The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2006, 08:48 AM   #801
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Exactly!

(Btw, "Live and learn!" is also in the LotR, said by Sam, quoting his father.)
Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #802
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
New one, than:

Quote:
'You won't get them here'

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #803
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
HI, I'm looking for this one, but it takes time. Can you give just one hint - prose or poetry?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #804
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Poetry

Old 06-21-2006, 07:05 AM   #805
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ah, it's as I thought then - in the Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "The Man in the Moon came down too soon". The cook is responding to the Man in the Moon's wish for "fire and gold and songs of old and red wine flowing free".
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #806
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Spot on The floor is yours.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #807
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Try this one:
Quote:
I am sorry for you
Old 06-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #808
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

That's Tidwald to Torhthelm:

I have cares of my own
in my heart, Totta, and my head's weary.
I am sorry for you, and for myself also.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #809
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I am happy for you, Guinevere! You got it, of course.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #810
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thanks, Esty!

Lead on!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #811
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Where could this be?
Quote:
It isn't a bad place, I'm told
Old 06-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #812
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Actually,
Quote:
Lead on!
was a quotation I just forgot the quotation marks...
Old 06-24-2006, 01:52 AM   #813
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Ah, I'm obviously confused! Too much football isn't good for the brain, I guess...

OK, I will search for your "Lead on!" quote.

edit: That sounds so military that I didn't have much trouble finding it. I paged through Beorhtnoth first, then Farmer Giles, and there it was: The knights said it to Farmer Giles upon discovering dragon-marks.

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 06-24-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:18 AM   #814
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
It isn't a bad place, I'm told
That'd be the Isle of Lost Dogs, as Mew described it to Rover.

Quote:
Lead on
Augustus Bonifacius etc's knights to Aegidius Agenobarbus etc as they (the knights) saw Chrysophylax's (or some other dragon's) footprints.

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 06-24-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #815
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Two in one, HI - what a bargain! I'd be so bold to say, since Guinevere isn't around to protest, and you guessed my quote, which came last, that you may continue with a new one. Should anyone have anything to say against it, speak now or forever hold your peace...
Old 06-24-2006, 08:01 AM   #816
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Thanks

Here it comes, than:

Quote:
'the town is near at hand'

Old 07-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #817
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
'You had best get a bed in an inn,' they said;
'the town is near at hand.'
Spoken by the crew of a fisherman's boat that had caught the Man in the Moon. (Poem #6 in "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil")
Old 07-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #818
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Verily Go on

Old 07-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #819
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a new quote:
Quote:
What a thing to do!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:57 AM   #820
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

One month later, and the thing has not yet been done - anyone want to try it?
Old 08-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #821
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

This is said by the people of Wootton Major when they learned that the Master Cook had left for good , without warning or farewell.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #822
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

What an answer to give! You're right, of course, Guinevere, and entitled to go ahead with the next one.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #823
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Quote:
Don't splutter and argue!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #824
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

OK, I waited three days to give others a fair chance; now here's the answer: It was said by the wizard Psamathos to Roverandom - and who could blame the dog for sputtering when trying to pronounce the wizard's name?!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #825
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

Correct, of course!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #826
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

An appropriate admonition for a slow thread:
Quote:
Hurry up, hurry up!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:08 AM   #827
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Obviously, nobody heeded this advice...

I suspected Garm to be the speaker, but was to lazy to check it in the book until today.
Actually, it's the Willow-Wren, telling Tom Bombadil what she'd say to Old Man Willow!
Old 08-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #828
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

How nice to see this thread alive after all! You found the right source of that quote, Guinevere, and may now proceed to baffle us with a new one.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:07 PM   #829
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

It will be difficult to baffle you !

Quote:
Not bad going, that!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:47 AM   #830
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sorry to have neglected this thread, but I haven't had the time to search for the above quote, and its location hasn't spontaneously occurred to me. Now I'll be away for several weeks; I do hope others will carry the torch and continue!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #831
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

*picks up torch and uses it to see while paging through her Roverandom book

This is said by the Man-in-the-Moon in praise of Mew the Seagull's speed in flying Roverandom to the moon:
Quote:
'Not bad going, that!' he said. 'I've been timing you ever since you passed over the edge - a thousand miles a minute, I should reckon. You are in a hurry this morning!'
Old 10-31-2006, 03:59 AM   #832
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up Correct!

Well done Esty!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:13 AM   #833
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quite appropriate:
Quote:
I've found it...
Old 01-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #834
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

About time someone found this!!

Do I guess rightly that this is said by Torhthelm when he at last finds Beorhtnoth's body:
"I've found it, Tída!
here's his sword lying!"

Last edited by Guinevere; 01-15-2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: a typo
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #835
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, you found it, Guinevere! All's well that ends well; I'd forgotten about this thread for quite awhile. I see that getting a year older has made you smarter!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:17 AM   #836
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

I found it only by accident ...

Apparently nobody else looks at this thread.
Quote:
Do you want to go on?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:40 AM   #837
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Of course I do! Oh, you mean the quote...

It's in Leaf by Niggle, spoken by the man who looked like a shepherd to Niggle and Parish.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #838
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

Correct, of course.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #839
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, with so few participants, there's no conflict about the fastest to get the answers:
Quote:
I had it first!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #840
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Myabe I can add to the speed?...

Quarrel about names between mer-dog Rover and Rover[andom]