The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #761
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
When you are fretting and mulling over some sticky WW point while driving, so much so that you fail to stop for a nice lady and her dog on a pedestrian crossing, even though she has already started to cross. *covers face in shame*
Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #762
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

When you come back to post even after being gone for years
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #763
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Is it not more like 1 year thou Perky one ?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #764
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I just thought I would mention that I located the road "Ryttermarken" yesterday. . .It means "The Riddermark"

Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 AM   #765
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I discovered the surname "Gloin" on a headstone at the local cemetary.

What really surprised me was that I had never noticed it before since it it an older stone next to the footpath and although I only walk through that way nowadays if I am leaving the car at the garage for it's MOT or something, the graveyard is right next to my old school so I must have walked past it nearly every day for 5 years in the first height of my Tolkien addiction ...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #766
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe Not enough Pipes...

I realised how utterly beyond hope my Downs addiction is yesterday.

In one of my modules, we had to write about five people trying to cross a river. In complete lack of creativity, I decided to use some Downers as my characters:

I used; The Ka, The Barrow Wight, Lalwende, Davem and The Saucepan Man. If none of them mind, I may post this little story as soon as I get home.

The story was that the evil Mulkor, the Dragon from the pits of hell, was out to get them because The Saucepan Man had dropped one of his pans into his pit. They ran away from him and came to a river that, little did they know, marked the boarder into Faerie. They discuss for a time how to get across before finally walking across (it was shallow) and having many more adventures.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #767
Celegost
Pile O'Bones

Celegost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celegost
Shield

My street is called "greenways" (a bit like the greenway in the shire)
Old 03-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #768
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Your new hobbys is to click some user profile and when the address shows http://forum.barrowdowns.com/member.php?u=xxxx you just keep changing the four last numbers (the xxxx) and see what kind of people you come up with. It's interesting!

Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #769
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I just spent nearly eighty dollars on the Sims 2 and some expansion packs, almost exclusively to create a neighborhood filled with Barrow-Downers.

In case you don't know, The Sims is a program where you create little simulated people, buy or build them houses, give them jobs and manipulate relationships with other sims, and just generally run their lives.

If you are interested, I'm accepting applications here. No BDer will be added without their concent, except for I did do the BW, I will remove him if there is a problem.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #770
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
You've almost learned to type without looking at the keyboard.

(I wouldn't use the keyboard half this much if I wasn't here.)
Old 03-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #771
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Ooh, I wonders, does having most posts on this thread mean that I'm the most addicted to BD?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:05 AM   #772
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Ooh, I wonders, does having most posts on this thread mean that I'm the most addicted to BD?
No, it means you want to be the most addicted to BD. Which is quite a big sign of addiction itself.

Another symptome is checking this thread too often. In some cases, it might also develop in something called "Down-chondria". It is like hypochondria, except it does not apply to RL illnesses, but shows itself in that you are searching through this thread and checking what of the signs you can observe on yourself. So this is actually what you have, Lommy.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #773
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I'm debating whether I should accept that definition or whether I find in inacceptable...
Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #774
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
At work, I keep seeing this brand of clothes called "Gildan" - I keep reading it as "Glirdan". Or even thinking "Glirdan and Gil-Galad have a children's clothes business? Oh noooes!".

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #775
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
After trying to keep track of other WW players' time zones, you find yourself saying, at one AM: "Oh no! I have class in three hours! ...hmm, why is it still dark?"
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #776
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
When you find yourself bored one day and start to wander the net looking for other forums you could join, and being so utterly terrified by the mass-posting, illegibillity of posts and sheer mess you find that you run right back to the 'Downs and post in a nice, well-ordered, happy Mead Hall.

I'm such a wuss.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:09 PM   #777
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
When you find yourself bored one day and start to wander the net looking for other forums you could join,
Traitor, Traitor! ! !

She must be lynched. . .

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 04-16-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #778
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Traitor, Traitor! ! !

She must be lynched. . .
Love you too, Rune.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #779
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
++Kath
Old 04-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #780
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
When you come back to post even after being gone for years
Perky? Perky! Good PT there. I don't think I've seen that before.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:02 AM   #781
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
Traitor, Traitor! ! !

She must be lynched. . .
No, we must give her negative reputation...

Or else,
BURN HER! BURN HER!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:25 AM   #782
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Back to the topic...

That is more about addiction to Werewolf, actually, but I think addiction to Werewolf => addiction to the Downs. And the sign is...

Staying in invisible mode even though you are not currently playing.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-17-2007, 04:48 AM   #783
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I do not belive that to be sign of addiction to ww. . .I have done it, but that was more lazyness and sometimes it is just nice that people cannot see what you are doing.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:58 AM   #784
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Sure, sure... but not always...
Old 04-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #785
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Leaf The green sposts make me feel alive...

Funny, everytime I die in ww I rejoice that I can turn myself to visible... I just love those green spots!
Old 04-17-2007, 05:16 AM   #786
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Guilty.

At first, I didn't like the idea of turning invisible. I remember ages ago, someone started up a stalker thread and I sort of enjoyed the idea of being stalked on the Downs. But once I switched to invisible mode, I can't get myself to change back. I don't know...I guess I like feeling sneaky.

More signs/symptoms:

-Whenever a ww game is over, you can't help but wiggle in your chair, anxiously waiting for the next one to start. At least when you're killed off, you still have a game to watch, but when it's all over, I just don't seem to know what to do with myself (even though really I have plenty to do...it's just all happens to be RL stuff I'd rather not do).

-When you're doing research for a paper, and whenever you come across an article about a particular country, you can't help but to think of a Downer. For some reason, I kept coming across Danish articles even though I was researching about the American family, and each time I was somehow easily reminded of Rune. And now I'm using an article that does a study about intercultural relationships in Finland by an author from the University of Jyväskylä for a frame text (you may wonder how this article relates to the American family, but I promise you...I'm making it work..). But each time I look at this source, I can't help but think, "Hmm...I know people from Finland. Maybe only online, but..."

-Lastly, I think I might've posted this one years before, but: You know you're addicted when you're an American who starts spelling the English way. It can be a nuisance whenever that nasty red underline appears on Word. Plus, I remember I was marked down in an essay a few years back because the teacher claimed I was spelling certain words wrong. Stupid U.S. spelling...it has never made sense to me. I mean, when do you ever pronounce the 'z' in realize?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:36 AM   #787
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
That is more about addiction to Werewolf, actually, but I think addiction to Werewolf => addiction to the Downs. And the sign is...

I think I've been invisible for the last three months at least!
It would be embarrassing if people knew how much time I really spend here...

although that would mean they were here, too...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:12 AM   #788
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Ring You know you're suffering from a bad werewolf addiction when...

you keep playing it even though it is at times as frustrating as it's fun since you don't have a net access home.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #789
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
I mean, when do you ever pronounce the 'z' in realize?
Huh?

Do you mean that you, an American, pronounce realize as "reel - - - ice" .. ... and not as "reel - - - - eyes"?

Wow!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #790
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Though she still has someway to go ... putting the 'a' in the word for starters!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #791
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Do you mean that you, an American, pronounce realize as "reel - - - ice" .. ... and not as "reel - - - - eyes"?
Well, actually it's more like whenever I see the American spelling, I read it as "real-lyezz" (or something like that...I can never spell what I'm trying to pronounciate). When I say it aloud, I can't hear the "z," so it just looks misplaced to me.

Anyways, my spelling isn't always consistent one way or another (just in case you guys start reading my posts extra carefully from now on ). Being around the Downs so much, I guess I start seeing certain words spelled one way and I after a while, I start spelling them that way myself out of habit...
Old 04-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #792
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Boots You know you're obsessed with BD when...

...almost every thread in the active topics has a white dot telling you've posted on the thread.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #793
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

You linger in the school library, hanging on the 'downs while you could be home, reading your newly achieved copy of CoH!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #794
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
You linger in the school library, hanging on the 'downs while you could be home
Didn't you mean: You linger in the school library, hanging on the 'downs while you should be in the homeroom teacher's class!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #795
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Probably lame and old:

You can use all of the text editing commands off by heart without earlier practise.

EDIT: Though I've had them for several months, I just now noticed that 2/9 of my computer backgrounds are BD related. (I have a program that changes my background every time I login Windows.)

Last edited by Volo; 04-21-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #796
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry if this has been said before:

You type out the text editing cues not only on BD, but on your blog, and in your own writing.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #797
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
You make puns like "Were-tirement" when thinking about coming out of "Were-tirement".
Old 04-22-2007, 02:06 AM   #798
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

You use THIS Firefox skin, just because it goes well with the Downs (same greenish colour)
Old 04-23-2007, 04:11 AM   #799
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Didn't you mean: You linger in the school library, hanging on the 'downs while you should be in the homeroom teacher's class!
No, I did not mean that even though that's true as well!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #800
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Your new hobbys is to click some user profile and when the address shows http://forum.barrowdowns.com/member.php?u=xxxx you just keep changing the four last numbers (the xxxx) and see what kind of people you come up with. It's interesting!
Gah, thanks to this, I can't fully consentrate on the riddle-writing...