User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2002, 08:03 PM   #41
Gimli the Dwarf
Pile O'Bones

Gimli the Dwarf has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Bailen decided to make his own plan on thengs. He asks, "Doese anyone have a map of the fields of Bree?"
A map was provided and he looked at it there were definatly not enough people to gaurd every field. The only way to protect the fields was to have the protection on the farthest fields from Bree.
Bailen says, "We do have enough to protect the farthest fields from Bree neerest to where the Wargs are thought to be. What we need to do is get people who are skilled archers and place them in the trees hidden and when the wargs approuch they would shot at them and sound an alarm. Then good swordsmen and axemen would come and with help from the archers fight the Wargs."
Old 12-13-2002, 03:57 AM   #42
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Fin wandered over to the huddled group and listened to all of their plans, before placing his mug firmly down on the table. All talk stopped and they turned to look at him.

"All of these plans sound good," he began, smiling, "but in the end, it is up to our leader. What will the final plan be Gaddy?"
Fin sat and all faces turned back to the leader of the group.

"I wonder what he will decide," Fin thought as Celeb came and sat beside him, "will it be trees and archers, bait and trapping, a mixture, or something completely different?"

Fin relaxed and listened closely, as Gaddy began.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:47 PM   #43
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

Gaddy sat at the head of a big wooden table in the Inn of the Prancing Pony. The eager faces of his companions stared back at him, as they waited to hear what he would say in reeponse to Fin. Gaddy was not used to making fine speeches and such, that was the job for some one like the mayor. Yet, the hobbit was strong-willed and stubborn, and he knew how he wanted to kill the wargs.

Gaddy had known since the time when he first entered the Prancing Pony in search of people to join his quest. Yet, he hadn't let this on to anyone, not even to Autumn. He had listened while the Big Folk adn Little Folk had created their daring plots in which they were the heroes, and no one ever got hurt.

Gaddy was not like that, though. He had fought against wargs before, he knew that people usually did get hurt, and sometimes even killed when they were faced in battle with such a cruel animal. He did not fantacize about saving everyone from danger, and becoming some great hero, all that he wanted was to stop those mudersome beasts from attacking anymore sheep. And he knew just what to do, but he decided that he would not reveal all of his plan to his companions just yet. He would shed a little light on his plans for his fellow companions, but not enough to reveal all of his wonderful plans.

"Tomorrow morning we will head out quite early. We will split up into groups of about two to three poeple apiece. One group will track the wargs, and then report back where they are. I will be taking one group with me to head around Bree in search of some able men and boys who can help us to attack the wargs. Another group will head to the Town Hall and ask what the mayor wants us to do about food, and then head around to selected inns, etc. to pick up food, which we will surely need to feed everyone. After this, if the group finishes early, I would like them to begin to set up camp here at the Inn. We have reserved a few rooms for this specific purpose. The rest of the groups will go the farms that have been attacked by the wargs, and ask what the sheperds saw the night that their sheep were killed or taken. We need to know as much as we can about hese attacks to decide fully which way will be the best to battle these wargs. I will tell you all who is in which groups in the morning. I will be assigning the groups myself, but if anyone wishes to ask to be with any specific person, do so befor I go to bed, or you will have to just deal with who you get. I am not saying, though, that I will pair you definatley with who you want to be with, but I just might consider to pair you the way you want to be. Also, I would like to ask you all not to stay up too late, for, remember, you will all be getting up early tomorrow."

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: Galadel Vinorel ]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 12-14-2002, 06:39 AM   #44
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

As the group dispersed, Fin came toward Gaddy.
"Good plan, Gaddy."
The hobbit leader nodded in thanks.
"About pairing," Fin continued, " I would like to pair with Celeb. We are great friends and I would not want to be separated."
"I'll have to see about that," Gaddy said, before turning away.
Fin retunred to his table with Celeb and said, "Hopefully we will be together but if not then I hope that nothing will befall you."
"I'll be fine Fin, don't you worry," Celeb replied, smiling.

The two friends talked some more, but as the fire in hearth began to dim slightly, and many people retired, so the two friends made their way up the stairs and into bed.

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 12-14-2002, 09:54 PM   #45
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Two more small packs of wolves had now joined with them. They had come east from the moors and were hungry.

Tomorrow early they would hunt again, taking these new ones out on their first foray. Just to the northeast of the Men's hill they would go. There were small farms there with fine, fat sheep for the taking . . .

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-14-2002, 11:05 PM   #46
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Pipe

Autumn and Ned walked for a long time down the road to the Town Hall. The building was quite far away from the Inn of the Prancing Pony, and they needed to get back there and back to the inn before it closed and locked its doors for the night. As they walked, the two hobbits rarely talked, for they were walking very fast. If they did talk, they discussed their mission, and what they thought their companions were discussing back at their meeting at the inn.

Finally, they reached the old Town Hall of Bree. The door was locked, but they could see that a light was on through the window, so they knocked. A short male hobbit answered the door, and, after Autumn had given him Gaddy's note, led them to a room. In the middle of the room was a table piled with weapons. The hobbits loaded the weapons into the cart as fast as they could and left the Town Hall, headed for the inn.

As they walked down the almost empty streets pushing the heavy cart, Auutmn felt her eyes drop. She quickly jerked them open; she was very tired. Today had been a very long and exciting day, and the hobbit knew that she would rest well that night. Autumn glanced over at Ned, and saw that he too was trying to keep his eyes open with all his might. Autumn smiled to herself, and poked Ned in the ribs. "Stay awake, sleepy. We're almost at the inn. There you can rest to your hearts content; or should I say to your eye's content?" teased Auutmn with a grin.

Ned smiled at her and teased back, "I'm not tired; you are the one who is tired. I saw how you just now tried not to fall asleep, Autumn." Both of the hobbits laughed and continued on the long road.

Finally, they reached the inn. They dragged the heavy cart of weapons into the main hall, and found Gaddy waiing there for them. The hobbit then led them to a closet where they deposited the weapons. Gaddy said good night to the two then, and Autumn and Ned went to put the cart in the Inn's shed.

While they were doing this, Ned looked over at Autumn to say something, but all other thoughts left his mind, as he stared at the female hobbit. For Autumn's face was drained of all color, and the look in her eyes was a look of complete and utter terror. She was staring away to where some of the farms were located, and as Ned looked in that direction he heard what had Autumn had, that had made her rooted to where she stood. The two hobbits could hear a faint, but unmistable sound; the sound of the howling of wargs.

Suddenly, the howls broke off, and the two hobbits could hear nothing at all, besides the sighing of the wind. Not saying a word, Auutmn and Ned turned and walked back into the inn.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 12-16-2002, 12:05 PM   #47
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The village of Bree stood just to the east of the intersection of The Great East road and the Greenway, or North road. It was an ancient settlement, lying on the southwestern foot of Bree-hill. The men who founded it had fortified it well against intrusions, digging a deep trench in a semicircle from north to south and planting just behind it a tall, thick hedge.

There were only three gates into the village, North-Gate, West-Gate, South-Gate, and they were constantly guarded. The only other way in would be the difficult way over the Hill itself, which leaned out over the village.

The good folk of Bree kept their livestock penned within its safe walls at night, it was only during the day that the flocks went out to pasture.

Not so, the other villages of Bree-land which lay outside the protection of the trench and hedge: Staddle on the gentler southeastern slopes, Combe in a valley on the eastern flanks, and Archet in Chetwood, north of Combe.

It was all ‘a small country of fields and tamed woodlands, only a few miles broad.’ (Fellowship of the Ring) This was the present hunting grounds of the Wargs and their united packs of Wolves.

The new Wolves were hungry from their journey. They had traveled quickly, and the hunting had been poor. Carchmoroth, wishing to keep them satisfied under his command, proposed a hunting party, to be led by Dûrêl and Dúgoroth.

Pre-dawn, in the chill air of that hour just before the sun rose, they moved liked a silent mist beneath the trees of Chetwood, the two Wargs and the pack of ten Wolves. Their eyes glinted in the waning starlight, and the birds were silent at their dread passing.

Along the outer rim of the clearing where Archet stood, they found a small farm, one dog to guard the flock of twenty sleeping sheep. The dog himself was sleeping, no news of any dangers brought to the notice of his nose.

They had come upwind of him, and now they poured down into the yard where the sheep were like wraiths. The dog fought bravely, but was overcome by the two Wargs. The Wolves had leaped into the pen and set about killing sheep, dragging their carcasses beneath the posts of the pen to be taken back to safety and eaten.

Five fine, fat sheep met their deaths and had been dragged off before the Farmer could get out to drive the marauders from his small flock. His eyes met the yellow eyes of one of the Wargs as it loped off, unintimidated by his meager threats.

‘A quarter of our flock is gone!’ he cried to his wife, who had come out armed with a thick cudgel to assist him. ‘And Tomba is dead!’ He went to the body of his faithful dog, and knelt down by it.

‘I have heard,’ she said, ‘from Farmer Gilham’s wife, that there is a meeting over in Bree, at The Prancing Pony, led by Gaddy Furbarrow. They’ve lost a lot of stock over there, too, to these wolves. They’re planning some sort of organized way to get rid of them. Perhaps you and some of the other men from around here should join them.’

‘Perhaps we should.’ he said, thinking who of his neighbors might be next to lose their stock. ‘We’re only small farmers here and we have no protection for our flocks as do the farmers in Bree.’ He thought for a moment, making a list of those he might persuade to go with him.

Then they would set out to the Prancing Pony to ask for help and to give it as needed . . .
Old 12-17-2002, 05:23 AM   #48
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

Ned awoke bright and early the next morning. Usually, he wasn't what you'd call a "morning person." In fact, he held a private belief that such unholy times were reserved especially to torment him, and he regarded any hour before 11 as something to be avoided at all costs. Today was different, though. Today was the first day of his Adventure.

He made a determined effort as soon as he opened his eyes, flung back the covers and stood shivering on the cold flagstones. He wanted to be the first one there, to show that he could be counted on, and (he admitted to himself) to get the pick of the new weaponry. He had picked out his clothes the night before. His best outfit. He'd made it himself, and modeled it on the clothes those old Rangers wore whenever they came to the Pony. A old cloak, carefully and deliberately weatherbeaten. Leather pants and tunic. Ned struggled a bit with this part, as he had grown a bit since he made them. Then, he eyed his nemesis from across the room. A pair of battered boots. Normally, Ned had no more use for footwear than most Hobbits, but he'd watched carefully, and every single Ranger had them. So he'd heaved a sigh of resignation and gotten these made. They fit (if such a word even applied) abominably, and gave even Ned's thick soles blisters, but the rules were the rules. He heaved another sigh and struggled manfully with the awful things. One of them split down the heel as he tugged it on, and Ned winced as his toes were crunched against the front most painfully. At last he limped over to the mirror and regarded his form approvingly. He threw some old clothes into a backpack and strapped his little hatchet to his waist. Then, slowly, painfully, he made his way down the road towards the Pony.

He had gone about a hundred yards down the road when his left boot split entirely, and his toes peeked out of the front. He stood bewildered, then, glancing furtively around to make sure no-one was watching, ridded himself of the hated footwear. He proceeded much more cheerfully then.

When he reached the Pony, the Sun had just peeked over the horizen, and Ned was in high spirits. He flung open the door. He was the first one in the common room. He whistled a little tune, found a seat in the corner and waited for the others to show themselves.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 12-17-2002, 09:46 AM   #49
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
As Anuionin walked into the inn, he could see that Ned had already arrived. He walked over to Ned and started a little conversation.

"Good morning Ned",Anuionin sayd,"much to early to get out of bed won't you say?
You got that right!" Ned responded,"I can't wait to go on adventure, but it would be nice if adventure started at 1'o clock or something." They both agreed on that but then a loud voice shattered trough the inn.

"Well adventure could start later, but than there would be no adventure anymore. We can wait, Wargs can't. They will eat all the sheep before we will even be out of bed. And then there will be no sheep clothes Anuionin"

Anuionin reccognized the voice and sayd:"Well I guess your right my friend. Join our table so that we can wait for the others.

BUTTERBURR! He shouted and Butterburr came running out of the kitchen."Yes master Dwarf?" he sayed."Give me and my friends a pint and put it on my tab"Anuionin sayd. Ehm about that tab you have reached your maximum and the inn would like that one covered before any new consumptions will be provided."Butterburr sayd. Anuionin laughed and remembered the tab that he left unforfilled yesterday. His brown beard shaked and his helmet fall off. I'm so sorry Butterburr. Because off the trouble I had yesterday I completly forgot about you. How much do I ow you?"Anuionin sayed. Well let's see: You had a meal, hired a room for the night, drank 17 pints and gave a round to the whole inn including me. That will be 5 gold coins. Anuionin payed the tab and gave Butterburr 3 bronze coins because he felt sorry for the barliman.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
________
Tr

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:53 PM   #50
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Gaddy yawned. It was very early, even earlier than he would get up on the farm, but he needed to get to eat breakfast, get groups assigned and hand out weapons before 11 o'clock, at the latest. His feet barely made any sound as he walked through the hall to the main hall.

As Gaddy passed a mirror, he looked into it. His reflection, with messed up hair and rumpled clothes included, stared back at him. He ran a hand distractedly over his clothes, and pulled out a comb. The hobbit briefly ran the comb through his hair, as he looked over his list of partners in his hand.

Finally, Gaddy reached the main hall, and he stuffed the paper into his pocket; no would be able to see the list until everyone was gathered in the hall. Gaddy nodded to Ned and the others who were already gathered there, and walked over to Butterbur. Gaddy had ordered a room the night before, where everyone would recieve their weapons and job assignments. The hobbit and man walked into a small room with a fireplace and huge table, with chairs included. Gaddy nodded in approval at the room and went to get the people in the main hall.

Gaddy then led them to the room, where they made a fire. Anuoinin was left in the main hall to direct people, as they came, to the room. With Ned's help, Gaddy carried the weapons into the room, and set them on a small table in the corner. Then he covered them with his jacket, and he said to Ned, when the hobbit tried to pick one out for himself, "If you or anyone else touches those weapons before I hand them out, lad, someone will loose an arm. That I can guarantee you."

Let's just say that after that stern warning, Ned never touched those weapons, before Gaddy handed them out, and he made very sure that no one else ever laid a hand on them. He knew, of course that Gaddy really wouldn't chop off someone's arm, but he didn't want to take any chances. And, so, Gaddy and Ned waited in the small room for people to join them, so that they could finally get started on their quest.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: Galadel Vinorel ]
Old 12-17-2002, 03:14 PM   #51
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Nariah was also up early. She woke early and hadnt been able to get back to sleep so she went down to the main room of the inn, and was suprised to see that shed been beaten to it. She stopped midyawn, staring at the early risers. Or maybe late drinkers...no, the now barefooted Ned was among them and he really didnt seem like a hardened late night drinker. She smiled at the thought.

"Well let's see: You had a meal, hired a room for the night, drank 17 pints and gave a round to the whole inn including me." Nariah caught Anuionins eye and smiled at him as he winced with recollection; after over ten pints hed obviously been of the feeling that he loved the world. Now he just was realising he probably wouldnt be loving this bill. Butterburs face meanwhile was contorting with effort as he was did the calculation. His face cleared and he continued triumphantly "That will be 5 gold coins."

After Anuionin had paid, Butterburr turned grudgingly to go the bar, before seeing Nariah standing there and beaming; hed found a way to go back to sleep after all. "Ah, morning lass. Ooh, it is awful early to be waking isnt it, realy makes me back play up, so it does-"

The young woman laughed and held up a hand. "Alright, alright. Ill stay at the bar ok?"

"Oh would you lass? Ooh, youre a great girl Nariah. I however, have pressing business in my bedroom."

"Of course you do, of course you do." Nariah smiled after him and started opening the inn and preparing it for another day as more sleepy figures drifted in.

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-17-2002, 04:45 PM   #52
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As Nariah opened the main doors, Fin came rushing in.
“Just been for a run,” he said, sitting down and wiping the sweat from his forehead. “An hour run always wakes me up. Anybody else around yet?” he asked as Nariah smiled.
“Through there,” she said, pointing toward their private room.
“Good,” the man said, getting his breath back, “I’ll go and call on Celeb and then I’ll be back down.”

Fin ran up the stairs to his friend’s room and knocked gently on the door. After a call of ‘come in’ he turn the handle and stepped inside. Celeb was brushing her hair and tying it back so as not to get in the way.
“You already look beautiful, why bother,” Fin commented. Celeb smiled at him and carried on.

Eventually, when she was ready, they made their way downstairs and into the room. Ned was there, already looking sleepy, and Gaddy was also present, looking his usual official self.
“Greetings friends,” Fin cried, clapping Ned on the back. “Now where’s the food?” He returned to the main common room and walked over to Nariah. “Any chance of some breakfast?”
She smiled and moved off into the kitchen. She returned moments later, saying, “At this hour there’s only some porridge.”
“Fine,” Fin said and took two bowls into the private room, giving one to Celeb.
“Here is your feast,” he mocked, tucking into the food.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:38 PM   #53
Gimli the Dwarf
Pile O'Bones

Gimli the Dwarf has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Bailen woke up and looked around at his room. He gathered all of his belongings and sorted them into piles the things he would not need fore his adventure were to stay in the innkeepers keeping while he was gone the rest of the stuff was put into his pack of his weapons there consisted of a single headed axe used mainly as a walking stick but could also be used as a weapon. Two throwing axes and his beloved doubleheaded axe. He went down stairs to the main room of the inn. He first goes to the innkeeper.

Bailen says, "I would like a months suply of pipeweed if you please"

The inkeeper says, "That will be a five hundred in Bree curancy."

Bailen pays the innkeeper for his expenses and gets his pipeweed.

He then turns to Gaddy and asks, "Where do you want me to be in this expedition?"

Old 12-18-2002, 12:43 PM   #54
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

Celeb eats and then gets up and walks outside to see what the weather was like.
It was beautiful and she almost didnt go back in. When she finally did she went to find Gaddy. When she found Gaddy she smiled.
"Morning to you!"

Celebmornie
Old 12-18-2002, 03:40 PM   #55
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Autumn woke up later than most of the rest of the travelers. The trip to the Town Hall with Ned the night before had worn her out more than she had realized. Yawning, the young hobbit got out of bed reluctantly and washed her face and hands.

She dressed quickly, and then she began to comb out her tangled hair. Finally she was ready, and she went to over to a mrror to inspect herself. She was wearing her normal brown pants with a blue tunic. Her blond hair flowed like waves down to the middle of her back, with two strands on either side pulled back from her face with a blue ribbon. Autumn smiled back at her reflection, her blue eyes sparkling in anticipation of what the day would bring. Then, finally, Autumn set off out her room and down to the main hall of the Prancing Pony.

When she entered the hall she saw Helkahothion sitting at a table, and he hastily directed her to a side room. In the small room she found Gaddy, along with a few of the other travelers sitting or standing around a huge table. Autumn nodded, smiling, at Gaddy and walked over to Ned.

"Good morning, Ned. How are you doing on this fine morning?" Autumn asked and smiled at him, slightly tilting her head to the side, waiting for a response.

[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: Galadel Vinorel ]
Old 12-18-2002, 10:17 PM   #56
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

Ned took a deep breath as Autumn walked towards him. Ok, Ned. You can do this, he thought, trying to calm his nerves.
"Good morning, Ned. How are you doing on this fine morning?" She asked, and flashed that smile again. Ned could feel his brain turn to goo. He acted purely on instinct.
"ImfineAutumnniceofyoutoaskhowareyou?" He took a deep breath and tried to smile in return. He failed miserably, and heard someone (Fin?) chuckle, rather maliciously, he thought.

He took another deep breath, and tried to discern the culprit, but the sun flashing off of Autumn's hair was... distracting. Making a final, last ditch effort, he looked up at her. "Have a seat!" He said, desperately trying to escape with some semblance of dignity, "But don't touch anything. I think Gaddy got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning." His smile, he was relieved to note, didn't quite resemble a dead woodchuck's grimace this time.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 12-20-2002, 12:48 PM   #57
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Dûrêl and Dúgoroth sat on a small rocky rise and watched as the Wolves tore into the still warm carcasses of the sheep. They had dragged the five bodies well into the protection of the woods and savaged them with a vengeance.

'Must be poor hunting where they've come from, eh?!' remarked Dúgoroth to his sister. 'Unlike here.' he finished with a feral smile.

'You remember well the northern country where the two-leggeds and their spawn drove us long ago, do you not?' she said eyeing him. 'Nothing to eat but snow and twigs and the half starved crebain when we could find them.'

'Yes, but this is our hunting ground now, sister mine. And when we are done here, we will move farther west and begin again. Soon all the lands will be ours to roam as we will.' He turned his gaze back to the Wolves. 'Let's get them going, they've just about finished up.'

Dûrêl went down among the Wolves and snapped at them, bringing them into line, and hurried them back to where the pack was resting. She turned back once to see if her brother followed. 'I will come soon.' he called to her.

He took the heads from the sheep and brought them to the flat top of the rocky rise. He arranged them, the backs of the heads touching each other, their faces pointed north, south, east, and west. The last he propped nose up, on top of them, sightless eyes looking to the uncaring heavens - for help that was too late in coming.

Satisfied, he turned and broke into a run, hurrying to meet his sister.

Old 12-20-2002, 01:13 PM   #58
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Nariah smiled, her hair covering her face from Ned while she cleaned a table as she heard his attempts. She brushed it away as he walked hurriedly past, his face red.

"Nicely done Ned." She murmered in his ear. The hobbit looked up, pleased and beamed before continuing on his way smiling dreamily as he thought about Autumn and his beetroot face paling from beetroot to a sort of tomato. Nariah smiled after him and turned her thoughts back to Fin.

Findorfin...the name was musical. The handsome young man had come running in a while ago after a morning jog. So hopelessly showy, but still.

She shook her head. He had his Celeb, more was the pity. And no way would he turn from the dark blonde beauty to the barmaid.

"Alright there? Once again, youve been wiping the same bit of table for almost ten minutes, it seems to be a habit with you."

Nariah jumped as the object of her thoughts appeared in front of her. Luckily her skin didnt easily colour and she was able to cover her immediate reaction of being flustered. She stared at him for a moment then saw Celeb come up behind him. Bother.

"Can I get you anything either of you?" She asked smoothly smiling.

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 12-21-2002, 02:38 AM   #59
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

“Um…I’m not sure,” Fin replied, taking on a pose of the utmost concentration, “after that wonderful porridge I don’t think I could possibly eat anymore!”

“Full already,” Celeb teased, "surely not.”

Fin scowled at her, but it quickly broke into a smile, “perhaps a drink to wash it down.” Nariah left the tabletop, which was now shining brightly, and made her way behind the bar.

“What would you like, Fin,” she asked, starring at him.

“To early for ale, really,” he said, “so better just make it a glass of water. Need to be on top form today, no room for drunks!”

As Nariah poured his water from a jug on the side and he turned so that he faced both women, “looking forward to starting? It seems we have a good company.”

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 12-22-2002, 10:59 AM   #60
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Gaddy nodded to each new person as they came in the door and went off the talk with their new friends. 'Not a very hardy group,' thought Gaddy, 'but they will have to do, though I do wish that I could find a few hardy farmers of Bree or even their sons. But no one can be spared during these hard times, so I will have to make do with who I have. Maybe these few people will actually turn out to be allright hunters. Maybe even that Ned over there will turn out allright.

Gaddy sighed to himself and turned to look at Autumn and Ned where they sat by each other at the table. Gaddy smiled as he saw Ned's face go beat red as he tried to say something to Autumn. 'I better have a talk with those young ones, ' thought Gaddy, 'This is not the time to develop crushes on pepole. This is serious business, but I might as well let them have some fun while they can. They need something to lighten up their spirits.'

Gaddy watched as the last few people of their company came into the room and Nariah closed the door behind her. The hobbit waited until everyone was seated around the table then he stood up on each chair and began to list the groups.

"I have the made up a list of what the groups will be, and where each of you will go. The first group will go and track down the wargs. The leader of this group will be Elfred Thistle, and, joining him will be Autumn Gamwich and Ned Brandybuck. I want you three to track down the wargs, trying not to be seen of course, and then report back here at the Prancing Pony."

"The next group will go around to the farms that have been attacked by wargs and fight out thing s about the attack. Such as: when did it happen, what happened before and after the attack, and so on. The leader of this expedition will be Nariah Alderleaf, and Fin and Celebmornie will be joining her."

"The last group will go to the Town Hall and around Bree collecting supplies. I will head this group and Anuionin and Bailin will be coming with me. Any questions?"

No one spoke up, so Gaddy continued, "Now everyone will choose their weapons. I would like each group, one at a time, and each person choose what kind of weapon they will use." Groups began to go and choose their weapons, and Gaddy choose this oppurtunity to speak to Nariah alone.

"Nariah here is the list of farms that were attacked by wargs. I want you to go and ask what I said before, and do not take any bad mouthing from anyone, girl. Remember, I choose YOU to be the leader of your group, not anyone else. I choose you to be the leader because I know that you can do this. Don's worry, lass, you'll do fine, and I'm sure that you will make us all proud."

Nariah smiled, embarrassed, and looked down at the list in her hands. Suddenly her head sang with shcock, and she looked up at Gaddy quickly. "Your farm is on this list, Gaddy! But, I...."

Gaddy quickly interupted the woman, "Now, Nariah, you know that my farm was attacked. If you need to talk to me about it, then you will probally be able to find me here or at the Town Hall. Now go grab your waepons, or your group will be late in leaving."

Nariah quickly ran over to Fin and Celebmornie, who had allready begun picking out their weapons. After everyone was finished Gaddy wished them well, and went to join his group.

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Galadel Vinorel ]
Old 12-22-2002, 04:21 PM   #61
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Nariah beamed and practically glowed with pleasure. She was the head of a group- with Fin in it! She started towards the pile of weapons before a few things hit her...
-They were going to fight wargs.
-Not only was Fin in her group. The lovely Celeb was as well.

Bother.

This deflated her happiness, but only a little. She continued with a small sigh to where Fin and Celeb where picking weapons. Nariah rooted around for a bit until with almost a gasp she picked out a beautiful bow. After testing its sighting and balance for a moment she smiled, satisfied, and then beamed at Gaddy.

She inclined her head to Fin- and Celeb- and scanned the list in her hands. Right... purposefully, the three set off.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:36 PM   #62
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As Gaddy called the groups out, Fin smirked. “Oh dear,” he thought, “this could be…interesting.”
He carried his sword, a fine dunedain blade of ancient times, but he saw no harm in adding to his arsenal, so along with everyone else, he moved over to the pile of weapons. After discarding many a rusty and not-so-good weapons he came across a small knife. Many of the others had already passed over it, but Fin noticed the tiny runes running along the blade, and elvish blade perhaps? He quickly strapped it and its sheath, a small leather affair that was obviously not an original, onto his belt and continued to look. He found another knife, of poorer quality but still in good shape and decided that that would be enough. Although Wargs would be tough, it was no use piling himself up with weapons and becoming to heavy to move. He had noticed Nariah, and the bow she had found..

“Well now we have long and short range weapons just in case,” he thought. Fin didn’t want anyone getting injured around him, no, he wouldn’t let anyone!

When Celeb had chosen her weapons, as well, they all gathered and Fin asked, “where is our first port of call?”
Old 12-22-2002, 06:19 PM   #63
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

As soon as the group's where formed, Anuionin was glad that he would travel with one of his own kin.

He quickly rushed over to the table where he saw this beautifull axe. It was a light, but strong, two-handed axe with a dubble blade. Happy with his new found tresure he went back to the table and starting rounding up his equipment. Because he was quite the strong type he carried more then one axe. He had the two-handed that he just got, two one handed axe's and 3 axe's that could be used for trowing and fighting.

"Ha those Rat's will be sorry when these here blade's will strike there skull" He tought and as he went over to Gaddy his tirsth for battle grew larger.

"I just wish that we can get those rat's very soon"

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
________
VANOS

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:06 PM   #64
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

Ned sat bolt upright when he heard the announcement. He was going to be hunting the Wargs! Of course, this is what he wanted, but he'd always had a sneaking suspicion that Gaddy thought him a bit too... something... for that job.

He hoped Old Man Thistle didn't remember him, though. It would be a tough trip through the countryside if that was the case. Ned hadn't done anything wrong persay, but Elfred hadn't appreciated his idea of re-enacting the Battle of Five Armies using groups of sheep. It had been a good idea too, he remembered ruefully. All planned out perfectly. But when he had charged out of the woods, playing the part of Thorin, Nop had immediately jumped him and Elfred had laid the great Thorin Oakenshield across his knees and given him an ignonimous defeat. But that was years ago. He couldn't possibly still remember that. Ned had barely been into his teens.

While locked into this memory, most of the other members of the group had already selected weaponry. Fin in particular grabbed a knife that Ned had had his eye on. He pouted, then moved up to the table to see what was left. He collected another little axe, that balanced much better than the one he had. Then he went rummaging for a sword. He didn't particularly know how to use one, but every hero he had ever heard of carried his trusty elven blade by his side, so Ned would too. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be an abundance of Elven craftsmanship on the table. He ended up with a light little sword, perhaps a bit too long for him, that had probably been made as a training weapon for a youngster of the Big People. It was light enough for Hobbit use, though, and Ned was pleased with it.

Newly armed, he retired to a corner, waiting for both Autumn and Elfred (whom, he realized, he hadn't seen yet today) to join him.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:14 PM   #65
Olo Gamwich
Animated Skeleton

Olo Gamwich has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Olo Gamwich sat at his small kitchen table scanning over the tattered notice. He rubbed his finger around and around the rim of his mug, deep in though. Over the sizzle of potatoes, Ruby grumbled, "Autumn's been swindled into goin' with them foolish crusaders, ya know. Silly girl"

"Did she now? Well, I trust she knows what she's doin', Ruby. She's not the little girl you remember."

"Oh, I know, but...oh, it just seems like a lot of tom-foolery to me. I don't want you goin, O'. You remember what happened to..." Ruby stopped herself suddenly. She turned quickly and pressed her hand to her mouth.

"Yes, Ruby...I remember. I'll always remember. But that's why ya' can't stop me. I need...revenge." Olo pushed his chair back and walked out of the small room. He grabbed his cloak, a bit of gold, then hesitated. He turned to the dusty chest that was pressed into the corner of the bedroom. Inside was the sword...the sword that had killed the warg that had killed his brother. It was long since his hand had gripped it...but now, it was aching to grip it.

Olo set off from Archet, arriving at Bree by nightfall. He opened the door of The Prancing Pony and stepped inside...

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-22-2002, 11:55 PM   #66
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Pretty much how I thought it would come out." thought Elfred as he rose slowly and walked towards the center of the room. He had waited patiently in a corner by the fire, enjoying its warmth whilst the other adventurers had rummaged through the pile of weapons and gear. Elfred was appreciating the comforts of the Inn while he could. He knew that once this hunt started, it might be awhile before he enjoyed it again.

"Ned Brandybuck! Ho, boy!" he called. Elfred had always had a great respect for the Brandybuck family, but he knew they all had a wild streak, especially when still in their tweens. Young Neddy had a reputation for being a bit of a dreamer and gad-about, and Elfred had not forgotten some of the childish pranks he and his cousins had played amongst the flocks.

Still, he seemed intelligent enough. As for courage? Well, the Brandybucks weren't known to be cowards: not with taking up residence hard by the Old Forest. But Elfred believed that the young tween had never really experienced the true evil that dwelled in the wild lands beyond the Shire's borders. He'd be learning though, soon enough.

"Aye, sir!" cried Ned, taking a deep swig from his hot tea and trotting over to Elfred, almost tripping over his newly acquired sword. Elfred hid a smile. "G'morning, Mr. Thistle. And good morning to you as well, Nop." Nop let out a great, jaw-cracking yawn and gave a lazy wave of his tail. He was getting his rest while he could as well.

"Call me Elfred, Neddy. Most do. No use standing on ceremony. Are you just about ready to start out, then?"

"Yes, sir...I mean Elfred. I can't believe we're really going to be hunting Wargs!" Ned gave a experimental swing of his sword, causing the old shepherd to jump back out of the way.

"Now then boy. They'll be no hunting. Not yet, least ways. We are tracking and looking for signs, and the less those devils know we're on their trail, the better. I'd not like to be facing down a pack of those fell beasts on our own. We'll not be doing any "hunting" until we know where they hole up, and the entire group can come on them and take them by surprise."

Elfred wondered whether Ned was even listening, since he was still admiring his new blade. "Aren't you going to choose a weapon, Elfred?"

We'll be stopping by my hole so I can fetch my bow and arrows. But this is my true weapon, Neddy." Suddenly the old hobbit whirled his aged staff through the air, and spinning round, smashed the knotted head into the heavy oak table behind him. It left a considerable dent in the hard, ancient tabletop.

"Did you think this old crook of mine was only good for prodding strays? Made from a whole tree root from the Old Forest itself. Hard as iron, though not near as heavy. It'll do some damage. And in my day I was quarterstaff champion five years running at the Midsummer's fair."

"What happened in the sixth year, Elfred?" asked Ned with a grin.

"I got married. Now, where has that Autumn got to? I have my misgivings taking a lass on such a dangerous mission. But Gaddy insists she will be no burden. Though I don't doubt that he put her with us so'se I could keep an eye on her." Ned looked a little uncomfortable at this. He hoped Elfred would not be keeping [i]too[i] strict an eye on her.

"Oh, Autumn will keep up. Have no fear, Elfred. Why she told me hers..." But at that minute the door to the "Pony" crashed open, and Matt Heathertoes came running into the inn. He shoved a newly arrived hobbit carrying a sword out of his way, and collapsed on a bench, white as a sheet and panting from exhaustion.

"Wargs!" he gasped. "Wargs have attacked in Chetwood!"

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-23-2002, 11:40 AM   #67
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

Celeb grabbs a sword that is burried under all of the other weapons and smiles. She recognises this blade. It is the one she left laying here on her last visit. She strapps it to her waist and grabs her bow. She smiles and goes over to Fin and Nariah.
"Well it looks like we all have good weapons and are ready for anything!"
She smiles and looks at Nariah.
She likes him! I cant believe I have been so blind not to notice!
Celeb thinks to her self she quickly notices that if Fin keeps flirting with her like he was that she would get the impression that he wants her.
What if that is what he wants her to think? What if he dosent like me anymore?
Celeb smiles at them and decides to find out sometime!

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Celebmornie ]

[ December 24, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Celebmornie
Old 12-23-2002, 12:33 PM   #68
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

After Gaddy had announced what their groups would be, Autumn had quickly darted up to her room to change her blue tunic to a green one, which would hide her better from the wargs.

She was so happy that she would be helping Elfred and Ned track down the wargs. She had had been afraid for a while, that since she was a lass, Gaddy would assign her to go with him to collect food. But, luckiy, Gaddy trusted her more than that, and knew that she was good with a bow and her trusty knives, though, he had probally assigned her to be with Elfred so that the hobbit could keep track of the lass.

Autumn burst into the room where everyone was still gathered and busy finding their weapons. After setting down her pack by Elfred and Ned, and telling them that she would be right back, the lass quickly hurried over to the table in search for a bow and some arrows. She already had her four knives, so all that she need now was a good bow and some arrows. As Autumn searched she found some arrows in a leather pouch, and then, finally, a sturdy bow made out of looked like oak wood. The hobbit quickly flexed the bow and then strapped it, along with the arrows, onto her back.

Then she moved back to her group and put on her pack. While making sure that all of her weapons were secure, Autumn heard the door of the Prancing Pony open with a bang. With her group following behind her, the young hobbit lass rushed out to the main hall in time to see her relative, Olo Gamwich being pushed in by another hobbit, Matt Heathertoes.

As Autumn watched, Matt sat down with a puff and said, gasping form lack of breath, "Wargs have attacked Chetwood!" Autumn stood frozen to the spot. How could this be! Fear in her eyes, which was trying to hide, though, the lass turned to look at Gaddy.

The old hobbit was just standing there, though, a fierce, angry expression on his face as he stared at Matt. Suddenly Gaddy turned to the members of his company and said, "It seems that our plans have been interupted. We will not allow the sheep of Chetwood to be massacred while we still have strength in us."

Autumn stood straight, thinking that she knew what was to come, but she was wrong. "I will take all of the groups, except for the group that will track the wargs, and go to the farms near Chetwood to gather more mens. Then we will attack those filthy wargs. But," Gaddy continued, looking directly at Elfred, "I would like if Elfred with his group to go to where we last spotted the wargs and track them from there. I have a feeling that there is more than one group of wargs. If the group discovers that there is only one group of wargs, then meet us at Chetwood, and helpp us to defeat these creatures. But, if there is more than one group, track them down to where they are, then come to Chetwood or here and report to me what you find. Now, let's go."

Autumn turned to look at Elfred, who was still staring at Gaddy. "Why is Gaddy making us still track the wargs, Elfred? Why does he think that there are two apcks of wargs?" Autumn asked, looking over at Elfred.

Elfred looked down at the wide-eyed hobbit lass and said, "I think that Gaddy has his own reasons for think this, Autumn, but we need to follow his orders. We will go back to where I found Gaddy's dead sheep, and track the wrags from there. Hopefully they lead to Chetwood."

"Why do you hope that they lead to Chetwood?" asked Ned.

"Because," began Autumn her eyes growing wider as she stared at Elfred, "if they don't lead to Chetwood, then that means that there are at least to packs of wargs in Bree, and we have a bigger problem to deal with than we thought at first." Elfred nodded, but didn't say anything, and all three hobbits began to get ready to leave.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:37 PM   #69
Olo Gamwich
Animated Skeleton

Sting

After being knocked to the ground by a powerful shove, Olo shook himself off and stood to his feet. A man had entered the room just after him and began to shout something about Chetwood, but Olo heard little of this, being a bit dazed. The hustle and bustle of the inn left him feeling a little out of place; a large crowd had gathered over a table of various weapons - clearly the adventurers. None of them seemed to notice him, but when seen wielding a sword he was quickly identified as one, and without greeting he was sucked into the mass of rag-tag warriors in the middle of a discussion. Olo tried to follow the voices of the group, but all of their words seemed to become mashed together and inaudible. This was clearly going to be an interesting quest...indeed. But the glimpse of Autumn's face in the group was comforting...despite what his wife said, Olo knew that Autumn was very courageous and could kill a warg with no more than the fight in her heart. So as the talk began to settle, Olo nudged the leg of a tall man beside him. The man looked down with a smirk and spoke...

[ December 24, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-26-2002, 01:48 AM   #70
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Carchmoroth paced restlessly on the stone ledge at the lip of the cave. He had expected the Wolves back by now with Dûrêl and Dúgoroth. Why were they late? He snapped angrily at a Wolf who ventured too near to him. He should never have allowed them to go out hunting this soon after the last hunt.

He heard the pack take up a low timbred yipping, and raced to the top of the hill, peering south. Narrowing his keen eyes against the light, he picked them out, travelling at a good pace toward the den. The Wolves ran before, their red tongues lolling out, and behind, driving them on were his children, snapping at the heels of those who would not quicken their pace.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:29 PM   #71
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Hamfast ran puffing and panting toward the Prancing Pony. "I'm so late" he thought, "they have probablt left by now! You're in deep now!" He rushed through the door just in time to see Gaddy announce the groups. "Sorry I'm late" he said, "had to get the wife and kids settled, you know how it is..." They all stared at the embarrased hobbit, it was obvious that they didn't know how it was. "Well, have I missed too much? I do not have to be part of the expedition if I am too late! I promise you it will not happen again! I can stay here at the Inn for as long as you need me! I'll even act as bait to lure the wargs into a trap! Anything, anything, I only wish to be a part of this!"

What was he saying? Hamfas could not believe those words had come out of his mouth. He gave a little squeak of suprise and sat down with a thump onto a nearby stool. Everyone was looking at him again. His face was bright red, partly because he was tired and partly because he felt very awkward. He certainly was in an odd position. "I thought you would still need help, so I came back quick as I could...I'm so sorry, so dreadfully sorry!" Hamfast gasped. He wasn't sure his words had went too well with those around him. They had the strangest looks on their faces. Was it suprise? Anger? Amusement? Or a mix of the three? He probably did look ridiculous. A short stout hobbit huffing and puffing, red in the face, gasping out apologies. He hoped amusement would help the situation. Though there might not be room for it here.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-30-2002, 07:14 AM   #72
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

They all had watched the Hobbit come in and where surprized when he came in.

As Anuion came in and saw that odd little man stumble about being bate and that he had to get his wife and kid's setteled, he just had to laugh really hard. But since the poor Hobbit was still talking it would be unpolite.

When the Hobbit was finished everyone wass still looking at him and there was a painful silence. Anuionin could not keep his strength much longer and bursted out in a tremendous laughter.

"Hahahahaahaahaa settling your wife and kids hahahahahaha yeah I know dear Hobbit I know hahahahahahaha" he sayd between his laugter.

The Hobbit's face cheared up and he starting lauging. The laugh was happy and cheerful and it seemed for a moment that it was just like normal lauging over a joke and they forgot there troubles for a moment.

As Gaddy came in the room and saw this awkward play he asked Anuionin what was going on.

"Oh, nothing."Anuionin replied"Just a little late Hobbit with a funny speach. He thinks there is no place for him and if that is true, I would love to have him on my group. That is, if you and Bailin don't have a problem with it."

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
________
LINCOLN SPORT HISTORY

Old 12-30-2002, 07:20 PM   #73
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

It was amazing that Hamfast had been able to laugh in his position. He felt brave again when Anuion actually said he would like to have him in is group! He felt he could even start talking about plans like he was an experienced warrior again. He even thought about the bait idea again. If the tied a rope around his waste underneath his clothes and have him stand in as an angry sheep herder they could have him (dumbly) attack the wargs next time they would come looking for sheep, then he could run from any wargs that would chase him for only a few yards to a nearby tree where he would be hauled up to safety then they could spring whatever trap they create.

As soon as the Hobbit had formed his plan he dismissed it to the back of his mind. It was so risky and who knows if the wargs would bother to follow a stupid little hobbit who was stupid enough to hit them with a stick. "Another silly idea...as usual!" he thought to himself, "I better start listening more!"

By this time he had compltely forgotten his predicament but his memory caught up with the rest of his brain and Hamfast went back into anxieties. What would Gaddy say? Anduion was amused and found there was nothing wrong with his lateness or his reasoning, but what about the rest? This wasn't a hobbit walking party and Hamfast knew that, but did they know that? His line of thought came to a crashing hault. "What?" he asked himself, "you're mixing yourself up!" His line of thought went on. He could be tough when needed and he had always loved the stories and songs of warriors of old, this was as close as he would get to that, assisting in the extermination of pesky wargs in Bree. It had a nice ring to it at any rate. He would fight to the end and wouldn't complain one bit! Even if the outcome was dea...he stopped again. Death. This was the first time he had come to face that thought. He could die. "You promised you would be brave, you promised," his conscience screamed at him, "A promise is a promise, and I keep promises!" he screamed back. He would face what was to come with uncertainty, but with hearty resolution because he had made a promise.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 12-30-2002, 08:59 PM   #74
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Autumn had nearly collapsed into laughter when Hamfast had come barging into the inn, but she held her hand over her mouth so that she wouldn't embarrass poor Hamfast. The hobbit lass then turned to Ned, with a smile on her face, as she heard Anunion laugh. Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, Autumn caught the glimpse of a very familiar face.

Smiling to herself, Autumn made her way through the crowd to an old friend, and a relative of hers for that matter. As she reached him, Autumn tapped the hobbit on the shoulder, and Olo Gamwich turned around surprised. As he saw who it was he smiled and said, "Hello, Autumn. It's good to see you again, lass." Autumn smiled back and said, "It's good to see you too, Olo." Then Autumn pulled one of Olo's curls attached to his head quite hard, which was recieved with a satisfactory grimace. Autumnm let go with a light chuckle and motioned for Olo to follow her. When they reached her group, the young lass introduced Olo to Ned and Elfred, thoguh the hobbit allready knew Elfred before this. Olo nodded and turned around as Gaddy began to talk to the group gathered in the small room.

This is what the sheepraiser had to say, "All of the groups will now, with the exception of the scout party, head to Chetwood as fast as we can to stop these terrible creatures. The new arrivers, besides Olo Gamwich, will join us in stopping this threat, and we will also gather other men and boys old enough to fight, along the way. The scout party, which will now be joined by Olo Gamwich, an experienced scouter, will track the wolves from their last known position. Now let's move out!"

After Gaddy was finished, he jumped down rather loudly from his chair, and with everyone, except for the scout party, headed out the Prancing Pony's door. Down the road they marached, and they were joined by other men and boys as they traveled along the road to Chetwood.

Back at the Inn, Autumn stood, with her group, nearly rooted to the spot. As Gaddy had passed her on his way out the door, he had slipped a note into her hands. Now the poor hobbit lass stood staring at the note in her slightly trembling hands. Clearing her throat, Autumn opened the note and read out loud to her group:

"Dear Autumn and Company,

Be careful and quiet as you track the wargs or wolves, as they may turn out to be. If the tracks lead to Chetwood, then join us there, but, if not, then find their lair. Do not attack them, or let them know that you are there. Be carefuul. Wargs and wolves have a good sense of smell, and they will not stop tracking or attacking you until you or they are dead. Be very careful. After this, come back to the Inn or even come and report to me at Chetwood. I can not tell you enough, BE CAREFUL. I will be keeping watch for you all. Return safely, everyone.

Yours Truly,
Gaddy Furbarrow"

Autumn gently folded the note back up, and handed it to Elfred. Then the hobbit lass gathered up her weapons and pack, and silently followed Elferd out the door, with Olo and Ned following behind her.

[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-31-2002, 10:11 AM   #75
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Anuionin was marching along side Hamfast. He felt the tension in the group and knew tha not may of them had seen combat.

Anuionin tought that he might cheer things up a bit with one of his own made Battle songs.

He started singing:

Anuionin has come to battle
high will wave his axe
enemy's bones will break and rattle
because theire cunning lacks
he will strike with no merci and not be stopped at all
you know your life will end at last
when you here this call:

At the end of the song Anuionin let out a large battle crie.

He was proud of this song because it was not him, but a singer at the court of the lonly mountain made it.

As he went on he kept on singing battle songs.

"Haha nothing more than a little song to cheer up the battle, won't you say Hamfast?" Anuionin asked happaly. His happy mood was explained by the turn in event's and they where marching directly to the Warg's. Altough, he hoped that the Warg's where still there.
________
FAKE WEED

Old 12-31-2002, 10:32 AM   #76
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Glad to have the company of the cheery dwarf Hamfast smiled at Anuion, loving his attitude. He greatly appreciated his battle song, it reminded him of the songs of warriors he had heard in tales. This gave him strength and he continued on with a spring in his step.

Hamfast knew that anytime he felt homesick and thought of the cheery little hobbit hole he lived in with his dear wife and beautiful little children, he would just about turn around right on the spot and head for home. Except for the tales, the songs, the stories. He would remember, a long time gone now, when he was a small child and sat by the hearth and listened to the stories of battles and glory and romance and of far away lands. Hamfast felt like a hero marching along next to a dwarf with a pack on his back and a weapon near at hand. He told himself would never forget this day, though he hoped that that thought would last out the night.

[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 01-03-2003, 02:29 AM   #77
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

They had rested for a while once they returned to their lair. But early in the morning Carchmoroth got them up, saying that the two-leggeds, slow and stupid as they might be, would soon be after them.

The younger Wolves curled their lips at this, saying the two-leggeds were no match for them. Carchmoroth silenced them with a snap and a cold yellow stare. 'Their weapons are sharp and they bite deep and hard. They will fight for their pack as fiercely as will you. We must be wary of letting them sight us, for they will be relentless in their pursuit.'

He paced back and forth before the pack. He could feel the tension and anticipation build in them. 'We will seek them out, to see what they are doing. Were I them I would begin where last we killed.'

He halted in his pacing and motioned to Dûrêl. 'Take five of the biggest males and go south, near the hills where we drove that large herd - the one where your brother left the Men a small token of our esteem for them. Look for the group who will be trying to track us there. Harry them, and engage them if you wish. Kill whom you can.'

He stepped to where Dúgoroth stood, and stood shoulder to shoulder with him. 'We will take the rest of the pack, fifteen males and females, with us to scour the area around the Forest. Some of the searchers will be there. We will drive them back as we can, though I think we cannot kill them all.'

He raised his head and a bloodcurdling howl echoed across the grassy rolling hills of the downs and rang from the rocky ledges of Deadman's Dike. The pack raised their voices with his, and for a moment it seemed the dark spirit of Angband had come again to Fornost.

'Come, Wolves! Let us hunt the two-legs, even as they hunt us.'

And with that, they moved south like a dark swift shadow across the lowlands.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:15 PM   #78
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

While Gaddy and his company were travelling along the road to Chetwood, the scout party began to make their way to Weather Hills. Elfred knew the way the best, so he led them most of the way, then he traded off with Olo, who then traded off with Autumn, after his time was done. After about forty-five minutes into her tracking time, Autumn yelled and began running ahead of the rest of the scouting party; they had reached Weather Hills.

As the hobbit lass turned the corner she was confronted with a horrible sight and smell which rocked her senses and made her sick to her stomach. Autumn collapsed onto her knees trying to breath through her mouth instead of her nose, and, though this helped a little with the smell, it did not take away the horror of the sight. The rest of the scouting party ran over to Autumn and then nearly became as sick as the hobbit lass at the sight.

There, lying strewed all over the grass, were the torn apart bodies of the missing sheep of Bree. Most of their heads were ripped off and their guts thrown wildy over the area. The sheep's blood stained the grass completely red, and there was a horrible smell in the air of rotting flesh. The poor hobbits could see maggots crawling over the bodies of dead animals.

Next to Elfred, Nop howled and buried his head in his master's side. Slowly Autumn stood up and saw wolf and a few wargs tracks leading away from the horrible scene. The scout party decided that they would soon follow the tracks, but they nedded something to eat first, preferably nothing to do with meat. Choosing a spot not too far away, but far enough not to smell the dead sheep, the scouting party sat down and began to eat their meager meal of bread and dried fruit.

Further away Gaddy had just stopped at a farmer's house with his company for a light (for hobbits) lunch. The nice hobbit farmer had been so kind as to allow Gaddy and his comapny to dine with his wife and himself. There they had a very delicous and satisfying meal of mutton, mushrooms, bread, and dried fruit. After lunch the women in the company helped the wife to collect the dishes and wash them, while the men sat down to discuss their plans with the farmer. Then the company, along with the farmer began to leave.

As Gaddy turned around, from where he stood in the street looking at Chetwood not too far away, to check that everyone was there, he saw the farmer's wife slightly crying on the farmer's shoulder. it seemed that she did not want him to go and fight the wolves, but he thought that it was his duty to help save Bree. While Gaddy watched he saw the farmer's wife turn away from her husband, sobbing more than ever, and run back into her house. The farmer, looking quite sad, turned and went to join the group.

Then the company began to march down the road, and Gaddy made a promise in his heart to himself that he would make sure that that farmer would return home to his wife. 'I hope everyone else will too,' Gaddy thought to himself, 'I don't want to loose any of them.'

Gaddy turned his head slowly in the direction of the Weather Hills and sighed. He was wondering at that moment how the scouting party was doing. Then the hobbit turned back to the path laid out before him and the good people under his command.

[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: Galadel Vinorel ]
Old 01-05-2003, 09:57 PM   #79
Olo Gamwich
Animated Skeleton

Sting

After a friendly meeting with Elfred and a whimsical, comforting reunition with Autumn, Olo was ready for the task at hand. As part of the scouting group; one of alternate leaders through into the Weather Hills, an old spark of youthful enthusiasm took over him.

But at the sight of the massacre of sheep, Olo's vigor was smothered. The stench poisoned his lungs with disgust and the blood on the grass felt as if it was dripping from his own heart. It was a terrible experience, filling him with anger and loss.

The group found a spot to sit and eat, but the vision of the sheep was was branded on his mind and caused his stomach to go sour. When offered a small loaf of bread and a dried pear, Olo smiled but shook his head. He leaned back on a large stone and pulled out his pipe, and as he lit it he softly began to troll a hobbit song -

I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
in autumns that there were,
with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair

Olo puffed at his pipe and his eyelids began to get heavy. He didn't finish the song, but nodded off to sleep.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:50 AM   #80
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

As the little scouting party exited the inn, Ned's spirits were in high order. Elfred had impressed him mightily with his quarterstaff-cum-walking stick, and Ned knew he was in good company. Especially with Olo along as well. Ned constantly eyed the sword Olo carried as they walked. He hoped the older hobbit might take some time, maybe after lunch, to show Ned a few things. It was all very well to carry a soon to be famous sword, he thought, but I might need to use it, and then where would I be?

He was a little upset about not being allowed to lead the party at any point, but his common sense prevailed. After all, this was country he knew nothing about. Better to let- Then Autumn gave a yell and ran on ahead. Ned looked up from his musings and, holding his sheathed blade away from his legs this time, followed behind her at a run.

The sight was the most awful thing he'd ever seen, bar none. He swayed, feeling sick to his stomach as Autumn dropped to her knees in front of him.
"Oh... goodness." He managed, before dropping to his knees as well, and offering up breakfast to whoever might be watching.

He felt miserable, and wondered why he'd ever volunteered for this job. He was no hero. This was a job for Old Elfred, and Gaddy, not to mention the Big Folk.

The howling of a dog brought Ned back to himself. He dragged himself to his feet, and braced himself for another look. Yep, it was still awful. But he could sort of bear it now. Autumn pointed at something that Ned was too far away to see. Tracks, apparently. A fire started burning somewhere in his stomach region. He was going to find the beasts that had done this, and then... Well, he didn't know what then, but he was sure something would present itself.

Elfred clapped him on the back. "Steady on, young Brandybuck. We'd best be resting a bit before following those tracks any further. Come away here, and let's have some lunch."

Ned allowed himself to be led back to the group, out of sight of the horrible slaughter.