The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2003, 08:47 PM   #41
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>October 20th, 2004: 49th Anniversary of the publication of RotK<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>OR- since the EE most likely won't be out by then, we could wait in reverence until 2005, and do it on the <I><B>50th</B></I> anniversary of the publication of RotK! Although I am not sure anyone would have the perseverence to wait so long...

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:55 AM   #42
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>October 6th: Rememberance of Frodo's stabbing at Weathertop<BR>October 20th, 2004: 49th Anniversary of the publication of RotK<BR>October 25th: Day of the Council of Elrond<BR>December 25th: Day the Company set out from Rivendell.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmmm...my problem is...getting MORE Tolkein fans with me---only got a handful in my area. Better start gathering recruits!<P>Thanks for the date suggestions!
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:22 AM   #43
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>we could wait in reverence until 2005, and do it on the 50th anniversary of the publication of RotK!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>w00t! Great idea! True, we may not be able to wait until then, but who says we can only have <I>one</I> LotR viewing party? The more, the Merry-er. (heehee, cornyness...)
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:11 AM   #44
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Okay I have another question:<BR>What do you guys think about <I>spreading that idea via the internet and/or word of mouth</I> over the next couple years, and then all having an <B>Extended Edition Marathon</B> on the <I>same day?</I> <BR>Most likely in 2005 I would think... but I'd just like to know what you think for now.<P><I>Be iest lin...</I><p>[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-18-2003, 06:18 PM   #45
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>What do you guys think about spreading that idea via the internet and/or word of mouth over the next couple years, and then all having an Extended Edition Marathon on the same day?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>Sounds like a plan! Only problem would be whether or not it falls on a weekday for those poor people (like me) who have school or work. I'm not positive, but I think the 20th may fall on a Tuesday next year...
Old 08-18-2003, 07:49 PM   #46
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Glad you like it, <B>Arianrod</B>, I wasn't sure how far fetched it might sound.<P>I don't know how it will work with people who have official occupations or school. One suggestion might be doing it when they get home, or possibly taking the day off? <BR>It isn't an obligation, the point would be merely to try... <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Pass it on!</I><p>[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-18-2003, 08:46 PM   #47
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Are we talking about making this a global event as in a world record? Having a dvd marathon along with thet rest of the world? As in making happen 24 hours in all time zones? <P>If that's the case, then join me in! Will gather fellow Tolkien freaks at my homely house!
Old 08-18-2003, 08:50 PM   #48
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

Looking bach at this thread, we've made a significant swing from despair to excitement...Good for everyone who worries about what lies ahead...
Old 08-18-2003, 08:54 PM   #49
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hmmm...my problem is...getting MORE Tolkein fans with me---only got a handful in my area. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Same here! Some of my friends like LOTR, but not anywhere near as much as I do. I guess it will have to be a one-person party!

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:44 PM   #50
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Looking bach at this thread, we've made a significant swing from despair to excitement..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Certainly looks that way... Thanks for spawning the idea, <B>Arianrod</B>. <P><I>Shall we try it then?</I><BR> <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Revive the slogan!</I><p>[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-19-2003, 01:53 PM   #51
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "For thus it is spoken: <I>Oft hope is born when all is forlorn</I>." ~ Legolas <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Gotta love the elves! I for one will be reading fan fiction as well as the re-reading the books and watching the movies again, and again, and again, and again....<P>I would love to gather LOTR fanatics at my house for a gigantic marathon! Let's set a date shall we? Mabey we should span it over a few days or a weekend or something and watch one movie a day for those of us who are time pressed?<p>[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: Arafangwen ]
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:04 PM   #52
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Mabey we should span it over a few days or a weekend or something and watch one movie a day for those of us who are time pressed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, for those who are time pressed, that would be great. <P>But I am leaning toward sticking with the 20th of October 2005 and watching them all at once for now. At least for those who can. And that leaves plenty of time to plan for those who may not be able to. <BR>Perhaps you might schedule to have a day or two off during that week...?<P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Revive the slogan!</I>

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-19-2003, 02:49 PM   #53
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legolas said that, did he??? Oh, I love him sooo much...hey at least there'll be all his forthicoming movies to look forward to...who was it talking about his death shown on the TV when we're eighty??? I almost cried!!! (Mind you, I was listening to 'Come What May'...talking about "I will love you until my dying day").<BR>Hmm yes, we should have a marathon, that'd be cool...although yes, I am the only book+film fan, my friends just seem to like Aragorn! Although come to think of it, since I named all my friends after characters in the story, they have taken considerably more interest in it...guess who I am? lol<BR>I might just try learning Sindarin if I am especially desperate, make some of the costumes, Arwen in particular has SO MANY it would be a VERY long project...<BR>And in a few years time we could have an Orlando Bloom marathon!!! Watching his acting improve through the years...did anyone notice how much better his acting in Pirates was than in Midsomer Murders and Lord of the Rings and stuff???
Old 08-19-2003, 09:39 PM   #54
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Thanks for spawning the idea, Arianrod.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Glad to be of help! This is gonna be great!! Shall we plan it for late 2004, or be patient like good little Dead Ringers and wait till 2005? <P><B>Frodo lives!</B> <I>Frodo most certaintly <B>does</B> live!</I>
Old 08-20-2003, 07:50 AM   #55
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>be patient like good little Dead Ringers and wait till 2005?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I say we should do that. As it would give more time to spread the seemingly infectious idea and, as has been said:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>the more the <B>merry</B>-er!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It would give people with strict schedules more time to plan as well... <P><B>EDIT:</B> For anyone who cares: it would also give us something to look foreward to in 2005. Otherwise it would all be over in 2004, and that would be quite sad, now wouldn't it? <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Revive the slogan!</I><p>[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-20-2003, 09:50 AM   #56
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

I think 2005 sounds like a good idea, and it would give us plenty of time to organize mass watchers..... And it would give us with strict time schedules more time to wormtounge( ) our way into a break.<P>But one question remains, what day should we hold it on?<P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Revive the slogan!</I>
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #57
Helín Anyára
Pile O'Bones

Helín Anyára has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Surprise, Arwen!<P>Guess who? You have to guess. <P>You already know what I think about this topic... Life will be over after it comes out. J/k. <BR>Even after RotK, we will be better off than *life before it all*, because we will always HAVE them, to watch and listen and watch again, along with the books, to read and marvel and read again... But of course, it just won't be the same.<P>Amarth erahn empri... :0)<P><BR><BLOCKQUOTE>code:<HR><pre>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~<BR>"...And though I oft have passed them by,<BR>A day will come at last when I<BR>Shall take the hidden paths that run<BR>West of the Moon, East of the Sun."<BR> ~Frodo<BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ </pre><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-20-2003, 01:58 PM   #58
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, <I>Avmiel</I> Helín! Enjoy being dead! <P>I have a friend whose <I>true</I> name I translated into elvish (her own was not quite so nice as she might have liked), and it came out to exactly that! Interesting.<P>What do you think of the other question?<P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Revive the slogan!</I>

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-20-2003, 02:13 PM   #59
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> but what day should we hold it on?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would say October 20th, <B>Arafangwen</B>. That is- the 50th anniversary of the publication of RotK, as it does seem the most worthy. But we've got to agree to some extent... <P><I>Be iest lin...</I><P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Revive the slogan!</I>

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-20-2003, 02:22 PM   #60
Helín Anyára
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Thank you Arwen <P>But because I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic, I will just tell you... this IS the friend. <P>As to the other idea... sounds all right to me. <B>Fiftieth</B> anniversary sounds like a fun, significant date. But as it is I don't really feel strongly about the *date*... just whatever everyone else decides. Any excuse to watch the trilogy, one after another....<P>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<BR>"...And though I oft have passed them by,<BR>A day will come at last when I<BR>Shall take the hidden paths that run<BR>West of the Moon, East of the Sun."<BR> ~Frodo
Old 08-20-2003, 02:30 PM   #61
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Fifty is a very important number, for more reasons than one. It is the birthday on which both Frodo and Bilbo set out on their quests. And it's a cool number, and a long time, and a good time to "kelebrate". So I suppose fiftieth anniversary it is!<P><B>Frodo Lives!</B><P>(We should all put that in our signatures!)<p>[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

Old 08-20-2003, 02:37 PM   #62
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I forgot about that, <B>Luthien</B>!<P><B>Is it a keeper then?</B> <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Revive the slogan!</I><P>I think eventually I <I>will</I> put that in my sig, but for now, I like to type it.

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:45 PM   #63
arianrod
Wight

Shield

We can call it the "Golden Ring Marathon" (get it? the Ring's gold and gold represents the 50th anniversary of something ). Spread it over the forums! Give all us Tolkien fans something to look forward to after all the excitment's over! Joy! <P><B>Frodo lives!</B> <I>Revive the slogan: paint it on public property everywhere! (j/k! )!</I>
Old 08-20-2003, 09:04 PM   #64
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Oooo! I'm getting excited reading this thread! I shall surely join in! Of course...I'm the only obsessive Tolkien fan I know... My friends will watch it with me, they like the <B>movies</B> *they're not book fans * ...Hmmm...I know one other book-fan, but I don't know him too well, and he's nowhere near as obsessed as I am... <P>Any-woo, I'd be glad to join in! This is going great! It'll be so good to have something to look forward to after the sadness that is the last movie... We can bake lembas and have Ent-draught to drink... They sell green Kool-Aid that would look the part. I'm not sure what it <B>tastes</B> like...
Old 08-20-2003, 09:11 PM   #65
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

The green kool-aid tasts pretty good. We could do that... <P>I only know two other people who might like to do it. But I would <I>love</I> to try. <P>For now: <P><B><I>Spread the word! The 1st annual Golden Ring Marathon! October 20th 2005! Tell Everyone! Frodo Lives!</I></B>

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-20-2003, 09:23 PM   #66
Helín Anyára
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I <B><I>do</I></B> believe it's actually going to come to pass, Raiedanë! We have only to see how far this apparently infectious bug spreads... <P><BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<BR>"...Yet with your hope I will hope. And the Shadow I utterly reject."<BR> ~Aragorn
Old 08-20-2003, 09:34 PM   #67
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The green kool-aid tasts pretty good. We could do that... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Woo! That's a relief. The stuff has way too much sugar to be good for you, but that a-okay...<P>We should add the message to our signatures, so that word will get around. I'll do that now...
Old 08-21-2003, 05:27 AM   #68
Elentári
Wight

Sting

Um...what is green kool-aid??????? (I'm english ok? I didn't even know what a band-aid was!!!)<P>Sounds like a good idea tho! Um...we <I>can</I> watch the EE before this marathon, can't we? And just watch all three in a row on the marathon day. I think I would die if I had to wait...if we can watch it first I think more people would be willing to take part lol.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #69
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Um...we can watch the EE before this marathon, can't we?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Of course! I think we'd probably die if we had to wait for <I>that</I>. I know I would. <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B><p>[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #70
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Boots

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Um...what is green kool-aid??????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Kool-Aid is a brand of drink. It's one of those powders you mix with water and sugar to create something way too sugary for your dentist to agree with. And it comes in all different colors and flavors, including green, which is why I thought it would make good Ent-draught <P>Umm... I don't know about anyone else, but I have school on the 20th of October, 2005. It'll be a Thursday. I guess some people can take off from work, but what about us school people? I know this topic was addressed earlier, but did we ever reach a solution?
Old 08-21-2003, 01:58 PM   #71
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

It was sort of a tentative answer, Daisy. You could just watch them when you get home. But if that cannot be done, I suppose you could wait until the weekend. <BR>I myself would not prefer this option, but am sure that some shan't be able to help it. <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B>

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-21-2003, 08:49 PM   #72
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I don't suppose skipping school is an option...

Old 08-22-2003, 12:22 AM   #73
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I don't suppose skipping school is an option... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>We wish... If only, if only.<P>I'll see what I can do. I'll just hope that there's some kind of field trip or something that day. Or maybe I'll just so happen to get sick. Not skipping, just...getting sick... <P>WOOOO! I'm a wight! Finally!<p>[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Amarantha_Daisy ]
Old 08-22-2003, 07:51 AM   #74
Elentári
Wight

Sting

It's a Thursday? What a bummer...OK, in 2004 I will take my GCSEs, so that September I will start the AS course...so October 2005...oh dear, that's A2...(i.e. A-levels) That is a bummer indeed...and I skate early on a Friday morning...(yes, this is very forward planning, I don't even know if I will still be skating by then!)<BR>But if I have a free period on that day...no hang on...with a bit of luck it might fall into October half-term holiday...oh god, I hope so!
Old 08-22-2003, 04:31 PM   #75
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Not skipping, just...getting sick...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*laughs* That might work. <P>Looks like you've got a bit of planning ahead of you, <B>Elentári</B>. Your mind must be much more organised than mine. I really hope it works out for you though. <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B>

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-23-2003, 05:23 PM   #76
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Now I am glad that I'm going to homeschool. I might just be able to work it out.... But for the reat of you, I am truly sorry. I suppose everyone will either have to wait until the weekend, or else get sick, suddenly and unexpectedly. Or be really, really, lucky, and have some sort of a school holiday or something... Perhaps you could take it up with the school principal or whatnot ("But it <I>is</I> a holiday, Mr. Blank! I can't believe we don't celebrate (kelebrate, for those of you who know of what I speak) it! The anniversary of the publication of the greatest book of all time surely deserves some sort of holiday!")

Old 08-23-2003, 11:43 PM   #77
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The anniversary of the publication of the greatest book of all time surely deserves some sort of holiday!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But of course! I mean, all Columbus did was get lost in a ship and 'discover' a continent by pure accident and <I>he</I> gets his own holiday. Tolkien, however, <I>created</I> a continent. Now isn't that much more deserving of a holiday? Yes indeed.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:33 AM   #78
Ughósh the Abominable
Pile O'Bones

Ughósh the Abominable has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ughósh the Abominable
What is there to look forward to after RotK comes out?<P>First, wait for the RotK EE.<P>Then stand in awe of the awesomeness that is the 9-hour Lord of the Rings Movie Marathon.<P>
Old 08-24-2003, 09:28 AM   #79
Elentári
Wight

Sting

Er...how many holidays do you Americans get??? You mean you get a day off to celebrate Columbus finding America??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!<BR>We get bank holidays and stuff...and I think we had an extra holiday for the Golden Jubilee...but that's hardly every year...on the other hand we get things like half-term holidays and a (relatively) long Christmas holiday...what do you get?
Old 08-24-2003, 09:30 AM   #80
Elentári
Wight

Sting

9 hours! I never thought of it like that...ahh well, now we will have an excuse to dance around like lunatics brandishing swords...it's all in the name of avoiding deep-vein thrombosis...