The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2001, 06:31 PM   #1
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Newspaper Article turns sour

<BR>Look what I dug out of the Weekly Telegraph this morning.<br> <br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> Why 180m Pound Frodo could be more than a match for Harry Potter</b><br> ...Everyone in the world with internet access seems to have strong opinions about <i> Lord of the Rings</i>, and has posted them on websitess. Around 400 sites devoted to the production contian sentiments ranging from orgasmic anticipation to grave foreboding.<br> Some sites tell you how many minutes remain before the <i> Fellowship of the Ring</i> opens nearly 20 months hence. The ability and charisma of actors cast in the most minor roles is minutely discussed; Sean Connery, rather than MacKellen, is the preferred Gandalf in some chat rooms. The over-arching question is: can the films possibly be as good as the books? Reading these postings in bulk becomes depressing; one begins to feel that these people badly need to get a life.<hr></blockquote><br> <br> Some people... <p>Gwaihir the Windlord <I><A href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">the barrow-downs</A></I><BR> 'Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor,<BR> for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever,<BR> and the Dark Tower is thrown down.'<BR></p>
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 08:11 PM   #2
Zoe
Wight

Zoe has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Well <i> obviously</i> it's only those who think that Sean Connery should be Gandalf who need to get a life. <p></p>
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 03:28 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ring

<BR><br><br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> &quot;.....one begins to feel that these people badly need to get a life.&quot;<hr></blockquote><br> <br> One begins to feel reporters are the Orcs of our times. <br> <br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> &quot;...yet they made only brutal jargons,scarcely sufficient even for their own needs,unless it were for curses and abuse.And these creatures,being filled with malice,hating even their own kind...&quot;<hr></blockquote> <p>Manwë keep you under the One, and send fair wind to your sails. </p>
Old 01-24-2001, 07:03 AM   #4
Taimar
Spirit of the Downfallen West

Taimar has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Well said, Inziladun. It can truly be stated that JRRT`s work contains a quote for every occasion. <p></p>
Taimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 07:31 AM   #5
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dűm

the Lorien wanderer has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> &quot;Jo parajit hain woh to hain hi. Par jo haare huon ke bare mein baat karte hain, unki haalat par daya karo.&quot;<br> That, roughly translated means, this - Those who have lost and are absolutley hopeless and geeky are the losers. But those who write and gossip endlessly about those losers, they REALLY need to get a life.<br> Of course, the fact remains that there's nothing geeky or hopeless about discussing the movie... <br> <p>Not all those who wander are lost.</p>
the Lorien wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 11:35 AM   #6
Nazgoth

Ring

<BR><br><br> The first time IVe seen MacKellen was in X-Men and I thought he was very good. I think he'll make an excellent Gandalf. <p>Lord of the site <a href="http://ring-lord.tripod.com">Ring Lord </a></p>
Old 02-01-2001, 05:31 PM   #7
Suldaledhel
Eru's Gift

Suldaledhel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Some reporters should stop complaining about those who need to get lives, and get one of their own.... And reporters wonder why they are loathed by many people... <p>"See, half-brother! This is sharper than thy tounge. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be master of thralls." -Feanor to Fingolfin- -=I may be found merrymaking at <a href=http://www.barrowdowns.com/>The Barrow Downs</a>=- </p>
Suldaledhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 07:24 PM   #8
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Ring

<BR><br><br> Almost as much as lawyers, right Mithadan <p></p>
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 11:32 PM   #9
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sean Connery, rather than MacKellen, is the preferred Gandalf in some chat rooms. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sean Connery?? I can see it:<BR>"You cannot pass! I am Bond, James Bond, an agent of the Secret Service, Wielder of all kinds of neat little spy gadgets! Dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udűn. Go back to the shadow (Besides, don't you know the Cold War is history?)! You shall not pass!!<P>Come on...<BR>But--a life?? Er--the movie was what, three hours? And there's talk here, but I do not stay home from my job reading the LOTR books, putting posts here or admiring my LOTR collection, for goodness' sake...
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 11:56 PM   #10
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>one begins to feel that these people badly need to get a life. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Well, it seems that someone hasn't read the books, and if that someone has, whats the harm in a bit of gossip every now and then anyways?
Old 08-22-2002, 11:27 AM   #11
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I agree with Lorien Wanderer... Those who write about people without lives make them selves appear sadder than their subjects.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:19 PM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Get a life?

Not only is that an insult, but it's immature. I write for my school's paper and writing something like "get a life" is a big no no.

You do not insult thousands of people, especially if you don't know them. Just because we love LOTR, it doesn't mean nothing else is important to us. Everyone has an interest. Ours happens to be LOTR.

If this reporter really wanted to express his/her opinion that people are wasting their time talking about LOTR, then he/she does NOT say that we need to get a life. Instead, he/she should say their opinion with kinder words. And if this article is not to be an editorial, he/she should not be saying what they think at all.

Personally, I am very disappointed that this reporter could not find any better story to write than this one.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:38 PM   #13
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Personally, I am very disapointed that this reporter could not find any other story to write than this one <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally agree with that. Who wants to read a reporter complaining about what people think? Where I'm from this reporter would be in huge trouble for telling others to get a life.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:48 PM   #14
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

reporters are simply jealous of people such as JRRT because they simply do the same thing, write words 4 money yet JRRT was a genius and they make peanuts 4 the filth they produce<p>[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 08-22-2002, 06:52 PM   #15
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Another thing is that at least we are talking about literature, I mean, think of all of those chat rooms and things where people spend there time, not that that is bad of corce. But we are reading a lot, mostly useing proper english, and most people have read the books. I'd say that it is better to talk about LOTR then basically nothing. Don't you?
Old 08-22-2002, 09:09 PM   #16
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Eh. After you've gotten wasted at too many parties, having what other people refer to as "a life" seems overrated anyway. I'd rather stay in and read a book than socialize with the morons down the hall.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:17 PM   #17
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

I'm tyring to remember a certain quote. "Deep is profound".. no, no, that's not it. Something about depth or deep. How did that go again? EDIT: "Because Depth is the greatest of heights." (Thanks, Lush.)<P>Anyway, point being, that depth is available in literature, good literature; but it is rarely plumbed entirely by one person; so discussing the depths helps us explore them. And when the depths involve what Tolkien gave us-- in all its glory and splendor-- that can point us to Real Life. As in, the way, the truth, the life... And that is Getting A Life. One that lasts. And lasts.<p>[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 08-22-2002, 11:22 PM   #18
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I read things like that, I always think about what those kind of people do for fun.<P>Lush, your description of the morons down the hall are the exact kind of ppl that I think of when I hear comments made such as those.<P>And really, what exactly is the problem with anticipating a commemoration to a great author? Nothing at all. <P>I wonder if he has a problem with the local book club talking about when the next Stephen King novel is due? Or if he disses the ppl expecting the third Star Wars Movie?<P>Also, I wonder what this person looks forward to in life and what he discusses with his/her friends...

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote