The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-24-2002, 12:34 PM   #1
ReededGoat
Animated Skeleton

ReededGoat has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Howard Shore is the man (*TTT Soundtrack*)

I just can't get over how amazing the score is...the theme for Rohan is one of the best ever! The choice of different cultural instruments to represent different characters and situations gives this score a depth that many scores lack. Shore is a creative genius, in my opinion (he has been my favorite living film composer for quite some time). He is so brilliantly eclectic, and I'm still giddy about the fact that he is doing the music for these films. They benefit much from his touch.<BR>There are many obvious things that could have been done with this score that would have made it cliche and boring, and he's avoided that wonderfully. Imagine Gandalf's fall with the Balrog into the underground sea without those vocals - impossible.<P>Thanks for reading my ranting and raving...just got the CD yesterday as a gift and have been listening endlessly (didn't get it when it came out because I like to see the film before I listen to the music to it)<P>(title edited by moderator)<p>[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
ReededGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The music, for me, is another character in the film.<P>And a luscious one, at that!
Old 12-24-2002, 02:04 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Its amazing, suitable music. It really gets me whenever some reviewer complains about the music in the films because I love it and really think it has added so much.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:36 PM   #4
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

o.O I love the score, especially "Gollum's song"...creepy...
Old 12-24-2002, 03:07 PM   #5
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Hawkeye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, he did a fantastic job on it! Every time I listen to it i hear something new. It has such depth...I can't imagine the movie without the music.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:25 PM   #6
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it'll most definitley win another oscar.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:41 PM   #7
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I hope so. It sure deserves it!
Old 12-24-2002, 03:50 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The music is so amazing in these movies, it is so wonderful. I too loved the theme for <BR>Rohan, it is so amazing with the strings and everything, and I loved how Howard Shore brought back (in a way)the theme they had used at the end of FOTR, for the end of TTT (I'm talking about when Sam gives his speech)
Old 12-24-2002, 05:22 PM   #9
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just compare Shore's score to the one that John Williams did to Harry Potter 2. ...!! <BR>Or on second thought, don't. They aren't comparable.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 05:24 PM   #10
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I absolutely LOVE the music he composed for the movies. Especially "The King of the Golden Hall" and "Isengard Unleashed". The music just fits in so well w/ the emotion of the scene it's put with.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:24 PM   #11
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Rohan theme is gorgeous - I like the music a lot! I listened to both CD's in a row yesterday! <P>In the Rohan theme: <P>It's actually a Hardangerfela = Hardanger violin/fiddle - it's a Norwegian folk music instrument. Violin like, but a bit bigger as I recall (more like a viola?) & with extra strings attached underneath to provide extra sound & volume. There are probably other differences as well, but I'll leave that to experts.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:57 AM   #12
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Well whatever it was, it was gorgeous. Go Howard Shore! When I first heard the soundtrack I wasn't sure if I liked that many vocals, (there are quite a few) but they work perfectly in the movie. And the Rohan theme is great. I especially liked the part in Meduseld when everyone's fighting and Gandalf's coming towards Theoden. There's a subtle...Hardangerfela...sound, and it's really high and sounds distressed. I notice that every time and I love it. If Mr. Shore doesn't win another Oscar, I'm going to be out for the judges' blood.
Old 12-25-2002, 12:51 PM   #13
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It's actually a Hardangerfela <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So that's what it was! My sister thought it sounded like a bagpipe chanter, but I thought it was a violin. It's perfect. It speaks for the characters, especially the scene when Eowyn is standing at Meduseld and the banner rips and blows away. Without that piercing note, it would be good, but not great.<P>I was amazed at how gracefully and poignantly Shore brought together all the themes at the end. A person could almost see that movie just for the music.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:10 PM   #14
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I was wondering what that instrument was! I knew it sounded kind of similar to a fiddle, but it didn't sound quite the same. <BR>The music sooo completes the whole movie! Sometimes when i listen to the FOTR soundtrack i can basically watch the whole movie in my head, just from the music. And the TTT music is just as descriptive! <P>(Merry Christmas, everybody!)
Old 12-26-2002, 02:29 PM   #15
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the music, for both films.It's amazing!It's hard to imagine who could beat that at the Oscars!
Old 12-27-2002, 12:00 PM   #16
Earendil evening star
Animated Skeleton

Earendil evening star has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The score is fantastic yes!<BR>I haven't bought it yet (fingers crossed i'm getting it for my birthday)<BR>I loved the first one as well.<BR>i don't think it is ever out of my Cd player. <BR>I listen to it every singlenight before i go to sleep.<BR>I think enya's songs are beautiful and the Nazgul music really freaks me out.<P>I can't wait to get the second one because the Rohan music is great!
Old 01-03-2003, 11:14 AM   #17
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

i Loved #6 on the track. it is the scene where the flag flutters down to the gate. that is actually one of my fave parts. but the sound has the little aragorn music, the rohan theme and somethin else. (my three fave tunes)
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 12:19 PM   #18
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I enjoyed the soundtrack to this movie aswell, but after to I listened to it, I think I must say that I liked the first soundtrack better....but after hearing what everyone is saying, I'll definitely have to listen more to the second soundtrack and give it a few more chances. <P>I totally agree that Howard Shore is a genius though. He has added so much to the movie. It wouldn't be quite the same without all the fantastic music he provided.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 12:43 PM   #19
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the soundtrack! It is soo good! I have one question though, in what track is "the missing" in?
Old 01-03-2003, 08:25 PM   #20
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

the missing is not in evenstar, i followed the words. but where it is is a mystery to me.
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote