User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2004, 05:14 PM   #681
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Location...

May I ask which direction Maegeleb and Roy are headed? I see we are still in the swamp for the time being, but where are they headed? Is it to the Southwest?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #682
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe As to location...

Tharonwe and Raefindan are headed south. Tharonwe knows where Nimrodel is, and that's where he's going. The only way to get there is to go by Minas Tirith. So for the party that started in the Seven Star Inn (or whatever it's called), it'll seem like a trip in reverse!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:36 PM   #683
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I guess I should say what's going on with Aeron.

He doesn't know where he's going, so that means I don't know either.

Think twig in a rapid river. He'll go with whoever will take him -- as long as it's not Ravion or Raefindan. Dang...they have got to make up....

Old 11-16-2004, 07:21 AM   #684
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

thanks

Thanks, lmp.

With that my SAVE is filled, and I have a reliable computer until mine is fixed. (Thank you, Lord.)
Old 11-19-2004, 07:00 PM   #685
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien an idea...

I have an idea for getting us out of our writing funk.....

The Entwash must have a "river daughter", and she could live in a quiet little college just off a ways from the path entrance to the swamp where the main party is headed. The party could really stand some healing, some tlc, and some lifted spirits. I was thinking that she is like Goldberry, but different for being associated with the swamp and the Entwash, with its beginnings in Fangorn. I had thought of two names: Daylily, and Marigold.

Is this okay with people? Maybe she can even heal Mellonin's face so there will be no scar; not to mention, healing some much beleaguered spirits.... and she has no mate, so who knows what might not happen between a single Elf and a river daughter?......
Old 11-19-2004, 07:49 PM   #686
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
See?

Can't beat this team with a stick.

A time of healing sounds good to me.

How'd you know Goldberry is my new favorite LOTR minor? Melian for Sil.

I'll leave the romance bit up to Alak. How about some Impartation for Bella?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:26 PM   #687
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Thumbs up

I think this is definitely an idea I could be excited about. And romance? Hmm...*rubs chin* we shall see how Erebemlin would react to such a woman.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:24 PM   #688
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
The Entwash must have a "river daughter", and she could live in a quiet little college just off a ways from the path
Okay. Pleading ignorance: Whatsa Middle-Earth "college"? Somehow a professorized institution of higher learning seems out of place in an Entwash Swamp. "Thick as the college of the bees in May"?

I thought The River Daughter would live alone.... no?
Old 11-20-2004, 09:14 AM   #689
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420! dying brain cells....

Quote:
Whatsa Middle-Earth "college"?
Did I write that? Good grief! Obviously (at least to me) I meant "cottage". I can only attribute this new and latest spelling mishap to dying brain cells. Honest, I used to be top-notch at spelling, never even mixing up to, too, and two, nor there, their, and they're; I'm in really deep you know what if I'm mixing cottage and college! Ack. Put me in diaper, pajamas, bathrobe, and slippers, for I'm goin' downhill fast!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:35 AM   #690
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Cottage? Hmmm. No, I don't think it was a speling misteak. Too far off. Had to be a freudian sleep.

Perhaps you were thinking she would be well acquainted with the local college of fish.

Or maybe she was the Dean of Riverology at Ent U... quite bored since the stream of Entings dried up. Just imagine how delighted she'll be to see us coming!
Old 11-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #691
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien About Marigold

I'm hoping the delight will be mutual. Freudian sleep? Owtch!

Okay, just to give you all an idea of what I'm thinking for Marigold. This is not set in stone, just mud (it is a swamp after all).

Marigold is riverdaughter of the Entwash. Since Goldberry's parentage is no clearer than that, Marigold's need not be either. Just what a riverdaughter is, is really left to the imagination. I suppose one could say that it's the spirit of the river... but not really, since she is called its daughter rather than its fėa.

Anyway, Marigold does partake of the authority of Tom Bombadil, the way I'm writing her, such that she is Lady of her realm, able to command both living and dead as to her will. Other than that, she is much like Goldberry.... except that she is mostly associated with the swamps of the Entwash. Perhaps the Entwash that travels through the plains of Rohan has a different river daughter (?)

At any road, I see the Elves being rather bemused and taken with her, for she is a frank personification of a part of Middle Earth. She does not fit into their osanwe any more than Tom fit into the dynamics of the Ring. So I'm thinking that her mind is closed to them, and vice versa. Yet she likes Elves because they hold life dear, even swamp life.

Right now she wears a crone persona - just thought I'd like to do that - but she is not limited to that. She is older than most Elves, as I've indicated, calling Tharonwe a stripling!

Finally, I broke off where I did in order to let those of you who wish, to have whatever kinds of reactions you would like to her. Have fun!

Old 11-21-2004, 02:32 PM   #692
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Alak, that was a gorgeous post! You did better than I would have with the setting of Marigold's abode.

I'm saving for right after Imadris, in which I plan to have Marigold revealed as an ageless woman, able to appear as crone, young, or what have you.

I also plan to have her show compassion to Aeron for Gwyllion, and for her to offer her home as Gwyllion's final place of rest.

I've been thinking that Marigold might "explain" herself as daughter of Ulmo and Entwash.

If any of you have any other ideas as to what Marigold could and/or should be like, please speak up.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:50 AM   #693
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Quote:
Alak, that was a gorgeous post!
Thank you very much, lmp.

I am leaving in a few minutes to go home for Thanksgiving, so I will not be able to post until Friday or Saturday. I do hope the travelers will still be with Marigold, because I would like find out how Erebemlin feels about her.

Have a nice holiday!

Alak

Last edited by alaklondewen; 11-24-2004 at 11:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-24-2004, 11:58 AM   #694
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

lmp, a comment. The use of the word 'crone' has been bugging me. Could we not have Marigold using that word directly? And could we maybe even remove the word completely? To me it conjures up dusty literary analysis and jungian archetypes rather than the shimmering of faerie. Can she talk about "wearing this form" or "Taking this shape" instead? Something less... well, you know. Analytical. What's the word? Anthropological?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:35 PM   #695
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Minor quibble: archetypes were mythic before they were Jungian. Isn't fantasy the appropriate abode for archetypes? But I'll remove the word.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:15 PM   #696
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

You're the best. Thanks. And thanks for putting up with my jungian overlay of mythological genres. Or something like that.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:37 PM   #697
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Hmm.... I had not meant to suggest that Mellonin was ignoring Mellondu, but it makes for an interesting conflict to be explored.

Immy, I should have said something about this. I had hoped you would pick up on a chance for Aeron to experience the wonder of the natural kind of Art that is Tolkien's "magic" in Middle Earth, if one could call it that. You instead chose for Aeron to be consumed by his grief - which is probably quite true to character. Maybe that sense of wonder could come before he takes his leave from Marigold? Of course, you don't have to pick up on that if you don't want to. My fault for not explaining what I was trying to do.

I'll be away from home over the holiday, and will only be able to read what others write, having thoroughly misplaced my password. I suppose I can do without for about four days. When I come back, I'll pick up Raefindan again.... it would be about time, no? Carry on!
Old 11-25-2004, 12:12 AM   #698
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Quote:
I had hoped you would pick up on a chance for Aeron to experience the wonder of the natural kind of Art that is Tolkien's "magic" in Middle Earth, if one could call it that. You instead chose for Aeron to be consumed by his grief - which is probably quite true to character.
Well...a few things. *tries to think how to word this* Bluntly put, Aeron doesn't see any magic...he doesn't see forgiveness (yes, it is rather pig headed of him)...and I myself, am not entirely sure what you are thinking of...forgive me.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:40 PM   #699
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Forgiven! Of course! And unnecessary. Thanks for giving me a better understanding of Aeron. Now I feel sorry for him!

As for what I mean, I think the best way for you to grasp that would be to read the section of LotR in which Goldberry plays a part.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-29-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:49 AM   #700
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Palantir-Green

A grim question: How long will Gwyllion 'snooze' by the warm, cozy hearth? She's been dead an entire day.

Even a deer...

Last edited by mark12_30; 11-30-2004 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:05 PM   #701
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Marigold has "quickened" the body of Gwylllion, as it were. It will not decompose, but remain whole. How long? A long, long, long time. If Aeron agrees, the burial will be in the morning. Sound good?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:22 PM   #702
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Sorry I've been absent....I have been rather sick...and inspiration is a bit on the low side. Lousy excuse and my apologies for that as well...

Old 12-03-2004, 09:56 PM   #703
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Awful quiet.

Maybe I'll do a single post for all of my characters-- like this--

Celegoer: "Damp around here."
Nethwador: "Zzzzzz."
Echo: "Damp around here."
Mellondu: "Zzzzzz."
Amroth: "Dark in here."
Nimrodel: "Dusty out here."
Mellonin: "Zzzzzz."

Meanwhile: Alak? Helloooooo....?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:20 AM   #704
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

So sorry for delay. This is the end of the semester and I have four papers due in the next two weeks.

lmp, I cut kind of short, because I'm not sure how Marigold will respond to Erebemlin. I just wasn't comfortable writing her reaction. I will certainly continue to keep up the scene even if my posts are somewhat short, so don't write me out just yet.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:20 PM   #705
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Alak, I hope I've done you justice. Let me know if not.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:55 PM   #706
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Ready or not, Mellonin!

Helen, you can steer it however you want--I didn't fail to notice the twist you brought into your last post, so you can either direct the conversation to Ravion's confession, or to the twist. Whichever you think would be better for where we are now.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:39 AM   #707
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

We can leave the twist dangling in the air for the moment. But shall we torment Ravion a bit more? Mellonin is so good at changing the subject, and perhaps Ravion won't be able to voice his deeper thoughts after all. Maybe he tries valiantly to bring it back around and he's just on the verge, when Raefindan gets mentioned?

But (then again) the longer that's delayed, the higher Mellonin can fly and farther she can fall.

Am I overly indulgent with Melodrama...? Be honest.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:19 PM   #708
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Silmaril Mellonin's facial wound

Now that it is morning in Marigold's cottage, I would like for Ravion to suddenly notice that Mellonin's ragged wound from brow to lip, has been replace by new, pink skin, soft as a newborn baby's, and that is the only way it can be differentiated from the rest of her face. Mellonin will still feel it to be quite tender to the touch - that is, sensitive - but that will fade to normal in a day or so also.

It was not my intention for Marigold to have this healing capacity, but it just worked out that way. Go figure....
Old 12-07-2004, 01:42 PM   #709
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Food for thought

Morning already? I had lost track. All right.

Speaking of losing track: Although I am uncertain how the team will drive southward, when we finish our stay at Marigold's hut, we will head south. I am thinking of procuring horses for all and sundry. Marigold would not help with that, I think, but the elves might be successful in striking some deal as they go south through Gondor. Once everyone is mounted, south we go.

I'm hoping to finish the game by Winter's end (sometime around March 21, or 25 if that seems more fitting.) I need to sit down one of these days (before or shortly after we leave Marigold's place) and once again figure out the dates and times of travel; thirty to fifty miles a day, from Entwash to Edhellond. I had hoped to have some other forays along the way, but at our current rate it would extend the game another couple of years. So for wahtever reason, the path to Edhellond will be a lot straighter than I had originally planned; maybe because Tharonwe is leading them there (although he is on foot, unless he and Raefindan steal a pair of horses. Hah! They could steal that Merchant's black stallion...)

How precisely to work in the Stone of Erech, I still have to decide.

In the meantime: we are at Marigold's house.
How long will we be there?
What are the things that we want to happen while we are there?
How will we know that it is time to leave?

Other thoughts/ ideas/ concerns/ questions?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:53 PM   #710
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

The burial must take place first. Aeron must decide if he stays or goes. Marigold will give them traveling food and fit them with better gear as needed; not weapons, but wholesome kinds of things. Be creative with that. I should expect the group can leave any time this new day, or first thing in the morning the following, whatever we prefer to do.

At some point Tharonwe is going to get captured by the main group, and Raefindan will re-incorporate with them either smoothly or not, depending on whatever factors crop up. So stealing a mount will not happen, I'm thinking. Tharonwe is not trying to avoid capture; he sees ways in which being amongst his enemis could be quite useful.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:03 PM   #711
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

I see my error, Helen. I hadn't expected Mellonin to wake up until the next morning. Since she woke up, I assumed it was morning. You didn't see it that way, did you?

I can fix my posts to make it still night time, if that would work better. I think it woul make for a lot of interesting dream sequences, - - - Marigold-influenced dream sequences. We ought to make something of that. Then the group can leave the next day after the burial. How's that?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:41 PM   #712
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

OK! Sounds good.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:37 PM   #713
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Immy, I hope I have not abused your characters. I felt like things needed a little jump start. If you want anything changed (or deleted), just let me know and I'll do it.

Let's have some Goldberry type dreams, everybody. Those of you who have connected up to the Nimrodel stuff, please do a dream sequence like that.

I can imagine that Elves have wakeful dreams, Alak. How about giving it a try? Maybe I'll post something up as an example, and you can let me know what you think (such as "man, LMP sure has some nerve!).

Helen has been ill and finally knows why (something like lyme disease), and that explains why she's been having trouble helping move Tapestry along.

Anyway, Helen and I are thinking that after the dream sequences, I'll have Marigold to a Goldberry type washing day, then there will be the burial, then Aeron will decided whether he stays with Marigold or continues with the group, and then the group will take off after Tharonwe and Raefindan.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #714
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

My save is at last filled in.

lmp, I love the old lady in the snow. Nice touch. Very nice touch.

And now my pillow calls.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:00 AM   #715
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Amroth's dream

Hey lmp,

It seems to me that Amroth's dream (just posted) belongs before breakfast... But it needs the snow. And Ędegard's introduction is so perfect. But I still think the dream needs to be before breakfast. (Although after the snowy gravediggging would be a nice touch, if Mellondu was still asleep.) Any ideas? Could Ędegard maybe come back in, see that many still sleep, and then the dream, and then breakfast...?

--help
Old 12-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #716
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

I'll cut out the last bit about breakfast and announcement of the burial. I was trying to push things ahead to spark some interest of the others in the moving plot, but that is no longer necessary.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:25 PM   #717
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Thanks.

Ędegard could wake Mellondu; he would appreciate it. He's not thrilled about drowning yet again. THen he and Mellonin can commiserate about bad dreams, and realise that Raefindan's been loitering outside an awfully long time.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:07 PM   #718
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sometimes I wish Mellonin would level out. Thank God for Nethwador. He reminds me of Gamba... a lot.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:04 PM   #719
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
I've finally posted! This weekend was crazy (running tech--both matinee and evening performances all weekend), and I had no internet time. Let me know if there was anything else that needed to be addressed in my post that I didn't get to.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #720
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Silmaril

I'm away from home and BD without a password memorized - through the weekend. Merry Christmas to all!