The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #241
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Hardly a ringing endorsement. Who gets to be Jar Jar? My money's on Bombur.
Actually, people have compared Radagast to Jar Jar. Apparently, PJ has Radagast driving a sled pulled by bunnies and has his hair and beard literally covered in birdsh*t. No lie. Radagast literally has a bird's nest in his hair. I am not joking.
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #242
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostPilgrim View Post
Actually, people have compared Radagast to Jar Jar. Apparently, PJ has Radagast driving a sled pulled by bunnies and has his hair and beard literally covered in birdsh*t. No lie. Radagast literally has a bird's nest in his hair. I am not joking.
While in the books "Radagast the Simple" did indeed seem to be of a less lofty mold than the other Istari we see, I hate to think of him reduced to that level. What is this? A parody?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #243
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
With LotR they were restricted in what they could do - there was just so much they had to include from the books. Certainly they played around with episodes in the book but there was little stuff they actually invented outright. The problem with TH is you've got enough material for a good three hour movie but its stretched over 9 hours. To do that you either massively over-extend each episode to the point almost of filming it in slo-mo, or you invent six hours of stuff & insert it at various points in the three hour story. Actually, from many of the reviews I've read they've gone for a mixture of the two. Eru knows what we'll get in the extended editions.

Too much of the new stuff seems to smack of loss of control, not knowing what to do with the time they have to fill, & frankly of boredom on the part of the writer/director. I don't pick up the same level of 'excitement' coming from Jackson/Boyens this time as I did back in the LotR days.

I think its a foregone conclusion that the first movie will be a mega hit, but I wonder about the second..
davem is offline   Reply With Quote