The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #481
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I have noticed with interest the thread that you started Esty, but don't have the book and wouldn't be able to talk intelligently about it. Actually both that particular tome and 'Letters' have been high on my 'to get' list for too long! I need to blow the dust off my change purse!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:12 AM   #482
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh I have wanted Letter for ages .. thought it was out of print but tried ebay..think it is on Amazon though so really must...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:37 AM   #483
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

...And it would be so good to find them in hardback, at a reasonable price of course....

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 08-11-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:15 AM   #484
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I don't think I've ever seen Letters in hardback.

Anyone care for a visit to the ... er... was it seventies? A bit immodest of me, but I'm quite fond of it.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #485
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen Letters in hardback.
I have ordered a used copy, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival! The hardback version of J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator is quite a bit more, so it will be a bit longer before that will find a place on the bookshelf. I haven't the heart to buy it in paperback. It's hard enough watching LoTR fall to pieces!

So sorry, that I cannot see what this is about the seventies, Helen. You've got my attention, but my curiosity will have to wait until I am home!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:55 PM   #486
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Artist and Illustrator is a lovely book. I was confusing that thought with "Letters" and trying to remember a hardbound "Letters"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle
So sorry, that I cannot see what this is about the seventies, Helen. You've got my attention, but my curiosity will have to wait until I am home!
Unrelated-- I was just vexed that the other thread sank so fast. And the timeframe-- Eh, Van Morrison sang Brown Eyed Girl in the sixties. Ooops. My mistake.

Last edited by mark12_30; 08-17-2005 at 07:58 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #487
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Just as a post script to my visit to the environs of Tolkiens home in Branksome... it has views over to the Isle of Wight ( the diamond shaped island of the central south coast of England) which is nice and appropriate. There is a pub called the Wight mouse which creates quite interesting ideas!!!!

Byt he way I saw that the Tolkien's Oxford home is for sale again having been renovated - at about twice the price.......

Old 08-18-2005, 01:43 PM   #488
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Mithalwen, can you provide more detail about this other home in Branksome?

Don't you just hate real estate developers? Now, there's another addition to Mordor!
Old 08-18-2005, 01:48 PM   #489
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh yes.. I spend my life writing to the council......

The Branksome house is the "Bournemouth" one (though technically it is in Poole). It could not be more unremarkable. A bungalow (IE all on one story), if it was not new built when they bought it, I doubt it was very old. Quite big with an built on garage, stone clad, greyish brick. Not really a front garden - more paved parking with a few beds. Just a fab location....

Old 08-18-2005, 01:54 PM   #490
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

http://www.thisisdorset.net/dorset/a...TURES12ZM.html

Old 08-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #491
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Silmaril

Last week was the South County Fair. I scored six elvish dresses. Woot! At fairground prices, too.

You know, with Rae's lovely and comfortable cloak, I no longer ***need*** to switch to hobbit breeches in the fall. I may. Or I could alternate, and dress as an elf early in the week, and a hobbit at the end of the week.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:31 AM   #492
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring The Downs are back!

Well, thank goodness I can get back to the 'Downs! I've been trying since yesterday evening, but the site was down. I feared the forces of Mordor had invaded the internet.

Three cheers to the BW for getting the site back up!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #493
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Rather than a "walk to RIvendell" I seem to be embarking on a "Row down the Anduin." I occasionally add in some bike-miles (cough, cough-- er, I'm riding a horse called "Bike"-- from Dunland; they talk funny down there!)

I s'pose I could start at Dol Amroth and go North...

Either way, Autumn will be here before long; the leaves will turn. What will you do? Pull a walking stick out of the closet? Clean off your Horse Named Bike?

I am of course hoping for a trip to Siberia to fetch my Snowhobbits. May the trip be in early autumn, and not the dead of winter....
Old 09-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #494
Ellewen
Animated Skeleton

Location: Somewhere in the woods looking for a place to recharge my laptop's battery.
Ellewen has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I justs started the walk to Rivendell and biked (rode) the first twelve miles out-running a ringwraith...
Ellewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:57 PM   #495
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Welcome to the thread Ellewen!
Old 03-31-2006, 03:37 PM   #496
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Question Oh my...

This thread hasn't been posted in since last year???

Shoo, you nasty neekerbreekers !!!

*pulls Sting off the wall and cuts down cobwebs...*

How are all of you elder folk ?
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #497
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Still puttering along!
Old 03-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #498
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Boots

Good to hear it, Miss Hilde!

I am "puttering" myself, though I find my bones doing their impression of Rice Krispies of late....

*Snap ! Crackle! Pop!*
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 03-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #499
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

This old geezer is still here.

It's been rainy and cold here in the Pacific Northwest - so the ibuprofen bottle has seen its numbers decline to ease the effects of the weather on well-used joints.

Hilde - did you ever get the hardback of 'Artist and Illustrator'? Gorgeous book - I do have the paperback.

My next purchase is going to be a hardback copy of Fonstad's 'Atlas of Middle-earth'. My hubby would laugh at this want of mine. I'm notoriously bad at reading maps on our driving vacations. And am always 'lost'.

I can, however, pinpoint the location of just about any place or landform in Middle-earth - thanks to RP'ing and my well worn paperback copy of Fonstad's book.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:19 PM   #500
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Hullo, Samwise! Hi Pio, & Hilde!

I'm still lurking. Anybody hiking? Biking? Singing?

Hmmm, maybe I should name my mountain bike Shadowfax. Or Arod. Except it's black.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:06 PM   #501
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Boots

Pio! Mark 12_30! Hello to the both of you! I have been so busy, it seems, me ol' head has been spinnin. ;p Hm. Well, I've been singing...my bike is my transportation...hm...

sigh...seems like just yesterday I came of age. Where does the time go !?!?!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:42 PM   #502
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm still around, and still striding through Middle-earth. I haven't, however, bothered to figure out where I am there; since there are no mileage charts for the number of miles I've accumulated over the past three years, I just let myself meander.

I'm planning a big real life journey, and am now trying to decide whether the tours that are called "for the young and young at heart" are something I can still tackle. So I'm not quite ready to settle down in my rocking chair yet!

I could contribute a few quilts to decorate the clubhouse here - as my location currently says, I'm spending much of my time "in stitches, sew it seams"... (And no, I will not beg pardon for those puns - I like them!)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:19 PM   #503
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
Anybody hiking? Biking? Singing?
I took a hike out to the coast with my brother a couple weeks ago. it was a good hike despite iot being cold in land. It was actually quite springlike on the ocean. I'll have to post the pix.

How is everyone? I've not been in the Barrows in awhile.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #504
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

We moved to BST a week ago and the unusual chill of the end of March has given way to traditional April weather - sunshine and showers but enough extra light to mean a lot of the week-end has been devoted to the garden. I have given the lawns a first rough cut with the hover mower and tidied the hedges. Having worked such long hours last summer I am determined to do more than keep on top of the basics this year. I went to the nursery yesterday for and edging tool and ont he return journey my gar was doing the "mobile greenhouse thing".

It was great to feel that Spring is hear even though you don't fully appreciate the size of the garden till you have walked round it with a mower then a rake. One of my pond-fish doesn't seem to clever so I have just bought it a tonic... I am ridiculously attached to my fish ....

Old 04-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #505
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Greetings Samwise, Helen, Pio, Esty, Mithalwen and Snowdog!

Ah, in wandering off for a day, and see I missed a gathering of minds here! No, I was not singing down a lonely trail yesterday, or gardening, but I was surrounded by a passel elves and hobbits in the form of a choir competition. And it was lovely voices and lovely songs all around. The day was capped off by watching my niece perform in West-side Story.

Now today I’m back to my puttering. In a hurry to get the indoor work done so I can enjoy the outdoor work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
Hilde - did you ever get the hardback of 'Artist and Illustrator'? Gorgeous book - I do have the paperback.
Oh yes, the book came, and also a copy of 'Letters'. Unfortunately, my ‘hardback’ arrived as a soft back though, some sort of confusion with the description on Amazon. But still, it is wonderful! I can’t get over how many different styles and things Tolkien was good at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
My next purchase is going to be a hardback copy of Fonstad's 'Atlas of Middle-earth'. My hubby would laugh at this want of mine. I'm notoriously bad at reading maps on our driving vacations. And am always 'lost'.

I can, however, pinpoint the location of just about any place or landform in Middle-earth - thanks to RP'ing and my well worn paperback copy of Fonstad's book.
Too funny! Sounds like you should either start using 7th Age settings for your RPGs Pio, or else find a way to start vacationing in M-E. I’d opt for the latter!

Well, I had better skedaddle. Save space a on the glider for me. I take it these meetings will be held out on the veranda more often these days, with the gardens and fishponds and Esty’s quilts to liven things up.

EDIT: Oh heavens, I've gone and lost my mind again! It's Letters in paperback and Illustrations in hardback!

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 04-02-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #506
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would like to get a hardback Atlass of Middle Earth, but I have all these post-it tags and a 3 x 5 card with the various map scales marked out on it that I would be lost in a new book.

And as far as spring goes, it snowed and rained all day Saturday... Brrrr....
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #507
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Ah, Miss Hilde, a choir...

I'll bet it sounded lovely, 'specially with all those Hobbits and Elves...was it just Westron, or Elvish...High Elvish or common? It all sounds lovely to these old Hobbit ears, but just wonderin'
Old 04-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #508
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

I’m thinking they were mostly Westron, Samwise. Lovely classical folk songs they were, but more of the type you would hear in the streets of Minas Tirith than on an evening at the Golden Perch. Very well done. A very few were elvish of some sort, I would guess Sindarin. But then, begging your pardon, I’m no scholar to tell you aright! And again a couple as would fit the Shire just fine.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #509
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
We moved to BST a week ago and the unusual chill of the end of March has given way to traditional April weather - sunshine and showers but enough extra light to mean a lot of the week-end has been devoted to the garden. I have given the lawns a first rough cut with the hover mower and tidied the hedges. Having worked such long hours last summer I am determined to do more than keep on top of the basics this year. I went to the nursery yesterday for and edging tool and ont he return journey my gar was doing the "mobile greenhouse thing".

It was great to feel that Spring is hear even though you don't fully appreciate the size of the garden till you have walked round it with a mower then a rake. One of my pond-fish doesn't seem to clever so I have just bought it a tonic... I am ridiculously attached to my fish ....
It's not been fit to do any gardening here since about last October! Still, this did not stop me dodging hail and sleet today to go and tackle some work, mainly consisting of jet washing containers to get rid of algae, and pruning the tree-like herbs (I am now going to see if I can actually train some of the lavender to grow like a tree). Picked up the gargoyles and Bruce Forsyth (AKA The Thinker ) from where they had landed in the wind. No signs of frogs or toads yet, and there are already snails about - the curse of every summer for me. I found some Violas which have lasted the winter in little pots on the walls, even though they should have died last summer according to the label, so I didn't have the heart to throw them out! But my many geraniums have bit the dust. I eventually had to stash the new Violas and Aubreita (which I've been after having for years, and nowhere had anyuntil this year!) in the growhouse and retreat back indoors.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #510
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Violas! I’ve always wanted to plant some of those, but haven’t settled on where. Our daffodils and grape hyacinth are out, and the tulips are coming along soon.

Had an inch or so of snow over the last week, so I’m debating on whether to plant peas this weekend. I'm afraid I don’t know much about them, but the package says they can be planted as soon as the ground can be worked. If that is the case I’m running a bit late, but do have the cherry tomatoes started.(Getting ready for them to be put in hanging baskets with flowers this year!)
Old 04-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #511
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I always plant them in small terracotta pots (which I paint blue or white, or combinations of, with stripes or polka dots!) and then group them together on my picnic bench (also blue) so I can enjoy the scent when I'm sitting outside. Last year they were lilac and yellow and this year they are purple and cream, but I might have the fortune to have last year's grow again this year now!

The seasons are all wrong this year. My indoor hyacinths were out at Christmas, I have tulips coming up and the honeysuckle is growing like mad, but none of the trees have shown buds yet, and everything else is barely alive! It's frustrating because I don't know if my purple wallflowers are alive or dead, and they already have fully flowering ones in the garden centre - so I suspect mine are dead.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #512
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

I hope that they are just slow and not dead! As for the trees, ours are just begining to bud now, which is a few weeks after the tulip leaves first began coming up. And the peepers started their songs a bit before that.

It was a strange winter, though, and still we are having spells much warmer than should be at thes time of year.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #513
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Still, this did not stop me dodging hail and sleet today to go and tackle some work ...
We had a hailstorm down in t'south too today. And it started just as I had managed (on the third attempt) to get a bonfire going.

Still, we managed to keep it going and get through the piles of culled foliage that had been collecting. I am quite proud of myself. My first bonfire as an adult.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #514
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
We had a hailstorm down in t'south too today. And it started just as I had managed (on the third attempt) to get a bonfire going.

Still, we managed to keep it going and get through the piles of culled foliage that had been collecting. I am quite proud of myself. My first bonfire as an adult.
Having raked up a lot of dead stuff I was tempted to burn it in the incinerator but I decided it was too antisocial and incompatible with the laundry hanging on the outside line. It also isn't very eco friendly as well as narking the neighbours. So I indulge my pyromania only on still grey days. Our council does run a collection service to collect green waste and compost it for a small fee so I am hoping that will reduce the need for burning / trips to the tip but I there is no finer way to cook a spud than in the ash of a good bonnie

Old 04-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #515
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Having raked up a lot of dead stuff I was tempted to burn it in the incinerator but I decided it was too antisocial and incompatible with the laundry hanging on the outside line.
Well, our neighbours aren't averse to the occasional bonfire themselves, so I wasn't too worried. Although the Saucepan Boy (aged 5) did say that he was embarassed by all the smoke.

As for the ecological consequences, I am not too worried about the occasional bonfire, compared to all the stuff being put out into the atmosphere by heavy industry. When I visited Beijing last year, the permanent smog hanging over the city was alarming. It occured to me that, if rapidly industrialising and incredibly populous countries like China can't be persuaded into environmentally friendly means of production, we are all stuffed anyway.

Anyway, we do our bit. We recycle.

I have wonderful memories of family bonfires as a child, so I was rather looking forward to it. I never realised that they were such hard work to start and maintain ...

Still, it's still smoking even now after some heavy rain.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #516
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

It does depend on how recently the foliage was culled. If you let it dry it won't smoke so badly. The stuff I was tempted to burn was cut in the autumn. and since it won't compost or chip I feel more justified in burning it. The incinerator makes life easier but it less fun than a traditional fire but it is a better option since increased planting means I no longer have a suitable bonfire glade. The heat is more intense though so I was quite glad of my workplace fire training when I seemed ready to create the towering inferno in microcosm.

And there is no point in blaming China when the states won't get its act together - rather do as I say not as I do.....

Old 04-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #517
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
And there is no point in blaming China when the states won't get its act together - rather do as I say not as I do.....
I rather agree. But still, the potential for such a populous and rapidly industrialising country to add fuel to the fire, so to speak, is scary ...
Old 04-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #518
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Ah, Miss Hilde, I'm sure it sounded lovely, regardless of the dialect anyhow. I don't hear too too much bad singin' (though I admit to listenin' to those awful tryouts on American Idol....). I sure couldn't have told which was which either.

Interestin'. I didn't know there was a Saucepan boy. 5...ah, that's the age I work with (aside from the 4 and 3 year olds). As for children related to me, there's a most adorable 7 month old hobbit/man cross sleepin' on the living room floor at the moment. Better go see if he's still sleepin'....

This would be my nephew, Christopher James, the most adorable little person to ever be learnin' to sit up....

-----------> <-----------Proud auntie
Old 04-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #519
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hullo to Christopher James and his proud auntie too!

Personally, I miss the smell of burning leaves very much, and am quite lucky to have a neighbor who doesn't mind burning our dead wood as long as we haul it over to his place. I think if we had I bonfire, we'd most likely burn the house down. Too many trees and too little experience!

As for industrialization and emissions, it is very frustrating not to have more influence in that regard. Makes one want to look into either the forging or destorying of rings. They got to be out there to pull off that kind of magic.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #520
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thank you, Miss Hilde! Christopher would like to say hi, too!
Hewwo !
/