The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up Eowyn's Cup and Alan Lee

I'm sorry if this has been brought up a billion times, but I did a search, and methinks it hasn't.

Or perhaps it's only been brought up about 999 million times, which is Ok with me.

I was watching the beginning of "RotK" this afternoon, and it dawned on me that the little scene where Eowyn hands Aragorn a cup to drink is modeled exactly after the ALAN Lee illustration, seen here

Of course, this is old news, considering that ALAN Lee participated in the making of the films and his work was widely used throughout, but you couldn't believe just how touched I was that they chose to do it this way, to highlight this moment in such a subtle fashion. That image alone made up the dissatisfaction with how truncated Eowyn's character was in the theatrical version of "RotK."

To me it was a kind of "Ok, we couldn't do everything, but we tried" sort of message, encapsulated in a particularly touching detail.

It also helped me realize the full scope of Eowyn's character in the films, how she is at once understated (due to lack of space) and yet finely drawn and performed.

Anyone else notice this? Any more ALAN Lee-like character interactions you might have noticed?

**edit**
Danke, Easty. Bis gleich!

Last edited by Lush; 07-06-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Lush is offline   Reply With Quote