy forms waving flames, that flared red in the grey mist that was falling over the world.

The black horses were filled with madness, and leaping forward in terror they bore their riders into the rushing flood. Their piercing cries were drowned in the roaring of the river as it carried them away. Then Frodo felt himself falling, and the roaring and confusion seemed to rise and engulf him together with his enemies. He heard and saw no more.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:30 PM   #903
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Thank You Gorwingel! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

*Rae dunks her biscuit in her coffee*

Do you prefer coffee, tea or something stronger? We should put the kettle on for those who are coming in. Look I see Alatįriėl,Estelyn and Linnamalle among others.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:27 AM   #904
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I didn't know if biscuits were very elvish but, oh well, they taste good.

I would prefer something stronger, most definitely [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 08:00 AM   #905
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I have some catching up to do! Last week I swam, and swimming is slow business!

Rae, thanks for thinking of me! Tea, please... Thank you! (Envisions a hobbitty tea set, then shakes head and wonders what elvish teapots look like.)
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:32 AM   #906
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Arafangwen sighed with relife. She had finally reached the great East Road Again! The first thing she saw there was Glorfindel. He urged her on, but she just couldn't go any faster at this point. 'Sleep sounds better to me.' she said with a stiffled yawn at which Glorfindel gave her a smirk but consented.

Hiyah all! I've been Ahem, "lost" in the woods for a while. But I should be back on track soon, not like there's a long way to go now anyhow. 45 miles! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Congrats to all who have already made it there!
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:48 AM   #907
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've made it up to 13 miles! 445 more to go!

*trip*

Congratumalations to everyone who already got to Rivendell! You all don' have to wait for me... Not even my little brother thinks I'll make it... (& Gorwingel, I can't walk to music... I don't have a CD/tape player, unless my friend would let me borrow hers)
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:37 AM   #908
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

*URGENT* - Is anyone entering a humorous short story in the Éowyn site's competition? I've been trying to come up with an idea, so that we'd at least get points for entering, but I must admit, I'd rather someone else did it... We have only three more days!
Old 08-21-2003, 12:45 PM   #909
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Congratulations Raefindel! Save some coffee for the poor elves lagging behind.

Almost halfway there! I'll have to pick up the pace if I hope to make it to Rivendell on time. Maybe if I sing faster, I'll walk faster too! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Estelyn, I am working on a story for the Third House Contest. I usually like to write adventure and drama but I am giving it a go anyway. I hope a few more of us submit something. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2003, 03:21 PM   #910
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

Alas! Only eighteen miles to Rivendell! We crossed the Ford after the Wraiths were swept away, and we camped peacefully about eighteen miles from Rivendell!
(School's started for me, but I'll be there next week!)
We have walked 440 miles.
We have reached the Ford of Bruinen! (436)
We have only 18 miles to Rivendell!!!!!!!!
At that moment there came a roaring and a rushing: a noise of loud waters rolling many stones. Dimly Frodo saw the river below him rise, and down along its course there came a plumed cavalry of waves. White flames seemed to Frodo to flicker on their crests and he half fancied that he saw amid the water white riders upon white horses with frothing manes. The three Riders that were still in the midst of the Ford were overwhelmed: they disappeared, buried suddenly under angry foam. Those that were behind drew back in dismay.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:03 PM   #911
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
Do you prefer coffee, tea or something stronger? We should put the kettle on for those who are coming in. Look I see Alatįriėl, Estelyn and Linnamalle among others.
Raefindel: I'd like some coffee..with Elven cream, please!

Quote:
I've made it up to 13 miles! 445 more to go!
Naz: Don't give up..you'll make it! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
*URGENT* - Is anyone entering a humorous short story in the Éowyn site's competition? I've been trying to come up with an idea, so that we'd at least get points for entering, but I must admit, I'd rather someone else did it... We have only three more days!
Estelyn: I haven't had a chance to go over and check out the requirements, yet. I wrote a couple of 'interviews' with some of the characters (Sam, Aragorn, Smeįgol/Gollum) that I posted on the "Interview" thread here that were a bit funny. Would those qualify? They wouldn't win, but if they're eligible we'd at least get some points.

Now that we're safely across the River (and not being chased by the Riders), I found it hard to start walking again today. However, I'm determined to make it to Rivendell by the 26th, so that I can watch that private showing of TTT with Elladan & Elrohir. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

--------------------

..two tall men, neither young nor old. So much alike were they, the sons of Elrond, that few could tell them apart: dark-haired, grey-eyed, and their faces elven-fair, clad alike in bright mail beneath cloaks of silver-grey.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:09 AM   #912
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Don't worry Naz, I'm not motivated at all, really. I just walk around the block 4 times for a mile. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] And I think you made a mistake: I don't walk 4 miles a day, I just happened to walk 4 miles one day. The only real excersies I get is volleyball, but luckily (or unluckily) we have a demon coach that makes us run, like, 3 miles per practice. Getting healthy, fit, and extremely sore!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:31 AM   #913
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oooh! I'm seven miles from the ford? maybe I'll get there the day after tomorrow. I hope I don't pass out or fall down... and I hope it doesn't flood (at least til I'm across!)
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:51 AM   #914
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome Naz! Glad to have sombody here at the rear with me. We'll get there, someday.

Estelyn, I'm working on a story, and praying it's done by Sunday. The pyroclastics of Mt. Doom can not be stoped!
Old 08-23-2003, 02:39 AM   #915
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi, y'all! I've never posted on this thread before, but I learned of the story contest on irc this late eve, early morning, thanks to Pyroclastic! I can't resist contests, but I haven't really kept up with mileage or anything, so I can't really say I'm really walking to Rivendell or am on a house team or anything like that. Is there any way I can retroactively add up all the walking I do around here and estimate? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And about that story contest, it sounds pretty open ended in theme, so I constructed the best comic story I could do for 2:30 a.m. and finished it. It is truly awful. Should I still try to enter it? Do they take points away for truly bad story entries? This one is truly unpolished!

Cheers,
Lyta
(estimating about 20 odd miles through forests and down to the garden and back in the past few weeks or so--are we there yet?)
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 03:24 AM   #916
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Go for it, Lyta - you have nothing to lose! I don't *think* they'll detract points... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Just register, put up your mileage, then check out the house contest page to enter your story. Good luck, and welcome to the Walk!
Old 08-23-2003, 10:32 AM   #917
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I just walked my 458th mile and have arrived at Rivendell!! I will be celebrating with something nice to drink - no miruvor, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it! I plan to continue on to Lothlórien after savouring the feeling of having reached my goal. (And that before the TTT video release! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) It's nice to see all of you who are already here, and we look forward to greeting the rest during the next months.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:52 AM   #918
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

Congratulations Esty! Save me some Elven tea and some Lembas.
I didn't want to walk today, but Strider and Glorfindel pushed us on. We put in four miles this morn, and then stopped for a quick lunch.
We have walked 444 miles.
We have reached the Ford of Bruinen! (436)
We have only 14 miles to Rivendell!!!!!
Old 08-23-2003, 01:57 PM   #919
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Go for it, Lyta - you have nothing to lose! I don't *think* they'll detract points... Just register, put up your mileage, then check out the house contest page to enter your story. Good luck, and welcome to the Walk!
Thanks, Esty, a congratulations on making it to Rivendell! I'm WAY behind you, but perhaps I'll walk along with Naz and Pyroclastic! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I looked on the Eowyn page, but I don't see a registration page, except for the join this mailing list or that links and an email for the Eowyn Challenge webmaster. Am I looking in the wrong place? UPDATE: I think I found it! I entered my measly 20 miles, but plan to try the 3 mi. winding gravel road later today, there and back. Wish me luck!

OK, as for mileage, here's my odd guess (I've walked around about a mile path on my land 10-12 times over a month and traipsed down to the other bldg and bridge on our land (wistfully called the Brandywine Bridge by me!) countless times, about 1/4 mi. round trip, so estimate 10 miles of that.) So, 20 miles it is! I think I'll try level ground next--easier on the back! And the ticks out here are as big as the Spiders of Mirkwood!

You have walked 20 miles.
You have passed Green Hill Country (18).
It is 7 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 438 miles to Rivendell.

After some time they crossed the Water, west of Hobbiton, by a narrow plank-bridge. The stream was there no more than a winding black ribbon, bordered with leaning alder-trees. A mile or two further south they hastily crossed the great road from the Brandywine Bridge; they were now in the Tookland and bending south-eastwards they made for the Green Hill Country. As they began to climb its first slopes they looked back and saw the lamps in Hobbiton far off twinkling in the gentle valley of the Water. Soon it disappeared in the folds of the darkened land, and was followed by Bywater beside its grey pool. When the light of the last farm was far behind, peeping among the trees, Frodo turned and waved a hand in farewell.

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. Anecdote from the road: There is a VERY shady spot on this trail that gave me the exact feeling of Pippin in the forest past Buckland (the "just let me pass!" feeling of living trees watching me a little too closely.) Weird, but I'm going back soon! Maybe I can take pictures!

[ August 23, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 02:40 PM   #920
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Woohoo! 332 miles!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote