The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #241
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Watching AUJ...

just isn't in the cards for me.

My wife bought it on DVD when it was released, and then lent it to someone. From whose home it was stolen. Confusticate and bebother!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #242
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
This has happened to me on every rare occasion that I've tried to watch the LOTR films. It's the only time cleaning the catbox seems inviting.
It is said the Egyptians constructed the pyramids while watching the LotR films.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #243
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Friends?!? Friends?!?

True friends do not invite friends over to watch The Hobbit.

Thing is, though they didn't love it on the first viewing, they liked it well enough. And, despite all my grumpiness, so did I. However, the second watching was just beyond human abilities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
It is said the Egyptians constructed the pyramids while watching the LotR films.
The reason being, most likely, that the Chinese have reserved the Hobbit movies for their Great Wall.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #244
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Dwarves and cats and interweb memes

I'm sure Queen Beruthiel would not be amused.

The Hobbit and Cats
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #245
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ha! "Kind as summer" indeed.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #246
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Eye

Poor, darling Hugo..mind you most cats get grumpy when other cats take over their house and eat all their food....

A friend is threatening me with the extended edition. I am hoping I have moved house before that is released.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #247
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Those are spot on!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #248
Michael Murry
Haunting Spirit

Michael Murry is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Extending the Already Interminable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
A friend is threatening me with the extended edition.
Extending the already interminable. What a concept.

I can just imagine thirty additional minutes of "pixels hanging over the edge of a cliff" or "pixels falling without injury down into yawning chasms" -- that kind of stuff.

Saw it once. Shame on them for fooling me. Saw it twice? No way. That would make a fool out of me.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #249
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Those are spot on!
I just noticed that Thorin has several photos and look-a-likes.

Clearly a fan of the man!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #250
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murry View Post

I can just imagine thirty additional minutes of "pixels hanging over the edge of a cliff" or "pixels falling without injury down into yawning chasms" -- that kind of stuff.

Saw it once. Shame on them for fooling me. Saw it twice? No way. That would make a fool out of me.
The CIA tried to use the extended version in place of waterboarding as an enhanced interrogation technique. Unfortunately, many prisoners died of old age prior to divulging information.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #251
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murry View Post

I plan on taking my knitting..at least I might get a pair of socks out of it.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #252
What_about_Bilbo?
Pile O'Bones

What_about_Bilbo? has just left Hobbiton.
Hi everyone, new user, just registered. I lurked here for a bit about a month ago while I was active on the TORn forums. All I can say is I'm glad that this seems like a place where people can comfortably express their distaste for AUJ.

I saw AUJ twice in theaters (we all make mistakes right? ). Looking back I feel like I was probably in denial about the overall lower quality of the film. After unwisely purchasing the blu-ray in anticipation of the extremely disappointing live stream event (which felt like heavy handed PR with a Warner Bros representative off screen holding a gun to everyone's head), and several in-home viewings, the film just doesn't hold up for me anymore.

So now I'm stuck with a blu-ray/dvd pack that I just want to snap in half.

I'm sure you've all discussed the minor/major details at great length so I won't get in to that. Well I think I've learned my lesson now. No AUJ EE for me, and no DOS and TABA either.
What_about_Bilbo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #253
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome to the Downs, What_about_Bilbo? Hope you enjoy your stay.

And always remember that there's more to Middle Earth than just AUJ.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #254
What_about_Bilbo?
Pile O'Bones

What_about_Bilbo? has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Welcome to the Downs, What_about_Bilbo? Hope you enjoy your stay.

And always remember that there's more to Middle Earth than just AUJ.
Thanks! I find that I need to remind myself that more and more each day, and I do feel that I am long overdue for some Tolkien rehab!

-WaB?
What_about_Bilbo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #255
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
This is a very minor point, but in the film do Gandalf and Radagast seem to pronounce 'Dol Guldur' with the emphasis on the final syllable (the 'dur')? It was my understanding that it should be on the penultimate syllable (the 'gul').
Also shouldn't 'Ungoliant' be pronounced something like 'oon-goll-ee-ahnt'?
This always struck me because they generally seem to do a decent job of pronouncing things correctly (ói and ái in Dwarf-names being the most egregious exception to my ear).
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #256
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
This is a very minor point, but in the film do Gandalf and Radagast seem to pronounce 'Dol Guldur' with the emphasis on the final syllable (the 'dur')? It was my understanding that it should be on the penultimate syllable (the 'gul').
Also shouldn't 'Ungoliant' be pronounced something like 'oon-goll-ee-ahnt'?
This always struck me because they generally seem to do a decent job of pronouncing things correctly (ói and ái in Dwarf-names being the most egregious exception to my ear).
I say Dol-Gooldoor, and Oon-go-lee-aunt (like they say aunt in Brittain (here most people say it the same way as the animal ant))
Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #257
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I say Dol-Gooldoor, and Oon-go-lee-aunt (like they say aunt in Brittain (here most people say it the same way as the animal ant))
I gave up trying to pronounce Middle-earthisms correctly in the 2nd Age. If someone says I pronounced something wrong, I merely reply that I'm using a Southron accent.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #258
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
The only pronunciations that I found grating in the first film were "Dain" and "Thrain." Which...they fell into the Dane-Thrane pronunciation trap. But at least those aren't major characters that will continually be named. I was worried they would fall into the "Baleen" "Dwaleen" "Thoreen" traps, which would have been extremely hard to sit through...especially considering the rest of the film was difficult enough.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #259
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

LordPhillock has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to LordPhillock
coincidentally, "Thoreen" is the nickname me and my friends gave the movie character. Probably to make it sound like chlorine, since there have to be some sort of chemicals in that hair to make it so well kempt.
LordPhillock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #260
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPhillock View Post
there have to be some sort of chemicals in that hair to make it so well kempt.
Which is to say nothing of the product in Radagast's - because he's worth it.
'Radaghast' is the way I see that most commonly misspelled, incidentally. Seems appropriate.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #261
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

I suppose I ought to report that I have now seen the movie a second time. It helps to view it from the confines of a soft sofa, but not by much.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:39 AM   #262
malickfan
Pile O'Bones

malickfan has just left Hobbiton.
I tried to rewatch AUJ the other night, but sadly I had to check if the paint was drying OK.

Still can't get over the albino fork monster.
malickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #263
Michael Murry
Haunting Spirit

Michael Murry is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Merciful Endings

Here in Taiwan, a certain cable television channel has threatened to show this cinematic abomination -- complete with commercial interruptions -- sometime during the month of September. Even "for free," I cannot decide whether to subject myself for a second time to such a grueling ordeal. Because:

Radagast
Left me aghast
Until, mercifully,
This miserable excuse for one-third of a movie
Ended
At last
Old 09-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #264
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
I suppose I ought to report that I have now seen the movie a second time. It helps to view it from the confines of a soft sofa, but not by much.
For me it was the opposite. While I did not have the comfort of pausing the movie in the theatres, I was seeing it for the first time. As I've said before on this thread, when I was watching it for the second time with a bunch of schoolmates, we decided to extend the endpoint of the second bathroom break we had (around Rivendel) into infinity. In other words, we didn't have the patience to sit through it a second time, comforts or not.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #265
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
. . . when I was watching it for the second time with a bunch of schoolmates, we decided to extend the endpoint of the second bathroom break we had (around Rivendel) into infinity. In other words, we didn't have the patience to sit through it a second time, comforts or not.
Alas that choice was not available to me. I was screening it for a guest, someone who had not seen the movie, who was quite content to watch it all.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #266
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Alas that choice was not available to me. I was screening it for a guest, someone who had not seen the movie, who was quite content to watch it all.
I can only sympathise and count myself lucky.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #267
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, what a hobbit-ish host you are, Bb, sitting through the film even though you were "bewildered and bewuthered"!

Only the Extended Edition will do;
And when the film's over we're not done!
Watch every single deleted scene too;
Then watch it again with the commentary on!

That's what Ms. Bêthberry hates!
So press "Play All" on the featurettes!

Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #268
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
In one sitting? I assume they had a colostomy bag.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #269
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
OK, its a long film but in total the trilogy will come in at half the length of a TV season or around the length of a HBO season. And its not like you're being charged by the hour - its the same price to watch as a movie half the length.

And if you really want you can watch something else instead.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #270
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
OK, its a long film but in total the trilogy will come in at half the length of a TV season or around the length of a HBO season. And its not like you're being charged by the hour - its the same price to watch as a movie half the length.
You know, with the right spin, those could be great selling points!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #271
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I can't help but laugh bleakly to myself that after a decade of being told that films are a whole different media and so shouldn't be judged against the book, that it is now suggested that the films shouldn't be judged as films...
But the Hobbit from its origins as a bedtime story is a natural serial with the mini cliffhangers every couple of chapters..and now I am days away from Jackanory little else matters.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #272
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

I only wonder if someone would be able to cut relevant scenes and make one movie out of three - the one that would contain only what is in the book. Will it be entertaining?
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #273
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
This looks like the new trailer. Sorry it's not a link to the trailer itself, but it's embedded in the story.

It's like looking at a 5 year old's drawing of a cat. You can tell what it's supposed to be, but as a representation of the real thing it's a bust. Nice to see the inevitable warrior-elf and Legolas romantic tension.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #274
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
This looks like the new trailer. Sorry it's not a link to the trailer itself, but it's embedded in the story.

It's like looking at a 5 year old's drawing of a cat. You can tell what it's supposed to be, but as a representation of the real thing it's a bust. Nice to see the inevitable warrior-elf and Legolas romantic tension.
I didn't want to watch - but I succumbed. And like the trailer for part one, it has me thinking "Oh, that actually looks quite fun, if a poor adaptation." But that's the point of trailers, isn't it, to bewilder you into watching something you otherwise wouldn't? I can't believe how much added angst and interpersonal conflict has been shoehorned in judging by those couple of minutes alone.

The thing that always confuses me is that you could make an amazing film that was accurate to the books, one that would be so fresh and original compared to what Hollywood is regularly churning out, one that would probably get people in the cinema in any event (based on the reputation of the book alone) and yet they don't. Then again, nothing in this project has involved any courage, has it?

Oh and, by the way, in the spirit of the other trailer thread:

"You have no right to enter that mountain!"
"I have the only right."

"Amateurish" scarcely begins to describe it. I can imagine a clip from the trailer for part three:

Bilbo: We can't do that!
Thorin/Gandalf: Yes we can.
Bilbo: Oh, okay then.
*epic music*
Old 10-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #275
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
I can imagine a clip from the trailer for part three:

Bilbo: We can't do that!
Thorin/Gandalf: Yes we can.
Bilbo: Oh, okay then.
*epic music*
Shouldn't that be *loud but fairly uninspiring music* rather than epic...
Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #276
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Ach, I already know I'm going to watch it: once in the cinema, and enjoy it for what it is; and once more on DVD, enjoying it somewhat less; and probably not a third time.

Who's the girl?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #277
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Who's the girl?
That's Orlando Bloom. He's playing Legolas.

Really, that's I think Tauriel, another gem from the fertile PJ imagination.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #278
LordPhillock
Animated Skeleton

LordPhillock has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to LordPhillock
I know I'm going to enjoy it for what it is: a parody. It's going to be hilarious.
LordPhillock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #279
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I envision posters of Bakshi, Rankin and Bass going "Miss us yet?"
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #280
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I still say it was a fun movie. And the new one looks fun too. It ain't The Hobbit, but it looks fun nonetheless. Somebody pass me the popcorn.