The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-04-2002, 03:06 PM   #1
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting oh no.....

just take a look at the poster farthest to the bottom...<A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_features_banners.html" TARGET=_blank>Arwen, Eowyn,Aragorn</A>
Old 11-04-2002, 03:16 PM   #2
Princess of Mirkwood
Pile O'Bones

Princess of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I see a cat fight in the very near future!<P>
Old 11-04-2002, 03:31 PM   #3
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You beat me to it Princess. I was going to say exactly the same thing. It's sad they can't just stick to what JRRT wrote. I will say that FoTR-movie version was closer than I thought it would be. Maybe TTT-movie version will surprise me too.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:43 PM   #4
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I hope so. Maybe they're just promoting a "love triangle" to get those gutter-minds into the theaters, in hopes that they will leave Tolkienophiles.<P>At least, I hope so. If there's a catfight, I'll start hitting people.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:34 PM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It's just marketing. I wouldn't worry about it. Marketing is so stupid. Always has been...always will be.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:41 PM   #6
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Sting

^unfortunately, that works for everything but beer commercials.....
Old 11-05-2002, 08:01 AM   #7
Mlo
Haunting Spirit

Mlo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hehehe, I saw it recently, and showed it to my friend, now we are both terrified that TTT will become some kind of 'love triangle drama' Hehehe... <BR>Tagline (not real, just made it up ): Who will have the heart of the King? <BR>Doom is near...
Mlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:17 AM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Or how about this tagline: "Two women, one Ring...who will this handsome bachelor choose to be his bride? Tune in on December 18th to find out."<P><I>*laughs insanely while smashing television screen*</I><p>[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 11-05-2002, 11:24 AM   #9
Keneldil the Polka-dot
Wight

Keneldil the Polka-dot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<retching noise> That Bachelor show is an example of all that is wrong with television. If we went to an ABC board meeting we would no doubt find Balrog's, Sauron, and Morgoth himself sitting at the head of the table. <P><gives TV over to Diamond18 for smashing><P>"Arwen or Eowyn....who will be voted off ME next?"
Old 11-05-2002, 12:38 PM   #10
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Is it just me or doesn't Eowyn fall in love with Aragorn in the book?<P>Next the the Saruman poster (Grima is creepy looking) it is the best looking one.<p>[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: GreyIstar ]

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:12 PM   #11
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's O.K., there is one with Frodo really big in the centre. And at least in the "love triangle" Aragorn is the biggest and in front. Hey, I'm trying to look on the positive side today!
Old 11-05-2002, 03:17 PM   #12
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

But in the book, there is no love triangle. There is a healthy, long term, faithful relationship and an unrequited crush.<P>I'm seriously going to start hitting people if Aragorn even checks Eowyn out. Then I'll set some stuff on fire. Like popcorn, and the hair of the annoying person next to me.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:59 PM   #13
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Let's just hope the writers and/or P.J. didn't go TOOO far and have Aragorn... <coughs nervously> "cheat" on Arwen...<P>Someone please tell me if they know i'm wrong...i haven't looked too much into TTT and i'm praying i'm wrong...
Old 11-05-2002, 05:12 PM   #14
GreyIstar
Wight

Sting

My lord you people are way too sensative. You see something and you blow it way out of proportion.<P>He is a guy, of course Aragorn might take a small "check Eowyn out" Actually it would make him more human than mythic hero. <P>I have yet to see anything in any trailer or picture that leads me to beleive he is recipricating any of Eowyn's feelings. All I see is a poster with Aragorn sword drawn and half looking like he is about to turn around and hew off both those girls heads.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
Old 11-05-2002, 05:16 PM   #15
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Guys, it is JUST a movie. You always have the books, the real version.<P>I'll like the movie anyway, so I'm not too bothered myself. I just think you're all jumping to stupid conclusions from one poster.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:09 PM   #16
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I wouldn't mind it if it was in the books themselves. In the end, All it does is give me something to do, so it's fine by me,
Old 11-05-2002, 07:29 PM   #17
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

Hmm... interesting picture. I once took a tiny little course in advertising, so I am going to "enlighten" you with a little of my knowledge. In this picture, notice that Arwen is closer (larger in the picture) than Eowyn. This sends the viewer's subconscious mind the message that Eowyn is not going to "get" Aragorn. Think about it, it does make sense. Go look at the poster as if you have never even heard of Eowyn and Arwen and see which one you think has more impact on Aragorn's life.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:57 PM   #18
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Good point, Cúdae! I happen to be of the few people who actually like the poster!! As long as Eowyn doesn't get <I>too</I> close to Aragorn, and he doesn't do anything he shouldn't.... If they have him the least bit interested in her, I will be soooo mad at PJ!! <BR>Arwen
Old 11-05-2002, 11:25 PM   #19
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Oh NO!!!! It's a POSTER!!! It features Aragorn, Arwen, and Eowyn!!! OMIGOD!!! PJ is most definitely going to pervert Tolkien's masterpiece with a NASTY LOVE TRIANGLE!!! Let's all give ourselves a giant nosebleed over it!!! And while we're at it, let's note the Freudian symbolism of the sword, and FREAK OUT about the fact that Arwen appears to be wearing MAKE-UP!!! I can't TAKE IT ANYMORE! Somebody call an ambulance! Call the White House! Let's all freak out together about this horrible conspiracy to destroy our favorite work of literature!!!<P> <P>Seriously guys, I think some of us could be just a tad more positive.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:16 AM   #20
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I honestly think that Eowyn's crush on Aragorn in the book is such an unimportant part and I really don't care about it. Why are they making a poster about it? Look, I don't care when movies alter the story. Hey, I got over the lack of Glorfindel didn't I? But I really think the whole Eowyn-Aragorn relationship was really unimportant and should not be put forward as a major theme.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:28 AM   #21
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I like that poster! Hey, they are both pretty good looking women. I just wish that Viggo wasn't taking up so much space!<P>I might be wrong, but there is a love triangle in Tolkien's LotRs. Aragorn remained faithful to Arwen, and as it has been said above, there is nothing to indicate that he won't in the movie.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:05 AM   #22
Mlo
Haunting Spirit

Sting

PJ will probably not make the WHOLE movie into a love triangle thingy, but Eowyn's crush on Aragorn will definitalay (sp?) be larger. I mean, it will be more important. But what many of you have already said, it's only a movie, the books are still there. But the first impression you get from this poster, IS a love triangle drama, atleast it has that effect on me... But PJ respects Tolkiens works as much as we do (i suppose) so he probably wont make it a love triangle thingy...<BR>Hehehe, but it's still fun making up taglines... hehehe... ok, it's probably only I who have that opinion, I have such a weird taste of humor...
Old 11-06-2002, 12:57 PM   #23
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

I had a lot of fun making up my tagline. Hey, I was laughing insanely, wasn't I? I'm not terribly worried about the movie. I think the only reason to get upset is because we liked the first movie and really want the second one to live up to it. We'll still have the books, of course, but I for one want the movies to be good, too, so that I can enjoy them.<P>Like I said before....it's marketing, and that's the way marketing is. Arwen's part in FotR was really quite small, but they used her...what, three?....scenes in the adverts so that you thought she was the star. It's the same thing for TTT.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:07 PM   #24
GreyIstar
Wight

Sting

I watched the Count of Monte Cristo, and in the special features it interviewed the screenwriter and he said:<P>"Its not exactly like the book. If you want exactly like the book then read the book. Its a good book but its not a movie."<P>And PJ is staying as true to the book as he can and still make a great movie.

Old 11-06-2002, 03:13 PM   #25
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Sting

It is a horrible poster though. The should have one with Aragorn drenched form the rain cutting off an orcs head. Love doesn't make a good story, in the end. I'd much rather have Aragorn be protrayed as a Rambo than a Leo Decraprio.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:55 PM   #26
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ha.. but then how would the women love him..just kidding.
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 06:47 AM   #27
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

That's true. Women don't like big masculine specimens dripping with testostorone. Uh...<P>But yeah, a poster of Aragorn cutting off an Orc's head would be SO COOL! Although I'd prefer one of an Oliphaunt rampaging through the woods. That would be sweet.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:44 AM   #28
Fleance Stoneycroft
Pile O'Bones

Fleance Stoneycroft has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with all of you who would hate to see a love triangle! I think Peter Jackson will turn the whole story into a mess the longer the journey goes on... Did you know that there will be a scene where Grima tells Eowyn that he loves her? That is so ridiculous! It does not fit to Grima, and it makes him so...kind, if you know how I mean it. I am not looking forward to seeing this all.<BR>(especially because I like Grima Wormtongue)<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/the_dark_wizard_of_orthanc/sauron.html" TARGET=_blank>Horror and LotR</A>
Old 11-07-2002, 09:29 AM   #29
GreyIstar
Wight

Sting

THen don't watch it Fleance.

Old 11-07-2002, 10:09 AM   #30
Mlo
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Did you know that there will be a scene where Grima tells Eowyn that he loves her? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Ok, PJ can't possibly be so stupid. Must be a false rumour or something, it can't be true. Grima would never say so, he's to, evil... I get what you mean <B>Fleance</B>... but I'm still looking forward to see TTT<p>[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: Mlo ]
Old 11-07-2002, 11:31 AM   #31
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
The Eye

Are you guys nuts? Have you smoked some bad pipeweed? Plenty of evil people use the word "love." Actually, a decent number of them use the word "love" on a regular basis.<p>[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 11-07-2002, 11:45 AM   #32
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Shield

I know! Gosh, wake up, Gríma was a liar. He learned his art from Saruman, the smooth talker.<P>Case in point: Gandalf to Eomer in "The Houses of Healing"<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Think you that Wormtounge had poison only for Théoden's ears?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-07-2002, 11:56 AM   #33
Mlo
Haunting Spirit

Sting

FYI Lush, No, I havent been smoking pipeweed, but I have been eating large amounts of candy today, it's much better than pipeweed to help you calm down before a test. Also very good for the after-test stress, ok enough about test-stress(hihi, it rhymes, hihihi)...<P>I know that Grima was a liar! I'm not a complete idiot , or maybe I am... anyway, the thought of Grima just saying that he loves Eowyn is weird. But the fact that he actually did desire Eowyn makes the whole thing, hmm, weirder... ok, this isn't making any sense, it did in my head, but not on the computer... <BR>But, why, oh why, would he even say so, even if it was a lie?
Old 11-07-2002, 12:13 PM   #34
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Shield

Hmmmm, to put it delicately, Gríma would be just using the words as a way to get jiggy with Éowyn. (Which would make him the real idiot in all of this.) We all know Éowyn would never buy it, but maybe he was just using all the tactics he could think of. He knew she was a bit desperate for love (I mean, see how fast she fell for Aragorn who wasn't even trying) so...I mean, guys use that pick-up line all the time, and it works on weak women. He would just be forgetting that Éowyn isn't weak.<P>I know he doesn't actually say it in the book, but of course in the book we never witness a tête-à-tête between them. So if PJ wants to put one in (and I don't think it's a bad idea) he has to imagine up lines for them. Just like the scenes in which Saruman is talking to his Orcs.<P>Now, how he says it and in what context (if the rumor is true, that is) will determine how believable it is with his character.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:47 PM   #35
Mlo
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hmm... I think that it sounds like it's mostly Grima who is a little desperate...<p>[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: Mlo ]
Old 11-07-2002, 02:05 PM   #36
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I must admit it sounds a bit weird, that Wormtongue would say that... but hey, you all remember Arwen's line... "If youi want him,". Btw, I once read in an interview that to get the movie as interesting as possible, allthough there were only few women, they blew all of their roles as big as they could. (Maybe not Galadriel yet, but it'll come. ) I really don't mind about love triangles - first of all, if Aragorn did do anything similar to cheating on Arwen, it wouldn't be in the LotR-spirit, and as long at it doesn't ruin the rest of the movie, it can't hurt. The romance-loving (fe)males need entertainment as well.<BR>I'd better stop now, before I totally stop making sence. My Englsih isn't as good as I could wish.
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 03:24 PM   #37
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I could see some scence in Grima telling Eowyn he loves her. But not for love's sake. <P>Think of what Grima has been set to acomplish. Saruman wants Rohan. If Grima get's Eowyn to marry him (EWWWWW!) Saruman could take over Rohan without war. Theoden already thinks Eomer (who would be his heir right?) is a traitor because of Grima's lies. So when Theoden dies (probably help along by some poisons carfully put in place by Grima) Wormtonge would rule Rohan being married to Eowyn. Once he has Rohan he could let Saruman take over.<P>Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this make scence? This never happened in the books. And Tolkien never had Grima express any love to Eowyn but that doesn't mean that if PJ puts it in it's bad.<P>As for the love triangle thing. I'm not too worried about it. I don't think PJ would sink that low. And someone mentioned that Eowyn's love didn't seem like a big part of the story. Well what I think is that what we see in the LOTR movies is PJ's perspective on the books. This includes the fact that he might think Eowyn's love is an important part. He is a fan of the books too you know.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:48 PM   #38
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> This never happened in the books. And Tolkien never had Gríma express any love to Eowyn but that doesn't mean that if PJ puts it in it's bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Tolkien indicates that Gríma lusted after Éowyn. Consider this from "The King of the Golden Hall."<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Gandalf: "...How long is it since Saruman bought you? What was the promised price? When all the men were dead, you were to pick your share of the treasure, and take the woman you desire? Too long have you watched her under your eyelids and haunted her steps."<P>Éomer grasped his sword. "That I knew already," he muttered. "For that reason I would have slain him before, forgetting the law of the hall." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So why he of course did not love her in the true sense of the word, it was a word he might have used to describe it. This passage makes it sound like he was never as obvious as to say "I love you", but movies are generally more obvious than books.<P>And yet, we still don't know if this is really in the movie. It may very well be purely a rumor, and not worth all this talk. Oh well.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:53 AM   #39
Fleance Stoneycroft
Pile O'Bones

Fleance Stoneycroft has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At first thank you to Grey Istar for this "very" friendly reply. Next thing: Even if it was in the books that Grima looked at Eowyn in dark desire, I think it should not be in the films. It just does not fit!<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/the_dark_wizard_of_orthanc/sauron.html" TARGET=_blank>Horror and LotR</A>
Old 11-08-2002, 05:24 PM   #40
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

*Varda* and Lush: You both have points, we are blowing the poster thing out of proportion. But if we didn't critisize PJ for every single change he makes, where would be the fun in this section of the forum? We need something to complain about, possibily just to show off how much we know and how much we think PJ doesn't know. We're only human