The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #601
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I agree with Lommy.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #602
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, I think with so many people as we have now, it does not matter whether there are twelve or ten people between your two turns. Depends on whether you think it's better or worse if you are still between the same people.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #603
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I don't see it a problem if someone is between the same people on both rounds as there is both the round of writing and the round of drawing so the rounds are reasonably different anyway.

But trying to build up a more "randomised" order which still retained enough people in between one's second turn would mean doing some work...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #604
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ah, indeed, I thought about it only now that in fact if you wanted to change the people, you'd have to also combinate it with who writes/draws, which makes it really hard... well, I think unless Lommy wants to try her logic skills, I'd leave the second round as it is.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #605
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hmmm... yes, I think it's best to leave it how it is.

I'll send the first sentence in a few minutes... *evil grin*

People can still sign in. (In case no one really wants the last spot - or three last spots or whatever - I have a backup player, so no worries.)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #606
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I've sent the first sentence now, and here's the list...

Thinlómien (write)
Legate of Amon Lanc (draw)
Hookbill the Goomba (write)
Aganzir (draw)
Beregond (write)
Nogrod (draw)
A Little Green (write)
The Might (draw)
Volo (write)
Rikae (draw)
Oddwen (write)
Macalaure (draw)
The Elf-warrior (write)
Folwren (draw)

-

Legate of Amon Lanc (write)
Hookbill the Goomba (draw)
Aganzir (write)
Beregond (draw)
Nogrod (write)
A Little Green (draw)
The Might (write)
Volo (draw)
Rikae (write)
Oddwen (draw)
Macalaure (write)
The Elf-warrior (draw)
Folwren (write)

Last edited by Thinlómien; 04-23-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #607
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
(In case no one really wants the last spot - or three last spots or whatever - I have a backup player, so no worries.)
Interesting!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #608
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Finduilas has induced me to join the ranks of madness.

Count me in.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #609
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Finduilas has induced me to join the ranks of madness.

Count me in.
It's about time you joined. Welcome!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #610
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
It's about time you joined. Welcome!
*bows* Thank you.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #611
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I've sent my sentence mere minutes after receiving it. You see, I'm not like these other people who have the preposterous idea of having a 'life'.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #612
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Having a life? Then you obviously don't know how long I was thinking about this and how long it took me to draw it...
Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #613
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Having a life? Then you obviously don't know how long I was thinking about this and how long it took me to draw it...
Just bear in mind that you don't have to rival the Sistine Chapel every time you do this...
Old 02-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #614
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Just bear in mind that you don't have to rival the Sistine Chapel every time you do this...
I thought you saw it...?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #615
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
You see, I'm not like these other people who have the preposterous idea of having a 'life'.
Yep, what you do instead is writing totally crazy sentences that are impossible to draw.

Sorry Lommy, it'll still take me a day or two. I'd be quicker if it wasn't for all the exams.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #616
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm going to be gone all next week, from Sunday the 10 to Sunday the 17, so if it comes my turn during that time, you'll know why I'm not getting onto it...it's cause I'll be away.

Just wanted to let you all know.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #617
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Yep, what you do instead is writing totally crazy sentences that are impossible to draw.
Exactly my thoughts as well! That's just plain ridiculous even thinking about drawing the sentence I got last night... Well, I'll have to come up with something.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #618
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry Nogrod, I did the best I could.

Last edited by Beregond; 02-08-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #619
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
Sorry Nogrod, I did the best I could.
I can see you did...
Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #620
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

We're less than halfaway through and I must say this round is insane already... I have high expections for the rest.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #621
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I often wonder, when beginning a PT, whether there will be anything that will remain in it throughout. I'm not sure how often one does and it is never the thing I think / hope it will be.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #622
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
The game is moving at quite a speed... I won't be able to draw anything next week, so please don't send me the phrase if you get so far then. Change the order, please, to get things going quicker.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:27 AM   #623
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
The game is moving at quite a speed... I won't be able to draw anything next week, so please don't send me the phrase if you get so far then. Change the order, please, to get things going quicker.
If we get to your turn before Saturday or Sunday next week, I'll swap your places with someone.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #624
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sorry it's taking so long to do the picture -- I'm sick, and have a 20 pg honors paper to write, and then there were my WW obligations - I'll get to it as soon as possible, though.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #625
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Wow! Already up to Macalaure!?
Best start the mental preparation for the soon incoming insanity, I suppose.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 02-20-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #626
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Now suppose somebody decided to randomly write something crazy that had nothing to do with the picture they'd received. What would happen then?
Old 02-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #627
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
Now suppose somebody decided to randomly write something crazy that had nothing to do with the picture they'd received. What would happen then?
If I were moding it, I'd ask said trouble maker to change it and not be so silly. I hope Lommy would do the same.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #628
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It took me a little bit longer, but now I finally finished it. Elf-warrior, prepare your pencil!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #629
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Is Elf-warrior not responding, Lommy?
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #630
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Palantir-Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Is Elf-warrior not responding, Lommy?
He hasn't been online since the 21st. But I left him a message on Facebook today (it looks like he has been checking Facebook about every day, but not BD... what a nasty person ), so I expect him to reply soon. So everything is under control, I hope.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #631
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

How's the picture coming along, Folwren? I hope it's REALLY bizarre!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #632
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

It will definitely be bizarre. I promise.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #633
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Have you paused the game, Lommy, or just not updated the list?

Sorry, I'm getting impatient!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #634
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Well, I'm waiting for Folwren to send in her picture... but of course there are technical difficulties as well...
Old 03-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #635
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Folwren was busy Friday and Saturday, and then went and got ill on Sunday, so it may be a while. But last time I saw the picture she was advancing beautifully, so she might be able to scrape it together for you soon.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 AM   #636
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
Folwren was busy Friday and Saturday, and then went and got ill on Sunday, so it may be a while. But last time I saw the picture she was advancing beautifully, so she might be able to scrape it together for you soon.
Let's hope she will... she's had it for almost two weeks...
Old 03-14-2008, 04:53 AM   #637
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I just PMed Folwren and asked about the picture... let's hope she reads it and makes haste if she hasn't finished the picture yet. I think we will be able to move on soon and then we're already halfaway through this very silly round...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #638
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
For Folwrens sake, would it be okay if some of the absurd details were left out? I know she has at least half of the sentence in the picture, would you be satisfied with that? If so, she could probably get it to you Sunday at the latest. (At least I hope so)

And really, to be fair, this forum mess up took a whole week, so you should say she's only had it one week.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #639
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
For Folwrens sake, would it be okay if some of the absurd details were left out? I know she has at least half of the sentence in the picture, would you be satisfied with that? If so, she could probably get it to you Sunday at the latest. (At least I hope so)

And really, to be fair, this forum mess up took a whole week, so you should say she's only had it one week.
I don't think it's always possible to get ALL the detail into a picture. As long as the general sense of the description is maintained then I usually call it fine. It's down to the artist, really.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #640
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
I don't think it's always possible to get ALL the detail into a picture. As long as the general sense of the description is maintained then I usually call it fine. It's down to the artist, really.
Agreed.

What's it with all this paper telephone perfectionism lately?