The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2002, 08:41 PM   #1
Ainayuviel

White-Hand Where On The Middle Earth did frodo go at the end of the book?

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] i
got some questions about the book..i just finished the book..
and thought i read it like 3 time..i still don't understand few stuff and i search for explanation..to experts!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

well
1:why does the elves thnik it the *end* of their Time at the end of Middle Earth??
2:where is the Worl id Frodo go at the End of the book?
3 [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]id Gimli and Legolas go to Where Frdo went ?
4:Where can we leran more about the LOTR exept the Appencies..some people know more than appendice and i want to know in what book the STUFFS are in
5:Frodo went Where??and is it like another land?or JUST for adventre??
6:thanx for answering~~BeyBye
Old 01-27-2002, 10:02 PM   #2
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1: The time of the elves is fading because the power of the 3 rings were destroyed with the destruction of the one ring. The 3 rings slowed the passage of time (Vilya and Nenya did at least, Narya was said to be able to enflame the hearts of others to do great deeds) enabling the masters of the Rings (Galadriel and Elrond) to create their own private paradise, preserving the elven culture from the flow of time. The nature of Middle Earth is such that eventually everything must fade, (Ex: the span of the lives of men shortens) Without the 3 Elven Rings the Elves are doomed to fade in Middle Earth so they must return to the west.

2: Frodo goes beyond the great Sea into the west of Middle Earth, also called Valinor. Valinor is where the masters of Middle Earth dwell. Elves are able to take the straight path to go there, the Valar gave Frodo permission to come. Presumably Frodo is healed of his wounds in Valinor.

3: Legolas being an elf is able to sail into the west to join Frodo. Gimli goes with Legolas Galadriel obtained the permission from the Valar for this act.

4: You can learn more about Middle Earth from The Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tails
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 12:24 AM   #3
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Thumbs up

Wowie! Thank you Thingol!! I had very similar questions on my mind. One of the bigger questions that I had was about Grey Havens. Some say that Grey Havens has a different type of air thus causing the increased life span of the inhabitant. Is there some place where that is written?
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 10:57 AM   #4
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

There are a few points that seem to be speculation, Thingol.

Frodo, Sam, and Bilbo might not have gone all the way to Valinor, but may hav just gone to Tol Eressea, I guess Valinor is close enough. And Gimli did not necessarily go to Valinor with Legolas. In the appendix of LotR it states:
Quote:
We have heard tell that Legolas took Gimli Glóin's son with him because of their great friendship, greater than any that has been between Elf and Dwarf. If this is true, then it is strange indeed: that a Dwarf should be willing to leave Middle-earth for any love, or that the Eldar should receive him, or that the Lords of the West should permit it. But it is said that Gimli went also out of desire to see again the beauty of Galadriel; and it may be that she, being mighty among the Eldar, obtained this grace for him. More cannot be said of this matter.
I don't think this is conclusive evidence that Gimli left ME for Valinor, it sounds more like a 'myth' than anything else
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 02:37 PM   #5
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have never read anywhere about the Haven's having a different type of air that increased anyone's life span. Elves under the rule of Cirdan (who originally had the Narya, but gave it Gandalf when he arrived in Middle Earth) dwell there and elves are imortal. As for Gimli I guess the quote from the appendix of The Return of the King is not conclusive evidence, but I've always liked the thought of Gimli joining Legolas and meeting Galadriel again, and I feel that it is consistent with the spirit of Tolkien's work. Durelen is also probably correct about Frodo only going to Tol Eressea, (an island slightly east of Valinor) that is where the elves seem to sail to. I have a question though, were elves allowed to sail back and forth from Tol Eressea whenever they chose? The great harbors and ships of the Teleri at Alqualonde seem to indicate that elves from Valinor were allowed to do some sailing, but were the elves at Tol Eressea allowed to do the same? By the way, I love your signature Durelen.

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 02:55 PM   #6
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien

Well, with all those Elves arriving from Middle Earth, they would certainly have enough ships.....

In the Sil. it is said that the Exiles dwelt in Tol Eressea "from whence they might come even to Valinor" (quote from memory), so I would suppose they can tool about in their ships as they saw fit, with one exception. The Straight Road is one way. In Letters, JRRT said that after the Straight Road was created a ship cannot pass from the West back to Middle Earth. The Istari, being Maiar, were able to come to Middle Earth but Elves cannot.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:18 PM   #7
Atariel
Haunting Spirit

Atariel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Wouldn't it be sooooo cool if someone could create a replica of Valimar? that's what i'm going to try to do when i've grown up, and have money. and i've already started designing the tree-house in a caras galadhon style that my children are going to have. it's really, really cool.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:18 PM   #8
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cheak out here, I had the same questions 9 mounths ago. You got a far better answer than I did. Read the Sil!
Old 11-25-2002, 03:20 PM   #9
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Three words:
The Silmarillion rocks!!!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]